Plz help plan my one day in both parks

Hi Mouse Ears, I'm making my first memorable trip out to Disneyland (don't remember the one when I was 2.5) with my husband on Friday, 2/22, and I'm looking to make the most of one day in both parks. There really aren't that many rides I feel like I absolutely must do, but the ones in CA are more appealing to me. I was originally thinking of hitting DL first in the morning because CA has early admission, which we can't participate in, but I worry about the lines and lack of FPs if we don't go over to CA until later in the day.

I also want to try and do both WOC and Fantasmic. Most of my research so far suggests going to WOC first and Fantasmic second, which if we go to DL first would mean we would probably need to buy a picnic meal, since we would probably miss the chance to get a FP.

I also really want to get a pic with Mickey, and I've heard it's best to visit his house first thing in the morning.

Any experienced advice you can provide me?

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

Re: Plz help plan my one day in both parks

Quote Originally Posted by ShowGal View Post
    Hi Mouse Ears, I'm making my first memorable trip out to Disneyland (don't remember the one when I was 2.5) with my husband on Friday, 2/22, and I'm looking to make the most of one day in both parks. There really aren't that many rides I feel like I absolutely must do, but the ones in CA are more appealing to me. I was originally thinking of hitting DL first in the morning because CA has early admission, which we can't participate in, but I worry about the lines and lack of FPs if we don't go over to CA until later in the day.

I also want to try and do both WOC and Fantasmic. Most of my research so far suggests going to WOC first and Fantasmic second, which if we go to DL first would mean we would probably need to buy a picnic meal, since we would probably miss the chance to get a FP.

I also really want to get a pic with Mickey, and I've heard it's best to visit his house first thing in the morning.

Hmm... lemme see here...
    Not MUCH can be done in only a day at DL. Of course, it depends on wait times, what's going on in the parks and your priorities. I would hit Space Mountain EARLY because then it is going to be packed very soon. That is a must. Also, you can check out Indiana Jones earlier if you feel you would want to go on that because again, very busy ride even with a fastpass. As for the shows, if WoC is later than fantasmic, and you are still in DLR around when fantasmic may start (20-5 mins.), then just see fantasmic first. If you really want to see WoC, you have to get the mandatory FP ticket for it by the grizzly river-run ride. Any more questions or need more details, PM me. Hope this helps
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

Also, I am a DLR native, visit often and do my research.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

And do get the picnic meal IF your wallet can spit up the moolah needed for the show.

• Under that tree again!

I would highly suggest you go to DCA first, and get in the Radiator Springs Racers FP distribtution line. There will likely be a Rope Drop on that day in both park so you should be able to get into DCA a bit after 7:30am to get in the FP line. Then around 8:20 with your FP keep moving. Take great advantage of the slow times in the morning. You may want to right away grab a Soarin FP, which you can do.

Then run back over to DL and start there.

To get a lot done, use FP very well. You can get another every two hours.

WoC FPs won't run out until late afternoon at the earliest. So no rush picking them up. Do aim to get them earlier, maybe after RSR or Soarin, so you get the first show.

At the first show of WoC you may want to leave quickly and see the fireworks, they are a great show, and then go over to River's of America right after.

• Banned User

My recommendation would be to do only one park if you only have one day. Probably DCA since Big Thunder is down for refurb. You will have a more enjoyable day if you are not in a mad rush to do it all in one day. Then try to get back asap to do the other park, or better yet, do a 5-dayer!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyInBoise View Post
    My recommendation would be to do only one park if you only have one day. Probably DCA since Big Thunder is down for refurb. You will have a more enjoyable day if you are not in a mad rush to do it all in one day. Then try to get back asap to do the other park, or better yet, do a 5-dayer!
    I am going to second this thought. If it is your first trip in a long time, I would suggest sticking with one park you can really enjoy... and then just plan on coming back someother time in your lifetime

• New Mommy

As for Mickey, there are a lot of opportunities to see him - he's often out on Main Street and Buena Vista. If you don't happen to run into him there, you can always go to his house like you said, but you'll probably have a shorter wait catching him out in the parks. Good luck!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I think the first thing you need to determine is what kinds of rides are more important to you: classic rides or "E" ticket rides?

When it comes to Disneyland, I have managed to see most of the park in one day by hitting Space Mountain first, and working my way out of Tomorrow Land (Star Tours usually has shorter lines in the morning, and Buzz is always a quick hop-on after that) If you want to ride Peter Pan I would hightail it over there ASAP (maybe even make this your first ride of the day... or the very last) you can expect the wait for this ride to be at least 30 min. even when the park feels empty... but it's worth it! In terms of fantasy land my usual ride order (according to most efficient use of time) is Peter Pan, Dumbo, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Casey Jr., and Alice In Wonderland (Pinocchio, Snow White, and the Tea Cups are usually walk-ons that can be used as decent fillers)

I find that Pirates always has a short wait time, as well as Small World - so those become "filler" throughout the day. Depending on the weather, Splash Mountain can have relatively short wait times as well. I think the secret to making the most of your time is paying attention to how you use your Fastpasses. If you can, collect a FP for a ride, and then fill the time until your window opens up with other rides in that land... ie - get a splash mountain FP and then wait standby for Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Winnie the Pooh. Get a FP for Indiana Jones and then do Jungle Cruise and The Tiki Room (and don't forget to stop for a Doll Whip!)

As for wanting to see Fantasmic and WOC at the same time... I know FP for WOC are relatively easy to collect into the afternoon, so I wouldn't worry about this. I don't know what kind of a budget you are working with, but I would HIGHLY suggest getting the Fantasmic Dessert package, which guarantees you "special" sit-down accommodations, plus a lovely dessert box and beverages. The last time I was at DL we did this and it was SO GREAT! I think it was around $65 a person, but it really was worth it.

I have yet to experience the new DCA/Cars Land... it sounds like if you want to get a ride on RSR earlier in your day then you need to plan on being at DCA for rope drop so you can grab a FP. After securing your FP I would shoot over to the Pier and grab a FP for Screamin' and jump into the Toy Story Mania line. The only other ride that I have ever had trouble with in terms of wait times/ FP times was Soarin' - but the single rider line has always been good to me on that ride.

enjoy your one magic-filled day!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    As for Mickey, there are a lot of opportunities to see him - he's often out on Main Street and Buena Vista. If you don't happen to run into him there, you can always go to his house like you said, but you'll probably have a shorter wait catching him out in the parks. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip on Mickey! We ended up catching him and Minnie on the way out of the park on Main Street.

Also thanks everyone else for your tips. We had a great trip!

• The doctor is in

If you will only be in the parks one day I would suggest not even wasting your time waiting at Mickey's house. The wait is always longer than they say it will be and you waste a good chunk of the day when you could be doing other things that are better than standing in line just to see a character.

With only one day here is what I would suggest. Go to DCA first. Grab a FP for Radiator Springs Racers. After you have your FP in hand go grab a FP for Soarin' and then go grab a FP for the first showing of world of color. From there I would decide if you want to do some rides on Paradise Pier or do Tower of Terror. Then use you FP for Soarin' and maybe grab some early lunch/late breakfast. Hopefully by now your FP for Racers is valid and you can do that. Fill out any waiting time required for FPs by enjoying everything the park has to offer. By 1 or 2, whenever you are done with Racers I'd head over to Disneyland. Go straight to Adventureland and grab a FP for Indiana Jones. Then go and ride Pirates and HM. Both of those attractions never have super long lines. After riding those head back and Indiana Jones, from there head up to ToonTown and get in line for Mickeys House. Don't be intimidated if the posted time is 45 mins, that is usually only really a 20-30min wait. Then I would take some time to just enjoy the park and maybe get something eat. Hang around until it is time to head back to DCA for WOC. After WOC I would head straight to Disneyland and catch the fireworks as they go and head towards frontier land where they will hold you until the first showing of fantasmic! is cleared out. Then wait there for the second showing. After the show I'd check out fantasyland and maybe get on a few rides there, at this hour Snow White and Pinnochio won't have long waits. Then if you are feeling up to a late night I would get in line for Space Mountain just before closing. It may be a long wait but you get to spend some time in the park and when you leave it will be pretty much dead hope this idea helped out.

glad to know you had a great one day trip
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• New Mommy

Thanks for the tip on Mickey! We ended up catching him and Minnie on the way out of the park on Main Street.

Also thanks everyone else for your tips. We had a great trip!
    Oh yay I'm so glad I was able to help!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List