Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

If we're matching ride for ride I have to say that WDW TOT is much butter, along with the Haunted mansion.

• Minion

Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

I'll be really controversial here and say that I think PotC is better at WDW too. Though I personally like the DL version more simply because of its length and drops, hear me out as to why WDW's is better.

1. Fits more in Adventureland's Caribbean Plaza than in New Orleans Square, and the surrounding area is nice and pirate-y.

2. The queue really envelops you in the ride more and sets the tone for it. The loading station is also way way better at MK.

3. The ride gets right to business. People always say that MK's is abbreviated but the only thing they took out were the extensive cave scenes which honestly can get quite tedious after a while. The MK version has all the main scenes in tact and gets right to them.

4. It doesn't have the annoyingly bumpy chain lift at the end in MK, which not only takes you out of the theme, but also is uncomfortable and ends up putting you on display to everyone in line which I've always thought was a bit awkward...and anti-climatic.

Honestly, DL's Pirates seems quite overrated to me.

• Banned User

Honestly, as someone who mostly visits WDW now because it is just closer for us and my parents have a timeshare we use, the scope of just how much better DL's pirates is compared to WDW's is the single attraction difference that stands out the most. last summer we happened to be in orange county and visited DL for 1 day and then had an actual vacation at WDW towards the end of summer. It is the only clone ride that i have ever exited and said, you have got to be kidding me. That's it.
    It actually felt like a rip off. I had ridden both before, but riding them both so close together, and DL's first, it was amazing just how much better DL's was.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I'll be really controversial here and say that I think PotC is better at WDW too. Though I personally like the DL version more simply because of its length and drops, hear me out as to why WDW's is better.

1. Fits more in Adventureland's Caribbean Plaza than in New Orleans Square, and the surrounding area is nice and pirate-y.

2. The queue really envelops you in the ride more and sets the tone for it. The loading station is also way way better at MK.

3. The ride gets right to business. People always say that MK's is abbreviated but the only thing they took out were the extensive cave scenes which honestly can get quite tedious after a while. The MK version has all the main scenes in tact and gets right to them.

4. It doesn't have the annoyingly bumpy chain lift at the end in MK, which not only takes you out of the theme, but also is uncomfortable and ends up putting you on display to everyone in line which I've always thought was a bit awkward...and anti-climatic.

Honestly, DL's Pirates seems quite overrated to me.
    Pirates at DL absolutely trounces MK's version. There's really no competition. The New Orleans location is perfect, since a lot of people made trades with pirates in Louisiana. The Blue Bayou also helps. It's longer, more scenes, more elaborate, the sound is better... I could name other things, but I don't think I need to.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Circle of Ancients

Direct Comparisons (better at WDW):

Splash Mountain
    Haunted Mansion
    Big Thunder
    Jungle Cruise
    Space Mountain
    Tomorrowland Speedway (Autopia)
    Winnie the Pooh
    Tower of Terror
    Jungle Cruise

Comparable Ride Systems or themes better at WDW:

Nemo (better at EPCOT)
    Test Track > Radiator Springs Racers
    Philharmagic > Captain EO (or any other 3D movie)
    Expedition Everest > Matterhorn

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Pirates at DL absolutely trounces MK's version. There's really no competition. The New Orleans location is perfect, since a lot of people made trades with pirates in Louisiana. The Blue Bayou also helps. It's longer, more scenes, more elaborate, the sound is better... I could name other things, but I don't think I need to.
    ok...that's your opinion

• Johnny and Me!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Tom Sawyer Island. It is larger, and the fort is still open!

• Dead men tell no tales.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Space Mountain at WDW is just awful. So jerky and you can see the track the whole time.
    I agree, WDW Space Mountain is just the Matterhorn in the dark.

• Future Imagineer

Pirates always has been and always will be better at DL. The mood with Blue Bayou on the shore, the cave scenes and such, all seems to set up the story perfect. Almost as if all of the pirate tales of history occur all way off shore, where there is no civilization ish.. catch my drift?
    haha ToT is waaaay better at WDW for reasons stated.
    And though not nearly identical at all, I would rather have Matterhorn than Everest--that is, unless they fixed Disco Yeti. Then it would be Everest.
    The Railroad in MK has a stop by Splash--awesome, and convenient. Big Thunder is great on the ROA in MK.
    lol and for us Captain EO fans, I feel that though Epcot has a better 3d set-up for it (DL hurts my eyes a lot, no matter where I sit), DL has the much needed volume for the music.
    Again, not related hardly, but I would definitely pick RnR over Screamin'.
    Double Dumbo looks fantastic in MK.
    People Mover--obviously.
    Buzz in DL is better--guns can be picked up and aimed, not secured onto the ride vehicle.
    TSM seems more fitting on the Boardwalk at DCA...
    Monorails looks a lot more sleek at DL.
    "Remember" fireworks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Wishes"
    Peter Pan at WDW is better, longer, and more awesome.
    Pooh in WDW rocks. Literally.
    And Space is arguable. I am a fan of the Matterhorn, so I LOVE WDW, but the smoothness of DL is also quite enjoyable. If they made the one 'real drop' in DL longer, steeper, and faster, DL would trump WDW.
    Autopia is probably the biggest difference. WDW literally suuuuuuuuucks. NO theme. NO decorations. The SHORTEST track.. oh gosh, I hate it.
    Main Street DL will always be better than WDW.

My two cents worth
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Filmmaker

I've noticed Splash Mountain comes up commonly as one that's superior at MK, but I've always preferred Disneyland's for whatever reason. It could be my home park bias coming out, but I just think Disneyland's feels better in some way. Maybe it's the music (I prefer the orchestral to the country twang), maybe it's the charming simplicity of the sets (MK's feels sort of overcooked), or maybe it's the inclusion of the Burroughs' Lament. Whatever it is, I've always preferred Disneyland's.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Space Mountain at WDW is just awful. So jerky and you can see the track the whole time.
    I agree, it is too light in there. That is why I like DL's better. Also, it has been a few years since I went to WDW but it seems to me that the loading area shares the same room as the ride. Am I remembering right?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I agree, it is too light in there. That is why I like DL's better. Also, it has been a few years since I went to WDW but it seems to me that the loading area shares the same room as the ride. Am I remembering right?
    Yes, but they've covered that area up to avoid light pollution. The ride is quite a bit darker now.

• Minion

Winnie the Pooh, definitely.

Splash Mountain is kind of a toss up for me because there are things that I like better about both. The exterior of the mountain is prettier at DL, the log seating makes the drops more thrilling, and it is more properly maintained. WDW has longer and better show scenes (even if they're less maintained), and despite the slightly more thrilling aspect of DL's logs, the WDW ones are a lot more comfortable. I also like how the splashdown is integrated into the walkway area so that you can watch people come all the way down the mountain and then float around the bend (you can do this to an extent in DL now that they've reopened that hidden back area, but your view is a lot more limited).

Thunder Mountain at WDW has some really neat elements that we don't have here, like how your train does a fun sort of roll through the old west town at the end. Also the geysers, and the placement of it out in the RoA.

Tom Sawyer Island, definitely better at WDW. It's bigger and more "wilderness-y", still has the FORT open, has that great big porch at Aunt Polly's (even though it doesn't serve food anymore) with tables and rocking chairs that overlook the river and the Haunted Mansion. Oh, and no stupid Pirate's Lair crap.

Swiss Family Treehouse beats Tarzan's. 'Nuff said.

Astro Orbiter is definitely better in its rightful place high up on the platform.

WDW's Jungle Cruise is longer and has the cool temple, but I'm not sure if I like it better or not.

Haunted Mansion, I could never bring myself to say that I like WDW's better, although it is very cool. There are some elements that they've added to the WDW version in recent years that I wish would be brought to ours (meaning things like the Madame Leota headstone in the queue, the neat audio enhancement in the stretching room that makes the Ghost Host sound like he's floating around the room, and the blinking eyes on the wallpaper. Absolutely NOT the McDonald's Playland queue or the Looney Tunes Hitchhiking Ghosts, though).

Back when they still had it, I liked Snow White better at WDW because it had a real ending.

Even though I think ToT is an EEEEVIL ride, it's still better at WDW. Even though I won't be riding it on either coast ever again, LOL.

• Banned User

Jungle Cruise, Astro Orbiter, and Little Mermaid. Thats it

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Comparable Ride Systems or themes better at WDW:

Test Track > Radiator Springs Racers
    Really??? I thought RSR was so charming and adorable and fun- and Test Track has had any charm and soul it had ripped out with the refurb. (IMO anyway)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast