Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: out of place cast member?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    When I worked at the park, 20 years ago, they had a no eating/drinking/smoking policy while onstage. It doesn't bother me to see CM's drinking water onstage.

The CM's have their own bathrooms off stage. When I'm at non-Disney parks and see their employees using the bathroom with the guests, it makes me feel strange. I somehow feel that's wrong. But that's only because of my time as a CM...

I know I have the problem and not the employee.... :/
    IMO you don't have a problem, you have a set of standards. Standards that Disneyland once had. Standards of showmanship and customer service for which it used to be world famous.

Standards which, sadly, have declined in the last 20 years.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    IMO you don't have a problem, you have a set of standards. Standards that Disneyland once had. Standards of showmanship and customer service for which it used to be world famous.

Standards which, sadly, have declined in the last 20 years.
    I believe he was referring to other theme parks where the employees use the same facilities as guests. At Disneyland it continues to be a big no-no to use an on-stage restroom (as it should be). It is a little jarring to see at other parks if you're used to Disney, but understandable as not all parks have the resources of Disney. You do not see it at at any of the other major parks (Universal, SeaWorld, etc.) either.

Now what bugs me is when I'm at Denny's on Katella and I see a costumed Disney cast member. When FastTrack first started it was made clear that cast members should go straight home if they were in costume. If they were not going straight home they were to change out of costume. There were even rumors of managers roaming popular CM hangouts. Even when I was eligible for FastTrack I used it maybe two or three times because it never felt right to me to be seen in costume outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I believe he was referring to other theme parks where the employees use the same facilities as guests. At Disneyland it continues to be a big no-no to use an on-stage restroom (as it should be). It is a little jarring to see at other parks if you're used to Disney, but understandable as not all parks have the resources of Disney. You do not see it at at any of the other major parks (Universal, SeaWorld, etc.) either.

Now what bugs me is when I'm at Denny's on Katella and I see a costumed Disney cast member. When FastTrack first started it was made clear that cast members should go straight home if they were in costume. If they were not going straight home they were to change out of costume. There were even rumors of managers roaming popular CM hangouts. Even when I was eligible for FastTrack I used it maybe two or three times because it never felt right to me to be seen in costume outside of work.
    I absolutely have to agree with the unifor... errr... "costume"... being used outside the park. While I have never encountered this personally, I will say it certainly throws immersion way off. There's no reason for it. Go back to your locker, get your "real life" clothes; then leave. You can return to the park in unif... er... costume... when you're due back.

• a damsel not in distress

i just wanted to clarify that i didn't think there was anything wrong with the castmember being in front of the gumbo shop or that she was drinking a soda, i was really just curious if there were any rules against it at any point since i couldn't recall ever seeing a castmember out of place before.

i think if you need to drink at work, you should be able to, but it would be super cool if they drank out of something in theme, but only for the mere fact that i like cool details like that. i also think it's weird to see a cast member in an area that doesn't match their costume, but i don't think it would be as off-putting as seeing them at in n out in costume or something; i think there should be rules against that.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

I would have to concur that allowing the costumes out from behind the berm was not a good decision. I remember being a kid and not having the full experience of the magic that was Disneyland until you got through the gates. Then it all came to life.
    When I was a CM we were always instructed never to linger in an area out of costume or go to a different land unless we had to. You'd get called out on it if you did.
    I don't think that would matter all that much nowadays though considering they let the costumes out of the park. It would seem kind of weird for supervision to get on a Tomorrowland costumed CM in Fantasyland when you see a mish mash of costumes outside he park, in the real world, before you even get into the parks. The experience has already been spoiled. My opinion.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite goat View Post
    Some years ago, I would have agreed with you here, but hydration is very important, especially for people who are constantly outside. It behooves employers to allow employees the ability to drink when they are thirsty. As a hotel manager, my valet are out and about and don't have access to a water cooler or even a sink. They have bottled water on the stand, and are allowed soda. It is unhealthy for someone to stand for long periods of time without something like that. We don't get the heat that happens down in Orange County, so I can't imagine why you would want someone to be thirsty.
    Walt Disney World distributes identical, featureless water bottles in black pouches to all of its operations and custodial CMs (to my knowledge). It's usually attached by a clip to their back hip. Obviously CMs aren't supposed to be sipping from it while checking seatbelt buckles or anything like that, but there are positions like outdoor greeters (which involve talking with guests for hours under the hot sun) where water is absolutely necessary. These were implemented years ago after health/safety concerns.

Having the water bottle filled with anything but water, or being seen buying or drinking from a restaurant cup onstage, would definitely get a CM in trouble at WDW.

• No Disassemble!

At the DLR it's been acceptable for many years for CMs to drink from the same cups that are used at the counter-service restaurants. I personally think that it's bad show to drink from any other types of non-Disney branded cups or soda cans but that's just my opinion.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I don't see any issue with a Haunted Mansion CM walking about New Orleans Square. Is the Mansion not a recreation of a Greek revival style plantation Mansion seen all over the south? I would have an issue if this CM was grabbing a slice of pizza from the Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. I think it's OK if a CM is still in their assigned themed land, so this is not a real big theme breaker to me really. I believe if you spend more time looking for faults than you do enjoying yourself, the magic has been lost to you anyways. It's Disneyland, have fun! It's not like you are out in front of the Haunted Mansion and there is a giant Alligator playing a trumpet or something right? Oh wait a minute....

• Coming soon...

I am amazed people have an issue with CMs drinking at work. They provide a great service in hot weather often they should remain hydrated in order to be alert when operating rides. That is really just basic safety. You would all be the first to call out if an unwell CM made a mistake on a ride and caused an accident.

• Minion

Was the Mansion hostess actively drinking from the Styrofoam cup as she walked by you? Or was she just holding it in her hand? You aren't allowed to drink while Onstage, but you can certainly carry a cup of water from one place to another. As for CM's not drinking while Onstage, it's just common professionalism, in addition to part of the "Show" of Disneyland. There are plenty of breaks during the day, including assigned 5 minute extra "water breaks", to keep CM's from dehydrating.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    I too agree. how can someone taking a drink be off putting or bad form. I believe a lot of individuals have unreasonable expectations regarding Disney employees. I have water at my desk all day, and am always hydrating myself.
    Ahhh, the voice of reason.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Observer

Its my understanding that Disney does not pay its cast members for the extra time it takes for them to go checl out their costumes and change into it, amd then back out for every shift. It takes alot of time I assume. Now of they paid the cast members for the extra time it would take out of their lives, then by all means they should not be allowed to wear their costumes outside

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Was the Mansion hostess actively drinking from the Styrofoam cup as she walked by you? Or was she just holding it in her hand? You aren't allowed to drink while Onstage, but you can certainly carry a cup of water from one place to another.
    I'm not the one you were asking, but I saw three differently costumed CM's come out the gate by the smoking shack, on the Fantasyland/Big Thunder path. One had a messenger bag and a cup with a straw, and yes, was drinking. One had a backpack, and the other had a water bottle or something. They caught my eye because of the anachronisms (sorry, I do Ren Faire). I didn't mind, they gotta get from one place to another, but when I was a kid, you never saw a CM in uniform with personal stuff also.
    xo, Deanna

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Today I saw 2 CMs from Carsland walking through Fantasyland. They were so out of place that I almost asked them to get backstage.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Today I saw 2 CMs from Carsland walking through Fantasyland. They were so out of place that I almost asked them to get backstage.
    That would be downright rude and inappropriate. If their employer permits it, then its not anyone from the public's right to tell the employee to do something.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast