Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Space: Are advanced parking garages the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Design View Post
    The way I envisioned it, they could do 2 or 3 large garages with a connection (tram or otherwise) to Downtown Disney where the patrons could continue to walk to the esplanade... And why can't they charge enough of a toll to cover all of the garage costs and make it self sustaining? In the end, it would provide space For more expansion... More hotels, and maybe even a third gate...?
    It will happen, its on the books. Just wait.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Ok, you have got me. What is the difference between Disney M&F Parking structure and Universal's? Is that there is a counter of how many spaces are open? If so Disney already does that it just does not display the numbers because the attendants are supose to do that. Can you expand on the idea further.
    I was wondering, too. I found this:

Universal Studios Orlando has two garages with 21,000 spaces, 52 escalators, and 350 call-buttons lost guests can use to seek help. Guests park in sections with movie themes and strong reminders. In "King Kong," they see his image everywhere, and hear his roar.

The state-of-the-art enclosed parking garage complete with protection from the elements, a 200-camera security system, moving sidewalks, escalators and elevators, on-site wheelchair rental and an on-site kennel. Vehicles can leave the garage and return the same day by stopping at the toll plaza upon re-entry and presenting their parking ticket.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Disneyland 19 year APH

There is little difference between DL and USO. Just less esulators. Disneyland has esculators, a kennel, and reentry with parking ticket. So there is just no projections or sounds because how would you feel about having Mickey projected everywhere and saying welcome. Also Disneyland does not have the extra space that USO has. USO parking structures would take up the same amount of space that Disneyland park size is. Even if the could build space that size there would not be the space that resort could tear down M&F structure and build something the etire size of S Disneyland Drive. (the street runnig the west boundary of the park
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Interesting. I have never seen the parking structures at Universal. One note though is that one of the issues with Universal is that even if it seems like they have room, much of it cannot be used due to noise concerns. That is why everything on the lower lot is indoors. They have to be super careful that screams from an attraction don't end up in the background of a movie.

As for Disneyland, the current plan is to sometime soon build a new parking structure at the Pumba lot (just North of GardenWalk) to handle the parking that will be necessary when the Toy Story lot is needed for expansion. Other than that, they are doing what they can to get less cars coming in a day so that they don't need to needlessly waste money and space on Parking. Whether that new structure will include the technologies of the Universal lots will have to be seen. I know that many lots put a detector loop in each stall to see which ones are empty, but the way that Disney has CM's park each car, it isn't a huge deal to them.

• Nerd

Flat parking lots are cost effective = buy up a bunch of warehouses down the street on the other side of the 5 freeway (over near Company D) and level the buildings, put in parking spaces and run buses to the park. Its expandable and affordable. An extra 5 or 10 minutes on a bus would not affect my day in the slightest. No need to build multilevel structures and spend billions - better to spend the money on the park experience.

Btw - I thought I read somewhere that M&F was the largest parking structure on earth. Is that true?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's one of the largest, but not the world's largest. Sticky & Friends appears to have been designed and maintained by "not Disney".

But I give the CM's props, it's operated like "Disney".

A new garage OR a new Tomorrowland is a false choice for a company like TWD Co.

However, the "underground" suggestion is more expensive but worth considering in Calif. I don't know to what degree it's possible or necessary at WDW.

Mostly because it blocks out so much room in a resort.

If its a terrorism prevention measure, just put CM parking, backstage functions and utilities underground.

Or don't build theme park "targets" on top. But a Downtown Disney to GardenWalk connector (restaurant plaza?) atop parking would add a flow down to Toy Story lot (future Park 3).
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 02-14-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Flat parking lots are cost effective = buy up a bunch of warehouses down the street on the other side of the 5 freeway (over near Company D) and level the buildings, put in parking spaces and run buses to the park. Its expandable and affordable. An extra 5 or 10 minutes on a bus would not affect my day in the slightest. No need to build multilevel structures and spend billions - better to spend the money on the park experience.
    That's actually an interesting idea. It's worth noting that the Hollywood Bowl uses this system and nobody complains. The Staples Center utilizes privately owned parking lots around it for much of its parking and seems to work just fine as well.

This also alleviates congestion, as everybody spreads out toward the bus that gets them toward their particular lot, instead of all crowding into the one tram that goes toward Mickey and Friends.

• Rock Star Minion

A higher average number of guests per car is required. Need to drop free parking for PAP's and the Annual Parking Pass option for the other AP levels.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm not sure how feasible underground parking in Anaheim would be. Anaheim was actually swampland before the Europeans settled the area and drained the swamps to grow crops. So the whole northern third of Orange County including Anaheim still sits on a huge natural aquifer which is a relic from these days. (And which is still partially used for the water supply). In some places you hit water by digging only 15 feet. It may be a bit deeper near Disneyland but it is still there. While they can get around this with modern technology for sure I am certain that this limits how far deep they can go to put in something like an underground parking garage.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

also you realy can't building underground in OC because of the sand that sits between us and bedrock, 2000ft down. OC has the best water suply system in the world because we supily ourselves with our own water, no import and 2/3 of the water is put back into the ground. Another problem would be is a structure would colapse under the sand in an earthquake, Disney would face a huge PR nightmare not to mention the huge lost of property/lives. Above ground is the best answer in SoCal because of the huge threat of a 6-7.0 earthquake at any moment.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by animark View Post
    this may be a stupid idea but, is there anyway where they can make an underground parking lot?
    Underground structures are massively more expensive than above ground structures.

Btw - I thought I read somewhere that M&F was the largest parking structure on earth. Is that true?
    Large surface lots are incredibly detrimental to the urban fabric.

• Rock Star Minion

"Was" is the operative word.

They could build underground. Just need to build a 100-foot mountain...
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Large surface lots are incredibly detrimental to the urban fabric.
    I agree, IF they're not being used by a high-demand public.
    I don't think this applies to Disneyland's parking lots.
    Now, if you want to discuss getting to DL in some way other than their cars (lessening the need for the parking lots), we have a thread about Mass Transit around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    also you realy can't building underground in OC because of the sand that sits between us and bedrock, 2000ft down. OC has the best water suply system in the world because we supily ourselves with our own water, no import and 2/3 of the water is put back into the ground. Another problem would be is a structure would colapse under the sand in an earthquake, Disney would face a huge PR nightmare not to mention the huge lost of property/lives. Above ground is the best answer in SoCal because of the huge threat of a 6-7.0 earthquake at any moment.
    Where I live in Canada we don't import water either, and we have way better tasting water then Orange County, its so clean we don't even have to add chemicals to it.

Plenty of places in So. Cal have underground parking, the risk of a large earthquake yes while there is not a reason not to build something, if it were we would have no high rises, no houses, nothing in So. Cal.

I grew up in So. Cal and I would be money, I will be dead before the huge one hits. Might happen this year, might not happen in 200 years, can't stop life because it might happen.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I agree, IF they're not being used by a high-demand public.
    I don't think this applies to Disneyland's parking lots.
    Now, if you want to discuss getting to DL in some way other than their cars (lessening the need for the parking lots), we have a thread about Mass Transit around here somewhere.
    Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

If half of the people came down to Disney on the High Speed Rail or if the Santa Ana line of the Los Angeles metro rail system is developed, Angelenos could transfer to the streetcar at ARTIC and leave their cars at home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast