Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: out of place cast member?

^ drinking is permitted when it's really hot and the CM has to work outside. Also, CMs are allowed to do things like roll their sleeves up, etc.

Not too long ago the famous ban on excessive facial hair was lifted but ironically this just made the CMs at Indy appear to blend in with the theme more.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Not too long ago the famous ban on excessive facial hair was lifted but ironically this just made the CMs at Indy appear to blend in with the theme more.
    There are a few places, like Main Street, USA and Frontierland, where I still think it'd be cool if there was a way to encourage theme appropriate facial hair styles.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Actually, drinking onstage is still prohibited for the most part, even if it's just water. There are a few departments that make exceptions for roles that involve heavy amounts of talking for long periods of time, but for the the most part, you should not see cast members drinking onstage.
    As it should be. When they are "on stage" even if they are just walking to or from their station, they still need to seem approachable to people in the park. Casually sipping away on a soda is very standoffish. It gives a perception that the person does not want to deal with the public and they should not be approached.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

In my experience (maybe out of date by now lol) CMs were not to be seen in their costume off property as someone already said, and and food (and now phones) were always a big no-no. Also, if you're walking to or from your location, you shouldn't be drinking, water or soda. If you work outside and it's hot, you could drink water but you had to be facing away from guests or out of guest's immediate vision (behind a cart or something).

Also, at Disney World (from what I've heard from people I know who work there) you absolutely can't be seen in one land wearing the wardrobe from another. At MK, this is easy because of the utilidors, but at the other parks, they apparently rent out bikes so CMs can peddle around the perimeter of the park to their location without being seen. I guess they don't do that in Disneyland.

I also know that at Universal Orlando, though a little more lax with the out of place wardrobe policy in general, the Harry Potter wardrobe CAN ONLY be seen in the WWOHP, and NOWHERE else, even off property. Also, no other wardrobe can cross through that section at the risk of getting the rights to HP taken away from Warner Bros and JK Rowling herself.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As it should be. When they are "on stage" even if they are just walking to or from their station, they still need to seem approachable to people in the park. Casually sipping away on a soda is very standoffish. It gives a perception that the person does not want to deal with the public and they should not be approached.
    Some years ago, I would have agreed with you here, but hydration is very important, especially for people who are constantly outside. It behooves employers to allow employees the ability to drink when they are thirsty. As a hotel manager, my valet are out and about and don't have access to a water cooler or even a sink. They have bottled water on the stand, and are allowed soda. It is unhealthy for someone to stand for long periods of time without something like that. We don't get the heat that happens down in Orange County, so I can't imagine why you would want someone to be thirsty.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite goat View Post
    Some years ago, I would have agreed with you here, but hydration is very important, especially for people who are constantly outside. It behooves employers to allow employees the ability to drink when they are thirsty. As a hotel manager, my valet are out and about and don't have access to a water cooler or even a sink. They have bottled water on the stand, and are allowed soda. It is unhealthy for someone to stand for long periods of time without something like that. We don't get the heat that happens down in Orange County, so I can't imagine why you would want someone to be thirsty.
    I never said I wanted them to be thirsty. They just need to drink out and away from the public. If they are working on a ride, there are places to go out of view. If they are strolling through the park, they can either drink before they leave or wait until they get to their destination. It is bad form to do it out in view of everyone for the reasons mentioned above.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I HATE companies that have policies like this!

You might be right but this could lead to poor health conditions in your employees. Not only is it bad for them not to drink when dehydrated this could lead to increased sick days as a result. This might look bad but I think this is something that is admissible due to health reasons.

I never said I wanted them to be thirsty. They just need to drink out and away from the public. If they are working on a ride, there are places to go out of view. If they are strolling through the park, they can either drink before they leave or wait until they get to their destination. It is bad form to do it out in view of everyone for the reasons mentioned above.
    If I see someone drinking something, I can't imagine feeling put off or that they're being aloof. I'll just say I don't agree with you on this, and leave it at that.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

If I see a CM or any employee drinking water in front of me I don't mind it at all. Hydration is important. Its not disrespectful if they need to keep them at their top game. I say its not a problem but I would not want the guy checking seat restraints drinking a water while doing it that is bad form but if they are idol at the moment than go for it.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Filmmaker

I'm going to add my voice to the others here and say that I don't see any problem with a cast member, or any other kind of service employee, having access to a bottle of water at their work station so long as it's not interfering with customer/guest service. As has been mentioned, the health and safety of your employees is more important that customer service. Sorry, but it's that simple. In this case the customer is not right. It's true that without customers you don't have a job, but it's equally true that without employees you don't have a business.

Also, restricting employees from drinking water "on stage" or at work stations leads to situations where an employee has to abandon their work station in order to be hydrated. I shouldn't have to explain how this leads to worse customer service issues than simply allowing a water bottle at a work station would. A quick drink from a water bottle between helping guests allows a CM to stay hydrated without sacrificing guest service.

The being said, I understand that a Cast Member in Fronteirland holding a big soda cup plastered with Taco Bell logos would be a violation of theme, but if theming is an issue, Disney could provide in-theme water bottles as part of Cast Member costumes.

• Yeah...I'm cool

I too agree. how can someone taking a drink be off putting or bad form. I believe a lot of individuals have unreasonable expectations regarding Disney employees. I have water at my desk all day, and am always hydrating myself.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Dont make me unfriend you

When I worked at the park, 20 years ago, they had a no eating/drinking/smoking policy while onstage. It doesn't bother me to see CM's drinking water onstage.

The CM's have their own bathrooms off stage. When I'm at non-Disney parks and see their employees using the bathroom with the guests, it makes me feel strange. I somehow feel that's wrong. But that's only because of my time as a CM...

I know I have the problem and not the employee.... :/

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    The being said, I understand that a Cast Member in Fronteirland holding a big soda cup plastered with Taco Bell logos would be a violation of theme, but if theming is an issue, Disney could provide in-theme water bottles as part of Cast Member costumes.
    ^Ooh I like this. For Indy and Jungle they could be in like cantine and toontown they could be wierd shapes ect.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

There are a few situations where I can imagine it might not be possible to turn away or go in the back. Working on the canoes or at an ODV cart come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post

Also, at Disney World (from what I've heard from people I know who work there) you absolutely can't be seen in one land wearing the wardrobe from another. At MK, this is easy because of the utilidors, but at the other parks, they apparently rent out bikes so CMs can peddle around the perimeter of the park to their location without being seen. I guess they don't do that in Disneyland.
    When I first started working there was a backstage shuttle but it was mostly used by TDA people since it ran so infrequently that is was easier for most CMs to walk. You were also allowed to bring your bike backstage. I think both were discontinued after 9/11.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast