Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Infinitized!

Re: Reimagining the Disneyland Railroad

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Steve, I've been on a train during those rare occasions when the engineer needs to blow-down when he or she is not near the blow-down vents, and I must say that the oohs and ahhs that the effect elicits from the guests are something very special.
    I'm a fireman on a 90-ton 1923 MLW built 2-6-2. Anytime we do a blowdown it's like a jet aircraft taking off - always gets the passengers' heads turning and all the cameras clicking. Usually scares the little kids too. :-)

As far as atribute to Walt, I think a two stall engine house with a historically correct look should be built in Frontierland. Have a siding track going off the mainline to the engine shed. The shed would be accessible to visitors at all times and have one of the engines that is currently not running on that day on display there with a few CMs dressed in the correct crew attire explaining how a steam locomotive works.

• Closed Account

One has to imagine the possibilities and trust that the end result has the potential to be a natural extension of what the Disneyland Railroad has always been. While I understand your concern that the illusion of blow-downs may appear to be fakery and that one of the great things about the D.R.R. is its authenticity, the effect is very much in keeping with the actual functioning of the trains.
    You state--I believe correctly--that on of the great things about the DRR is its authenticity, and yet you want to tamper with the formula that's worked for over 50 years. Authenticity is its own attraction. It doesn't need to be enhanced.

I envision an experience that is tasteful and well-paced and that exalts old-fashioned train travel while adding a touch of the surreal.
    Why should anything about the railroad include anything of the surreal? Don't we have enough attractions that feature such images? Can't we have this one attraction, clearly one of Walt's favorites BECAUSE of its realism, remain in the realm of the realistic?

I'm sure you, yourself, have been excited by the sight of the steam emanating from the trains as they are brought onto the main line in the morning. Most guests will never get a chance to experience such moments, so this is merely a way for them to do so.
    Indeed I have, and I've been lucky enough to do so on a number of occasions. But what makes the experieince incredibly awesome is the fact that one is wintessing the power of steam, harnessed by man, in action. Every wisp or jet or blast backstage serves a purpose. "Tricking" guests into seeing something they thinnk is authentic about this railroad is antithesis to its designer's wishes--a wish that folks would be enthralled with steam power in all it's realism. If Walt had wanted to entertain his guests with fake images of steam and its power, he could have done so.

• Minion

I actually love the railroad how it is, passing the Frontierland is my favorite, the scenery is just so wonderful, it really has a nostalgic feel about it. I believe adding something to the Tomorrowland part would be cool and update the Grand canyon section.
    Jeff Wayne

• Resident DL'er

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Maybe the imagineer's sometimes DO read these boards--and wisely choose to ignore them...
    No, I don't believe it would be wise to do so. Even if you personally disagree with something, that doesn't automatically mean you can discredit the idea entirely. Many of the topics I've seen on these boards that talk about revisions and such around the resort are very creative and intelligently presented, this thread included. Besides, some of the people posting here probably know the DLR resort better than some of the people managing it...I wouldn't be surprised.

• ...TWO BITS!

1) I don't like how you can see the Small World show building and train roundhouse. They should put a wall up.

2) The dioramas could use an update. An improved Grand Canyon diorama may look cool in Frontierland.

3) What would you do with the Dinosaur and Canyon diorama?

4) There should be a few hidden animals behind Jungle Cruise for riders to spot. With speakers next to them making animal noises. Just like what a previous person said.

5) I don't like the look of the metal shed tunnel when you go from Frontierland to Fantasyland.

6) I like the steam trains.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    1) I don't like how you can see the Small World show building and train roundhouse. They should put a wall up.

2) The dioramas could use an update. An improved Grand Canyon diorama may look cool in Frontierland.

3) What would you do with the Dinosaur and Canyon diorama?

4) There should be a few hidden animals behind Jungle Cruise for riders to spot. With speakers next to them making animal noises. Just like what a previous person said.

5) I don't like the look of the metal shed tunnel when you go from Frontierland to Fantasyland.

6) I like the steam trains.
    1. Well taken but I like how you can see the roundhouse. It would also have to be a pretty tall wall if you want to block it from the monorail.

2.Definately update the dioramas. My question is where you would put the grand canyon diorama in fronteirland. the scenery is really pretty there. About the only place i can think of is right before fantasyland as you go by the theatre.

3.Leave them where they are but update the animitronics.

4.Definately. It would liven that part of the ride up. Also possibly make the river boats veiwable from the train

5. I don't either. They could possibly expand this tunnel(too the side) and add a shed with an engine not being used that day. This shed would be open to the public with cast members explaining how a locomotive works(as stated earlier by someone else) Clear glass panels would allow a veiw inside.

6. Who doesn't. oops i forgot pressler who thought it would be too expensive to operate.

• ...TWO BITS!

- For putting the GCD in Frontierland, but after you see the burning cabin, you go into the diorama until around the Indian village. I guess, not really sure if that works.

-I would rather the trains not see the Jungle Cruise. Just my feeling. Also from the JC point of view, it'd be weird seeing a steam train pass by deep in the heart of the jungle.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

In a recent thread concerning the new monorail system, someone raised the issue of wheelchair accessibility at Main Street Station.

I think I have a solution.

The Guided Tours Garden has a fair amount of wasted space that could be used to install an elevator, such as the one in service at the Autopia. The guests could, then, potentially, access the platform from the other side of the bridge.

An extension of the rear part of the platform might also allow for construction of a ramp to the train, itself. In these ways, both the ramp and the elevator would be kept hidden from most guests and the historic Main Street Station would remain fully preserved.

• Animatronic

Perhaps the best thing for the train is to remove or theme the weakest visible backstage elements and then work on bringing Frontierland back up to Walt standards. The landscape looks eroded with pipes and divides showing, the animals are, well, scary, the burning house is not burning. Worse, the horrid Fantasmic "improvements" and HM Fastpass have blocked the view of the train from the river and visa versa. This visual intersection of land and water transport is what the frontier was all about. The Big Thunder Ranch area is ripe for an attraction, ideally an attraction with water features and other scenery that would help the train's "dead spot"

I say fix the area behind Tomorrowland. Blech.

• Closed Account

How's this for re-imagining:

Early in the process of thinking of things to do for the 50th, some imagineers discussed running the trians counter-clockwise, to suggest "going back in time."

The concept never went beyond informal discussions, but what would the opinion be of such a drastic change?

• Tourist

I wish the D.R.R. would bring back Thurl Ravenscroft's narrative.

Though he sadly passed away last year, and is no longer available to add new parts to the spiel, it would be a nice to keep as much of his narrative as possible.

Whenever I ride the D.R.R. now, the first thing I notice is how much I miss hearing Thurl's voice.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

A major part of the charm of the DLRR (at least for me) is that it is, in fact, a real train ride. It's not a gussied-up pretend experience. Trains don't always pass through the nicest areas of town. You see lots of back lots, stacked-up barrels and stored junk. You often pass through dark and mysterious landscapes where there isn't much to see. On the DLRR, the occasional glimpse backstage or at an industrial element adds to the authenticity of the DLRR experience. You get that "forbidden" peek. My favorite part is between Frontierland and ToonTown... especially at night. If show elements were added all along the way then it would cease to be a train ride and become just a long diorama. Too much eye candy and you forget you're riding a train... a real train. When I board at the Main St. station, I can easily imagine that I'm actually traveling somewhere. Sure, a little touch here and there would be nice if it adds a little richness to the experience. Somewhere, I'd love to see a crossing with a family in their Model T waving at the train. I wish the Tomorrowland Station was even more "out-of-this-world" to emphasize the surreal situation of a steam train passing through the future. How fun would it be to come upon some AA gandy dancers along the track?
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 01-19-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Closed Account

Ecxellent, Tom. There is nothing I can add that would improve upon what you wrote.

Most of the exhibits in Main Street Station do not appeal to me because they are not appropriate for a turn-of-the-19th-Century train station. I would be very interested in seeing models, schematics, and blueprints of the locomotives and rolling stock inside the station, instead.

I haven't visited the San Luis Obispo exhibit, but some of the materials used at the museum and in Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! might work really well inside Main Street Station.

The Disneyland Railroad is a fairly elaborate short-line railway, and most guests probably do not appreciate the scale of the operation. So, Main Street Station presents the perfect opportunity to tell that part of the story.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast