Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Sock Puppet

Re: KROQ says Star Wars land in DCA

Disney pretty much used up all the remaining space when Carsland was built, and I think that land is too small for what it should be, I don't see this becoming something, NOW if they were to plan on scraping Avatarland at Disney World and make plans for a Star Wars land there, this idea I would welcome

• -

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    NOW if they were to plan on scraping Avatarland at Disney World and make plans for a Star Wars land there, this idea I would welcome
    The Star Wars universe fits into Animal Kingdom about as well as it does California Adventure.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The Star Wars universe fits into Animal Kingdom about as well as it does California Adventure.
    Each movie or character fits into the theme parks with different effect. Shouldn't it be pointed out that the Pixar characters are much more versatile. They found homes in Disneyland, DCA, and DHS.

With Star Wars, it fits better in Tomorrowland. It won't work at all in DCA since this land has absolutely NO science fiction themed area. This is true for Avatar; however, Avatar will work in Animal Kingdom if they only focused on Pandora and avoid showing any space ships and military vehicles despite the fact that in the movie, they do fly into the planet and destroy it. They should do a character-less approach by not showing the blue-men. Landscapes and adventures is more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Mermaid has nothing to do with California, and was added in an attempt to turn-around DCA, as was Toy Story Mania which was given the pier side amusement park facade to make it fit in Paradise Pier along with Mermaid.
    Little Mermaid and Midway Mania are very relevant for the Paradise Pier area and California history. Pier and Boardwalk amusement parks used to be very prevalent in California and dark rides were staples at these parks. Unfortunately, there are few surviving examples. The facade of each attraction ties in with the theme of the area, but the "dark ride" concept itself ties into the history of these parks that used to line the California shoreline from San Diego to San Francisco and is very California relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Disneyland Paris wasn't a success right off the bat, Eisner went with a cheap "whatever" theme park in Disneyland's parking lot using off-the-shelf-rides, hoping to make money and avoid having to pay for expensive quality like in Paris. Well, Goofy's Sky School is still there, and it is still as cheap and as crappy looking as ever.
    What you say is not true. Nothing in DCA was really "off-the-shelf". Some of the ride systems were right out of the catalog, but each had a unique theme applied. The fact is Disneyland has it's share of "off-the-shelf" ride systems as well. Applying your logic I assume you also hate Dumbo, The Tea Cups, Astro-Orbitor, and the King Arthur Carousel just as much. Not every attraction is always going to be a custom creation.

Personally, I think DCA was a good park when it opened, but it has become an even better park over the past decade. I'm glad Disney didn't execute a perfect park to begin with. Universal built a nearly perfect theme park when they built Islands of Adventure. However, that park sat stagnant for nearly 10 years until they added Harry Potter. Unlike IOA the past 12 years at DCA have been filled with exciting changes, new attractions, upgrades and more. I've really enjoyed seeing the park evolve into what is now my favorite Disney theme park. It was my #2 Disney park at opening and surpassed Disneyland in my opinion with the opening of Cars Land.

However, Star Wars land doesn't fit into DCA at all and I think the rumor is entirely bogus. I suspect that if Disney wishes to expand the Star Wars presence in their parks they will either do so in Tomorrowland or consider it for a new park. With the current success and increasing demand in Anaheim I think the third gate is likely going to become a reality in the next decade.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    Tomorrowland worked in Walt's time because what tomorrow would bring was an interest of Walt's. Where are the futurists of today? Right now all I hear is gloom and doom, global warming this, overpopulation that, the fall of America and the rise of China, etc.

I would like to see us dream of a happier future, but that's not the corporate culture at Disney. It's more about branding, so IMO a Star Wars land is more likely.
    In Walt's time the Cold War was in full force! I think Tomorrowland should really go what Paris has done and make it Discoveryland.
    Jeff Wayne

• -

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I think Tomorrowland should really go what Paris has done and make it Discoveryland.
    Please, please no. I would much rather have a modern version of Tomorrowland '67 instead of some steam punk inspired Tomorrowland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456