Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Closed Account

Inside the PEOPLEMOVER station's elevator.

Re: Peoplemover track

One other thing, explodingboy, this isn't <- WHACK-A-'MOVER, and if it was, I would tell you . Now, if you want evidence like Kim's from Disney themselves, go with Tomorrowland_1967's idea, and contact the president, or send a friendly letter.

And in case you're wondering, Whack-a-Mover is a game played by Imagineers where there are two teams, one that wants the track to be removed, and the other wants the Peoplemover to return...
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-04-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Quoted hotlinked image

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    They need to replace the Peoplemover track, not bulldoze/get rid of it. It adds a necessary sense of a verticality to the land. I say they take down the current concrete/plaster beams and track and replace it with a hybrid of tubular steel and metallic textures that happens to coincide with OSHA's latest regulations.

Then just replace it with, wait for it, the Peoplemover. Not the Rocket-rods; not some ill-working, overly-complex thrill-ride that breaks down every 45 minutes. Just make the old Peoplemover with new technology and new visual design. Make a high-capacity, slow-moving omni-mover ride that takes you on a tour of Tomorrowland. That's what made the Peoplemover (and the TTA) so great. It's a comfortable, simple, relaxing ride.
    This. A thousand times, this!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PEOPLEMOVED View Post
    Now that Tony Bax has quit, we can easily convince the new VP of Disneyland's imagineering to give it one more go.
    I'm sorry to say this, but... no, we can't. WDI doesn't work that way. And it especially doesn't work that way in the case of Disneyland's PeopleMover.

...have you forgotten 1967, when the fabulous Peoplemover opened, and people trusted WED Enterprises, now the WD Imagineering, because they perfected Tomorrowland, and showed to their well-dressed guests the potential of the land.
    I'm sorry to say this, too, but today's WDI has nothing in common with the WED that created Tomorrowland '67. Not top Disney Company leadership, not department management, not talent pool, not philosophy, not vision. And especially, based on their work of the last 20 years at Disneyland, not the well earned trust that people had for WED.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

I couldn't figure out why the Tomorrowlanding Shop would be reconstructed so soon, when it was just done a few years ago. So ... I had to do a little searching.

Peoplemoved ... you told us you took this picture:

That's a photo of the Tomorrowlanding's construction - dated September 2006.

http://tinyurl.com/d56prde

Why would you tell us you took that photo?

The only refurb/construction projects going on around DL are: It's A Small World, Fantasy Faire Meet & Greet, and Big Thunder Mtn. Railroad.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.

• Closed Account

I took a photo like it, although I couldn't fit it on due to size restrictions on MC. Currently, it looks somewhat like it, although they haven't redone the exterior. I apologize for any mixup, as I, too used that picture as an alternative.

• Closed Account

Wink Re: Peoplemover track

I did take THIS photo, however, which was two days before it's construction:

Name:  RSCN0868.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  142.0 KB Nevertheless, Rest In Peace TomorrowLanding, no one will miss you.
    Last edited by PEOPLEMOVED; 03-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.

• Nic

100 million, as some estimated a new PeopleMover/upgraded PeopleMover would cost, seems like a lot for a transportation ride. Indiana Jones was estimated to cost 100 million. I don't see the logic to spend that money creating a new PeopleMover/upgrading the PeopleMover, when the money could be better spent generally beautifying Tomorrowland, or creating a spectacular new E-Ticket.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    100 million, as some estimated a new PeopleMover/upgraded PeopleMover would cost, seems like a lot for a transportation ride. Indiana Jones was estimated to cost 100 million. I don't see the logic to spend that money creating a new PeopleMover/upgrading the PeopleMover, when the money could be better spent generally beautifying Tomorrowland, or creating a spectacular new E-Ticket.
    Hey, let's not forget that Goodyear sponsorship still on hold. That would split the cost, and Disney could spend the money they save on a Peoplemover station between Space Mountain and Star Tours!

• Parking Lot > DCA

One other thing, explodingboy, this isn't <- WHACK-A-'MOVER, and if it was, I would tell you . Now, if you want evidence like Kim's from Disney themselves, go with Tomorrowland_1967's idea, and contact the president, or send a friendly letter.

And in case you're wondering, Whack-a-Mover is a game played by Imagineers where there are two teams, one that wants the track to be removed, and the other wants the Peoplemover to return...
    Not sending a letter that's bound to get an automated response. And just for the record, I'm not in here saying the Peoplemover will never return. That claim is just as bad as claiming it's coming back. However, the odds are stacked against it's return and I hope that I've made my point somewhat clear.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    And just for the record, I'm not in here saying the Peoplemover will never return. That claim is just as bad as claiming it's coming back. However, the odds are stacked against it's return and I hope that I've made my point somewhat clear.
    No, it isn't coming back. Period. Money just needs to be budgeted and allocated for track deconstruction.

• World of Color

I've never experienced the peoplemover because I wasn't born until 1995 but it seems like a interesting ride. I hope it comes back but after all of these years I won;t put my hopes up. And why would they build a station in stars tours if it just came back from a big refurb. I dont think Disney would close Stars Tours for a extended period time again for a while.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Not sending a letter that's bound to get an automated response.
    Then your only intent is that you get a personalized response?

I’m not doing that. Nor should anyone have that expectation.

The point is for them to get a continuing show of support for the attraction. This is basically a PETITION. In petitions … there’s no “two-way response” expectation. You just want to get this into their ear. The more letters that stack up on someone’s desk – The more it will get their ATTENTION.

I’m not selfishly looking for a hand-written response, LOL. If I get any response ... let it be an automated response. I won’t care. My only concern is that they receive a letter from me saying – I want the return of the Peoplemover in some new fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    No, it isn't coming back. Period. Money just needs to be budgeted and allocated for track deconstruction.
    That’s assuming the “1967” infrastructure stays for eternity! We don’t know that. The 1967 Tomorrowland was recycled for Tomorrowland:98 … and then again …. in the paint refurb … the land received in 2005. Now we just assume, and are use to Disney recycling the same old 1967 buildings for basically, forever. So whatever new projects come along .. means .. they HAVE to FIT into this 45 year old land, and it's 45 year old buildings, and layout? And what about the long rumored remodel of the land? Wouldn’t that address aging structures … that are making things more difficult than easier for some ideas that Imagineering would like to put through … that the 1967 TL infrastructure is making impossible???

Sorry … We assume a lot. And we really know little. I mean no disrespect to those around who have their “contacts” within WDI … But it seems even those higher ups .. that some of us may know .. don’t know themselves what’s going on … because things constantly change. What does seem obvious to me … is a tug-of-war … of various factions within the co. And a lot has happened. Tony Baxter is now a consultant. What will that mean for Tomorrowland, if anything? Particularly his plan that was pitched just 3 years ago. What about John Lassetter’s role within the co. .. and Iger due to step down in 2015 or sooner? Seems there’s plenty of “fluctuations” going on ……. ANYTHING can happen. True .. the worst can happen. Or things can change for the better!

So, we can be the most pessimistic, and think nothing good will ever come of a future remodeled Tomorrowland that includes a replacement to the Peoplemover … And not bother with showing any support by writing a petition/letter …….. OR…..

Some of us can try ….. That is … if anyone cares.

I care! And I want to make a difference .. and show support.

And I can only hope others follow.

• Artistic integrity

Hey, let's not forget that Goodyear sponsorship still on hold. That would split the cost, and Disney could spend the money they save on a Peoplemover station between Space Mountain and Star Tours!
    Peoplemoved .. I have no idea where you are getting this idea that Goodyear would come back as a sponsor. You do realize that the old conveyance system the Peoplemover used (Goodyear tires, planted into the 4,000 foot track) is obsolete by today’s standards. They would never go back to that system. Just a few years after the ’67 Peoplemover debuted in Disneyland … WDW’s was quickly being designed with linear synchronous motors. (Magnets). Now … 40 years later … I wouldn’t doubt other, more high tech, methods of conveyance have been invented. And if we ever get to see something grace the rooftops of Tomorrowland ever again …. I’m sure it’s going to be something much more advanced than rubber tires.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Peoplemoved .. I have no idea where you are getting this idea that Goodyear would come back as a sponsor. You do realize that the old conveyance system the Peoplemover used (Goodyear tires, planted into the 4,000 foot track) is obsolete by today’s standards. They would never go back to that system. Just a few years after the ’67 Peoplemover debuted in Disneyland … WDW’s was quickly being designed with linear synchronous motors. (Magnets). Now … 40 years later … I wouldn’t doubt other, more high tech, methods of conveyance have been invented. And if we ever get to see something grace the rooftops of Tomorrowland ever again …. I’m sure it’s going to be something much more advanced than rubber tires.
    *SNIFF, you are so true! But... Disney's not going with a rental car sponsorship for DL's Peoplemover, even if it was to return. Would GE work? Start pitching sponsors!

• Closed Account

Exclamation Re: Peoplemover track

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I’m not selfishly looking for a hand-written response, LOL. If I get any response ... let it be an automated response. I won’t care. My only concern is that they receive a letter from me saying – I want the return of the Peoplemover in some new fashion.
    WHAT? I just sent them an email saying those exact words – I want the return of the Peoplemover in some new fashion. What will happen now?
    Last edited by PEOPLEMOVED; 03-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast