Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: Fastpass Return Enforcement Signs at IJA

Doesn't it mean that the stand-by wait times will go up if the fastpass guests are more evenly (and appropriately) distributed throughout the day? I keep getting flashbacks of the late nineties when fastpass was policed better and rides like Indy would have crazy stand-by wait times because the CMs would hold lines up for 15 minutes at a time to let the steady streams of fastpass guests in. Am I wrong in thinking that it'll just go back to being what it did in the nineties/2000's?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I think that this will probably have a negligible effect if an effect at all on the standby lines, but for anybody who tries to go on rides like space mountain with FP after 8pm, the FP is huge! The main effect I see happening is making the FP line wait times more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Doesn't it mean that the stand-by wait times will go up if the fastpass guests are more evenly (and appropriately) distributed throughout the day? I keep getting flashbacks of the late nineties when fastpass was policed better and rides like Indy would have crazy stand-by wait times because the CMs would hold lines up for 15 minutes at a time to let the steady streams of fastpass guests in. Am I wrong in thinking that it'll just go back to being what it did in the nineties/2000's?
    I remember that time as well. The pre and early post-Fastpass era had crazy wait times.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I posted these on another thread last night
    Name:  IMG_1617 - Copy.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  201.4 KBName:  IMG_1651 - Copy.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  127.1 KBName:  IMG_1653 - Copy.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  116.2 KBName:  IMG_1660 - Copy.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  159.3 KBName:  IMG_1666 - Copy.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  143.8 KB
    All but Grizzly has recived thier sign. Grizzly will get theirs when they reopen after Referb.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Inappropriate

I don't care about the stand-by lines. That's why I'm using the fastpass. What I care about is last time I was at Disneyland, I had a Splash Mountain fastpass good after 8 PM. When I went to ride it, it seemed like everyone else that had one during the day was just now getting around to riding, not following their window of time printed on the fastpass, and the fastpass line was literally longer than the stand-by line. THAT right there is a flawed system, and actually enforcing the times will make it better. Will it shorten the stand-by lines? Doubt it. But it will shorten the fast-pass lines, or at least distribute it more evenly.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I don't care about the stand-by lines. That's why I'm using the fastpass. What I care about is last time I was at Disneyland, I had a Splash Mountain fastpass good after 8 PM. When I went to ride it, it seemed like everyone else that had one during the day was just now getting around to riding, not following their window of time printed on the fastpass, and the fastpass line was literally longer than the stand-by line. THAT right there is a flawed system, and actually enforcing the times will make it better. Will it shorten the stand-by lines? Doubt it. But it will shorten the fast-pass lines, or at least distribute it more evenly.
    Great point! But on the other side of that coin its been nice to be able to fly through lines during the lulls. I will definitely miss going on Space Mountain in the afternoon and having the fastpass queue be a literal sprint to the grouper's station as behind me the stand-by line is 50 minutes long.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Future Imagineer

I know this will be frowned upon by many, but just to clarify, they are enforcing starting February 18, correct? My last trip for a few years is this weekend, and I am used to abusing the system... Someone should try it out this week and report the CM reactions
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Doesn't it mean that the stand-by wait times will go up if the fastpass guests are more evenly (and appropriately) distributed throughout the day?
    It will go up at times, and it will go down at times. The important thing to remember is that the capacity (riders per hour) of the attraction will not change.

In theory, it will increase standby wait times at less popular times of the day as Fastpass users for those less popular times increase (or, in some cases people just not to get a Fastpass and end up jumping into the standby). This would most likely occur early in the morning when a Fastpass obtained at 8:30 would have a 9:45 return time.

It will DECREASE standby wait at more popular times (after parades/fireworks) as there will be fewer valid Fastpasses in circulation.

Actually as I am thinking about this now: if the abuse of the system was as rampant as some here would claim, then wait times should go down considerably as those who depended on the abuse as a means to ride an attraction will be forced to skip it. Instead of putting up with a 30-45 minute standby line, they will simply skip the ride and decrease the demand.

The very important thing to remember: Disney wants the wait times to be as little as possible. Fastpass was invented to combat what was at the time, the second biggest guest complaint at the parks: long lines. An army of very smart individuals went through an studied guest patterns, turnstile counts, ride history and wait times to create the perfect ratios of Fastpass/Standby to keep the lines moving as much as possible. They created this whole system with rules and boundaries and ratios and unless those pass times are enforced, those ratios will not work.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    and the fastpass line was literally longer than the stand-by line.
    Wow, that must be a rare occurrence because I have never seen that happen. Even with Space Mountain, I've seen some long FP lines at night but they were never longer than stand-by. I think it would take some extraneous circumstances for that to happen - most likely the ride being down for a large part of the day and a good number of the people who missed their FP times coming back once the ride is up and running again. And if that is the case, enforcing return times won't make much of a difference in such a situation, unless they don't allow later returns for those whose FP times were during ride closures.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Wow, that must be a rare occurrence because I have never seen that happen. Even with Space Mountain, I've seen some long FP lines at night but they were never longer than stand-by. I think it would take some extraneous circumstances for that to happen - most likely the ride being down for a large part of the day and a good number of the people who missed their FP times coming back once the ride is up and running again. And if that is the case, enforcing return times won't make much of a difference in such a situation, unless they don't allow later returns for those whose FP times were during ride closures.
    I don't see that being too hard to believe, considering at 8 o'clock a water ride probably wasn't too high on people's list of things to do unless they had FPs.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I don't see that being too hard to believe, considering at 8 o'clock a water ride probably wasn't too high on people's list of things to do unless they had FPs.
    Yeah, maybe the standby line was really short to begin with. Even so, if the FP line was ever longer than standby - don't you think people at the back of the FP line would opt to jump into the standby line?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Yeah, maybe the standby line was really short to begin with. Even so, if the FP line was ever longer than standby - don't you think people at the back of the FP line would opt to jump into the standby line?
    I know I would. It's the general BS you get from those that say this is a great thing, just like you saw last year when it happened at WDW.

And it's pretty much fallacy that it reduces standby lines for the mountains at night. THose lines are self regulating. There is an amount of time that he average person will wait for standby on Space at 9 pm. If the ride is taking more people from that line, due to fewer FPs being used, more folks will choose to enter the line, since "it's shorter than usual", instead of calling it a night. More standbys will ride, but their wait time will remain the same. You see this at all amusement parks. Especially if the queue entrance is in plain sight. The psychological impact of the line being OUTSIDE the queue is huge. Luckily most DL rides don't have such queues. But there is still a point where hte average person walks around the corner and goes "damn, the line is long, let's bail". That point will be EXACTLY the same on February 18th.

This move, and FP+ even more so, does pretty much one thing, it forces the playfield level. You can no longer take advantage of teh system if you are a frequent or studied visitor. The standard deviation on the number of rides that each visitor gets is being reduced. I'd LOVE to see that number from WDW for the last 2 years. The old trick of collecting FPs in the morning while you hit short standbys, to then use them at night, is OVER. You will be just like Joe Schmo who just entered teh park, and is happy he has a guaranteed ride at Indy for 10:30, and it's 9:30, so he doesn't enter the posted 30 minute standby that is most likely only 15. So, he does some shopping, and maybe hits Jungle Cruise, since it has a short line.

FP+ seems to be even more evil, if they ever release the specifics. Spending $300 a night in a Disney hotel? Congratulations, you can choose 4 FPs from this list for your visit in 3 months. But choose wisely, becuase that's ALL you're getting.

We just decided not to hit WDW this Spring because of this, now DL will have it if we go around D23. Oh joy! So our $100 tickets will get us aobut 4 good rides. We are essentially back to the E ticket days, without the chance to buy E tickets. Although I feel that is coming, and I will welcome it, as long as those extra Es aren't $15 each.

How I long for the days I could take old room keys and tickets and get Fastpasses from them!

-R

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I remember that time as well. The pre and early post-Fastpass era had crazy wait times.
    As do I most people want to ignore this fact though in these arguements. Either way i am not effected since i have always been good abotu my return times anyways FP only helps me enjoy the park so I have nothing to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Rastuso View Post

FP+ seems to be even more evil, if they ever release the specifics. Spending $300 a night in a Disney hotel? Congratulations, you can choose 4 FPs from this list for your visit in 3 months. But choose wisely, becuase that's ALL you're getting.

We just decided not to hit WDW this Spring because of this, now DL will have it if we go around D23. Oh joy! So our $100 tickets will get us aobut 4 good rides. We are essentially back to the E ticket days, without the chance to buy E tickets.

-R
    How many FPs can you collect in a day? If you stayed in one park ,you could get one every 2 hours. That would be 4 in 8 hrs. I doubt someone would only ride the 4 rides they got FPs for and not ride anything else during those 8 hours.

• -

And it's pretty much fallacy that it reduces standby lines for the mountains at night.
    It’s not a fallacy. If there are additional people in the fastpass line due to people cutting in line with expired fastpasses the stand by line will be delayed by each of the additional people. In other words, if there are 30 people showing up into the fastpass line after the fireworks and 20 of those have expired fastpasses, the stand by line will experience a delay for each of those 20 people who are cutting into line instead of only the 10 that should legitimately be in the fastpass line. The 10 legitimate people in the fastpass line will also be unfairly delayed as well.

So far, everything about this is speculation. There has never been anything saying that this will be exclusively for hotel guests. In addition, the current fastpass system is supposed to still be available. Therefore, even if one doesn’t elect to use the new system they can still use the old.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast