Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75
  1. #46

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Disneyland's Space Mountain is significantly better than WDW's version of the ride. How anyone can suggest otherwise is out of their mind. The WDW version is jerky and not nearly as fast as Disneyland's version.

    Also, Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean is significantly better than WDW's version. The beginning portion at Disneyland with the Blue Bayou adds alot more character to the ride and the Disneyland version has more and better drops.

    That being said, WDW's Tower of Terror is better than DCA's version. There is an opening sequence at WDW where the elevator moves along some tracks for awhile and some added scenes that you don't have at DCA. I also prefer Toy Story Mania at WDW for the simple reason that you can get fast passes there (I still don't understand why Toy Story Mania at DCA doesn't have a fast pass machine). For the same reason, I prefer WDW's version of Peter Pan (which also has a better loading mechanism giving it a greater capacity than Disneyland). The rockets are also better at WDW because they are elevated like they used to be at Disneyland (before they got moved to the entrance to Tomorrowland). As far as Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, I didn't notice any major differences. I enjoy both the DLR and WDW versions of these rides about the same.

    Other rides that are worth comparing are DCA's California Screamin' and WDW's Rock n' Roller Coaster. Between those two, I prefer the Rock n' Roller Coaster because it has more inversions and I like the Aerosmith music involved. Also, while WDW doesn't have the Matterhorn, it does have a better snowman-themed rollercoaster in Expedition Everest. Also, while DCA has Radiator Springs Racers, WDW has a similar ride in Test Track. While Test Track seems faster, if you include the ride theming, Radiator Springs Racers is an overall better experience. Finally, while Disneyland has Indiana Jones, WDW has a ride with similar motion vehicles with a dinosaur theme appropriately called "Dinosaur." Between those two, I prefer Indiana Jones because of better theming as well.

  2. #47

    • Avid MC reader since 2005
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    530

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackTwo View Post
    (I still don't understand why Toy Story Mania at DCA doesn't have a fast pass machine).
    Yeah. Goofy's Sky School has FP but TSM doesn't.... there is something wrong there.

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackTwo View Post
    Disneyland's Space Mountain is significantly better than WDW's version of the ride. How anyone can suggest otherwise is out of their mind. The WDW version is jerky and not nearly as fast as Disneyland's version.

    Also, Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean is significantly better than WDW's version. The beginning portion at Disneyland with the Blue Bayou adds alot more character to the ride and the Disneyland version has more and better drops.
    WDW's Space Mountain is not only the original, but also has actual drops...not one puny one, three really big ones, one of which is actually a steep, stomach-in-your-mouth drop. The turns are more intense too, and the overall ride experience is much more thrilling. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there's an argument for WDW's.

    Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.

  4. #49

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    I find that at whatever park an attraction makes its debut... that original version tends to be the best. But there are exceptions to this little theory of mine as people have previously pointed out on this thread.

  5. #50

    • Dead men tell no tales.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    185

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    WDW's Space Mountain is not only the original, but also has actual drops...not one puny one, three really big ones, one of which is actually a steep, stomach-in-your-mouth drop. The turns are more intense too, and the overall ride experience is much more thrilling. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there's an argument for WDW's.

    Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.
    You can go to six flags and get steeper drops for a lower price. Honestly, I don't ride Space Mountain for the thrill rush, I ride it because of the amazing soundtrack and superb special effects, something only the Disneyland version offers.

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    You can go to six flags and get steeper drops for a lower price. Honestly, I don't ride Space Mountain for the thrill rush, I ride it because of the amazing soundtrack and superb special effects, something only the Disneyland version offers.
    Well for that matter, you can go to a movie for amazing special effects and soundtracks for even cheaper

    We're comparing rides in similar theme parks lol...I'm just saying there's an argument that can be made for WDW because of what some may consider a superior track layout.

  7. #52

    • Filmmaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    285

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.
    I disagree that Blue Bayou is out of theme. I think the queue/load for Pirates at DL is perfectly effective in what it's trying to accomplish: essentially time-travel. You begin in 19th century New Orleans, riding a boat through the bayou at night. As you pass under the archway you see a ghostly skull offering warning about what lies ahead. You fall down a waterfall into a forgotten grotto littered with the skeletal remains of pirates from centuries before. Ghostly visions appear and continue to offer warning, but you proceed ahead out of the grotto and find yourself in another time during the height of piracy in the Caribbean.

    At the end of the attraction, as you ride the lift hill you're returning to the present (relative to the 19th century setting of New Orleans Square). The skeletal remains carrying a treasure chest that have been removed used to help sell this effect better.

    WDW's version lacks this element of time travel. That doesn't make it inherently better or worse (I think the queue for Magic Kingdom's Pirates is quite spectacular) but it's wrong to dismiss Disneyland's as being ill-fitting.

  8. #53

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    ^I definitely love DL's Pirates and I get you for sure. But sometimes I think WDW's version's strengths get overlooked.

  9. #54

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    WDW's Space Mountain is not only the original, but also has actual drops...not one puny one, three really big ones, one of which is actually a steep, stomach-in-your-mouth drop. The turns are more intense too, and the overall ride experience is much more thrilling. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there's an argument for WDW's.

    Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.
    Not sure what your definition of a "big" drop is, but none of the drops on either the WDW or Disneyland version of Space Mountain would be considered "big" in my book. For that matter, I don't think any of the Disney parks have a ride with a legitimate "big" drop. Six Flags has the monopoly on that. The drops on the WDW version of Space Mountain are similar to the drops on the Matterhorn. For that matter, the ride experience on WDW's Space Mountain is similar as a whole as the Matterhorn...rough and jerky with some minor drops here and there. That simply doesn't compare to the smoother, faster experience on Disneyland's Space Mountain (which really feels like you're flying through space).

  10. #55

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,477

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.
    In WDW you start in a Spanish Fort, which I've always felt feels far more civilized than the rest of Adventureland. It takes on a Frontier style. The queue is nice, but I'd hope so the wait is much worse.

    At DLR you go into a fancy New Orleans storefront, load up on a dock, drift out of the Bayou and then out to sea.

  11. #56

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackTwo View Post
    Not sure what your definition of a "big" drop is, but none of the drops on either the WDW or Disneyland version of Space Mountain would be considered "big" in my book. For that matter, I don't think any of the Disney parks have a ride with a legitimate "big" drop. Six Flags has the monopoly on that. The drops on the WDW version of Space Mountain are similar to the drops on the Matterhorn. For that matter, the ride experience on WDW's Space Mountain is similar as a whole as the Matterhorn...rough and jerky with some minor drops here and there. That simply doesn't compare to the smoother, faster experience on Disneyland's Space Mountain (which really feels like you're flying through space).
    Ok, I should say that compared to DL, they are really big lol. But it's your opinion you like the smoother and faster (by a few miles per hour) ride on Space Mountain, I just like my G-forces!

    Although I'm not sure either roller coaster actually feels like you're flying through space, maybe a real astronaut could enlighten us on that matter...

  12. #57

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In WDW you start in a Spanish Fort, which I've always felt feels far more civilized than the rest of Adventureland. It takes on a Frontier style. The queue is nice, but I'd hope so the wait is much worse.

    At DLR you go into a fancy New Orleans storefront, load up on a dock, drift out of the Bayou and then out to sea.
    Right...Spanish fort vs storefront lol. I would think the Spanish fort is more associated with pirates.

  13. #58

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I disagree that Blue Bayou is out of theme. I think the queue/load for Pirates at DL is perfectly effective in what it's trying to accomplish: essentially time-travel. You begin in 19th century New Orleans, riding a boat through the bayou at night. As you pass under the archway you see a ghostly skull offering warning about what lies ahead. You fall down a waterfall into a forgotten grotto littered with the skeletal remains of pirates from centuries before. Ghostly visions appear and continue to offer warning, but you proceed ahead out of the grotto and find yourself in another time during the height of piracy in the Caribbean.

    At the end of the attraction, as you ride the lift hill you're returning to the present (relative to the 19th century setting of New Orleans Square). The skeletal remains carrying a treasure chest that have been removed used to help sell this effect better.

    WDW's version lacks this element of time travel. That doesn't make it inherently better or worse (I think the queue for Magic Kingdom's Pirates is quite spectacular) but it's wrong to dismiss Disneyland's as being ill-fitting.
    This.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  14. #59

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,477

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Right...Spanish fort vs storefront lol. I would think the Spanish fort is more associated with pirates.
    Have you ever been to Disneyland? By your statement you indicate you don't know what you are talking about.




  15. #60

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,626

    Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

    I know it's peoples opinions but I just can't see how anyone could find the WdW POTC to be better than the DL one. The setting of the attraction at DL is so immersive from the location of the attraction to the execution of it. To me the WdW version is so chopped up and forced. My opinion of course

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Scary Farm: 1,000 ideas that would be better than the mine ride (Invasion Beneath)
    By jcruise86 in forum Knott's Berry Farm and Cedar Fair Parks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
  2. Are there any VMK Cards still being sold/bundled with in park items at WDW?
    By Jerren in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 06:27 AM
  3. Are there any sitcoms that filmed an episode in Disneyland/DCA?
    By Micoofy Duck in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 06:05 PM
  4. What should I do at WDW that I wont find in the guide books?
    By disneydan in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 08:12 AM
  5. Are there any Disneyland regulars that own a miniDV camera
    By RU42 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •