Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Call Phone Coverage at DCA

I recently switched over to Tmobile (prepaid monthly) and trying to get any data connection in Cal Adventure seems impossible. Is anyone else experiencing difficulties? Thank you.

Re: Call Phone Coverage at DCA

Given the number of devices asking for cell-phone bandwidth, I'd be surprised if people didn't have difficulties. I have some difficulty getting signal to make or take a call, but it's always so loud, I generally don't even try. I text when I'm at the park, and don't worry about anything more.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • White Water Snacker!

I have T-Mobile and I always have problems when the park is crowded. When the park is busy I can't get any data/internet coverage. My phone calls also tend to be dropped a lot. I can send and receive text messages, but if I attempt to attach a picture it won't send.

At Disneyland I've found that the best place to make calls on busy days is on the top floor of innoventions, outside just above the Autopia gift shop. I don't know of any good locations at California Adventure.

yep, Tmobile pretty much sucks at DL if the day is busy. I occassionally get service in Carsland, but don't expect to be able to post pictures to facebook and such all day.

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

I'm on AT&T and I usually have 3-5 bars and 4G LTE in both parks. I can call/text/use the internet without any trouble in Disneyland, but when it comes to DCA, the internet is EXTREMELY slow to the point where even Google takes a long time to load. Keep in mind that I still have 3-5 bars and 4G LTE coverage when that happens. .___. The only place in the park that seems to have decent internet speed is in Hollywood land. xD Maybe I was just lucky. I don't know.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

•   

I have Verizon and was able to get onto facebook, browse the web and add pictures from multiple locations at both park as recently as last March.

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    I'm on AT&T and I usually have 3-5 bars and 4G LTE in both parks. I can call/text/use the internet without any trouble in Disneyland, but when it comes to DCA, the internet is EXTREMELY slow to the point where even Google takes a long time to load. Keep in mind that I still have 3-5 bars and 4G LTE coverage when that happens. .___. The only place in the park that seems to have decent internet speed is in Hollywood land. xD Maybe I was just lucky. I don't know.
    It's due to the fact that DCA is near more hotels and the Convention center... they drain bandwidth. Also the big power lines probably don't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by huskydawg View Post
    I have T-Mobile and I always have problems when the park is crowded. When the park is busy I can't get any data/internet coverage. My phone calls also tend to be dropped a lot. I can send and receive text messages, but if I attempt to attach a picture it won't send.

At Disneyland I've found that the best place to make calls on busy days is on the top floor of innoventions, outside just above the Autopia gift shop. I don't know of any good locations at California Adventure.
    Tmobile is using AT&T Wireless's 3G network in California (and no, the 4G service, is really HPSA+, which is considered 3G, only LTE and WiMax is true 4G)... and it seems that AT&T phones get a little more priority when bandwidth is tight =-)

(There was a reason that AT&T and Tmobile wanted to merge, they already share a LOT of equipment throughout the country).

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Tmobile is using AT&T Wireless's 3G network in California (and no, the 4G service, is really HPSA+, which is considered 3G, only LTE and WiMax is true 4G)... and it seems that AT&T phones get a little more priority when bandwidth is tight =-)

(There was a reason that AT&T and Tmobile wanted to merge, they already share a LOT of equipment throughout the country).
    Its seems like the best thing for me to do i force my phone to use 2g towers only. I was able to load web pages (slowly) but they did load. You think thats a viable solution?

To the OP, just check out the Independent Coverage Check choose LA, then drag the map to Disneyland, you will see a side by side comparison of T-Mo and AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint cell tower sites and coverage down to the cell level. 4G Network | Wireless Network Speeds | T-Mobile

Last year, there was a FCC filing to expand cell network capacity at Disneyland. Unfortunately these things are long slow process from the point of filing the paperwork. Ultimatly it's a bandwidth issue for data. SMS and calls are np, MMS and internet is too intensive. I'm on T-Mo too and I'll get full bars of 3G and 4G HSPA+ but it will be painfully slow (I'm looking at you Tomorrowland, unless THAT is what the future will be! Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post

Too many half truths & non to let stand.
    #1 "Tmobile is using AT&T Wireless's 3G network in California" What on Earth is this nonsense? No they aren't, unless you're driving down the CA-395, or a couple sections of the I-5 in the Central Valley and are roaming, you're on T-Mobile. Clearly an AT&T Wireless sales rep didn't want to lose a sale and started spinning lies. If any one needs proof of this, check out the Independent Coverage Check and feel free to drag around the map, you will see a side by side comparison of T-Mo and AT&T cell tower sites and coverage down to the cell level. 4G Network | Wireless Network Speeds | T-Mobile

#2 "True 4G"? Not even close! There is no such thing as true 4G in the USA, we only have 4G as a BS marketing term.

IMT-Advanced was the original set of specifications that determined whether a technology could be considered to be “4G” by the ITU (who owns the global trademark for “4G”). The North American carriers pushed the issue and managed to get the ITU to revise its specification for 4G to include any significantly evolved wireless technology, which allowed HSPA+, WiMAX, and LTE to be marked as 4G technologies. Prior to this, none of those were considered 4G."

"True 4G" is a "Sustained data rate of 100Mbps for mobile connections and 1Gbps for fixed connections."

According to PCMag's 2012 speed survey they said, "In fact, T-Mobile’s HSPA+ 42Mbps network bested Verizon’s LTE network in 11 cities and outside of cities, it “blew away other 3G networks.”

The 3rd point, I'm really not sure what you are trying to say on share equipment. I will grant you that in rural areas, T-Mobile has roaming agreements with AT&T, but they otherwise have their own towers or share the pole, but have their own antennas and equipment boxes, an industry standard (otherwise we'd have 4+ towers next to each other for V,A,T,& Sprint)

AT&T and T-Mobile share basic technologies, GSM (SIM Card phones) vs the older CDMA tech that the rest of the world except Verizon left behind. And some frequencies, AT&T you need a phone with 1900/850mhz GSM and UMTS/HSPA 3G and for T-Mobile 1900/850mhz GSM and the 1700mhz band for 3G/HSPA+
    So a merger would be smoother than that disaster Sprint Nextel one that started in 2005 and will finally end June 30th 2013. Those networks were exclusive, meaning that Sprint phone's wouldn't work on Nextel's network and vice versa; resulting in the company having to maintain 2 complete networks.

The REAL Reason AT&T wanted T-Mobile was accidentally released in a secret memo, given to the FCC as a part of their review process. The gist was they could do their LTE rollout for under 4 billion, or buy T-Mobile for $38 Billion, eliminate a low cost competitor, spread the costs over a larger customer base (one that would be bigger than Verizon's) and block Sprint from buying them up for their spectrum licenses. AT&T’s “Ooops” Damages Their Biggest Argument In Favor Of T-Mobile Takeover | | TmoNewsTmoNews

T-Mobile USA didn't want to merge with AT&T, the fact is their parent company Deutsche Telekom (DT) has wanted to sell off their US assets and focus in Europe and any suitor would do. The current deal is a reverse merger with Metro PCS which will have Metro take over T-Mo, but only own 26%, while DT will retain 74% of the new company. The reason is Metro PCS is listed on the US Stock Exchange and the new company (called T-Mobile) will then use their stock listing and will allow DT to sell off their ownership at will (relativity speaking). This is a much easier method than going through the IPO process which can take years and be expensive.

This may be far more 411 than an amusement park website needs, but that's no excuse for bad technical information. If you made it this far, congrats! If you didn't, that's why I 1st addressed the OP!

Quote Originally Posted by gjkiii View Post
    Its seems like the best thing for me to do i force my phone to use 2g towers only. I was able to load web pages (slowly) but they did load. You think thats a viable solution?
    Yes gjkiii, by forcing 2G you will get the webpages....eventually. 1 problem on 3G/4G at Disneyland is that the connection drops or the phone internet browser will simply timeout (giveup).

Another benefit of forcing 2G is that your battery will last longer! Given that the park can be an 18hour day, I'll do this and when I enter indoor rides, switch to airplane mode. When you have a weak signal, the phone will boost the power to the antenna to maintain a signal; killing your battery much sooner.

The easiest place to get data is the ticket booth area aka the Esplanade and along the perimeter of the parks to try to get an outside tower.

I'm also on T-Mo, but everyone has this issue, and more so on busy days. Just try to enjoy Disneyland more and Facebook less, it shouldn't be too hard

• The doctor is in

I also have T-Mobile and yeah, it is pretty impossible to use your data/internet in the park. As far as basic service for phone calls and texting goes I have never had an issue. It's just hard to hear anything if you try and make a phone call because the park is always so loud. If I need to make or take a phone call I usually duck into one of the stores or go into a restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I also have T-Mobile and yeah, it is pretty impossible to use your data/internet in the park. As far as basic service for phone calls and texting goes I have never had an issue. It's just hard to hear anything if you try and make a phone call because the park is always so loud. If I need to make or take a phone call I usually duck into one of the stores or go into a restroom.

Maybe one day they will fix the coverage there because when I look around the park everyone is on the phone especially people in line. Its certainly away to help pass the time when those lines are long.

• The doctor is in

It's just the basic fact that T-Mobile data sucks for the most part. Even their "fastest 4G" isn't anything special.

• Greetings, Program!

Never had an issue with Verizon. Only when deep down inside Mansion or Pirates will the signal be lost.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast