Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It should be just as it is. A perk for their core fanbase. They are giving back to the diehards who pay up to $850 a year to come multiple times to their 8 domestic parks.
    But on a per day basis, if most APers go more than a week, then they pay less on a per day basis than out of town visitors. Did APers move to So-Cal just to go to Disneyland, or have some of them become "diehards" just out of convenience? The family that saves for two years for a week long vacation at DLR might well be considered more like diehard fans than the APer who lives fifteen minutes away, eats off property, and spends forty days a year in the park at a cost of $20 bucks a day, or so, and is an expert at utilizing fast-pass.

•   
    • Minion

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

If anything, this might lower evening crowds. If an APer is only dropping in for a few hours, they might choose to be there when the park is closed for the public. If they're spending the day, they might show up later in the day because they know they have more time at night.

Incidentally I've been there on a lot of nights when the park is a ghost town...it's a matter of knowing when to go.

Otherwise, every membership program and loyalty club offers their members perks. This is one that is offered to APs. As mentioned, other perks are offered to Disney hotel guests and multi-day ticket holders.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    But on a per day basis, if most APers go more than a week, then they pay less on a per day basis than out of town visitors. Did APers move to So-Cal just to go to Disneyland, or have some of them become "diehards" just out of convenience? The family that saves for two years for a week long vacation at DLR might well be considered more like diehard fans than the APer who lives fifteen minutes away, eats off property, and spends forty days a year in the park at a cost of $20 bucks a day, or so, and is an expert at utilizing fast-pass.
    Exactly. The $850 upfont is nothing compared to the $2000 that it can cost per person for someone like me to go to the parks. Not only that but I only get 5 days for that price, and not a whole year.

• Eek Opp Ork Ah Ha

And what kills me as a tourist is that Disney will not give you any kind of fair warning for high AP attendance days. This information is just not out there to family vacationers.

It's sad because Walt built this park for a place for families to be together. Imagine what he would think about adult single men obsessing on things like there being a new popcorn machine in Fantasyland (heard this very thing on a podcast).

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SemiCircle View Post
    And what kills me as a tourist is that Disney will not give you any kind of fair warning for high AP attendance days. This information is just not out there to family vacationers.

It's sad because Walt built this park for a place for families to be together. Imagine what he would think about adult single men obsessing on things like there being a new popcorn machine in Fantasyland (heard this very thing on a podcast).
    I'm curious. What do you think he would think? I really doubt that that kind of stuff would bother anyone. Contrarily, someone might be thrilled that they created something people care about so much.

• Eek Opp Ork Ah Ha

I don't think Walt would be happy with the current path of Disneyland. Do you?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

No way to know for sure. I think he would be blown away by lots of the stuff they do though.

• Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    No way to know for sure. I think he would be blown away by lots of the stuff they do though.
    I always try to imagine Walt Disney, in a suit, riding Indiana Jones. He'd love it.
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Banned User

Exactly. The $850 upfont is nothing compared to the $2000 that it can cost per person for someone like me to go to the parks. Not only that but I only get 5 days for that price, and not a whole year.
    I'm with you and techskip.
    However, if you're spending $2,000 per person for a 5-dayer, that's because you choose to.
    We'll be there the fourth week April, six people, 5-day Park-Hoppers.
    I've planned our trip very carefully and am spending around $1,000 per person, (obviously we're staying off-property), and that is over-estimating some costs such as food and gas.

One of the things I planned (and now I'm second-guessing myself, too late to change, non refundable reservations already made) was to go Sunday-Thursday in case Fantasmic (my M-I-L loves it) is weekend-only while we're there. I'm wondering if that Sunday is going to be ridiculously crowded. Maybe we'll plan on spending it doing some things that are not, shall I say, main attractions. Then again maybe it is going to be super crowded every day we're there. We'll find out. I tried to strategically plan to go during an off-peak time, and spend mostly weekdays in the parks. I know it'll be wonderful no matter what.

We were watching home videos the other day from our trip in '05. My four-year-old, who wasn't born at the time, was laughing with glee watching them, and was narrating as if he had been there himself. Needless to say he is very excited about the trip and tells me daily that he can't wait.

• Chief Troublemaker

Well, I really don't know enough about the AP demographics to know if the late hours will really change the crowd levels over the weekends, which I think is what they're attempting to do. I tried to look at it from various vantage points to see if I thought it would've changed my attendance pattern. I'm not an AP and no longer a local, but if I were still a local, I'd be an AP.

In my current situation (retired) it would just mean extra hours but would have no effect on my, shall we say, regular pattern (whatever that would be) of attendance because I could sleep in on Friday morning if I wanted to. As a young person (with no kids) it wouldn't either. I remember well "back in the day" going out dancing on a Thursday night til 2am (it was 'ladies night, cheap drinks!), then getting up and going to work by 8am the next day with no problem, then repeat ad infinitum. Ah youth! So for these groups, they'll go on Thursday, then go on the weekends, too.

People with kids probably won't be able to take advantage of it, at least during the school year. Some working people won't care to, I probably wouldn't if I was still working just because it's not quite as easy to 'rise & shine' as it was when I was younger. So these people will still be visiting on the weekends per usual.

Bottom line, I really don't think the later hours are going to have the effect TDA desires. The people who are most likely to take advantage of it are (IMHO) the ones who will still visit the parks as before, they'll just have 2 additional hours to spend there on a Thursday night. At least, that's what I imagine I would do.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Of course, as a person who stays 'on-site' I would have loved to have seen resort guests included, or better yet, resort guests only!! Just kidding, but I think we all love DLR & would like more time there, especially if we knew it wasn't crowded. I well remember 'Telephone Pioneers Night' when I was a teen. It was sooo wonderful to have an un-crowded park & short lines!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyInBoise View Post
    I'm with you and techskip.
    However, if you're spending $2,000 per person for a 5-dayer, that's because you choose to.
    We'll be there the fourth week April, six people, 5-day Park-Hoppers.
    I've planned our trip very carefully and am spending around $1,000 per person, (obviously we're staying off-property), and that is over-estimating some costs such as food and gas.

One of the things I planned (and now I'm second-guessing myself, too late to change, non refundable reservations already made) was to go Sunday-Thursday in case Fantasmic (my M-I-L loves it) is weekend-only while we're there. I'm wondering if that Sunday is going to be ridiculously crowded. Maybe we'll plan on spending it doing some things that are not, shall I say, main attractions. Then again maybe it is going to be super crowded every day we're there. We'll find out. I tried to strategically plan to go during an off-peak time, and spend mostly weekdays in the parks. I know it'll be wonderful no matter what.

We were watching home videos the other day from our trip in '05. My four-year-old, who wasn't born at the time, was laughing with glee watching them, and was narrating as if he had been there himself. Needless to say he is very excited about the trip and tells me daily that he can't wait.
    With flights from Canada, $1800 is about the cheapest it can be done if you are buying everything.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SemiCircle View Post
    I think he would think exactly what you and I think. "What a bunch of !!!"
    If I didn't have a wife and children, Disneyland wouldn't be a destination for me.
    More like the Serengeti.

• Banned User

With flights from Canada, $1800 is about the cheapest it can be done if you are buying everything.
    Ah, yes, when you add that to the equation, it seems about right.
    I have the luxury of being within driving distance,
    with a quick stay in Vegas on the way there and back (so convenient!).

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    You have to understand this events purpose. TDA is trying to draw AP's away from the weekends and into the week cause they add to overcrowding of the parks and parking. This was talk about by Al Lutz almost 6 months ago. If this was a ticketed event, it would not draw in enough AP and defeat it purpose.
    I understand the purpose, I just doubt it will work. Instead it presents the general public with the impression that Disney is giving more to an AP audience that already crowds out the tourists. For those spending a small fortune on a vacation, seeing a sign advertising extended hours for AP's only is a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I do NOT have the option of the payment plan, so let's please not generalize to all AP holders.
    Likewise not all AP holders have a large upfront cost. There are a mix of monthly payments and upfronts. There are no hard numbers on how many of each there are. What we do know is that monthly greatly expanded the overall AP population. MY point is that an AP has an upfront for a pass they can use all year, and sometimes they don't even have an upfront they have deposit plus monthly. A tourist has a substantially higher upfront and tickets for a specific timeframe (usually a week at most).

For those saying "well Tourists have Magic Mornings" that doesn't compare to an ENTIRE PARK being open 2 EXTRA HOURS... and Magic Morning is specific to certain packages not just someone walking up buying a ticket for the day!

I realize a lot of the members on Micechat have AP's and I've clearly hit a nerve. All I ask is that you try to see it from the perspective of those coming in on vacation. Disney created the overcrowding problem. They sell tourists on multi-day tickets based on the overcrowding problem. They're now trying to sell more AP's by placing the signs near the ticketing booths... thereby increasing the overcrowding problem. As I said for tourists dropping a grand or more on a week vacation that is a serious slap in the face.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I'm torn on this one. I do realize that Disneyland Resort is a business, and that APs represent a large portion of their customer base. It makes sense therefore they they are trying to retain APs while attracting new ones, which is difficult given the rising costs of a Pass and unstable economy.

That being said, DLR would not remain viable without both Annual Passholders AND out of area tourists that do not have an AP but rather save up and spend the same upfront coast as an Annual Passholder for a much, much shorter timeframe. To be fair, a large portion of that goes to airlines, or gas stations, and off property hotels and not to Disney. Nonetheless, it is insulting and does feel a little like a slap in the face to spend a small fortune to walk up to the gates and see a sign stating that you are essentially a second-class citizen in the eyes of Disney. Surely they could find a way to extend perks to APs without offending everyone else.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast