Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Are The Princess Hair/Dress Makeovers Going To Be Permanent?

One by one the Princesses are going to get new hair and dresses, making them look nothing like their movie characters. So far Cinderella and Belle have bit the dust. Does anyone know if this is just for Limited Time Magic, or will the horror be permanent?

• a damsel not in distress

Re: Are The Princess Hair/Dress Makeovers Going To Be Permanent?

i'm pretty sure it's a permanent change to reflect the "disney princess" marketing princesses rather than the movie princesses. by changing them and giving them certain details that make them more similar to one another, like sparkly dresses (the drawing versions even have similar eyes and facial features to one another), they make them more of a group rather than individuals, which is unfortunate. it's kind of becoming a barbie phenomenon to me; they have certain unique features, but are overall made from the same mold.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Selfie Expert

I rather like the new dresses so far, but that's neither here nor there. I'm guessing they're permanent, as they update all the characters periodically.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. They gave Cinderella bangs and gave Belle longer hair. Hardly a "horror" if you ask me.

• a damsel not in distress

i don't think the representation of the princesses in the park is too bad, but i don't like the new character designs they have of the princesses for the merchandise. i mean look at pocahontas and mulan!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• -

I hope the new look is permanent. I like it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    i don't think the representation of the princesses in the park is too bad, but i don't like the new character designs they have of the princesses for the merchandise. i mean look at pocahontas and mulan!

Seriously. I actually like most portions of the new designs for Cinderella and Belle, especially how their new attire looks less costumey and more like actual ball gowns. I don't like some aspects, like how Belle's new hair actually looks less accurate than her previous style, however, I don't the mistakes are anything atrocious.

But the picture of the group above and how they market the Disney princess franchise makes me sick to my stomach.

• No Disassemble!

If it means that they're going to have to re-record & pretty-up those awful dial a date looking princess bedtime stories that they show at all the resort hotels and give my 5 year old daughter the creeps then I'm all for the new look!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Queen Elsa

Looks like the change Jasmine's look again the one I saw of her new look didn't look like that her top was more like how Silvermist has her dress with the strap on one side of her arm which I didn't like. This is the first time seeing Pocahontas and Mulan with new looks. I though there's wasn't change and I don't like there new looks. So far the only ones I like of there new looks are Aurora,Ariel and Belle and from in the park between Cinderella & Belle. I like Belle's alot better then Cinderella's. I do wish they add something thou to Belle's hair there is something missing from it that it doesn't look right.

• Queen Elsa

Oh and yes there new looks are Permanent.

• Shablagoo!

Well permanent until they decide to change them again. Like everything else at some point they will change the look. Maybe a year from now, maybe ten. But it will change. And I would not be surprised to see the princesses change to something more like their film looks at some point.

But short term, no. I would expect this to last at least a year or 2. Hmm. What is in a couple years that might cause more nostalgia based changes to happen? lol.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 02-13-2013 at 02:56 AM.

I actually like them. The changes aren't terribly drastic, they still look like the princesses I love. It just looks like they got new dresses (which princesses are allowed to do) and curled their hair. I think they are pretty.

The only thing I don't like is that Rapunzel still has long blonde hair...

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffibell View Post
    The only thing I don't like is that Rapunzel still has long blonde hair...
    Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see Rapunzel with brunette hair in the parks, if that's what you're referring to. She's marketed as part of the brand with blonde hair, she's going to appear in the park with blonde hair. I personally prefer the brunette hair on Rapunzel because it symbolizes her freedom and her ability to live her own life, whereas her blonde locks kept her chained under Gothel's selfishness and cruelty. But for the purpose of character recognition, the chances that we'll see a Rapunzel without long blonde hair in the parks is slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see Rapunzel with brunette hair in the parks, if that's what you're referring to. She's marketed as part of the brand with blonde hair, she's going to appear in the park with blonde hair. I personally prefer the brunette hair on Rapunzel because it symbolizes her freedom and her ability to live her own life, whereas her blonde locks kept her chained under Gothel's selfishness and cruelty. But for the purpose of character recognition, the chances that we'll see a Rapunzel without long blonde hair in the parks is slim to none.
    I totally agree. But I also understand the reasoning for her blonde hair. It just irks me a little.

Well, I personally feel the magic is lost. The idea of coming to the parks and seeing the characters is to experience them as if they came to life right off the screen. Yes, they've redesigned the dresses and hair over the decades, but the one thing that was constant was keeping the look true to the movie.
    These new makeovers make no attempt to try and be realistic to the films. Case in point, Belle's new look is so far removed from Belle in Beauty and The Beast, it looks more like some cheesy cosplay costume at a neighborhood kid's birthday party.
    It makes me very sad that I will no longer see the Princesses I've known them over the years in their films. All because Disney wants to make money off selling a new line of horrible dresses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast