Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    For those spending a small fortune on a vacation, seeing a sign advertising extended hours for AP's only is a slap in the face.

. . .

They're now trying to sell more AP's by placing the signs near the ticketing booths... thereby increasing the overcrowding problem. As I said for tourists dropping a grand or more on a week vacation that is a serious slap in the face.
    I think that the vast majority of casual, once every 7-10 year tourists, don't really know about/care about the APers, and their first thought is to get into the park and ride as many rides as possible. They start out early in the morning, and then leave after the fireworks, can't see them being that upset that they didn't get the extra two hours in the parks.

How is this going to work anyway? APers get MagicBands or special bracelets to ride stuff? Is there going to be an announcement that regular guests have to leave the park?

The biggest issue is the lines, for the average guest, if APers are turned into vampires that only go to the park around 9 p.m. to midnight, then this will alleviate this problem.

Remember, most casual tourists who come for a once in a lifetime experience have little kids, can't see them wanting to be in the park past 10 pm.

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Exactly. The $850 upfont is nothing compared to the $2000 that it can cost per person for someone like me to go to the parks. Not only that but I only get 5 days for that price, and not a whole year.
    Not every day at DL is created equal. I would bet the tourist who spends the whole day at the park will cost the company more in staff, maintenance, and electricity than the AP who only stays for a few hours. That discounted "per day" AP price starts to make a lot more sense when you consider how much park an AP utilizes.

And then there's that supply and demand thing where prices reflect what people are willing to pay. Sure you can raise AP prices to reflect what the tourist pays...but no one will buy it. Locals will go back to 1 day ticket a year and disney gets a net loss from their local market. Even with the savings in maintenance and staff, all APs turned day ticketers will be a loss.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SemiCircle View Post
    It's sad because Walt built this park for a place for families to be together. Imagine what he would think about adult single men obsessing on things like there being a new popcorn machine in Fantasyland (heard this very thing on a podcast).
    Families being together, and regular visitors aren't mutually exclusive, so long as average guests can, more or less, get on the rides.

One exception is Carsland, specificially RSR, is a big draw for families with kids, and it has been heavily advertised, but if you don't get to the gate at rope drop, run to FastPass, you sorta miss our or have to wait forever to ride it. But this is more of a DCA problem as DCA lacks quality rides like stuff in Carsland.

For a long time, there was a guy, (sadly I think he may have had chronic mental health issues) who came to Disneyland everyday and sat on a park bench, and all of the castmembers knew him. I think Walt wasn't a "hater" and would pleased that people were enjoying the park in whatever capacity.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The biggest issue is the lines, for the average guest, if APers are turned into vampires that only go to the park around 9 p.m. to midnight, then this will alleviate this problem.
    And this is where the comment came into play about not allowing AP's into the park until 10am if the park opens at 8am... give the Guests a couple hours to clock in a few Fastpasses before the Locals rush in. That seems like a viable perk. I'm not talking about Magic Mornings, which is select rides/lands. I'm talking about full park access for ticketed media only for the first two hours of opening.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I don't think Walt would be happy with the current path of Disneyland. Do you?
    Yeah...maybe not but Walt might have also not allowed Indy and Star Wars into the company so....yeah...and who knows what he would have done about Pixar

Walt in his day did amazing things but he was not perfect...I just wish we had a 21st century "Walt" figure around to give the company more of one direction

•   
    • Minion

I'm kind of confused as to why people think that experience/park access should directly correlate to dollars spent. Variable pricing is a reality in any leisure activity. If you get on a plane and quiz 20 people in Economy you will probably find that they paid 20 different prices. They all have the same seating and they're going to the same destination. If you go to a concert you might have paid $100 and the guy next to you might have bought his ticket from a scalper for $200. You're all seeing the same show.

Sure in some instances if you pay more you get more - and if you're a member of the loyalty club you might get some other perks thrown your way...but the fact remains that you might be paying more or less than the person next to you for the same experience.

At Disney the price for basic access to the park is variable but you're all guaranteed the same access. Whether you paid $20 for your AP monthly payment or $200 for your park hopper Disney considers that acceptable for full access to the park. If they want to throw some extra perks to APs for their loyalty or Disney hotel guests for their patronage that's all lagniappe, so to speak. Trying to say that someone is somehow entitled to more because they paid more for their basic park access ticket really doesn't work iMHO.

• Wished I lived closer!

I LOVE the idea of us "tourists" getting a few hours in the morning to ourselves...as in the entire park! I caused a big stink on Micechat a few years ago when my family traveled to DL over the UEA weekend in October. I was so upset by the crowds of people I asked if DL ever gave out refunds. Man, did I hear about it! The first time I ever went to DL was when I was 3. Since then I have traveled back 4 times with a total days of being in the parks about 15. I couldn't believe the amount of people in the parks on our last trip. I mean, I really couldn't believe it. However, for whatever crazy reason we are going back again this June. Part of me hopes for "it to be like it used to be" but I know that that is mostly likely not going to happen. So I prepare myself mentally, plan out our days using Ridemax and prepare the kids for the crowds. We are staying off property, will be getting a 4 day "Magic My Way" pass (hey, let's jack up the prices for the tourists and make them pay more for a Park Hopper pass!), airfare, food, car rental etc will cost our family over 4,000! And yet I continue to come because I love Disney so much. Because our 3 kids love Disney and because I won't give up hope that maybe one of those days we are there won't be "that busy."

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'm kind of confused as to why people think that experience/park access should directly correlate to dollars spent. Variable pricing is a reality in any leisure activity. If you get on a plane and quiz 20 people in Economy you will probably find that they paid 20 different prices. They all have the same seating and they're going to the same destination. If you go to a concert you might have paid $100 and the guy next to you might have bought his ticket from a scalper for $200. You're all seeing the same show.

Sure in some instances if you pay more you get more - and if you're a member of the loyalty club you might get some other perks thrown your way...but the fact remains that you might be paying more or less than the person next to you for the same experience.

At Disney the price for basic access to the park is variable but you're all guaranteed the same access. Whether you paid $20 for your AP monthly payment or $200 for your park hopper Disney considers that acceptable for full access to the park. If they want to throw some extra perks to APs for their loyalty or Disney hotel guests for their patronage that's all lagniappe, so to speak. Trying to say that someone is somehow entitled to more because they paid more for their basic park access ticket really doesn't work iMHO.
    Excellent post.

I completely understand the frustration of paying big bucks for a once-in-a-whatever vacation and finding the parks to be packed. Despite all the wailing about ticket price increases, the DLR is still an extremely popular destination for a giant screaming buttload of people. If smaller crowds during your visit are important, go when it's less crowded (non-holiday weekdays and days when the parks close early are usually great). If you can't go during those times, you'll need to change your expectations of how your visit will go.

I was there the last weekend of January, during the big NAMM convention. It threatened to rain the four days I was there and that kept everyone away. Even on Sat/Sun, the attractions were walk-ons. We walked onto Toy Story Midway Mania, exited, and walked right back on again. Days of smaller crowds do still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    With flights from Canada, $1800 is about the cheapest it can be done if you are buying everything.

If in the lower mainland fly from bellingham. My last trip on Alaska, was 160 round trip from Bellingham, there is no reason to pay the high prices from a Canadian airport if in BC lower mainland.

Spend more, get more. Is it fair the Hotel guests get Magic Morning Hours? Is it fair that AP's get discounts and cheaper rates on rooms?

• Eek Opp Ork Ah Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

You are confused why experience should correlate with dollars? Really? That's how money works. No one would go into a McDonald's and pay the prices of a fancy restaurant. There is a direct correlation between what you get and what you pay; or at should be The Disneyland annual passes are a great deal for locals, but for tourists - it is diminishing the value of a trip to Disneyland.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Not every day at DL is created equal. I would bet the tourist who spends the whole day at the park will cost the company more in staff, maintenance, and electricity than the AP who only stays for a few hours. That discounted "per day" AP price starts to make a lot more sense when you consider how much park an AP utilizes.

And then there's that supply and demand thing where prices reflect what people are willing to pay. Sure you can raise AP prices to reflect what the tourist pays...but no one will buy it. Locals will go back to 1 day ticket a year and disney gets a net loss from their local market. Even with the savings in maintenance and staff, all APs turned day ticketers will be a loss.
    I doubt your numbers. Not only are "tourists" more likely to buy food and other in park things that bring in margins for Disney, but they also are more likely to spread their time out "seeing everything". They are also more likely to go back to the pool midday. (Don't forget that they are the ones paying to stay at the hotels in the first place). Compare that to the crush of AP holders who rush the E-tickets and shows and spend their entire visit in those lines and viewing areas.. There are too many variables to be able to say for sure that either one is more or less taxing, but in $/hr in the park, tourists outspend drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    If in the lower mainland fly from bellingham. My last trip on Alaska, was 160 round trip from Bellingham, there is no reason to pay the high prices from a Canadian airport if in BC lower mainland.
    Sadly I am not. Even then, my time is worth something and you fall into the pitfalls of parking, etc.

•   
    • Minion

You are confused why experience should correlate with dollars? Really? That's how money works. No one would go into a McDonald's and pay the prices of a fancy restaurant. There is a direct correlation between what you get and what you pay; or at should be The Disneyland annual passes are a great deal for locals, but for tourists - it is diminishing the value of a trip to Disneyland.
    And the examples I gave show that when you're talking about leisure activities, money doesn't work that way. At the hotel you stay at, do you think everyone pays the same price? Do you think that everyone coming into DLR with hard tickets has paid the same price, for that matter? No. Some have bought their tickets at Costco, that person over there has a military discount, that one has a SoCal discount, that one bought a cheaper ticket from their employer; that one got a free ticket from their friend in Club 33; that one paid full price at the gate. The point being, everyone pays different amounts and gets the same product, which is admission to Disneyland for the day. APs are one more price variation in that mix.

With the example you gave...at a fancy restaurant you might pay full price, but the person next to you is a friend of the chef; the one across the aisle is getting a Groupon deal and the one over there is using points from their American Express card for dinner. Again, the price is never equal for all and you can't vilify those who get a better deal.

If you want to buy specific add-ons to your experience once you're in Disneyland it's one thing. If you're restricting basic access based on purchase price, it's quite another. The perks that APs get are no different than the perks you'd get if you were, say, in an airline frequent flyer club or a professional group. Businesses tend to want to reward those who stay with the company or commit up front to memberships.
    Last edited by Malina; 02-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.

• Minion

I understand the original poster. I have been both a local and a tourist to Disney. As a tourist I hated crowds but as a local (AP-holder, mind you) I actually always kinda felt bad when people were here for a once in a lifetime trip and people who can come back any day like myself were fighting tourists for FPs or taking advantage of secrets and shortcuts that the tourists didn't know about. It all came down to how it seemed unfair.

However, also as an AP-er, I wouldn't waste my time on super crowded days, so in some ways there is a balance so to speak. But the fact of the matter is Disney is a business. People keep coming back for more. All that says to Disney is that they're doing everything right. I have yet to see someone boycott Disneyland vacations because it was too crowded, but I have seen people boycott AP's because they're too expensive. So naturally, they would make sure the AP becomes more valuable.

All in all, while it may not be fair at all, there's not really an identifiable, measurable flaw with the way things are now, so there is a 'if it ain't fix, don't broke it' mentality going on.

I just think Disneyland should extend its hours -- period.

If there truly is no longer an off-season, in terms of crowding, then Disneyland shouldn't have off-season-type hours.

If the real issue here is that tourists come from out of state and feel it's unfair to have to leave Disneyland at 8pm, then Disneyland should stay open until *at least* 10 or 11 on weekdays and midnight on weekends -- all year.

The original justification for the shortened hours was that the crowds were so light that they couldn't support operations for extended hours. Now that it's busy all year, keep Disneyland open later all year. Let the schedule reflect the actual crowd levels.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast