Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Peoplemover track

I would like a Star Wars ride as a replacement!

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Just a program note: Autopia and Monorail are both going down for referbishement on Feb 26-28...Either Monorail is getting some work down or People Mover is, either way they would not have to close Autopia if it was a Station work or paint job to the track.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

When people say "the tracks are coming down because the tracks were damaged by RR", do they mean the tracks on top of the PM viaduct or do they mean the entire structure, including the support columns?

If the actual structure is damaged, you'd think it would be down already.
    Last edited by Mojave; 02-17-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    When people say "the tracks are coming down because the tracks were damaged by RR", do they mean the tracks on top of the PM viaduct or do they mean the entire structure, including the support columns?

If the actual actual structure is damaged, you'd think it would be down already.
    Yeah... I'd imagine that if the track was THAT bad off you'd think they'd wanna remove it as a safety precaution. I can't imagine a chunk of track falling into Autopia would look good on the evening news.

And Disney's shown us they're not afraid of spending money when they have to ($1Bil DCA makeover) so I think it'll come down to if they WANT to spend money to put something where the PM was. At any rate, the replacement attraction could probably be built for a small portion of the cost of what Disney's done with other projects. There's been Incredibles, Wall-E,Tron, and Star Wars ideas tossed around by the fans - don't tell me the Imagineers haven't thought of similar ideas. They're the best in the business when you let them work their magic.

So the PM isn't coming back. Fine. But don't leave the tracks there - it's a tease and an eyesore, and underutilized real estate in a land that can ill afford it.

Disney - DO SOMETHING!! PLEASE!! The TL refurb can't get here soon enough. There's a fair amount of projects going on right now... I would think that they'd wait until those were completed. I'd like to see them start work after BTMRR gets its refurb done.

Originally Posted by Melonballer
    The Peoplemover.
    He said that it will not be back in ANY form and asked us to get this information out there. There are a couple reasons why.
    1. The track has badly deteriorated in several spots.
    2. OSHA regulations would require a TON of changes. First they would have to add railings to the entire track. Second they would have to add stairways and other means to get down all along the track in case of evacuation. Third they would need to enclose the track so that people could not reach out to touch the side of the buildings as you travel along the track.

Tony said that they have tired many different ideas to try to get a ride that worked there, but nothing really worked. He really wants it there. Unfortunately, no one thought to ask when is the track was going to come down.
    Is it the same if the ride has a roller coaster type track? For evacuation, how is it different compared to Screamin', does it have railing, stairways and exits?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I say if its a railing problem than they can do something (more weather proof though) like whats inside Buzz Astro Blasters. When Buzz goes down or when the attraction is stoped the railing rises up from the floor the occurs to not block the show sceens which are most of time in pits around the track. Why can't they install railing on the outside that rises up when ever a human is on the track/ the ride system is stoped?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

I've been in engineering for about 10 years and I can tell you that there will never be a ride on the "original" people mover track. I'm trying to emphasize original. It is beyond unsafe. The whole structure, track and pillars, would have to be torn down to the ground and rebuilt for any ride or walkway to be used up there.
    There hasn't been any daily maintenance or inspections, that OSHA would require, for over a decade. With that being said, the weather has affected the structural integrity over time and with all the new updated OSHA standards that would have to be met, would make it impossible to use. Railings, emergency exits, new earthquake standards, ect, ect..... No money would ever make it safe to use again without a complete tear down. This is one of those instances where even billions of dollars wouldnt make it safe. OSHA would require it to be rebuilt ground up.
    Now all that being said, its structurally fine for now, for just being used for shade But eventually, it will come down.
    Disney could tear it down and then rebuild it for another ride of some sort in the the future, but it'll be at great costs. Unfortunately with today's safety standards and hoops you have to jump through, rides like a people mover or any over head rides for that matter, make it tough to build without dumping lots of money and resources to make it safe and fun without the safety guards making it an eyesore, if you will, ruining the effects that Disney likes to use to make believable rides. Can't say it will never be done, just saying its very unlikely. So sorry to burst the bubble of the people mover lover such as myself, its just not possible.

• Hooterville, USA

If they can rebuild DCA, then another PM is not out of the question.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by bheuett View Post
    I've been in engineering for about 10 years and I can tell you that there will never be a ride on the "original" people mover track. I'm trying to emphasize original. It is beyond unsafe. The whole structure, track and pillars, would have to be torn down to the ground and rebuilt for any ride or walkway to be used up there.
    There hasn't been any daily maintenance or inspections, that OSHA would require, for over a decade. With that being said, the weather has affected the structural integrity over time and with all the new updated OSHA standards that would have to be met, would make it impossible to use. Railings, emergency exits, new earthquake standards, ect, ect..... No money would ever make it safe to use again without a complete tear down. This is one of those instances where even billions of dollars wouldnt make it safe. OSHA would require it to be rebuilt ground up.
    Now all that being said, its structurally fine for now, for just being used for shade But eventually, it will come down.
    Disney could tear it down and then rebuild it for another ride of some sort in the the future, but it'll be at great costs. Unfortunately with today's safety standards and hoops you have to jump through, rides like a people mover or any over head rides for that matter, make it tough to build without dumping lots of money and resources to make it safe and fun without the safety guards making it an eyesore, if you will, ruining the effects that Disney likes to use to make believable rides. Can't say it will never be done, just saying its very unlikely. So sorry to burst the bubble of the people mover lover such as myself, its just not possible.
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    If they can rebuild DCA, then another PM is not out of the question.
    Adding a whole other land (Cars Land) with multiple rides is a good investment. To spend a unfathomable amount of money to tear down what remains of the people mover, just to build it again to current day specs is a bad investment that will never pay off. You won't get the crowds that cars land draws, just to ride people mover. Sorry

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

IF PM was to come back it would have to be totally enclosed. Sounds like a bit of a headache to enclose the vehicles and it work with air circulation in them. They could have grandfathered PM back had they not installed Rocket Rods.

I really hope they do something with it and bring it back as it adds a second level to Tomorrowland (which is sorely needed). I just don't think it'll happen or work the way we want it to be.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    IF PM was to come back it would have to be totally enclosed. Sounds like a bit of a headache to enclose the vehicles and it work with air circulation in them. They could have grandfathered PM back had they not installed Rocket Rods.

I really hope they do something with it and bring it back as it adds a second level to Tomorrowland (which is sorely needed). I just don't think it'll happen or work the way we want it to be.
    The whole thing would be a headache, no matter what they decide to do with it other than tearing it down.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    The whole thing would be a headache, no matter what they decide to do with it other than tearing it down.
    Even that would be its own sort of headache, which is why Disney hasn't already done it.

• Mmmm...

A cast member working on one of the Main Street vehicles told me in 2003 that there were definite plans to bring back the Peoplemover. Therefore, it must be a sure thing.

Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Even that would be its own sort of headache, which is why Disney hasn't already done it.
    Well I'm sure they are waiting until Tomorrowland gets it's overhaul to do anything as major as removing that track.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast