Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I really hope they do something with it and bring it back as it adds a second level to Tomorrowland (which is sorely needed). I just don't think it'll happen or work the way we want it to be.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally about there needing a 2nd level. I believe if it ever came back, it would have to be on something more structurally sound like roller coaster tracks that has giving shock joints.
    I thought a cool roller coaster ride that involved a Star Wars vehicle would be cool instead of the people mover. But people mover fans won't like that idea haha

• Artistic integrity

Re: Peoplemover track

May I make a suggestion to every poster .. every reader of this topic, who want to see something ride second level around TL again?

Write a letter to the new president of DL.

Make your wish be known. Inundate him with letters! The more the better !!!!

Don't submit an IDEA. That will be the death of your letter. It will come back to you like a boomerang so fast .... you won't know what hit you.

These should be your bullet points in your letter:

* I wish to see something like the Peoplemover again, in Tomorrowland.

* The land badly needs KINETICS - Which is an invaluable theme element the land is currently missing.

* A ride that circles the land, coming in and out of the buildings ... is like a "living" land ... with one singular body .. and a system of "arteries" ... with "blood" flowing through ... going inside buildings .. coming outside of buildings. If that does not sound "out of this world" and "futuristic" ... then nothing is.

* The beauty of a revitalized Tomorrowland is one that is "2nd level" or more ... with these "overhead" icons flying over our heads.

* Whatever overall plan there is for Tomorrowland, please don't let it be a land completely devoid of any overhead ride that circles the land ... in the same way the 1967 Peoplemover did. A land that compromises of free-standing structures with nothing connecting them all ... is as thrilling as a modern day mall. Please don't that come to be.

So .. fans ............ put the word out. Write your letters .....

And if you do not ...

then count on the next Tomorrowland revamp ... to look like a modern day mall !!

The choice is yours ................

You can have something like this.................

A concrete sprawl .. with stand-alone structures. (Basically - a very 20th-Century-city layout!)

Or something like this again............. A land that detaches itself from 20th Century city values!

GET BUSY!

• Under that tree again!

So write a letter without submitting an Idea, but list a bunch of ideas?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Artistic integrity

I didn't list any IDEA. I only reiterate the basic premise of the '67 P.M.

What I"m trying to say .... Don't write - "I've got an IDEA ......"

As I said ..... Keep it general ....... Something that circles the land, and rides "second level" .. LIKE THE P.M. did.

That's not making any specific idea. That's remaining ambiguous. Your wish is that they don't tear it out .. and replace it with nothing. Key word - stay away from being TOO SPECIFIC.

Don't write ..... "I've got an IDEA for a ride of my own design"........ Don't write .."How about a ride that looks like this (picture inserted)" ... or someone else's idea. Or past ideas we've heard from imagineering ... from Star Wars speeder bikes .. to Incredible Pods .. or Tron Light Cycles.

This is simple -

Dear Disneyland President .......... Please don't let a future Tomorrowland remodel be without replacing the Peoplemover track with a new ride. Please tell imagineering to come up with a plan that involves a new ride that replaces the Peoplemover."
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-19-2013 at 09:44 PM.

• Artistic integrity

I'd like to make a point to everybody:

Since Rocket Rods shuttered permanently (Sept 2000) .... I've been hoping .. and nearly praying that Disney did something with that track. My wish has been for a fresh new design .. based on the '67 Peoplemover. I now know that (thanks to OSHA) that will never happen. Then I wished for a semi specific idea .... for something that rides the same path (maybe not the same exact track) ... but at a nice leisurely "bring the whole family on" speed. Now .... I'm down to just asking - Please do SOMETHING. Something that at least circles most of the land. And that it rides above us. And can give the land some kinetics. And I think the rest of us need to do the same. Just ask for SOMETHING. And not get specific.

I'd much rather have a Peoplemover 2.0 ............ But at this stage ... I'm happy that they do SOMETHING ... rather than nothing ..... and currently .... the going rumor is ... they WILL do nothing! Come next major refurb to the land - a static land ... like it was pre 1966!

I don't want to see that happen. That will just break my heart. I'm not for something that will ride "rollercoaster" speeds ... but lets just say ... that's what they have in mind - I'LL TAKE IT!

And finally ... funny how Cal/OSHA would have grandfathered the Peoplemover into this day, had it never shut down. So it's funny how a paper-work "loophole" would have kept it open - no problem. Yet, on another level ... Say - "NO".

Sounds fishy, and political to me.

Which makes me think .... something could be done. And that we are all lead to believe a load of half-truths. And not given the ENTIRE picture.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I'd like to make a point to everybody:

And finally ... funny how Cal/OSHA would have grandfathered the Peoplemover into this day, had it never shut down. So it's funny how a paper-work "loophole" would have kept it open - no problem. Yet, on another level ... Say - "NO".

Sounds fishy, and political to me.
    First off, a second level could be done, if done correctly. It would have some higher costs, but could be done. Your talking tear down and rebuilding ground up. Not just outside pieces, but the parts that wind around on the inside too. Not with that being said, that opens the door to all new possibilities. A new winding path for tracks. Hill portions and spirals and it could go anywhere. It makes it exciting to think what they "could" do with PM 2.0.
    Second, in my experience and my opinion, the people mover wouldn't have been grand fathered in. Its because of neglect that it has to come down. If they would have stayed on top of maintenance and refurbishments, like every other ride, it would have been updated and reinforced and still usable. There for not grandfathered, just refurbished.
    Like I said earlier though, an old PM track limits what could have been done. A new PM track opens a whole new world of possibilities. Just takes a ton of money, which Disney has, but are they willing to but that kind of money and resources into just one attraction. Your also talking about closing down big rides and portions of Tomorrowland to do it right. Not going to happen unless the entire land goes down for a refurb. Maybe a new land, not just one ride.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by bheuett View Post
    A new PM track opens a whole new world of possibilities. Just takes a ton of money, which Disney has, but are they willing to put that kind of money and resources into just one attraction. Your also talking about closing down big rides and portions of Tomorrowland to do it right. Not going to happen unless the entire land goes down for a refurb. Maybe a new land, not just one ride.
    Per Al Lutz:

The plans to put on hold this winter’s closure and repurposing of the Innoventions building, the attraction that everyone loves to hate, aren’t as dire as they sound though. There’s a realization that as DCA’s attendance grew by over three million new visitors in 2012, with Cars Land only open for half of that year and sucking over a million away from Disneyland, that Disneyland needs more than just new parades and one-off attraction additions in the next ten years. The executive team is recalibrating when the big money gets spent in Walt Disney’s original magic kingdom and is pooling their resources to go after a big Tomorrowland overhaul that would open all at once in a grand Cars Land type reveal, rather than in bits and pieces over several years like the New Fantasyland project in WDW has been doing.
    So ... what that above paragraph seems to allude to ..... Whatever new grand scheme executives were looking at for Tomorrowland for the last several years ... that they were only ever going to go through with it in PIECE MEAL. I can tell you all ... that's exactly how they were going to go about TOMORROWLAND:2055 .. back in the early 90s. It would have been done in 3 phases .... starting construction in January 1992 .... finishing with Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue in MID 1995.

Your talking tear down and rebuilding ground up. Not just outside pieces, but the parts that wind around on the inside too.
    If the Walt Disney Co's intent was to continue recycling the old 1967 and 1977 buildings from here to eternity ... then yes. It does not sound too logical to try to fit a square peg (new Peoplemover type experience - per Cal/OSHA) .. into the round hole - old 1967 Tomorrowland infrastructure.

But if the land EVER gets the refurb it's been needing for so long now ... then some real re-construction could make way for a layout ... that could fit that round peg (PM 2.0 - or something else) ... into that round hole - New TL.

It's been suggested that Innoventions and what's behind it ... would be bulldozed - in past rumors. My guess is you can included the Mission To Mars/Redd Rockets Pizza Port building (which dates back to 1966) into the list for demolition. If you look around the land .... the rest of it .. dates back to 1966 as well ... and 1977. Just how much more can they just keep re-blinging the exteriors of these old structures for "New Tomorrowlands"? They did it 1998 .. again in 2005. Whenever that supposed remodel of the land comes .... my bet is they will FINALLY do some demolition to make new things ... rather than keep forcing new attractions into existing structures ... getting older every time - And still showing their age .. no matter how much reblinging they try to apply.

This Blue Sky artwork seems to suggest .. demolition to many structures ... leaving Space Mountain alone .....

A little clearer ................

And surely people recognize these images ...as part of a BLUE SKY discussion ... at a past D23 event, with imagineering artist - Scot Drake

So ... like the rest of you all .... I'm just trying to keep my hopes up. And hope for that future remodel of the land, which will include a replacement to the Peoplemover.

OH .. and one last thing - If you all haven't visited Scot Drake's website ... you should! It's pretty cool! Check out his gallery!

http://scotdrake.com/
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 02-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Agree with your post Tomorrowland_1967. It is time to completely start new with a new layout and buildings. IMO, I would tear down the structures from the first part of Star Tour queue all the way to Autopia, excluding Space Mt of course,and construct new buildings. Expand behind what is now Innovention and Grand Canyon. BLAB, Star Tour and TL Terrance can get a rework exterior or just redo the building. Since there is a lot of re-construction for the buildings, a replacement for the PM, along with all the requirement due to Cal/OSHA, can be built. All the pathways, exits, whatever, will be incorporated into the structure and exterior as theming.

Innovention, RRPP, EO, Starcade, Star Trader, maybe even TL Terrance and BLAB, will be replaced by new attractions , stores,and restaurants. Astro Orbitor returns to the tower and a replacement for PM may be considered "returning things from the past" but they definitely need to be upgraded with a new theme.

The TL redo will cost alot but it should make up for the '98 redo and hopefully last a long time.
    Last edited by mondo; 02-20-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Cretan

I keep hearing from some "experts" around here that "no maintenance" has been performed on the tracks and that if even a "fat man" jumped on them they would collapse. Now do you think they would allow you people to walk underneath them day after day if they were so frail? Do you think the Cal OSHA that so many of you refer to would allow that? Please.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    I keep hearing from some "experts" around here that "no maintenance" has been performed on the tracks and that if even a "fat man" jumped on them they would collapse. Now do you think they would allow you people to walk underneath them day after day if they were so frail? Do you think the Cal OSHA that so many of you refer to would allow that? Please.
    No one here is an expert, or is claiming to be. The tracks have had no maintenance because there is nothing to maintain. No reason to spend money on something that isn't making money, it's as simple as that. Personally, I've never heard of anyone making the claim that they would collapse if someone jumped on them but this is the Internet so it's possible you heard that.

However if something were to ever appear on those tracks again (which seems highly unlikely at this point) the whole track would need to be reinforced because in it's state right now, you couldn't just throw an attraction up there and let it be. It may not collapse, but surely it wouldn't be safe.

• Closed Account

Inside the PEOPLEMOVER station's elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    No one here is an expert, or is claiming to be. The tracks have had no maintenance because there is nothing to maintain. No reason to spend money on something that isn't making money, it's as simple as that. Personally, I've never heard of anyone making the claim that they would collapse if someone jumped on them but this is the Internet so it's possible you heard that.

However if something were to ever appear on those tracks again (which seems highly unlikely at this point) the whole track would need to be reinforced because in it's state right now, you couldn't just throw an attraction up there and let it be. It may not collapse, but surely it wouldn't be safe.
    Explodingboy, I will not let your comments explode the PeopleMover's former tracks. Now that Tony Bax has quit, we can easily convince the new VP of Disneyland's imagineering to give it one more go. What the young guests at Tomorrowland want is a faster version of the PM, and if they make a new PM that is slightly faster, features exciting new parts (Maybe the Tomorrowland Spaceport (Star Tours) could advertise the PM 2.0 as a transportation for shuttling people from the port to the heart of tomorrowland, or something along those lines), and provides nostalgia to older guests as well as a look to the future. If tying in WALL-E at one part of the ride makes it more marketable for Disney, then so be it. But I am pretty sure GOODYEAR would not skip out on something like this.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...overPoster.jpg
    ...And may PEOPLEMOVER return in the new TOMORROWLAND!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-04-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Hotlinked image

• Closed Account

Inside the PEOPLEMOVER station's elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by PEOPLEMOVED View Post
    Explodingboy, I will not let your comments explode the PeopleMover's former tracks. Now that Tony Bax has quit, we can easily convince the new VP of Disneyland's imagineering to give it one more go. What the young guests at Tomorrowland want is a faster version of the PM, and if they make a new PM that is slightly faster, features exciting new parts (Maybe the Tomorrowland Spaceport (Star Tours) could advertise the PM 2.0 as a transportation for shuttling people from the port to the heart of tomorrowland, or something along those lines), and provides nostalgia to older guests as well as a look to the future. If tying in WALL-E at one part of the ride makes it more marketable for Disney, then so be it. But I am pretty sure GOODYEAR would not skip out on something like this.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...overPoster.jpg
    With that being said, it seems that the scenario of its magical return is becoming less unlikely thanks to the departure of negative minded Baxter and the temporary closing of the Monorail, as well as the Autopia. Since the track of the Peoplemover is next to that of the Monorail near the station, this could be Disney secretly planning a reopening of you-know-what (of course, I don't want I jinx it).
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.

• Parking Lot > DCA

With that being said, it seems that the scenario of its magical return is becoming less unlikely thanks to the departure of negative minded Baxter and the temporary closing of the Monorail, as well as the Autopia. Since the track of the Peoplemover is next to that of the Monorail near the station, this could be Disney secretly planning a reopening of you-know-what (of course, I don't want I jinx it).
    You're entitled to your opinion. I am looking at this from a realistic standpoint. It's not about Tony Baxter being "negative" or "convincing the new VP" of anything.

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, they should remove the track if they are not going to use it. However, in my opinion, I think the track should be used for a new attraction. The only problem is that new atracations, such as Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours, they might havde used the room for the original track.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Minion

I'm pretty sure they had Storm Troopers up there when Star Tours was relaunched? If can't be that unsafe if they had cast members walking up there.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast