Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

Although I love most things Disneyland, Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion is far superior. The sound is amazing, and I love the length of the attraction itself. The loading area seems more complete to me and I love the endless staircases and the eyes with the haunting whispers.
    Jeff Wayne

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

DL hands down! We were lucky enough to experience WDW's version last year and it confirmed my thoughts...the original is far superior!
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    ...and I don't get why everyone doesn't like that it isn't creepy...it's Disney World! The ride is supposed to be somewhat silly.
    Just because it's at Disney World doesn't mean it's not allowed to be creepy. After all, Tower of Terror, one of the Resort's most popular attractions, is quite creepy, and the general consensus is that the scarier predecessors of Stitch and Dinosaur are superior to their watered down versions by far.

As far as being silly, yes, The Haunted Mansion is silly, the second half, that is. One of the things that makes the attraction work so well for so many people is the subversion of expectations and the shift in tone that occurs in the graveyard sequence. For that to work, the beginning of the attraction has to be legitimately creepy. You have to be somewhat unsettled, but then they reveal that the ghosts are silly rather than malicious.

That, I believe is why so many people (myself included) take objection to the interactive queue, because it alters the tone of the opening of the attraction, undermining a critical part of what makes that attraction work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    As far as being silly, yes, The Haunted Mansion is silly, the second half, that is. One of the things that makes the attraction work so well for so many people is the subversion of expectations and the shift in tone that occurs in the graveyard sequence. For that to work, the beginning of the attraction has to be legitimately creepy. You have to be somewhat unsettled, but then they reveal that the ghosts are silly rather than malicious.

That, I believe is why so many people (myself included) take objection to the interactive queue, because it alters the tone of the opening of the attraction, undermining a critical part of what makes that attraction work so well.
    ​Yes, this. Exactly.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Just because it's at Disney World doesn't mean it's not allowed to be creepy. After all, Tower of Terror, one of the Resort's most popular attractions, is quite creepy, and the general consensus is that the scarier predecessors of Stitch and Dinosaur are superior to their watered down versions by far.

The rides you mentioned have height requirements so they are also made for older crowds. Haunted Mansion is undoubtedly a family ride and was made to be, even at DL. So let it appeal to families, which includes those with children.

To be fair though, interactive queue or not, WDW's has the more elaborate sets, extra scenes, more complete entrance/exits, and better effects. Also, this might just be me, but I feel like the Omnimovers at WDW are more fluid and smooth, where DL's seem kinda squeaky and jerky.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The rides you mentioned have height requirements so they are also made for older crowds. Haunted Mansion is undoubtedly a family ride and was made to be, even at DL. So let it appeal to families, which includes those with children.

To be fair though, interactive queue or not, WDW's has the more elaborate sets, extra scenes, more complete entrance/exits, and better effects. Also, this might just be me, but I feel like the Omnimovers at WDW are more fluid and smooth, where DL's seem kinda squeaky and jerky.
    To your first point, it's been a beloved classic for as long as it's been open and I've personally never heard anyone say, "This ride is too scary without toys in the queue. Won't someone think of the children!" If it ain't broke...

As for your second point, I wholeheartedly agree. When last I was at WDW (2009) I found that I definitely prefered their version. I loved the dramatic approach to the mansion. I loved the slowly changing portrait of Gracey before the stretch elevators. I loved the library and staircase rooms, and I think the whole attraction felt like an improvement over the already great DL version. However, I take objection to the most recent additions (interactive queue, CG Hitchhiking Ghosts) one of which undermines one of the things I loved so much about that version of the attraction.

Comparing them both ride for ride and leaving out the holiday version at DL I must say I did just fall in love with the WDW version. Down to the stand-by line to the whole ride experience. I love the stairs that lead to nowhere. It's just so much more well presented IMO It has to be hands down WDW.

• Minion

To your first point, it's been a beloved classic for as long as it's been open and I've personally never heard anyone say, "This ride is too scary without toys in the queue. Won't someone think of the children!" If it ain't broke...
    Have you ever been to WDW? The line may not have been too scary, but it certainly could be too boring...NextGen IMO is much more important at the more crowded parks where lines get long and I think most DL natives look down on it while not realizing that it's more of a necessity in Orlando.

As for your view on the recent additions, well I can certainly see why you feel that way. But to each their own. I think it's always good to have some uniqueness between parks and new additions can be nice to spruce things up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    Comparing them both ride for ride and leaving out the holiday version at DL I must say I did just fall in love with the WDW version. Down to the stand-by line to the whole ride experience. I love the stairs that lead to nowhere. It's just so much more well presented IMO It has to be hands down WDW.
    Agreed!

• Minion

At one point I would have said that they each have strengths and weaknesses that balance each other out, but in the last few years DL has become the clear front runner for me.

Less kitschy decoration on the outside - this makes it seem more like a real house.
    You can walk right in the front door.
    You get to walk past the portraits and clock, which lets you get closer and take a little more time, and also adds to the "real house" illusion.
    The show lighting is dark enough to make the effects work, but not so dark that you can't see details.
    The original HHG's are far more effective.
    This is a small one, but the carpet effect on the load belt makes it blend better with its surroundings than the one in FL.

• Minion

Keep the interactive queue out of Disneyland's Mansion, please.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    DL because 3 months out of the year its a completely different attraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Some would say that is not a selling point.
    I'm one of the some.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    At one point I would have said that they each have strengths and weaknesses that balance each other out, but in the last few years DL has become the clear front runner for me.

Less kitschy decoration on the outside - this makes it seem more like a real house.
    You can walk right in the front door.
    You get to walk past the portraits and clock, which lets you get closer and take a little more time, and also adds to the "real house" illusion.
    The show lighting is dark enough to make the effects work, but not so dark that you can't see details.
    The original HHG's are far more effective.
    This is a small one, but the carpet effect on the load belt makes it blend better with its surroundings than the one in FL.
    I don't get how little things like walking in through the front door and a carpet effect in the load outweigh a longer, bigger, and more detailed actual ride-through. I guess it's just me that puts more weight in the actual ride than the trivial details.

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I've yet to ride Florida's version, but I definitely like our facade better. I like that it doesn't look haunted on the outside, but it in fact is. That's creepier than a creepy facade.
    As Walt Disney himself once said; "We take care of the outside, the ghosts will take care of the inside."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak10 View Post
    As Walt Disney himself once said; "We take care of the outside, the ghosts will take care of the inside."
    Exactly. Another reason to love Disneyland's Mansion; its history is quite interesting.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast