Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

CGI Ghosts are turn offs why would you want to have ghosts that mess with you instead haunt you... Also why would you want to spend time in the queue at DL you can for a good point just walk straight into the building. Disneyland also has FP for the ride but nevers uses it except for HMH. Also our facade was built 57 (i think) and sat empty because world fair. It gave it a creep factor.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

Why is there so much hate for WDW's interactive queue when that experience is completely optional? Unless things have changed, you can totally skip it and go straight to the attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Why is there so much hate for WDW's interactive queue when that experience is completely optional? Unless things have changed, you can totally skip it and go straight to the attraction.
    I guess people think it takes some of the creepiness factor away from the attraction. Guests are supposed to be entering a haunted house, and they're playing with stuff on the way in. At Disneyland, there's no interactive queue, no things to play with... There's a graveyard, a horse carriage and some plants. You walk into the queue and straight into the house. Seems like it fits the mood better, I don't know. This is just a guess.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    CGI Ghosts are turn offs why would you want to have ghosts that mess with you instead haunt you... Also why would you want to spend time in the queue at DL you can for a good point just walk straight into the building. Disneyland also has FP for the ride but nevers uses it except for HMH. Also our facade was built 57 (i think) and sat empty because world fair. It gave it a creep factor.
    Actually, the facade was finished being built in 1963.

• Hello Dolly.

haha I agree.

Lately I think WDW has been keeping their HM fresh and with some original ideas. Do I ever see me playing with the interactive stuff, no, but they look great especially since DL's queues do not have to experience the weather and lines of WDW.

Maybe because it is a lot different & I like it. I can complain about what they've added the last few years but a lot of us advocate for original attractions and I think most of the HMs are pretty well different which I like. If they all looked liked my beloved Disneyland's, I'd be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    the HMH at Disneyland..theres something about the music that makes it so mystical than the off season
    Yes I love it!! It still plays so clearly in my head.

• Filmmaker

Granted, this is based on second-hand experience (pictures, video, first-hand reports, etc.) but for me, the thing that bothers me about the interactive queue is that, whether you skip it or not, it still alters the mood of your approach to the mansion. What was once ominous and eerie is now filled with music and silly gags. Even if you're not actually playing with the interactive elements yourself, it still alters the tone of that part of the attraction.

It's the same reason I take offense to the new CG Hitchhiking Ghosts. It's a complete tonal shift and betrays part of the intent of the original attraction. It was spooky seeing the ghosts silently riding with you as your host informed you that they would be "following you home." Now, however, they just feel like the ghosts from that old Mickey Mouse cartoon.

By contrast, I've never minded the new attic sequence because it fits the tone of that part of the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Granted, this is based on second-hand experience (pictures, video, first-hand reports, etc.) but for me, the thing that bothers me about the interactive queue is that, whether you skip it or not, it still alters the mood of your approach to the mansion. What was once ominous and eerie is now filled with music and silly gags. Even if you're not actually playing with the interactive elements yourself, it still alters the tone of that part of the attraction.

It's the same reason I take offense to the new CG Hitchhiking Ghosts. It's a complete tonal shift and betrays part of the intent of the original attraction. It was spooky seeing the ghosts silently riding with you as your host informed you that they would be "following you home." Now, however, they just feel like the ghosts from that old Mickey Mouse cartoon.

By contrast, I've never minded the new attic sequence because it fits the tone of that part of the attraction.
    They are just like the lonesome ghosts now that I think about it!

• Pooloo See Bagoomba

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    You walk into the queue and straight into the house. Seems like it fits the mood better, I don't know. This is just a guess.
    Exactly. One of my favorite things about the DL version is you walk in the front door. In the MK version I want to hike up to that front door!

On the other hand I really like the Library and the endless staircases in the MK version. Wish we had that in the DL version.

So in a perfect world, a mash-up would be ideal. I'll take front door entry (DL), foyer with changing portrait (MK), stretching rooms that go somewhere (DL), you get the picture.

I really don't see why there's so much hate for the Holiday overlay. I mean at least you won't have to put up with those people who try to recite the Ghost Host sequence in the Stretching room since its a completely different audio track that's only there 3 months in the year

all joking aside the overlay does a better job at pulling you into the ride than the original. While walking through the original you may hear the background jazz music of orleans, or the blaring of the steamboat. theres no music to pull you into the ride. with the Overlay however theres this, creepy yet playful music playing while waiting in the queue. theres a new gingerbread house every year in the ballroom. and the graveyard scene looks more active and the pumpkin mountain center piece and angel/pumpkin statues make the graveyard look more larger.

besides, its only there for 3 months anyway and with that short time frame you always find something new to appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertank View Post
    Every time I go to Disneyland I'm hoping that they'll bring the CGI there... I didn't know that there were people who didn't like it.

CGI *always* looks fakey to me. I hate it, for the most part. Once in a while, it's used in a way that doesn't take me out of the moment, in a way that doesn't scream "Hey, look, we got a new toy to play with! We can draw things on the COMPUTER!!!," but for the most part, it's obnoxious. And it's not necessary- the real hitchhiking ghosts look great. Real-world gags still work.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    CGI Ghosts are turn offs why would you want to have ghosts that mess with you instead haunt you...

Some people are in love with "it's NEW!!" without asking if the new is actually worth it. Usually, for me, it's not.

It's not always optional. Some days they force you through it (according to trip reports some people have posted). It's noisy, according to a video someone posted, it's at the intellectual level of a toddler, and it takes all the creep factor away from the Mansion. It's supposed to be a build-up, to put you a little off balance, and a ridiculous queue destroys that prologue. It's putting the graveyard first, out of order.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by animark View Post
    I really don't see why there's so much hate for the Holiday overlay. I mean at least you won't have to put up with those people who try to recite the Ghost Host sequence in the Stretching room since its a completely different audio track that's only there 3 months in the year

all joking aside the overlay does a better job at pulling you into the ride than the original. While walking through the original you may hear the background jazz music of orleans, or the blaring of the steamboat. theres no music to pull you into the ride. with the Overlay however theres this, creepy yet playful music playing while waiting in the queue. theres a new gingerbread house every year in the ballroom. and the graveyard scene looks more active and the pumpkin mountain center piece and angel/pumpkin statues make the graveyard look more larger.

besides, its only there for 3 months anyway and with that short time frame you always find something new to appreciate.
    Why would the original need music on the outside? It's supposed to be a Haunted Mansion. Not a whimsical wonderland. It certainly makes sense with the Holiday version, but it would just sound out of place if music was put on the original version. To me, what adds to the ambience and feel of the original mansion is that it is just sitting there silent and motionless like any haunted house, and once you step inside it begins to become spirited. ***pun not intended. If music was ever added, I would at least hope that it would be done like it was in Paris- subtle and off to the side.
    Last edited by frollofan; 02-10-2013 at 08:49 PM.

As loyal as I am to the original, right now I'm preferring WDW's. Main reason is the new staircase room and the fact that the overall track length is longer...hence more time sitting...hence more themed environment.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Cunning infiltrator

The original Disneyland as always. Since I've never went to WDW before, so I can't say because I never rode WDW Haunted Mansion and/or Phantom Manor.

But, I definitely prefer Phantom Manor and Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion more over than MK's HM! You guys are forgetting Tokyo Disneyland's version. TDL's HM beats all the mansions for retaining all the sounds and effects since it opened. Also, the audio-animatronic figures have more fluid movement, the Corridor of Doors is way more creepier with the crazy effects and it still has the original attic scene with the mysterious creepy bride with the pop-up ghosts complete with heartbeat and no music in pitch blackness.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by animark View Post
    I really don't see why there's so much hate for the Holiday overlay...
    My feeling: You don't put arms on the Venus de Milo.

• Minion

I actually prefer WDW's...the interactive queue adds something to it in my opinion, and I don't get why everyone doesn't like that it isn't creepy...it's Disney World! The ride is supposed to be somewhat silly. The actual ride itself is better at Disney World too; the track is longer, and there seems to be much more magnitude--everything seems on a grander scale. And I like the CGI ghosts actually. They do a lot more interesting things than just sit there. The first time I saw it, I was surprised and actually wondered how they did that, something that I haven't said to myself since I was a child at Disney. So good for them! I think that of all the comparisons between DL and WDW, HM is the one that I always for sure feel is superior at WDW.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast