Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Can DLR support the MyMagic+ system?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The system can only track you when you make payments, enter a park, or tap it at one of the glowing entry points. Stopping into shops and walking around the park to take pictures isn't something that Disney will be able to track.
    Ok, that makes me feel 1% better since I won't be putting a card on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Disney has spent a fortune developing this program, and I have no doubt it's coming whether people want it or not.

Like so much of what they do. They don't care what the public wants, we get what's imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    AP holders can get the MagicBands for free. If they don't want them new APs will have an RFID chip in them to use.

Hmmm... one day tickets are looking better. Won't be worthwhile to have a chip in a ticket used for only one day. I don't want a chip. Or maybe get a band to satisfy the bean-counters who want everybody to have one, and then mysteriously lose it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The system can only track you when you make payments, enter a park, or tap it at one of the glowing entry points. Stopping into shops and walking around the park to take pictures isn't something that Disney will be able to track.
    According to Disney's application to the FCC for its "Magic Band" device, these things aren't just passive RFID tags, they're also radio transmitters. That means a network of receivers can use the signal to track your position on Disney property.

A brief article about them is here, which also contains a link to Disney's FCC filing.

From Disney's FCC application:

The EUT is a wrist-worn arm band operating in the 2.4 GHz band. It can be considered a portable transmitter per 47 CFR 2.1093 because it can be used within 20cm of the user’s torso. The antenna is internal to the unit and permanently attached. The antenna is an inverted F antenna with 0 dBi of gain. The maximum peak conducted output power is 0.687 mW.

Note that the 20cm referred to in the application is not the range of the transmitter, it's the allowed proximity to the user's body by which the transmitter is designated "portable."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

Hmmm... one day tickets are looking better. Won't be worthwhile to have a chip in a ticket used for only one day. I don't want a chip. Or maybe get a band to satisfy the bean-counters who want everybody to have one, and then mysteriously lose it.
    From what it sounds like, all tickets will get a chip in them at some point. All bar code readers, entry gates, Photopass, Cash Registers AP scanners, and at the FP queue entries will become RFID transmitters.

However in the information system, you may not have to submit information if you don't want to. But I bet like now a name will always be electrically attached, like with current multiday tickets and APs, to verify that you are the ticket holder when entering the pak.

• Vidia's Minion

If I wear a tin foil hat will it block the signals from the chip?

I really don't like the sound of it being a transmitter. Not that I'm squicky about the radiation, but I don't like being tracked. And if it's transmitting, you can bet they will be tracking.

Yuck. Can't I just enjoy a day at the park? Meh.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• 5 Star

I wasn't aware that the wristbands had the capability to transmit location. Im not paranoid or anything, but I don't know if I like that idea.

• -

It really doesn't bother me if my location is going to be tracked while I'm in the park. If they are really interested in how often I take my kids to the restroom, more power to them. With all the security cameras around the park, it is pretty easy to find someone if they really wanted to. I don't understand the paranoia.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I don't know. Over planning might make stuff a bit less fun. What if a person realizes they just want to walk around Cars Land for an hour instead of having to zip off to the next ride, or maybe you get hungry an hour earlier than your reservation. It will probably have a lot of flexibility I hope.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I don't know. Over planning might make stuff a bit less fun. What if a person realizes they just want to walk around Cars Land for an hour instead of having to zip off to the next ride, or maybe you get hungry an hour earlier than your reservation. It will probably have a lot of flexibility I hope.
    But doesn't that apply to the current system of fastpasses and restaurant reservations? It doesn't seem like this new thing will be much different in that respect.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• 5 Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    If I wear a tin foil hat will it block the signals from the chip?
    Just make a pair of tin foil mouse ears and you should fit right in.

The difference is that it takes effort to sift through security camera footage, even if you use a facial-recognition program.

Can't say exactly why, but it's creepy to be a trackable number.

Matterhorn seats changed to terrible, the likely addition of the tracking wristbands, increasing prices... it's like Disney doesn't want me to come back.

Have there been any predictions about when MyMagic+ might be up and running at the Disneyland Resort? I am hoping it will be up by Christmas 2013, when I will be planning a trip for several families.

• 5 Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dalia3001 View Post
    Have there been any predictions about when MyMagic+ might be up and running at the Disneyland Resort? I am hoping it will be up by Christmas 2013, when I will be planning a trip for several families.
    Hard to say, really. It hasn't even been fully implemented at WDW yet.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalia3001 View Post
    Some rumors suggest that it will start a year behind WDW. Since WDW has tested some features, before fully implementing them DLR may get things on the WDW test schedule.

• 5 Star

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Some rumors suggest that it will start a year behind WDW. Since WDW has tested some features, before fully implementing them DLR may get things on the WDW test schedule.
    This makes me wonder how hastily the company is trying to implement the system. Are they going to do a direct copy of the WDW version lie they do with rides, or are they gonna be methodical about it and create the system around the resort. Kinda like fitting an oval into a circular hole. The results are Similar, but still different.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast