Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• a damsel not in distress

out of place cast member?

so, this may be a stupid question, but are cast members required to "stick to their area"? i was just reminiscing about my last trip to disneyland and recalled that as i was leaving the gumbo restaurant near pirates of the caribbean, i passed a cast member in the costume for the haunted mansion. she had a nametag on and smiled as she passed, drinking a soda. i didn't think anything of it at the time, but now i realize she seemed a little out of place.

i realize that they have to get from one place to another somehow, but i don't think i've ever seen a castmember in a costume that didn't match their surroundings, so i'm just wondering if there's some type of rule about that or if i've just never paid enough attention to cast members passing me by.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Filmmaker

Re: out of place cast member?

You see this fairly frequently at Disneyland. I'm not sure how much weight there is to this story, but I've heard that Walt was always unhappy with the phenomenon and it's for that reason (among others) that the utilidors exist under Magic Kingdom.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

It is not that uncommon, overall...HM/Critter Country/NoS ones walking through Adventureland to get to their work locations are what I've observed most of all seeing as that's a 'dead end' of the park without backstage complexes that connect like the one wedged between Fantasyland and Frontierland, or behind Tomorrowland and Main Street (from my rough understanding of it).

• No Disassemble!

A long time ago there used to be strict rules about costumes including one that required CMs to keep their roaming backstage as to not break theme. One of the most recent ones that I can remember was that you couldn't wear your costume outside the park but if you've ever driven by a bus stop on Harbor lately you know that rule probably no longer exists.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    so, this may be a stupid question, but are cast members required to "stick to their area"? i was just reminiscing about my last trip to disneyland and recalled that as i was leaving the gumbo restaurant near pirates of the caribbean, i passed a cast member in the costume for the haunted mansion.she had a nametag on and smiled as she passed, drinking a soda. i didn't think anything of it at the time, but now i realize she seemed a little out of place.

i realize that they have to get from one place to another somehow, but i don't think i've ever seen a castmember in a costume that didn't match their surroundings, so i'm just wondering if there's some type of rule about that or if i've just never paid enough attention to cast members passing me by.
    No matter what else it is or what excuses are offered for it, a costumed CM slurping a soda onstage is Bad Show.

There was a thread a few months back about CMs taking meal breaks onstage. Other threads related to this topic include:

And from the thread "CMs with Backpacks/Purses -- Bad Show?" a quote from this post, citing Disney's CM look guidelines (emphasis mine):

"No matter where you work or what your role is, anytime you are in a public area, you are 'on stage.' Your attitude and performance are direct reflections on the quality of our Disney show. It's those things that you don't always think of that detract from our guests' enjoyment -- chewing gum, having poor posture, using a cell phone...or frowning. Like these actions, smoking and eating on stage are also strictly prohibited. All of this adds up to one of the most important aspects of your role in our show: good stage presence."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Just drawn that way

Back when I was a Hat writer, I was some times needed in a hat shop and had no time to change.

I remember wearing the old Black and White HM Cart outfit and being called into the Mad Hatter in Fantasyland.....I felt out of place.

Some areas don't connect, or the cast restaurants close early so cast have to cross lands. =(
    Little and broken, but still good.

•   

The lack of Utilidors at the Disneyland Resort does make it more difficult to avoid walking onstage. Some locations can be accessed without ever stepping onstage. Many others require you to at least cut across one or two onstage walkways no matter what, and fully onstage routes can be quicker in some cases. Different cast members have different preferences at different locations.

Fortunately, cast members typically dont have to be seen in areas that most strongly clash with their costumes. For instance, that cast member would never have a good reason to be in that costume in Tomorrowland, and indeed that's not allowed. But walking onstage through New Orleans Square in that costume is. That is, as long as the cast member remembers that they are onstage, which does mean no eating or drinking (among many other things).

Bottom line, if you see a cast member walking through an area that doesn't quite match their costume, perhaps carrying a purse or bag, please understand that they are probably just doing their best to get to or from their work location, and there may not be a suitable backstage route available. But you have every right to expect them to behave like they're onstage because..........well they are.

• phbbbbbt

I saw a lot of this a couple of weeks ago, especially when we were in the smoking hovel near Big Thunder Ranch. I saw a half dozen CM's come out the doors there, in various costumes, some with bags, backpacks... Didn't used to see that at all (I'm 44, btw), like never ever. I get that they have to use whatever entrance/exit is there, and I've been backstage through probably a dozen places, but yeah, it didn't used to be like that.
    xo, Deanna

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Not a problem. I would only have a problem if they were dressed in a BTM costume and working Jungle Cruise. But that is not going to happen. Seeing a CM walking across stage just means that they are coming or going home for the day. Also it helps ID them for any questions/problems you have. I see this most offten in NOS and at Town Square and Plaza Street on Main Street. This is because there is no backstage path from Adventureland to Tommorrowland unless they want to walk all the way around the park along the back roads to get there which is not practical. Also I see it alot in DCA because there is not alot of back stage areas near the middel of the park so you see alot of Carsland, Bugsland, Paradise Pier CMs walking across BVS to get there.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What's worse is that CMs are now allowed to bring their costumes home. A while back I was at CVS picking up a prescription and in front of me was a costumed CM. That was kind of weird to see that at the prescription counter in CVS. Another time I saw a CM eating at the McDonalds across the street from DL on Harbor.

• Observer

The cast member entrance, main costuming, main cafe, and main parking lot are all on the south east portion of Disneyland park. A cast member from Indy will not and shouldnt have to walk from Indy back stage up around critter country/circle d ranch/toon town and tomorrowland to get to where they need to go. That walk would take 30+ minutes. And since they cant build any tunnels underneath this park anymore, its just something the we guest will have to get use too.

• I'm New Here

I don't mind CMs walking through, it's when they're obviously off the clock and are eating, drinking or even shopping. Yes, I saw a girl shopping at Epcot once. The CM working in the store told her to leave since it was against the rules. If you need to shop, come back some other time or at least change. It was a strange interaction and one that made me feel weird.
    Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.

This has always been a problem at Disneyland; one that Walt Disney himself recognized and led to the creation of the underground system at Magic Kingdom. To my knowledge, Magic Kingdom is the only Disney park with a full system (Epcot only has them in Future World and none of the newer parks were built with them). I think Tokyo Disneyland may have them to some extent, but I'm not sure. Drinking on stage is something that has been allowed in the past few years. I think it is supposed to be water only. As a former CM I was surprised to see this but I understand why safety would trump show.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What's worse is that CMs are now allowed to bring their costumes home. A while back I was at CVS picking up a prescription and in front of me was a costumed CM. That was kind of weird to see that at the prescription counter in CVS. Another time I saw a CM eating at the McDonalds across the street from DL on Harbor.
    That's pretty much a no no as well. Occasionally my wife will have to run into the market on her way home from work, but she hates doing it and always takes off her name badge. Her costume is kind of generic so not as obvious...but they will ask "do you work at Disneyland" and then "That must be fun!" which it is. I don't think it really hurts anything as long as she is polite and friendly because even if off property, if dressing in a costume, you represent the company. It certainly isn't ruining Albertson's show.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

•   

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Drinking on stage is something that has been allowed in the past few years. I think it is supposed to be water only. As a former CM I was surprised to see this but I understand why safety would trump show.
    Actually, drinking onstage is still prohibited for the most part, even if it's just water. There are a few departments that make exceptions for roles that involve heavy amounts of talking for long periods of time, but for the the most part, you should not see cast members drinking onstage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast