Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

Disneyland's Space Mountain is significantly better than WDW's version of the ride. How anyone can suggest otherwise is out of their mind. The WDW version is jerky and not nearly as fast as Disneyland's version.

Also, Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean is significantly better than WDW's version. The beginning portion at Disneyland with the Blue Bayou adds alot more character to the ride and the Disneyland version has more and better drops.

That being said, WDW's Tower of Terror is better than DCA's version. There is an opening sequence at WDW where the elevator moves along some tracks for awhile and some added scenes that you don't have at DCA. I also prefer Toy Story Mania at WDW for the simple reason that you can get fast passes there (I still don't understand why Toy Story Mania at DCA doesn't have a fast pass machine). For the same reason, I prefer WDW's version of Peter Pan (which also has a better loading mechanism giving it a greater capacity than Disneyland). The rockets are also better at WDW because they are elevated like they used to be at Disneyland (before they got moved to the entrance to Tomorrowland). As far as Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, I didn't notice any major differences. I enjoy both the DLR and WDW versions of these rides about the same.

Other rides that are worth comparing are DCA's California Screamin' and WDW's Rock n' Roller Coaster. Between those two, I prefer the Rock n' Roller Coaster because it has more inversions and I like the Aerosmith music involved. Also, while WDW doesn't have the Matterhorn, it does have a better snowman-themed rollercoaster in Expedition Everest. Also, while DCA has Radiator Springs Racers, WDW has a similar ride in Test Track. While Test Track seems faster, if you include the ride theming, Radiator Springs Racers is an overall better experience. Finally, while Disneyland has Indiana Jones, WDW has a ride with similar motion vehicles with a dinosaur theme appropriately called "Dinosaur." Between those two, I prefer Indiana Jones because of better theming as well.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Are there any attractions at WDW that are clearly betteer than the DL version?

Quote Originally Posted by JackTwo View Post
    (I still don't understand why Toy Story Mania at DCA doesn't have a fast pass machine).
    Yeah. Goofy's Sky School has FP but TSM doesn't.... there is something wrong there.

• Minion

Disneyland's Space Mountain is significantly better than WDW's version of the ride. How anyone can suggest otherwise is out of their mind. The WDW version is jerky and not nearly as fast as Disneyland's version.

Also, Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean is significantly better than WDW's version. The beginning portion at Disneyland with the Blue Bayou adds alot more character to the ride and the Disneyland version has more and better drops.
    WDW's Space Mountain is not only the original, but also has actual drops...not one puny one, three really big ones, one of which is actually a steep, stomach-in-your-mouth drop. The turns are more intense too, and the overall ride experience is much more thrilling. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there's an argument for WDW's.

Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.

• film975

I find that at whatever park an attraction makes its debut... that original version tends to be the best. But there are exceptions to this little theory of mine as people have previously pointed out on this thread.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    WDW's Space Mountain is not only the original, but also has actual drops...not one puny one, three really big ones, one of which is actually a steep, stomach-in-your-mouth drop. The turns are more intense too, and the overall ride experience is much more thrilling. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there's an argument for WDW's.

Same for Pirates...though Blue Bayou might be nice (albeit out of theme), WDW's loading station and queue put guests in the setting far better than DL's queue and load do. The theming IMO is much better at WDW.
    You can go to six flags and get steeper drops for a lower price. Honestly, I don't ride Space Mountain for the thrill rush, I ride it because of the amazing soundtrack and superb special effects, something only the Disneyland version offers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    You can go to six flags and get steeper drops for a lower price. Honestly, I don't ride Space Mountain for the thrill rush, I ride it because of the amazing soundtrack and superb special effects, something only the Disneyland version offers.
    Well for that matter, you can go to a movie for amazing special effects and soundtracks for even cheaper

We're comparing rides in similar theme parks lol...I'm just saying there's an argument that can be made for WDW because of what some may consider a superior track layout.

• Filmmaker

I disagree that Blue Bayou is out of theme. I think the queue/load for Pirates at DL is perfectly effective in what it's trying to accomplish: essentially time-travel. You begin in 19th century New Orleans, riding a boat through the bayou at night. As you pass under the archway you see a ghostly skull offering warning about what lies ahead. You fall down a waterfall into a forgotten grotto littered with the skeletal remains of pirates from centuries before. Ghostly visions appear and continue to offer warning, but you proceed ahead out of the grotto and find yourself in another time during the height of piracy in the Caribbean.

At the end of the attraction, as you ride the lift hill you're returning to the present (relative to the 19th century setting of New Orleans Square). The skeletal remains carrying a treasure chest that have been removed used to help sell this effect better.

WDW's version lacks this element of time travel. That doesn't make it inherently better or worse (I think the queue for Magic Kingdom's Pirates is quite spectacular) but it's wrong to dismiss Disneyland's as being ill-fitting.

• Minion

^I definitely love DL's Pirates and I get you for sure. But sometimes I think WDW's version's strengths get overlooked.

Not sure what your definition of a "big" drop is, but none of the drops on either the WDW or Disneyland version of Space Mountain would be considered "big" in my book. For that matter, I don't think any of the Disney parks have a ride with a legitimate "big" drop. Six Flags has the monopoly on that. The drops on the WDW version of Space Mountain are similar to the drops on the Matterhorn. For that matter, the ride experience on WDW's Space Mountain is similar as a whole as the Matterhorn...rough and jerky with some minor drops here and there. That simply doesn't compare to the smoother, faster experience on Disneyland's Space Mountain (which really feels like you're flying through space).

• Under that tree again!

In WDW you start in a Spanish Fort, which I've always felt feels far more civilized than the rest of Adventureland. It takes on a Frontier style. The queue is nice, but I'd hope so the wait is much worse.

At DLR you go into a fancy New Orleans storefront, load up on a dock, drift out of the Bayou and then out to sea.

• Minion

Not sure what your definition of a "big" drop is, but none of the drops on either the WDW or Disneyland version of Space Mountain would be considered "big" in my book. For that matter, I don't think any of the Disney parks have a ride with a legitimate "big" drop. Six Flags has the monopoly on that. The drops on the WDW version of Space Mountain are similar to the drops on the Matterhorn. For that matter, the ride experience on WDW's Space Mountain is similar as a whole as the Matterhorn...rough and jerky with some minor drops here and there. That simply doesn't compare to the smoother, faster experience on Disneyland's Space Mountain (which really feels like you're flying through space).
    Ok, I should say that compared to DL, they are really big lol. But it's your opinion you like the smoother and faster (by a few miles per hour) ride on Space Mountain, I just like my G-forces!

Although I'm not sure either roller coaster actually feels like you're flying through space, maybe a real astronaut could enlighten us on that matter...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In WDW you start in a Spanish Fort, which I've always felt feels far more civilized than the rest of Adventureland. It takes on a Frontier style. The queue is nice, but I'd hope so the wait is much worse.

At DLR you go into a fancy New Orleans storefront, load up on a dock, drift out of the Bayou and then out to sea.
    Right...Spanish fort vs storefront lol. I would think the Spanish fort is more associated with pirates.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I disagree that Blue Bayou is out of theme. I think the queue/load for Pirates at DL is perfectly effective in what it's trying to accomplish: essentially time-travel. You begin in 19th century New Orleans, riding a boat through the bayou at night. As you pass under the archway you see a ghostly skull offering warning about what lies ahead. You fall down a waterfall into a forgotten grotto littered with the skeletal remains of pirates from centuries before. Ghostly visions appear and continue to offer warning, but you proceed ahead out of the grotto and find yourself in another time during the height of piracy in the Caribbean.

At the end of the attraction, as you ride the lift hill you're returning to the present (relative to the 19th century setting of New Orleans Square). The skeletal remains carrying a treasure chest that have been removed used to help sell this effect better.

WDW's version lacks this element of time travel. That doesn't make it inherently better or worse (I think the queue for Magic Kingdom's Pirates is quite spectacular) but it's wrong to dismiss Disneyland's as being ill-fitting.
    This.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Under that tree again!

Right...Spanish fort vs storefront lol. I would think the Spanish fort is more associated with pirates.
    Have you ever been to Disneyland? By your statement you indicate you don't know what you are talking about.

•   
    • Minion

I know it's peoples opinions but I just can't see how anyone could find the WdW POTC to be better than the DL one. The setting of the attraction at DL is so immersive from the location of the attraction to the execution of it. To me the WdW version is so chopped up and forced. My opinion of course

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast