Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP's?

I noticed the sign yesterday. AP's, extended hours after park closing, specific dates. The reason I mention it is that yesterday was wall to wall people in both parks. From what I've gleaned on here those crowds are the norm, not the exception. I was stunned to see how many people were in the parks. Then I thought about it. Disney has encouraged the growth of the AP Program. They've expanded Fastpass. They've announced the upcoming Magic Bracelets. And they've cracked down on Multi-Day ticket renting. In short... they've packed the park and are thrilled to spin tourists on the idea of Multi-Day Tickets. Gone are the days when you could "do it all in a day". Now they tell you how crowded it is, and explain how much nicer it would be to relax and see the crowded park over several days... crowds they created I might add...

Which brings me back to the topic. If ANYONE should be getting extended hours wouldn't you think it'd be the actual ticket media? Shouldn't it be those who traveled the distance and paid the day rate or multi-day rate to get in? I'm not just talking Magic Mornings, I'm talking extended hours in general? Instead Disney is booting out the ticketed media in favor of a couple extra hours of AP's... what's worse they have a sign telling you that before you even buy a ticket!

Just an observation on my part. I am very curious what others think. My family was able to enjoy the park due to the kindness of old friends. We hadn't been in over a year and we are extremely thankful for the chance to go. In 12 hours split between both parks we managed 9 attractions, lunch, and dinner... which seems to be the "experience" Disney is hoping for so they can talk people into a multi-day ticket!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• -

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

It should be just as it is. A perk for their core fanbase. They are giving back to the diehards who pay up to $850 a year to come multiple times to their 8 domestic parks.

It is also a good tool for Disney to market the further sale of passes. If the public sees first hand the some of the special experience that Passholders get, this may help convince those who are on the fence about buying a pass to make the purchase.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Anyone else think the extended hours should be for regular Guests and not for AP'

They're just trying to divert AP's from the busy days. Thursday late hours so those AP'ers won't want to block up the park on Friday nights.
    I don't see how this affects Friday nights one bit. I mean, when I went to WDW, one of the tips for which park to go to was, "don't go to the park on the early morning magic hours" because it will be too crowded. So, you go to one of the other parks instead.
    If that is the case here, then there will be plenty of AP'ers skipping Thursday and going to Friday, thinking that it won't be as crowded.
    If there were, say, 50000 AP'ers, something like this would work just fine. But there are 1 million. All it takes is 50000 of them to think that Friday will be less crowded because of the Thursday night extra hours.
    And no, I do not blame AP'ers one bit. It is a natural, rational thought process.

Hey, new guy: there is but one solution to every problem with DL. Figure it out, do the math.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

I think its a temporary experiment. It won't last.

The AP problem is best tackled by staggered block out dates. The guests should be able to pick their own preferred block-out dates to even the crowds. It is just a mess now.

• Eek Opp Ork Ah Ha

I can tell you as an out of state family, it's becoming a rawer rawer deal for a Disneyland Vacation. It is simply getting too crowed for the cost. We are doing an alternate vacation this year because of this situation. We hope it gets fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post

Hey, new guy: there is but one solution to every problem with DL. Figure it out, do the math.
    Or Disney can do what they are doing now and attack the AP attendance patterns through multiple efforts to control visits(blackouts, hard ticket events), make them more predictable(AP events and hours), increase capacity(DCA 2.0) and crowd management measures(FP+).

We may reach a day when everyone gets to have their cake and eat it too. I bet those tourists sure loved eating their slice of evenly dispersed crowds this past summer. DL had some serious elbow room for a record summer season! Did they even have to close gates at Xmas time?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    They're just trying to divert AP's from the busy days. Thursday late hours so those AP'ers won't want to block up the park on Friday nights.
    Does nobody work on Fridays anymore? I think that techskip's got a point when you think about the vacationing guests who have no obligation the next day other than what they set on their agenda yet they're the ones who are subjected to reduced hours. To me it seems like this is more of an attempt to get the younger local kids to go on an alternate day than it is a wide ranged AP benefit. I live in downtown San Diego and I'm an AP but I see no value whatsoever in staying even 1 hour longer in the park on a Thursday night knowing that I have work and my kids have school the next day.

I do think that the weekend evenings bring far too many teenagers and that in theory this AP program is an inventive effort to create another nighttime atmosphere opportunity for them but with the amount of adults who swarm the parks on Friday & Saturday evenings I feel like the events will prove to be more of a budget suck than anything else.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• "I Break Things"

I realize that AP's pay a substantial upfront cost... wait they have a payment plan... AP's have the OPTION of paying a substantial upfront cost. Otherwise they can manage their AP Payment the same as they do any household monthly expense.

Which brings me back to the tourist, or more specifically the multi-day tourist. This is the "high roller". This is the person or family that sets down thousands for a Magic vacation. Disney loves these tourists but they are fickle. They want to see the value in the dollars they spend. Unlike the AP's who can always come back, tourists have a limited time to "see it all". So Disney gave them an extra hour in the morning on certain days. They gave them a special gate at GCH (which is sometimes enforced). They offered programs with extra Fastpasses... and now they offer AP's extended hours??? what??? that helps the big spending tourist how???

It would make more sense to limit the AP's entrance. For example, no AP entrance before 10am on an 8am opening day. Another example, no AP entrance after 930pm (except re-admissions) on evenings when Disneyland closes at midnight. If they start giving Guests crowd free mornings on top of Magic Mornings, maybe the tourists will be a little happier. We showed up around 10am on Sunday... most of the Fastpasses for the top rides had already run their course. AP's can go any day, but the survival of the park, the "big money" is the tourists that more and more don't see the value in a crowded park. Instead they walk in and they are greeted with a sign telling them just how valuable their business is. They pay a thousand plus, they get less hours in the park. Combine that with the crackdown on multi-day tickets and the end result is a forced overcrowding situation. They shell out the AP's then tell the tourists that to truly experience the park they need a multi-day because it's too crowded otherwise.

I can tell you right now if I had to shell out $80 or $100 a person for the crowds we had yesterday I wouldn't do it. If I knew yesterday would be an "average crowd" I wouldn't have an AP. I strongly believe in voting with my wallet. I am EXTREMELY grateful for my friends. We had a great time, the kids got to see the essential rides they really wanted to see. But I remember getting more done in a summer day at Disneyland then we did yesterday! I remember a park that could be enjoyed, not elbowed and rushed.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

You have to understand this events purpose. TDA is trying to draw AP's away from the weekends and into the week cause they add to overcrowding of the parks and parking. This was talk about by Al Lutz almost 6 months ago. If this was a ticketed event, it would not draw in enough AP and defeat it purpose.

• Minion

I think its a great idea its not like they are closing the park early for APers the park closes at its normal time of 9-10 and extends for an extra 2 hours so it not like its making normal guest leave early ,cause that's the posted times for the day and they stay open 2 hours later then the time posted that it closes so I don't see an issue, if the park closed at lets say 7:00 then it would be unfair but its not does anyone get what I'm saying I'm not trying to sound mean or start anything but its my opinion

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Selfie Expert

I do NOT have the option of the payment plan, so let's please not generalize to all AP holders.

I must be the luckiest person in the world. I went last Saturday (the 2nd), and my husband and I experience a VERY light crowd until about noon. We had Carsland to ourselves, Star Tours was a 5 minute wait... it was fabulous! I was shocked since I'm always prepared for weekends to be a nightmare and we had been spoiled by taking weekday trips, but it was fine. It got busy later in the day, like it always does, but with the utilization of FP it would have been fine. Especially now that FP is enforced, this should keep the FP lines reasonable (moreso than now where the evenings get so clogged).

I guess it all comes down to what's a tolerable wait time/crowd level is to each person. Hopefully people do their research, expect crowds, and make the best of their trip or choose to go elsewhere if it isn't for them.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I realize that AP's pay a substantial upfront cost... wait they have a payment plan... AP's have the OPTION of paying a substantial upfront cost. Otherwise they can manage their AP Payment the same as they do any household monthly expense.

Which brings me back to the tourist, or more specifically the multi-day tourist. This is the "high roller". This is the person or family that sets down thousands for a Magic vacation. Disney loves these tourists but they are fickle. They want to see the value in the dollars they spend. Unlike the AP's who can always come back, tourists have a limited time to "see it all". So Disney gave them an extra hour in the morning on certain days. They gave them a special gate at GCH (which is sometimes enforced). They offered programs with extra Fastpasses... and now they offer AP's extended hours??? what??? that helps the big spending tourist how???

It would make more sense to limit the AP's entrance. For example, no AP entrance before 10am on an 8am opening day. Another example, no AP entrance after 930pm (except re-admissions) on evenings when Disneyland closes at midnight. If they start giving Guests crowd free mornings on top of Magic Mornings, maybe the tourists will be a little happier. We showed up around 10am on Sunday... most of the Fastpasses for the top rides had already run their course. AP's can go any day, but the survival of the park, the "big money" is the tourists that more and more don't see the value in a crowded park. Instead they walk in and they are greeted with a sign telling them just how valuable their business is. They pay a thousand plus, they get less hours in the park. Combine that with the crackdown on multi-day tickets and the end result is a forced overcrowding situation. They shell out the AP's then tell the tourists that to truly experience the park they need a multi-day because it's too crowded otherwise.

I can tell you right now if I had to shell out $80 or $100 a person for the crowds we had yesterday I wouldn't do it. If I knew yesterday would be an "average crowd" I wouldn't have an AP. I strongly believe in voting with my wallet. I am EXTREMELY grateful for my friends. We had a great time, the kids got to see the essential rides they really wanted to see. But I remember getting more done in a summer day at Disneyland then we did yesterday! I remember a park that could be enjoyed, not elbowed and rushed.
    APs are a tricky group to tackle. They are a reliable revenue so the extreme "solution" of canceling the program would be disastrous to income. But they are a HUGE group so you can't just cater to them and alienate the tourist. The AP holder was there when the tourist didn't fill the newly formed "resort." But also the tourist justifies building a "resort."

You even said yourself, the tourists get perks too. Early entry and Hard ticket events benefit the tourist. My magic will also help give the tourist an advantage. IMO Disney needs to cater to both groups like they currently are because the DLR as we know it can't exist without either one of them.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• I am number 4 of 999

They offer the Extra Morning Hour perk for Guests of the Disneyland Resort Hotels on a daily basis. And Magic Morning for Guests with 3 day park hoppers.

So, no, I don't think the extended hours should be for "regular" Guests.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

People at the hotel get magic morning...we get this..seems fair to me and it brings AP's back to the parks..I know I'm going on a Thursday now with friends because of this event

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Which brings me back to the topic. If ANYONE should be getting extended hours wouldn't you think it'd be the actual ticket media? Shouldn't it be those who traveled the distance and paid the day rate or multi-day rate to get in?
    But the folks, especially young families, who trek across country to see Disneyland are the ones who are on vacation, usually get to the park early, and stay until they've seen the parade/fireworks.

APers might wake-up on a Saturday morning and decide to go the the park at some point later in the day. More non-APers show up for rope drop than APers, I would guess.

This is why it makes sense to let the non-APers use the magic morning/early entry hours.

Also, APers didn't fully utilize early entry hours for Carsland this summer . . .

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast