Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why are we infatuated with expanding disneyland every year?

I really don't see how they can ever add a third park. Does anyone have an aerial view of Disneyland? Honestly, there is no space at all. Disney World is where the space is at and maybe if Walt bought as much land for Disneyland as he did for WDW then there wouldn't be a question at all. I just can't see where there is room for a new park. As for Disneyland itself, well, there are a few pockets of space to add something new but not a whole lot. This doesn't mean Disney should ever rest on its laurels, I just don't think the park is going to get any bigger.

• Sock Puppet

While I don't feel as though Disneyland needs a new attraction every single year, I do enjoy when new things are being done with the Resort. Not only does it give me something to look forward to, but it also provides more things to do, and it distracts people from my favorite rides.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    I really don't see how they can ever add a third park. Does anyone have an aerial view of Disneyland? Honestly, there is no space at all. Disney World is where the space is at and maybe if Walt bought as much land for Disneyland as he did for WDW then there wouldn't be a question at all. I just can't see where there is room for a new park. As for Disneyland itself, well, there are a few pockets of space to add something new but not a whole lot. This doesn't mean Disney should ever rest on its laurels, I just don't think the park is going to get any bigger.
    I think they're talking about the toy story parking lot. It's a little south of the resort.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Disney owns the large area of land currently occupied by the Toy Story lot. Rumor has it that they also own the land under many of the area hotels as well. Plenty of room for a third gate.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    They can keep raising prices, but attendance to Disneyland has went down because DCA is now successful with Carsland. To bring balance to the theme parks, Disneyland has to expand with new attractions. At minimum, the old and tired attractions can be retired and new attractions added. This is especially true in the botched Tomorrowland makeover in 1998. In the future, the park can definitely expand like the constantly talked about Frontierland expansion at the Big Thunder Ranch location. Of course, they can also expand Toontown further and add attractions in the former Motor Boat Cruise area in front of the Matterhorn.
    I'm not so sure about attendance going down. They had record breaking attendance for both parks after Carsland opened through the holidays. Like the most people they have EVER had in 50 years.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

I think they need expansions to improve capacity. Even with Cars Land I still feel DCA is one or two expansions away from being a true full day park. Disneyland could stand to see some of its space better utilized to alleviate the congestion that occurs even on moderate days.

• former CM

STAGGSnation to overtake Disney in 2015?

Nothing stays the same. Theme parks, like restaurants, are either improving or declining.
    Disneyland in the years before Matt Ouimet led it renaissance for it's 50th Anniversary,
    and Walt Disney World over the last 12 or so years
    (when contrasted with the first 30 years) are cautionary tales about what happens when parks are content to just hold the course and increase profits by cutting costs and raising prices.

I'm not writing anything controversial when recalling that George H.W. Bush also did this after Operation Desert Storm when he just sat on his 91% approval rating till it gradually shrank and he was voted out at the end of his first term. He admitted he didn't have "that vision thing."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12