Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    With more Gold Members declining to renew their memberships and the membership list for Club 33 being essentially wide open, it will be interesting to see if Michael Coldglazier will be able to assist in salvaging what prior TDA management has reeked upon the once grand old club of Disneyland.
    Even now, an upcoming event regarding Marc Davis is being presented in several versions, the most elite package including a dinner meeting with Marc's wife, she, also a Disney Legend. Gold Members are not allowed to attend this particular level, it is only for Platinum Members. Of course, Gold Members can attend as can anyone if joining a Platinum Member. Keep in mind that these same Gold Members were the ones who have been supporting the club since 1967. I really can't see myself or any gold member tugging on the sleeve of some newby Platinum Member, begging to attend like Oliver Twist asking for more gruel! "Please sir, I want to attend the Marc Davis event?" Sorry, not going to happen.
    How utterly embarrassing and despicable of TDA to enforce such a low brow tactic with the goal of forcing Gold Members to join Platinum.
    Based upon rumor, many believe these types of actions are on purpose, hoping more Gold Members will resign their membership allowing more room for higher paying Platinum Memberships. However, with very few people applying for Platinum Memberships another rumor has arisen that Disney is perhaps trying to eliminate Club 33 entirely due to operating expenses. Personally, I'd like to think this isn't true but one never really knows with Disney, it's pure speculation and conjecture. Someone needs to tell Disney if they would only treat their constituency better, their profits would increase substantially.
    Failing to grandfather the original Gold Members into the 1901 Lounge and then disallowing them to participate in specific Club 33 events has proven beyond the moral and ethical comprehension of most Gold Members. This is sloppy management at best and extremely unprofessional. It's as though TDA has some personal vendetta against Gold Members. God forbid we all show up wearing Guy Fawkes masks, protesting outside of 1901. Great idea though, I'll attach mouse ears to mine!
    I must give Disney credit, when they shoved that Mickey adorned knife in my back, I didn't feel it at first but the wound is beginning to fester and the pain almost unbearable. It really doesn't help that Disney seems to enjoy poking the wound by promoting separatism in Club 33 functions.
    Joining Club 33 is now essentially just writing a check. Give the mouse $35K and you're in. Gone is the 5 to 18 year waiting list, gone is the true prestige which drew most of us to join. And keep in mind, just because Disney did it, doesn't mean it's right or well thought out. They've made plenty of blunders in the past but normally they're pretty quick to repair them.
    I'm completely OK with Disney offering only Platinum Memberships to newbies, but don't step on the folks that supported the club all these years past. Give us the same basic benefits and fair treatment as Platinum via grandfathering and don't isolate us, treating us as sub par. For God's sake, is there no reward for loyalty within the Disney Company?
    Let's hope Michael can fix this. It's no wonder that business within Club 33 is down substantially.
    If you're driving by Disneyland and see a small black rain cloud floating above New Orleans Square, rest assured it's not Winnie the Pooh, it's the black cloud which hangs over Club 33.

  2. #2

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    For God's sake, is there no reward for loyalty within the Disney Company?
    Not in the slightest. Disney Corp is all about business and numbers. Loyalty, fondness, friendship, nostalgia and the numerous other warm attributes associated with the name "Walt Disney" have nothing to do with it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  3. #3

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    11

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    with very few people applying for Platinum Memberships

    is this known for sure? The rumor is that the initiation fee was raised to $27K, suggesting that there is sufficient demand.........

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRac View Post
    with very few people applying for Platinum Memberships

    is this known for sure? The rumor is that the initiation fee was raised to $27K, suggesting that there is sufficient demand.........
    They did, and they sold 200 new memberships last year. Of the 80 or so Golds I know, none are dropping their memberships. And as of Jan 14th, friends who put in their request for membership last May were told "You are still on the wait list, just have patience."

    The event in question, there will be 15 members selected to attend the dinner with Alice Davis. All members are invited to the open event.

    As for 1901, it would be hard to accommodate all the members anyway, as it only seats 45 people. Perhaps when the club is remodeled, they will add a lounge there.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  5. #5

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    It seems that Disney has a fine line to walk between the exclusivity of the club, and the desire of people to spend money. There has always been a division between the ordinary park goers and those who have the money to spend, the perks of spending the extra bucks. And slowly that has been seeping into the Club. And there has always been a demand for people on the wait list to have their number called for an invitation for membership, and Disney loves to cater to this crowd.

    At the same time though, it seems like something has been shifting, with the members or how access is handed out. It wasn't that long ago that Club 33 was literally a unknown. Now a day doesn't go by when I'm in the park and I see someone taking just a photo by the door. I see photos all the time from people on Facebook who have entered those elusive doors for so many. Could it just be the internet and social media that have made us all aware of each other, and discovering that several of us do have access to the club, or that some of us were invited in? It seems like somehow, more common Joe's are getting into the club. I'm not speaking negatively towards those who somehow were invited, but rather it is interesting that more people are getting in who are not directly members themselves. I'm not exactly sure what to think about it or what it means.

    In the end, I think exclusivity is being lost with Club 33, and Disney is trying to maintain it by charging excessive membership fees, and I agree with the OP that it seems like they're trying to squeeze out more money from the Gold Members. It does seem disloyal. I would have been more in favor of a similar Gold program just for 1901 and have new applicants have the choice to choose between the more available 1901 memberships and those of Club 33. Those with Club 33 access would have first choice at keeping Gold at 33 or moving to 1901, or perhaps upgrading to Platinum. But in the end there should be no real treatment difference between 33 and 1901. Alice Davis should be one night at one and the other night at the other, or something similar. To automatically have new members trump legacy members is a shame. I doubt it was intentional, but that doesn't discount the fact that TDA really did disservice to loyal, long term members.

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,624

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerjay View Post
    Alice Davis should be one night at one and the other night at the other, or something similar. To automatically have new members trump legacy members is a shame. I doubt it was intentional, but that doesn't discount the fact that TDA really did disservice to loyal, long term members.
    The event in question is open to ALL members. The park is closing early, and all members and their guests (each member can bring 5) will have run of NOS and Adventureland, with food and drink! There will also be special guests. It sounds fantastic!

    However, there is also a special dinner for 15 members and 1 guest each in the Haunted Mansion portrait hall. Not all platinum members (about 280 or so) will be able to attend this, they have limited it to a lottery pick of 15. But all will be able to attend the main event, regardless whether they are Platinum, Gold, or Silver members.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    However, there is also a special dinner for 15 members and 1 guest each in the Haunted Mansion portrait hall. Not all platinum members (about 280 or so) will be able to attend this, they have limited it to a lottery pick of 15. But all will be able to attend the main event, regardless whether they are Platinum, Gold, or Silver members.
    And herein the disloyalty towards Gold Members rears it's unscrupulous head. Why in the world would Disney display such a wanton disregard towards loyal and founding Gold Members by disallowing them access to the Alice Davis event?
    I find this extremely disheartening and an outright slap in the face to those who have kept the club busy and functioning for the past 40+ years.
    Unlike many, I kept my Gold Membership for 2013 with the ultimate hope that someone with a modicum of common sense will correct these malfeasances. Hopefully Michael will grab the reins and redirect the mouse-cart on a more enlightened path.
    A Club 33 member, albeit Silver, Gold, or Platinum, should never be made to feel ill-treated or biased in any method or manner. No guest of a Disney Park should ever feel this way. Anyone who has joined Club 33 did so with the hopes of proper and fair treatment with the highest expectations of exemplary service. Disney is clearly falling short in providing this.
    I fail to see how anyone could remotely support the actions of TDA management and their poor decision making process which has led us to this point.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Not in the slightest. Disney Corp is all about business and numbers. Loyalty, fondness, friendship, nostalgia and the numerous other warm attributes associated with the name "Walt Disney" have nothing to do with it.
    Mr. Wiggins, you are indeed a truly enlightened fellow, thank you for seeing things the way they truly are. If more people would speak up about issues with the park and the treatment of guests, there is no doubt that some degree of improvement would have to come about.
    No one likes being the guy on the corner calling for justice, but sometimes that is exactly what is needed.

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    With more Gold Members declining to renew their memberships and the membership list for Club 33 being essentially wide open, it will be interesting to see if Michael Coldglazier will be able to assist in salvaging what prior TDA management has reeked upon the once grand old club of Disneyland.
    Even now, an upcoming event regarding Marc Davis is being presented in several versions, the most elite package including a dinner meeting with Marc's wife, she, also a Disney Legend. Gold Members are not allowed to attend this particular level, it is only for Platinum Members. Of course, Gold Members can attend as can anyone if joining a Platinum Member. Keep in mind that these same Gold Members were the ones who have been supporting the club since 1967. I really can't see myself or any gold member tugging on the sleeve of some newby Platinum Member, begging to attend like Oliver Twist asking for more gruel! "Please sir, I want to attend the Marc Davis event?" Sorry, not going to happen.
    How utterly embarrassing and despicable of TDA to enforce such a low brow tactic with the goal of forcing Gold Members to join Platinum.
    Based upon rumor, many believe these types of actions are on purpose, hoping more Gold Members will resign their membership allowing more room for higher paying Platinum Memberships. However, with very few people applying for Platinum Memberships another rumor has arisen that Disney is perhaps trying to eliminate Club 33 entirely due to operating expenses. Personally, I'd like to think this isn't true but one never really knows with Disney, it's pure speculation and conjecture. Someone needs to tell Disney if they would only treat their constituency better, their profits would increase substantially.
    Failing to grandfather the original Gold Members into the 1901 Lounge and then disallowing them to participate in specific Club 33 events has proven beyond the moral and ethical comprehension of most Gold Members. This is sloppy management at best and extremely unprofessional. It's as though TDA has some personal vendetta against Gold Members. God forbid we all show up wearing Guy Fawkes masks, protesting outside of 1901. Great idea though, I'll attach mouse ears to mine!
    I must give Disney credit, when they shoved that Mickey adorned knife in my back, I didn't feel it at first but the wound is beginning to fester and the pain almost unbearable. It really doesn't help that Disney seems to enjoy poking the wound by promoting separatism in Club 33 functions.
    Joining Club 33 is now essentially just writing a check. Give the mouse $35K and you're in. Gone is the 5 to 18 year waiting list, gone is the true prestige which drew most of us to join. And keep in mind, just because Disney did it, doesn't mean it's right or well thought out. They've made plenty of blunders in the past but normally they're pretty quick to repair them.
    I'm completely OK with Disney offering only Platinum Memberships to newbies, but don't step on the folks that supported the club all these years past. Give us the same basic benefits and fair treatment as Platinum via grandfathering and don't isolate us, treating us as sub par. For God's sake, is there no reward for loyalty within the Disney Company?
    Let's hope Michael can fix this. It's no wonder that business within Club 33 is down substantially.
    If you're driving by Disneyland and see a small black rain cloud floating above New Orleans Square, rest assured it's not Winnie the Pooh, it's the black cloud which hangs over Club 33.
    1) i was a loyal member and disney was lucky to have me... even though waiting lists to get in were 5 to 18 years

    2) I pay 1/3 the price of the platinums but want more of their benefits

    3) I feel like Im being stabbed in the back and feel obligated to post everyday how miserable I am but renew my membership

    4) there is no waiting list (there is)

    this is what I told my 5 year old daughter who was pouting at the end of our last visit to disney because I wouldnt buy her a second toy.

    "You need to focus on appreciating what you have instead of focusing on what you dont have"

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    1) "You need to focus on appreciating what you have instead of focusing on what you dont have"
    Sorry mate, you're somewhat missing the entire point here. This is about quality of service and working to improve the Club. There aren't many here (thankfully there are a few) who are actual members and are close enough to comprehend exactly what Disney has done to the club.
    I can't help but feel that far too many park guests and Disney fans tend to see everything as being covered with pixie dust and accept every poor management decision that Disney makes as being 'The Rule', carved onto a tablet on the Holy Mount Matterhorn, carried down by Goofy and presented to the masses. Disney Holy Scripture! "And the bean counters sayeth 'Go unto the round-eared masses and preach the word of Disney cronyism and marketing deception, yet coat with sugar and toss a Mickey t-shirt over it so the round-eared masses won't know what they're actually getting!'"
    Regarding the club however, far too many non-member fans adopt a different attitude towards changes and the members who are affected. Shame, shame shame, a Mickey rice crispy treat pox upon thee!
    Disney has, in fact, done an absolutely horrendous job at running Club 33, unless of course it was their goal to drive out the Old Gold based upon pure speculation that for every Old Gold that leaves, a new Platinum will be standing by. Guess what? They're not!
    Waiters and staff are losing hours, tips are down tremendously and staff turnover is the highest I've ever seen. Not the senior waiters, but the support staff. Years ago, it was NEVER like this! We were always greeted by the same cast members, the support crew was always known by name, it was truly a different Club 33.
    I write and fight because while I very much dislike what has happened to Club 33, I'd like to see change. If no one shakes the bee hive, nothing will change and the service, food quality, and member isolation/separatism will only grow worse.
    Disney is beating this poor horse too much and pretty soon it will give up the ghost and it's off to a rendering plant in the City of Vernon to be turned into blood meal and sprinkled by the Disney Gardening Dept. to help the flowers grow. Well, on the plus side, at least it's a good way to promote recycling!
    If you really love Disneyland, wouldn't you want to protect it, help it, clean it, heal it and make it better. If so, step up. Look at the bigger picture.
    Gang, just because you may like 'The Mouse', doesn't mean you have to act like a mouse.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Sorry mate, you're somewhat missing the entire point here. This is about quality of service and working to improve the Club. There aren't many here (thankfully there are a few) who are actual members and are close enough to comprehend exactly what Disney has done to the club.
    I can't help but feel that far too many park guests and Disney fans tend to see everything as being covered with pixie dust and accept every poor management decision that Disney makes as being 'The Rule', carved onto a tablet on the Holy Mount Matterhorn, carried down by Goofy and presented to the masses. Disney Holy Scripture! "And the bean counters sayeth 'Go unto the round-eared masses and preach the word of Disney cronyism and marketing deception, yet coat with sugar and toss a Mickey t-shirt over it so the round-eared masses won't know what they're actually getting!'"
    Regarding the club however, far too many non-member fans adopt a different attitude towards changes and the members who are affected. Shame, shame shame, a Mickey rice crispy treat pox upon thee!
    Disney has, in fact, done an absolutely horrendous job at running Club 33, unless of course it was their goal to drive out the Old Gold based upon pure speculation that for every Old Gold that leaves, a new Platinum will be standing by. Guess what? They're not!
    Waiters and staff are losing hours, tips are down tremendously and staff turnover is the highest I've ever seen. Not the senior waiters, but the support staff. Years ago, it was NEVER like this! We were always greeted by the same cast members, the support crew was always known by name, it was truly a different Club 33.
    I write and fight because while I very much dislike what has happened to Club 33, I'd like to see change. If no one shakes the bee hive, nothing will change and the service, food quality, and member isolation/separatism will only grow worse.
    Disney is beating this poor horse too much and pretty soon it will give up the ghost and it's off to a rendering plant in the City of Vernon to be turned into blood meal and sprinkled by the Disney Gardening Dept. to help the flowers grow. Well, on the plus side, at least it's a good way to promote recycling!
    If you really love Disneyland, wouldn't you want to protect it, help it, clean it, heal it and make it better. If so, step up. Look at the bigger picture.
    Gang, just because you may like 'The Mouse', doesn't mean you have to act like a mouse.
    What can I tell you, I want to join and cant get on the list so the list is probably long again. I like the platinum passes because I will go to orlando, VIP tours because I really dislike waiting for rides and the 50 parkhoppers so we can bring friends, family and clients. Im disappointed about the loss of the unlimited option, I do think there were better ways to solve the problem of abuse, but 50 passes isnt terrible.

    1901 sounds interesting, but isnt a big deal for me. I would be very excited if they opened clubs in disneys around the world. I would love to go to member clubs in disney paris, tokyo, hong kong and shanghai.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Just contact City Hall and ask for the introduction tour. I had a friend just join who didn't wait more than a month. They were pretty hungry for his check, not at all like the old days. I warned him, but he had gone so many times with us, he just didn't listen, simply too excited.
    Man oh man, I really miss the way it used to be, the club was such a wonderfully special place.
    Now it's functioning primarily as profit center and the past management has dulled the once glossy finish.
    All of our friends who are Old Gold are extremely displeased with the entire operation.
    Yes, 1901 is decent enough place, but sadly Gold's aren't allowed and every Old Gold we know is furious about the isolationism and separatism this has caused.
    Not allowing the original Old Golds to attend specific event has wrought even more havoc amongst the original constituency.
    A few Platinum members are angry because Disney has already raised the renewal rates which they were told, were not going to be raised for several years.
    If I could give you any advice, it would be to seriously reconsider joining. Just hook up with a friend who is a member and ride that membership. Save your money for something more worthwhile. But hey, it's your money, you worked hard for it. If you don't mind the inconsistent management of the club but the perks are worth it to you personally, then you may enjoy the membership.
    Don't go join wearing rose colored glasses, expecting happiness and joy around every corner, that will only last for a very short time until TDA finds a new way to squeeze the members for more cash and take away more benefits.
    TXDisney, if this was prior to 2012, I would personally beg you to join, buy you dinner, ride the Lilly Belle with you, we'd all be happy, dancing to the music from the Bayou Brass Band as they play below the Main Dinning Room.
    Now however, the only music I hear in Club 33 is Chopin: "Funeral March" Sonata, Op. 35.
    Beautiful music no doubt, but best applicable at the funeral of this once fabulous club.
    If they keep treating the members as they have been, there will be no pall bearers to carry the decaying hulk which the club will no doubt become. Guess we can toss the ashes in the Rivers of America, but knowing Disney, it will be a Platinum Member event only.
    Last edited by David A; 02-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.

  13. #13

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Well formulated thoughts David, I sure hope TDA is paying attention to all of the online and offline discussion taking place regarding this topic...

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    I would love to go to member clubs in disney paris, tokyo, hong kong and shanghai.
    Hi TXDisney!
    Tokyo actually has a Club 33 and I've never personally heard any complaints from it's members. There are a number of original Old Golds who have visited and said it was very professionally ran and the guest relations was superb.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Can Michael Colglazier help Club 33 recover from two years of poor TDA mangement?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerjay View Post
    Well formulated thoughts David, I sure hope TDA is paying attention to all of the online and offline discussion taking place regarding this topic...
    Thank you for the support!
    Honestly, it just saddens me tremendously to see the club so poorly managed and now with new Platinum Members starting to complain, well, one could say the pot is starting to boil and the mouse can't simply toss a lid on it and say 'everything is fine, we know what we're doing.'
    They have made a gross error in their treatment of legacy and new members.
    Without social networking such issues could easily be buried by Disney, letters crumpled and discarded, it is up to us to grab the shovel of the sexton and keep the corpse above ground until some remedy or justice may be obtained.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Can I get my photos back from Photobucket?
    By Barbaraann in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 05:03 AM
  2. Can't see Idol Club
    By NeverNeverland in forum The Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 06:41 PM
  3. can some one help me with saving a midi?
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 02:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •