Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Reimagining the Disneyland Railroad

The show that the Disneyland Railroad presents needs better illumination at night, especially in Adventureland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah it's a little scary riding behind the Jungle Cruise at night, it's so dark...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    And rip out the Grand Canyon and put something besides taxidermy in there. It's hideous.
    The omnibus nature of the presentation is problematic because it does feel somewhat disjointed.

The "Grand Canyon" diorama is a little outdated because the Santa Fe Railroad is no longer associated with the D.R.R.

I prefer replacing both dioramas with a new finale to the Grand Circle Tour that relates to the whole of Disneyland.

The dioramas can be reconstituted in other forms somewhere else, even if it is merely by doing small things like incorporating Grofe's "On the Trail" into the area music of Frontierland, for example.

• Looking for Love

I don't know about anyone else, and this might sound a little weird, BUT....
    I have always thought that because of the backstage sightings and "dead air" part of the track, that the DL Railroad has always kind of given me a creepy vibe, especially at night. Its a little exciting, but like I said, creepy. I would much prefer that the whole railroad had a show element to it, instead of the backstage sightings.

• Minion

Perfect question. Last Night I was at DL. It was about 2300 and I was on the DLRR. I was thinking How long ago it was, when I used to get excited when I stepped out on the platform. Waiting to hear that steam whisle. To glance down the track and look for that train head lamp off in the distance. It is sad to the conditions that we as today dont look apon trains today. In terms of transports these were the beasts of their day. To look at all that brass and Iron. Even today, I always try to get in the first car. So I could see what the Enginer was doing. To me the train has always been the greatest ride at Disneyland. They have updated almost everything in the park. The train and cars are fine. DL needs to update along the tracks of DLRR. Yes the grand canyon is a little outdated. The Dino's are a little old too. DLR just needs to dress it up a little more. I would love to have seen the Roundhouse. That would be great if we could see the inner working of it.
    Jason

• Resident DL'er

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The Disneyland Railroad needs to seem touched with magic. The D.R.R. is the only attraction that leaves the reality of Main Street, U.S.A. to travel into the Four Cardinal Realms of the Imagination, so the fact that the "Disneyland Limited" is able to cross these boundaries must mean that the trains and their crews have some special powers.

When thinking about creating better transitions between each of the realms, I hit upon the perfect way to suggest this magic: .... steam.

There is a certain figurative "magic" to steam power, so potentially using steam to create magical transitions between each of the realms would be visually-interesting and, even, spectacular.

Steam locomotives do need to "blow-down" sometimes, but not very often. So, if an engineer were to let steam escape more often, he would reduce the overall efficiency of the engine.

A little inefficiency may be alright, but the major part of these steam effects would probably need to originate from stationary equipment situated on the ground. The passengers should become completely enveloped in the steam so that they are not able to see a thing.

The romance of train travel is best expressed, though, at those times when the guests are able to actually see the steam.
    Those are all wonderful ideas. Just think, if DLR management were smart enough to browse these boards and actually listen to what some of us had to say, they might gain a lot of valuable knowledge and insight to improving the resort. Unfortunately, I really doubt they are easy to get through to. Walt was one of the few "high-up" creative powers that would take ideas seriously no matter who was presenting them to him.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    I have always thought that because of the backstage sightings and "dead air" part of the track, that the DL Railroad has always kind of given me a creepy vibe, especially at night. Its a little exciting, but like I said, creepy.
    That's not weird. It's what most of us would recognize as being inherent in train travel, especially at night. It's the pure mystery of what lies in the darkness as the train travels along. It is wondering what exists beyond the tracks, in the invisible inky blackness of the foreboding landscape that surrounds the train, as well as confronting what lies in our own imaginations. It is exactly the same feeling Walt wished to evoke with his trains.

Bathing the train in constant steam, or having an animatronic figure or special visual effect or a laser light show confront the traveler along every inch of the line will do a serious disservice to the very concept of the Disneyland Railroad. Have our attention spans really become that short? Do we go to the park so often that the magic of the attraction itself has lost its power, because we've seen the magic act so often we know all the secrets?

If we need this kind of constant stimulation on the steam trains, we will relegate the attraction to the status of being "just another ride," where your own imaginations will be deemed inferior to that of the imagineers'. You will cease to become an active participant, but instead a mute observer.

Walt knew instinctively that the trains could provide their own powerful magic and narrative, as they have on railroads for the past 170 years. To corrupt the experience with steam jets that bathe the guest in blinding mist or other eye-candy is to completely mis-understand that most personal of all of Walt's attractions.

Maybe the imagineer's sometimes DO read these boards--and wisely choose to ignore them...
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-16-2006 at 07:25 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah, our attention spans are that short. Sitting in the dark at Disneyland is not a special experience.

• Resident DL'er

I don't know if that's really true. I like what Steve mentioned about the natural mystique and wonder of the way a train heads into darkness.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Naw, it just makes people want to make out, light up or do something ilicit.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Yeah, our attention spans are that short. Sitting in the dark at Disneyland is not a special experience.
    You have my sympathy.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well you should go to DCA in the middle of the night and ride Soarin' for 6 hours before they turn the ride on in the morning!

Pretend you're taking the redeye. It's so realistic!

• Banned User

I really like the railroad but Why Reimagine this railroad. There are improvements that could be made but a lot of rides in the park could use improvements(cough monorails cough). If any disney railroad needs to be reimagined i would say Hong Kong because at this point they have imitation steam locomotives . As for improvements i would definately say the observation platforms, burning settlers cabin, and adding a steam train tour. There are a couple others but I like the Railroad as it i in it's current forms. The transitions are fine as tunnels do a great job of that. The dioramas are a great Climactic ending overall (as Stated in Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad by Steve Degaetano). Sure they could be updated but so could the plywood figures in pooh and buzz.
    Last edited by inav; 01-16-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Bathing the train in constant steam, or having an animatronic figure or special visual effect or a laser light show confront the traveler along every inch of the line will do a serious disservice to the very concept of the Disneyland Railroad. Have our attention spans really become that short? Do we go to the park so often that the magic of the attraction itself has lost its power, because we've seen the magic act so often we know all the secrets?

If we need this kind of constant stimulation on the steam trains, we will relegate the attraction to the status of being "just another ride," where your own imaginations will be deemed inferior to that of the imagineers'. You will cease to become an active participant, but instead a mute observer.

Walt knew instinctively that the trains could provide their own powerful magic and narrative, as they have on railroads for the past 170 years. To corrupt the experience with steam jets that bathe the guest in blinding mist or other eye-candy is to completely mis-understand that most personal of all of Walt's attractions.

Maybe the imagineer's sometimes DO read these boards--and wisely choose to ignore them...
    Steve, I've been on a train during those rare occasions when the engineer needs to blow-down when he or she is not near the blow-down vents, and I must say that the oohs and ahhs that the effect elicits from the guests are something very special.

Each of the realms of Disneyland is supposed to be separated by an invisible "Fourth Wall", so some sort of an image is needed to convey this idea to the guests. Tunnels are good, and, in the past, they have been used to nice effect in separating Adventureland from Frontierland and Frontierland from Fantasyland. But, using steam in this way would strengthen these transitions and simply present Disneyland in a more effective way.

One has to imagine the possibilities and trust that the end result has the potential to be a natural extension of what the Disneyland Railroad has always been. While I understand your concern that the illusion of blow-downs may appear to be fakery and that one of the great things about the D.R.R. is its authenticity, the effect is very much in keeping with the actual functioning of the trains.

I envision an experience that is tasteful and well-paced and that exalts old-fashioned train travel while adding a touch of the surreal.

I'm sure you, yourself, have been excited by the sight of the steam emanating from the trains as they are brought onto the main line in the morning. Most guests will never get a chance to experience such moments, so this is merely a way for them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    I'm less inclined to be adverse to lighting, such as at Small World. In a way, the lights glinting off the shiny locomotive surfaces can be quite nice.

Once upon a time, before the need to get on rides as fast as possible, a wonderful observation platform, designed just for those who wanted to look at the trains--and particularly the locomotives--existed where the Haunted Mansion Fastpass area is now. There was an equally-nice viewing spot in Tomorrowland.
    I probably should have specified that I am only concerned about the floodlight fixtures at "it's a small world" and not the lights, themselves.

The messy fixtures are concealed from the guests at ground level but are fully visible to the passengers aboard the trains.

I agree that an observation platform is necessary somewhere along the main line, probably near Tomorrowland Station.

Seeing the trains from above might also be a wonderful possibility. Eastman Kodak could pay for the construction if the observation platform (or platforms) becomes a Kodak Photo Spot.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-17-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast