Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 270
  1. #196

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    That's not what it's like at all. Your toilet paper example; is each roll of toilet paper 40 cents? If so, it's not like an AP. If each toilet paper roll by itself is actually a dollar (like a Disney admission ticket) then buying 100 for $40 (buying an AP) actually does save you money. Thanks for the example.
    That toilet paper is compared with each time you actually visited the park. You don't go, poof, that 40 cent toilet paper is actually $4.00 if you use it 10 times, and the remainder disappears into a cloud of smoke.

    As for the wearing from repeated use comment...if you don't want to go enough to make it worth your while then why buy it? Actually, you just proved another point of ours; if you're so familiar and contempt with it, why would you need extra hours? The person who doesn't take the park for granted would not have contempt for it at all.
    The point I proved is you can certainly change your minds. People who buy the AP is making an emotional purchase as stated above. However, after the excitement, you hearts will change. How can it not? The thing is you don't know that at the time of purchase. Disney doesn't offer refunds.

    I owned an AP before, but I haven't touched it again for over 5 years.

  2. #197

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    So instead of buying an AP, buy single day tickets and see if you save money.
    The point I'm making is YOU WON'T.

  3. #198

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The thing is you don't know that at the time of purchase. Disney doesn't offer refunds.
    Actually Disney is really good about being up front on the "no refund" policy. They're also really really good about selling people on the "12 easy payments" option, because then it's cheaper then a cell phone bill!

    I owned an AP before, but I haven't touched it again for over 5 years.
    Lets be realistic. How many people do you know that walk up to the gate, buy an AP, and never come back? At a MINIMUM everyone I've ever met goes enough times to "pay for it". A lot of times said visits are within the same month! And rarely do they just stop once it is "paid for". They usually go at least 1 or 2 times after that!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  4. #199

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Correct, and from that point on you are a net loss to the park just by walking in the front gate. If you purchased the parking pass you are a further loss. I HIGHLY doubt the average AP comes even close to making up that admission loss on a per visit basis.
    Incorrect. You're not a loss to Disney. Why? They got your money and they were able to get lots more than the one day or multi-day admission. Tickets are one-off purchases. People just don't purchase multiple tickets to go many times. You can certain say there are exceptions as I have seen that, but it isn't the norm. Disney wants you to make that impulsive BIG TICKET purchase as that is what they need to goose revenues and profits.

  5. #200

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Actually Disney is really good about being up front on the "no refund" policy. They're also really really good about selling people on the "12 easy payments" option, because then it's cheaper then a cell phone bill!
    I don't disagree and it doesn't change my point.

    Lets be realistic. How many people do you know that walk up to the gate, buy an AP, and never come back? At a MINIMUM everyone I've ever met goes enough times to "pay for it". A lot of times said visits are within the same month! And rarely do they just stop once it is "paid for". They usually go at least 1 or 2 times after that!
    Again, it doesn't change my point. That "pay for it" concept IS the artificial construct. It has no reality to actual costs to Disney and how many times you actually need to go. You simply paid for what they offered and you went believing you need to make it work for you.

  6. #201

    • Wished I lived closer!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Posts
    80

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Two thoughts... As a tourist when I go to book my hotel room and see "20% off per AP's!" in the advertisement it gets me upset. Pretty sure if I saw a sign that says "Go home now, the park is opened for two more hours but not for you" I'd be a bit sad. Also, I hear advertisements all the time for Disneyland living in Seattle. However, they are not advertising to sell AP's. Only to come visit the parks...In fact, I have never heard of anybody around here having one. Most of the families I know that like to visit DL go once every 2-3 years.

  7. #202

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by joannaorange View Post
    Two thoughts... As a tourist when I go to book my hotel room and see "20% off per AP's!" in the advertisement it gets me upset. Pretty sure if I saw a sign that says "Go home now, the park is opened for two more hours but not for you" I'd be a bit sad. Also, I hear advertisements all the time for Disneyland living in Seattle. However, they are not advertising to sell AP's. Only to come visit the parks...In fact, I have never heard of anybody around here having one. Most of the families I know that like to visit DL go once every 2-3 years.
    Thank you for your honest post. This is the kind of insight we need on this thread, instead of APs themselves, or people like me who have been to Disney so many times we lose sight of it's importance. I agree that I would be mad, and since I am not an AP anymore, when I go to Disneyland I would like to have the same perks as everyone else, plus maybe more considering I stay onsite and have limited time.

  8. #203

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    That toilet paper is compared with each time you actually visited the park. You don't go, poof, that 40 cent toilet paper is actually $4.00 if you use it 10 times, and the remainder disappears into a cloud of smoke.

    The point I proved is you can certainly change your minds. People who buy the AP is making an emotional purchase as stated above. However, after the excitement, you hearts will change. How can it not? The thing is you don't know that at the time of purchase. Disney doesn't offer refunds.

    I owned an AP before, but I haven't touched it again for over 5 years.
    If you don't use your AP that's your deal. Most people will get their money's worth. The impulse buy is a fallacy and if you only use your AP like once, you're an exception. But even so, are you forgetting that by buying it you're getting discounts on food and beverages? This is basic economics.

  9. #204

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    If you don't use your AP that's your deal. Most people will get their money's worth. The impulse buy is a fallacy and if you only use your AP like once, you're an exception. But even so, are you forgetting that by buying it you're getting discounts on food and beverages? This is basic economics.
    Most people get what they perceive to be their money's worth. I didn't say I used the AP once as that would be quite dumb. The fact is the AP is sold at a high price point doesn't seem to get across to you. Certainly, the guest can benefit, but that is almost besides the point of paying such high prices. The high prices locks you into going more. Otherwise, it does seem dumb to get one. The discounts on food and beverages is just a perk.

    Thanks for educating me on basic economics as you don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

  10. #205

    • Sorcerer Supreme Bean
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Most people get what they perceive to be their money's worth. I didn't say I used the AP once as that would be quite dumb. The fact is the AP is sold at a high price point doesn't seem to get across to you. Certainly, the guest can benefit, but that is almost besides the point of paying such high prices. The high prices locks you into going more. Otherwise, it does seem dumb to get one. The discounts on food and beverages is just a perk.

    Thanks for educating me on basic economics as you don't seem to understand what I'm saying.
    Its not a high price though, for the value it gives. Thats what you dont seem to be understanding with this conversation.

    Especially with the payment plan now.

    Your payment every month is less than 1 hard ticket a month.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

  11. #206

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Its not a high price though, for the value it gives. Thats what you dont seem to be understanding with this conversation.

    Especially with the payment plan now.

    Your payment every month is less than 1 hard ticket a month.
    Yes, this!!!

    If you wake up one day and decide you want to go to DL, you have to pay face value for a hard ticket. Then again the next time you want to go, and so on and so forth. This adds up quickly. When you buy the AP, yes you pay a high price, but the flexibility to go whenever you want pays for itself.

  12. #207

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Its not a high price though, for the value it gives. Thats what you dont seem to be understanding with this conversation.

    Especially with the payment plan now.

    Your payment every month is less than 1 hard ticket a month.
    There's value from the high price. Okay. That's an emotional argument.

  13. #208

    • Sorcerer Supreme Bean
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    There's value from the high price. Okay. That's an emotional argument.
    No, there's no emotion involved, its numbers.

    I'm not quantifying 'value' with how I 'feel' about the plan, I'm quantifying it, in numbers.

    And the numbers say that the AP's 'value', is pretty much too good to skip if you go to the park with enough frequency.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

  14. #209

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,953
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    I will say this...as an AP this promotion has got me to go to the parks twice this month and that's ONE more time then I would have gone but still in the one extra visit I bought popcorn, soda and ice cream....that's what this promotion is trying to do get me to come an extra time and buy more things

  15. #210

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Incorrect. You're not a loss to Disney. Why? They got your money and they were able to get lots more than the one day or multi-day admission. Tickets are one-off purchases. People just don't purchase multiple tickets to go many times. You can certain say there are exceptions as I have seen that, but it isn't the norm. Disney wants you to make that impulsive BIG TICKET purchase as that is what they need to goose revenues and profits.
    From a daily expenditure standpoint you are a net loss. Again this is numbers, not emotions. How much did you pay for a hotel stay that day? How much did you pay to park that day? How much did you pay for admission that day? How much did you spend on food? How much did you spend on souvenirs? Disney looks at each category. Again this is highly simplified numbers.

    You could argue that an individual isn't getting in for "free" but is getting in at a highly discounted rate. Simply divide the amount they paid for the pass by the amount of times they visited in that given year. Then subtract the actual ticket admission from the amount they theoretically "paid". I suspect it would still be a loss. Depending on how many times you visited and your spending habits it may remain a loss even when you exit the park. So from a long term perspective you would be considered a net loss on the balance sheets in comparison to someone vacationing and purchasing a 1, 3, or 5 day park hopper.

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Most people get what they perceive to be their money's worth.
    How exactly is going enough times to equal what you paid for the product only a perception of monetary worth? If the cost of my admission today is $500 vs a $100 ticket... and I go 5 times... that would be equal to my $500 admission. If I go a 6th time I actually get a better deal mathematically. Likewise if they raise the price of admission from $100 to $125 I come out "ahead" with even less visits. Again this is mathematics, hard numbers, no emotions involved at all. At the end of the year I divide the amount I paid by how many times I visited and that gives me the admission price I actually paid per visit. Again a hard number. It does not matter if I purchase an actual ticket or purchase an AP. Either way it is the monetary value assigned by the company that I agreed to pay in exchange for admission. Hard numbers, not emotional. My willingness to go or my decision to go is probably tied directly to emotion. Likewise my experiences and my belief that I got my "money's worth" that day would be tied to emotion. But I can easily remove the emotion of the experience entirely and back the entire decision up with math.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I will say this...as an AP this promotion has got me to go to the parks twice this month and that's ONE more time then I would have gone but still in the one extra visit I bought popcorn, soda and ice cream....that's what this promotion is trying to do get me to come an extra time and buy more things
    Wait... I thought the promotion was trying to encourage you not to go early on Friday mornings ... you mean it only encouraged you to make extra trips and show up on Thursdays but if you wanted to you could still go Friday mornings? ... oh say it ain't so... I'd hate to think this wasn't a direct benefit to the tourists...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
  3. Anyone Else Enter The 50th Music CD Contest... And Lose?
    By MickeyJCA in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
  4. Anyone else miss the chicken and potato's?
    By socal05 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
  5. Does anyone else miss the Tahitian Terrace?
    By tahitian_terrace22 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •