Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61

    • Pooloo See Bagoomba
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    430

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I don't get how little things like walking in through the front door and a carpet effect in the load outweigh a longer, bigger, and more detailed actual ride-through. I guess it's just me that puts more weight in the actual ride than the trivial details.
    Ah, but trivial details are what you notice only when they aren't there. Those are the details Imagineers do best.

    It comes down to personal preference and I like reading about what makes the different versions of the mansion special for everybody else.

  2. #62

    •   
    • DCA Is Underrated
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    39

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Exactly. Another reason to love Disneyland's Mansion; its history is quite interesting.
    I think what really makes the DLR version stand out to me (maybe just my preference...) is the fact that the DLR HM is just way more intimate and like jasmineray said, lots and lots of history. Whenever I'm waiting in the que, I keep wondering what parts Walt himself had to do with and where the old hatbox ghost used to be. While the WDW HM has more elaborate scenes, the intimacy factor is almost gone now (with or without the interactive que). I think of the WDW HM as a clone of the DLR version that imagineers then edited and manipulated to appeal to those with barely any previous knowledge of the history of how this famous attraction came to be.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

  3. #63

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    185
    I'm all for the DL HM. Haven't been on any others to compare lol

  4. #64

    •   
    • DCA Is Underrated
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    39

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylv View Post
    I'm all for the DL HM. Haven't been on any others to compare lol
    Lol, I'm a Disneyland fanboy. I go to WDW about half as many times than I go to DLR
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

  5. #65

    • The Steampunk Dread Baron
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    286

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    I prefer the WDW one myself, mainly because it is the one I am most familiar with and it does have a few extra rooms to it. And regarding calling the DL version the original version... that makes no sense to me as they were both built at the same time, when they made a part for DL they made an exact double for WDW. One could argue however that with the divergent upgrades, it allows each mansion to have it's own unique identity instead of being true clones like they were designed as.


    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

  6. #66

    • The "zip" in your doo dah
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Washinton
    Posts
    153

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Just had to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I really enjoy HMH in Disneyland and am always a little puzzled by some people's aversion to it. It's really well done and gives new life to an again attraction each holiday season. The only down side I see is that it requires the attraction to be closed for set-up and take-down. I love the musicality of the overlay and it seems less dated than the original version. What is it in particular that some people don't like?

  7. #67

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I don't get how little things like walking in through the front door and a carpet effect in the load outweigh a longer, bigger, and more detailed actual ride-through. I guess it's just me that puts more weight in the actual ride than the trivial details.
    The "trivial details" are a PART of the "actual ride." They add up.

  8. #68

    •   
    • DCA Is Underrated
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    39

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    I prefer the WDW one myself, mainly because it is the one I am most familiar with and it does have a few extra rooms to it. And regarding calling the DL version the original version... that makes no sense to me as they were both built at the same time, when they made a part for DL they made an exact double for WDW. One could argue however that with the divergent upgrades, it allows each mansion to have it's own unique identity instead of being true clones like they were designed as.
    Walt Disney was around to help plan the DLR HM. Not the same can be said about WDW ad that says a lot in my eyes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

  9. #69

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,368

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak10 View Post
    Walt Disney was around to help plan the DLR HM. Not the same can be said about WDW ad that says a lot in my eyes.
    Not to mention Walt's say in DL's facade. MK took exactly what he said, and went against it. Not the same.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  10. #70

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    The "trivial details" are a PART of the "actual ride." They add up.
    Yes, of course they do...but does going through the front door really add more than the portrait of Master Gracey, and does the carpet effect in the load station really add more than the neverending staircase room? Of course the details matter, but if you ask me, not more than the ride itself.

  11. #71

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,622

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    Just had to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I really enjoy HMH in Disneyland and am always a little puzzled by some people's aversion to it. It's really well done and gives new life to an again attraction each holiday season. The only down side I see is that it requires the attraction to be closed for set-up and take-down. I love the musicality of the overlay and it seems less dated than the original version. What is it in particular that some people don't like?
    We don't appreciate how bland and tacky many of the sets are, especially in the loading area and attic scene. We don't appreciate that it has to have such a long run. 4 months is too long for a holiday overlay imo, especially when it partially takes place during Halloween time and when the original clearly reflects the feel of Halloween better with its darker tone. If they made the sets look less tacky and shortened the length of its seasonal run, I would honestly be much more tolerable of it.

  12. #72

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    DLs lighting and sound systems are better. The individual sound tracks are more distinct. DWs is quieter, esp. in the graveyard. Check out youtube for yourself.

  13. #73

    • a damsel not in distress
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    chicago, il
    Posts
    272

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    Just had to add my 2 cents to the discussion. I really enjoy HMH in Disneyland and am always a little puzzled by some people's aversion to it. It's really well done and gives new life to an again attraction each holiday season. The only down side I see is that it requires the attraction to be closed for set-up and take-down. I love the musicality of the overlay and it seems less dated than the original version. What is it in particular that some people don't like?
    i know frollofan gave his account of why he and many others don't like it, but coming from another perspective (my grandmother's and my uncles', not mine), some people don't like it because they aren't familiar with the nightmare before christmas storyline. every time they go to disneyland for a family trip, it always happens to be in october and they are furious over the "weird characters that aren't ghosts in the haunted mansion" always being there when they visit. they are really thrown off by the presents when it's supposed to be halloween time, and don't get the neon colors when things are supposed to be creepy. i tried to explain that it's based off a disney movie that takes place during halloween time, and then they just get upset about yet another disneyland ride being redone to reflect movies rather than being original.

    i actually find their reactions humorous, and don't understand why they don't just plan the trip in september

    "oh, i just love happy endings!"




  14. #74

    • Cunning infiltrator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Which Haunted Mansion do you prefer?

    Let me say it again, I'm loyal to Disneyland's original Haunted Mansion, but I do have a soft spot for Phantom Manor (even though I have never went to DLP before in my life).

    For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

    Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Which Indy Door do you prefer?
    By DLLEGEND in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 03:04 AM
  2. [Fun] Haunted Mansion: Things You Never Noticed Before
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
  4. Which Celebration Would/Did You Prefer?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •