• Armchair Imagineer

Has MAPO Vanished and Replaced by "Mural Makers"?

MAPO was the manufacturing operation of Imagineering and was located at 6904 Tujunga Avenue in North Hollywood, California. With the reports of Disney increasing the out-sourcing of theme park attraction design and manufacturing, I checked to see if MAPO was still at their Tujunga location.

It turns out that a company going by "Mural Makers" is operating at that address. The Mural Makers website shows recent projects that are nearly all Disneyland Resort attractions!

Does this mean that MAPO is gone and a private company has taken over? What will this mean for future attractions at the Disneyland Resort?

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: Has MAPO Vanished and Replaced by "Mural Makers"?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    MAPO was the manufacturing operation of Imagineering and was located at 6904 Tujunga Avenue in North Hollywood, California. With the reports of Disney increasing the out-sourcing of theme park attraction design and manufacturing, I checked to see if MAPO was still at their Tujunga location.

It turns out that a company going by "Mural Makers" is operating at that address. The Mural Makers website shows recent projects that are nearly all Disneyland Resort attractions!

Does this mean that MAPO is gone and a private company has taken over? What will this mean for future attractions at the Disneyland Resort?
    MAPO was killed off not that long ago. The Audio-Animatronics which used to be a Disney trademark are now being outsourced to Garner Holt.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post

MAPO was shut down last year I believe. However....
    I put that address into Google and two business directories says WDI is still there:
    WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING, 6904 TUJUNGA AVE, NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California (CA) - Company Profile
    Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc - North Hollywood, CA - Architect in North Hollywood, California

I'm thinking Mural Makers possibly shares a building with WDI and as such gets some prime Disney business.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Cove Bar Official Dj

i love riding by on the amtrak and seeing various ride vehicles and things in the "yard". I remember seeing the new small world boats and more a few years ago
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com