Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Peoplemover track

Tear them down. They are an eyesore, and have been ever since the ill-fated Rocket Rods left.

If anything were to come back on the track (and let's not bring back the Peoplemover please), it would have to comply with new safety regulations (emergency exits, etc). Not to mention the work that is needed on the track and structure just from the weather wear and tear it's had over the years, let alone fixing the damage the Rocket Rods created.

What they should do is get rid of them and put a re-themed Astro Orbiter back where it should belong. This would clear up congestion at the entrance of the land and also be more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageMouse View Post
    I agree! I think Disney needs to take a BOLD move here. The 1967 version of Tomorrowland was inspiring, partly due to all of the kinetic energy that flowed through the land. The PeopleMover was the circulatory system; now the circulation has been cut-off and the vitality has been drained.
    I always thought the Rocket Jets was the heart of TL and the Peoplemover was the veins.

They should tear down the old track and re build them and completely redo TL, including the building so the emergency and the widen track can be build.

I am hoping for PM 2.0, whatever that may be. Even a better RR, as long as there is a replacement. I won't accept nothing.

I know this topic comes up all the time because people are so passionate about it, but the Peoplemover isn't coming back. OSHA won't let it. Disney wouldn't spend the money to get it to OSHA standards. They would have to retrack the whole thing because it's still the RR track. It wasn't a popular ride when they closed it the first time. And so on and so forth.

I've actually asked 2 different Imagineers and they both said that they never see it coming back.

The only reason the track is still there is because there's no point spending money to remove it. If Tomorrowland does in fact get a nice refurb, I think that we could definitely see some of the track coming down. But the stretch that goes down the center of TL acts as a nice awning and don't hurt the theme. Realistically, I think that the portion by Autopia would be removed first if they do put something big over there. I don't think the track IN TL will go anywhere unless the load/unload station is ever removed or re-purposed (TL refurb?). But it's not coming back. It's just not.

tl:dr there's a .01% chance that the PM will ever come back. If you're so inclined to hold onto that .01% be my guest. I'd rather think ahead and wonder what else​ they could do in the area besides worry about the PM.

Oh and there's nothing of importance that is stored on the track. I believe they just leave stuff on the track, but nothing is really "stored" there as it's hard to get to.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't see "it" coming back but a lot of these "reasons" always ring bogus.

If roller coasters don't need double wide emergency paths next to the entire length of the attraction, when one per zone / vehicle allows everyone off the ride when it stops... OSHA standards can't be that impossible should Disney wish to build some kind of attraction up in the air above and around TL. Look at Knott's, it's all roller coasters on top of a theme park.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I think I read somewhere (don't remember where) tracks are structurally unstable? So yeah, I say tear them down!

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    I think I read somewhere (don't remember where) tracks are structurally unstable?
    Yea where/who said that. I think its time to see the source of that information.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Yea where/who said that. I think its time to see the source of that information.
    Although I don't have that source (nor am I claiming to have a source), it doesn't take a professional to understand that the tracks and structure are more than likely damaged/unsafe. The Rocket Rods themselves did enough damage, let alone the 0 maintenance it's received since they closed in 2001. Add the fact that it's outdoors where the weather is beating down on it 24/7 and there you have it.

One advantage of leaving the track (though its not beautiful) is it does provide shade as a short relief from the heat and sun during daytime hours. Removing it would make it a sea of concrete. Of course, they could put in some nice large shade trees...

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't see "it" coming back but a lot of these "reasons" always ring bogus.

If roller coasters don't need double wide emergency paths next to the entire length of the attraction, when one per zone / vehicle allows everyone off the ride when it stops... OSHA standards can't be that impossible should Disney wish to build some kind of attraction up in the air above and around TL. Look at Knott's, it's all roller coasters on top of a theme park.

depends on the type of ride, and when it was built. Some older rides are grandfathered in. If they would have never closed the peoplemover, it would be fine (according to OSHA)
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

I would love to see the people mover come back as upper level stroller parking.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    It was a while ago, but... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

So here it is. It was straight from Tony Baxter's mouth from a presentation he did at the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet.

Here's a quote from Melonballer who was at that presentation:

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer
    The Peoplemover.
    He said that it will not be back in ANY form and asked us to get this information out there. There are a couple reasons why.
    1. The track has badly deteriorated in several spots.
    2. OSHA regulations would require a TON of changes. First they would have to add railings to the entire track. Second they would have to add stairways and other means to get down all along the track in case of evacuation. Third they would need to enclose the track so that people could not reach out to touch the side of the buildings as you travel along the track.

Tony said that they have tired many different ideas to try to get a ride that worked there, but nothing really worked. He really wants it there. Unfortunately, no one thought to ask when is the track was going to come down.
    Source: People mover not coming back, Subs staying?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer
    The Peoplemover.
    He said that it will not be back in ANY form and asked us to get this information out there. There are a couple reasons why.
    1. The track has badly deteriorated in several spots.
    2. OSHA regulations would require a TON of changes. First they would have to add railings to the entire track. Second they would have to add stairways and other means to get down all along the track in case of evacuation. Third they would need to enclose the track so that people could not reach out to touch the side of the buildings as you travel along the track.

Tony said that they have tired many different ideas to try to get a ride that worked there, but nothing really worked. He really wants it there. Unfortunately, no one thought to ask when is the track was going to come down.
    Man, it's crazy that those exact points have been said here every time this topic gets brought up!

• Suspended

Tony Baxter said that they are going to tear them down because the tracks are too unstable for even a fat man jumping on them, since the Rocket Rods completely tore them apart. So in a hopefully upcoming Tomorrowland refurbishment, the tracks will be removed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    I heard OSHA won't let them bring back either ride without widening the track
    Anything they put back on the track wouldn't be grandfathered in, and the People Mover was one of the deadliest attractions because guests thought it was safe, given how slow it was, and they'd get out of the cars and get caught underneath them and be killed.

I think that the Star War acquisition has changed plans for Tomorrowland, and the People Mover certainly could come back if they used ride vehicles which prevented touching the sides of the wall.

There are plans for a Couruscant speeder ride which utilizes a ride vehicle which has lap bars, and which has "windows" on the sides so you can't really touch anything, (but open on the top). Supposedly, it would utilize the old People Mover load area by converting it into a space port that the speeders zip around, and some of the people mover track for flying above Tomorrowland, and a good part of Innoventions would be the "fast" part of the ride with some mild thrills, (recreation of a part of that futuristic capitol city from Star Wars which would look different during the daytime and night time outside the ride, maybe a Disney first).

Something like this, but with lap-bars and seating for six, plus side windows that go up around it:

Name:  AF-Anakins-Speeder_lg.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  26.2 KB

Iron Man is cool, but maybe they want to put their $$ with Star Wars and the upcoming films . . .

• HYDRA

That would be cool if they did make a star wars themed vehicle
    i remember hearing they wanted to make an incredibles ride on the track
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast