Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: KROQ says Star Wars land in DCA

Sorry, but people who are saying it fits DCA's theme because LucasFilm is based in California, I can't help but laugh. Just about every film studio is based in California. So could any film to ever be made in California or for the studio to be based in California fits the theme of DCA? Thats probably about 99% of films made in the USA.

• Doombuggy Rider

Speculative Rumor Indeed (& where would a STAR WARS land go in DCA? Even if you got rid of BUGS LAND - which I'm all for - it's still not enough to offer a STAR WARS land, but it would be enough space to expand CARS LAND) ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Sorry, but people who are saying it fits DCA's theme because LucasFilm is based in California, I can't help but laugh. Just about every film studio is based in California. So could any film to ever be made in California or for the studio to be based in California fits the theme of DCA? Thats probably about 99% of films made in the USA.
    Exactly. It's like saying they could place an attraction based on Sahara there just because it was filmed in Imperial County.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    There really isn't any space for it unless they took out bugs land. Although I am a Star Wars fan, I wouldn't want an entire land for it in a park with a California theme.
    even if they removed bugsland there would not be room for a proper Star Wars land. Bugsland is landlocked and it is quite a tiny area.

I agree with you a star wars land in DCA which is mostly based on California themes makes little sense.

Their best bet is to clear out most of tomorrowland and re-theme it to star wars. Autopia, Innoventions area, pizza port, tomorrowland terrace (already has jedi training) observatron and Space mountain along with star tours would make that whole side of the land one unified theme.

Space mountain would just require some minor theme elements in its queue to make it fit

only buzz lightyear would not fit and should really be replaced now
    Last edited by Baloo; 02-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I don't think that it would be practical to expand over the street into Simba. Besides they really need that space for another hotel and a new parking structure.

I really wish they would turn the simba lot into a hotel resort area like it was planned during the westcot idea was thrown around with possibly an expansion of DTD going down towards that area instead of north. The hotels should have underground parking

a parking structure should be built in the Pumba lot and another one north of the Disneyland hotel but in the western area of the property.

Star wars and Marvel should really be saved for a third gate. It would make sense to make a fully immersive park with some of its big franchises that they now own and keep Pixar and Walt Disney studios properties for the other parks

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think saving Marvel, Star Wars, and even Avatar would be good for a third gate. Add in non-Disneyland-represented properties like Lion King, Aladdin, and Tangled and there is lots of potential.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Ralph Garmin at KROQ isn't exactly a qualified source. Just sayin...
    That's why I said take it for what it's worth.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Ralph probably misunderstood a rumor about a DHS land and reported it as DCA.

Unless Disney is still thinking that DHS and DCA are basically two versions of the same theme park, like Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. Unless they are trying to fit Star Wars into both parks like Midway Mania. But I doubt it, there isn't enough room in California, unless they find it in Disneyland's Tomorrowland / Backstage or they build the third park.

I like the idea of expanding DCA behind Paradise Pier Hotel, but only if it makes thematic sense, not for Star Wars.
    Ralph probably got the story from this article at Ain't It Cool News:
    But the wild success of THE AVENGERS and the anticipated gargantuan STAR WARS with JJ Abrams directing.. it has reformatted alot of Disney's plan. IMAGINEERING had been working up ideas for a grand expansion at DISNEYLAND that was to bring Frank L Baum's OZ into a fully realized extension of the park, and while I'd love to go there... The word I'm hearing now is they've dropped that in lieu of a STAR WARS extension in California Adventure Park.
    1st Stand Alone STAR WARS Movie?!?!?! - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Their best bet is to clear out most of tomorrowland and re-theme it to star wars.
    Please no. Tomorrowland is supposed to be about a better brighter tomorrow for mankind. The current ride fits into that as it shows how we may achieve interstellar tourism one day in our future. I wouldn't want the entire land to become that, though.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I'm afraid many of you aren't very well acquainted with the work of Harry Knowles, the head writer over at Aintitcoolnews where this was most likely sourced from. To put it mildly, he's a simple man. As someone who's followed that site for years, I'd put about as much stock in what he's "heard" about Disney's future themepark plans as I would coming from a raving transient under a 405 overpass.

In short: move along people, there's nothing to see here.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Seeker of Fun

I could see something in Tomorrowland..but DCA? Nah.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Banned User

The purpose of DCA was too keep out-of-town guests on property by replicating what California offers outside of the berm, such as:

1. Generic Knott's Berry farm river ride . . . Grizzly River Run check.
    2. Hollywood . . . Hollywoodland, check.
    3. Golden Gate bridge, check, oops uncheck.
    4. Cheap strip mall, check, and uncheck with BVS.
    5. Cheap boardwalk amusement ride check.
    6. Northern Californian wilderness lodge, Redwoods, check, check.
    7. Run-down pier buildings, check.
    8. Unthemed rollercoaster, check.

Then Disney realized people wanted Disney characters and theming to something else than present day California.

Carsland is more northern Arizona than California, and Monument Valley is in Colorado. I know folks see some elements of California in Radiator Springs, but there isn't much, if anything, that is uniquely Californian about it as the vast majority of the small towns Radiator Springs was based on lie outside of California.

Mermaid has nothing to do with California, and was added in an attempt to turn-around DCA, as was Toy Story Mania which was given the pier side amusement park facade to make it fit in Paradise Pier along with Mermaid.

Not saying that California doesn't have a lot to see, but DCA 1.0 didn't celebrate California, it was the biggest human trap built by a mouse to make guests think that they could stay on property and experience California in Disneyland's parking lot. I don't see inspiration in DCA's California theme, I see a pathetic, almost dishonest, marketing scheme to try to "rip off" California, but done in a super cheap way.

Disneyland Paris wasn't a success right off the bat, Eisner went with a cheap "whatever" theme park in Disneyland's parking lot using off-the-shelf-rides, hoping to make money and avoid having to pay for expensive quality like in Paris. Well, Goofy's Sky School is still there, and it is still as cheap and as crappy looking as ever.

Anyway . . . the California theme didn't really work as it was done cheaply and people's don't want to experience present day California and gawk at the Paradise Pier Hotel. BVS in 1920's LA, and an idealized version, and Carsland is mostly Colorado, Arizona, and Route 66, and isn't specifically California.

I say rip out Paradise Pier (and Mermaid), and put in something other than present day California. Won't happen soon because Carsland/BVS was major $$$ and they'll want to wait a decade for it pay off. Carsland is reeling in customers, no need to add anything new now, unless the rest of DCA really suffers.

DCA 2.0 is a Frankenstein park, love Carsland, BVS is good, and the rest is still pretty tacky looking. A lot of good rides have horrible facades, such as Muppets, Bug's Life. Mermaid was done on the cheap, Toy Story is OK to good, and a whole lot of cheap carnival rides remain.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 02-11-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The purpose of DCA was too keep out-of-town guests on property by replicating what California offers outside of the berm, such as:

1. Generic Knott's Berry farm river ride . . . Grizzly River Run check.
    2. Hollywood . . . Hollywoodland, check.
    3. Golden Gate bridge, check, oops uncheck.
    4. Cheap strip mall, check, and uncheck with BVS.
    5. Cheap boardwalk amusement ride check.
    6. Northern Californian wilderness lodge, Redwoods, check, check.
    7. Run-down pier buildings, check.
    8. Unthemed rollercoaster, check.

Then Disney realized people wanted Disney characters and theming to something else than present day California.

Carsland is more northern Arizona than California, and Monument Valley is in Colorado. I know folks see some elements of California in Radiator Springs, but there isn't much, if anything, that is uniquely Californian about it as the vast majority of the small towns Radiator Springs was based on lie outside of California.

Mermaid has nothing to do with California, and was added in an attempt to turn-around DCA, as was Toy Story Mania which was given the pier side amusement park facade to make it fit in Paradise Pier along with Mermaid.

Not saying that California doesn't have a lot to see, but DCA 1.0 didn't celebrate California, it was the biggest human trap built by a mouse to make guests think that they could stay on property and experience California in Disneyland's parking lot. I don't see inspiration in DCA's California theme, I see a pathetic, almost dishonest, marketing scheme to try to "rip off" California, but done in a super cheap way.

Disneyland Paris wasn't a success right off the bat, Eisner went with a cheap "whatever" theme park in Disneyland's parking lot using off-the-shelf-rides, hoping to make money and avoid having to pay for expensive quality like in Paris. Well, Goofy's Sky School is still there, and it is still as cheap and as crappy looking as ever.

Anyway . . . the California theme didn't really work as it was done cheaply and people's don't want to experience present day California and gawk at the Paradise Pier Hotel. BVS in 1920's LA, and an idealized version, and Carsland is mostly Colorado, Arizona, and Route 66, and isn't specifically California.

I say rip out Paradise Pier (and Mermaid), and put in something other than present day California. Won't happen soon because Carsland/BVS was major $$$ and they'll want to wait a decade for it pay off. Carsland is reeling in customers, no need to add anything new now, unless the rest of DCA really suffers.

DCA 2.0 is a Frankenstein park, love Carsland, BVS is good, and the rest is still pretty tacky looking. A lot of good rides have horrible facades, such as Muppets, Bug's Life. Mermaid was done on the cheap, Toy Story is OK to good, and a whole lot of cheap carnival rides remain.
    Now tell us how you really feel about DCA...

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Please no. Tomorrowland is supposed to be about a better brighter tomorrow for mankind. The current ride fits into that as it shows how we may achieve interstellar tourism one day in our future. I wouldn't want the entire land to become that, though.
    Are you saying life wouldn't be better AND brighter with lightsabers?!
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    Are you saying life wouldn't be better AND brighter with lightsabers?!
    I’m not saying that at all. As cool as it would be to own a lightsaber (imagine how easy it would be to open a can of Spaghetti O’s!), I wouldn’t want the entire land to become that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast