Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

I prefer the Disneyland attraction. I really like the Holiday overlay. However, I also like the WDW attraction, just not as much. I went to WDW two years ago with my wife and daughter, and we loved the CGI, and the interactive queue. We thought it was fantastic. Every time I go to Disneyland I'm hoping that they'll bring the CGI there... I didn't know that there were people who didn't like it.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Looks like I am in the minority. I prefer Walt Disney World's version, for sure.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

the HMH at Disneyland..theres something about the music that makes it so mystical than the off season

•   
    • Minion

Disneylands to me is way better. I love HmH but I would rather see them make Halloweentown in the third gate or something and leave the HM in it;s natural state for the whole year.

• a damsel not in distress

i love disneyland's. the house to me is just so iconic in itself, plus the memories i have there and the fact that i am a hmh fan.

although, and i realize this wasn't an option, i have heard great things about phantom manor at disneyland paris and so i'm curious to compare the two.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

I prefer Disneyland's HM, as well. Though I found Disneyland Paris's version a pretty interesting take on the attraction. Really good actually. There's an actual story that seems to take place as you travel through the attraction.

• Zephyr Pilot

Big Disneyland fan but I gotta go with WDW. I like the first portion including the stairs scene. And while I appreciate the tradition of using original effects, I really enjoy the CGI hitch hiking ghosts. I don't think it should ever be in DL, but in a place like WDW where tradition isn't as important, I think it's important to use current tech to enhance rides and keep future generations interested.

•   
    • Minion

In order I prefer:

1. Phantom Manor (Disneyland Paris). Beautiful score; extensive story ("Great Expectations/abandoned bride," not "killer bride") that ties in with other attractions in the area and just a compelling attraction.
    2. Haunted Mansion Holiday (Disneyland). I know there's some strong dislike for this but IMHO it's the very best of the holiday overlays, and it's a nice antidote to the traditional Christmas stuff - and it's very well done.
    3. Regular Haunted Mansion, DLR. I love the theming of the mansion and the New Orleans link!
    4. Haunted Mansion, WDW. This one seems so gimmicky to me in comparison to the others. I really dislike that they don't have the corridor after the elevator. I do like the library and wish they had that in the DLR Mansion.

Any as long as it doesn't have that tired, awful, Nightmare b4 Christmas overlay.

• former CM

Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris because of the music and because French can sound so creepy.

Every Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor fan must visit Doombuggies.com.

WDW & D land's HMs are not that different. Disneyland's opened in '69 and WDW's in '71, and most of the interior props were made at the same time. I do like the extra ghosts who are trying to break through doors in the hallway near the raven on top of the casket at WDW.

The ghosts that fly in through windows in Disneyland's ballroom scene are cool. Why aren't they always working? Do they have these at WDW?

I'm not a big fan of the Halloween/Christmas overlay, but the long lines for it and the merchandise for it show it is popular. As a local with an AP I do appreciate getting something different though, just as I'm enjoying the extended 3D movie previews in our Muppets 3D theater, as long as the still excellent Muppets show keeps coming back.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-10-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo

• formerly very helpful

Mind you, it's been about six and a half years since I've been to WDW's Haunted Mansion. But as I remember it, I actually prefer their Mansion. I love the architecture of the exterior, and the couple of extra rooms are a nice addition. However, it's not to say that our version isn't awesome. It really is my favorite attraction here.

I will say on the record that I HATE the Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris because of the music and because French can sound so creepy.

Every Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor fan must visit Doombuggies.com.

WDW & D land's HMs are not that different. Disneyland's opened in '69 and WDW's in '71, and most of the interior props were made at the same time. I do like the extra ghosts who are trying to break through doors in the hallway near the raven on top of the casket at WDW.

The ghosts that fly in through windows in Disneyland's ballroom scene are cool. Why aren't they always working? Do they have these at WDW?

I'm not a big fan of the Halloween/Christmas overlay, but the long lines for it and the merchandise for it show it is popular. As a local with an AP I do appreciate getting something different though, just as I'm enjoying the extended 3D movie previews in our Muppets 3D theater, as long as the still excellent Muppets show keeps coming back.
    I'm pretty sure that WDW does have the ballroom ghosts you mentioned, and they have worked every time I've been in there.

• Filmmaker

Typically I tend to prefer Disneyland attractions over their Magic Kingdom counterparts, but the last time I was at WDW (2009) I was quite impressed by their version of Haunted Mansion, and found I actually preferred it over the Anaheim version. That being said, there's a few "enhancements" they've added since then that I don't like in theory (interactive queue, CGI hitchhiking ghosts) and so we'll see if I still feel the same way when I visit this summer.

i like dl's but i wish they added things like wdw's hitch hiking ghosts at the end and something to the loading area.

• No Disassemble!

Before 2011 it would have been a tie for me but now it's DL's all the way. I always loved the design of the Magic Kingdom's queue because it had more effectiveness in creeping me out no matter how many times I visited. On the same token, Disneyland's in-ride experience gave me the creeps much more than MK's, there's just something about staring into the tall black walls of that show building & just feeling generally creeped out that Walt's ghost could be somewhere around you at anytime. From what I've seen on youtube in regards to the new interactive queue at MK it really seems to change the tone to something more cartoony and comical vs. it's former spooky glory.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast