Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes, Part 2

This can be taken any way you wish to take it but I do remember a time when 33 Members didn't need a Fastpass!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This can be taken any way you wish to take it but I do remember a time when 33 Members didn't need a Fastpass!
    Howdy Skip,
    Yes, you are very much correct.
    While it wasn't a written policy, most of the terrific cast members inside the park always bent over backwards to help out the club members. They were so kind and exceptionally polite, it was very common and still is that many members would make reservations for them and really develop some terrific relationships.
    While I don't visit the park much any more or eat at the resort due the issues as discussed in this forum, I truly miss the old days.
    Back then, it was really rare to see another actual member in the club or the park, there weren't that many of us. Yet the club sure stayed busy and everything was simply wonderful.

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes, Part 2

If as the former CM (?) detailed on the earlier thread, abuse of the unlimited-com privilege [including for Internet resale] had become rampant, then the annual limit of 50/member is simply necessary. Those who complain about it can thank those who abused it [assuming the loudest complainers are not the abusers themselves].

Consider too that under the new system a comped person is not required to dine at C33. Since such dining roughly equals the cost of Park admission, there was a degree of self-limitation built into the old system: Persons who balked at the dining cost might forego the DLR trip accordingly. If C33 instituted unlimited free ParkHopper comps with no dining requirement, the freebie floodgates would be opened [and the Internet resale accelerated].

Removing the comp/dining requirement also frees up C33 dining space for members, particularly at short notice. It's nice to be able to dine at one's club without having to make a reservation two months in advance!

My impression is also that the quality and behavior of C33 diners has also improved since the change, possibly since the Club is no longer dealing with compees who are just there to punch their freebie-ParkHopper ticket.

For one's friends, relatives, clients, 50 PHcomps/year is actually quite a lot. An adult PH admission is currently $125. This translates into an annually-renewing C33 membership benefit of $6,250 [in addition to the member & spouse's own unlimited PH admissions]. That's not a bad deal, considering that Gold dues are slightly over 1/2 of that.

So I am not rose-colored-glassing the new PHcomp arrangement; I think it's both a necessity and a positive enhancement of the C33 experience, not to mention a supercalietc. good $deal.

Concerning 1901, my feeling is still that it's a membership add-on option, like the tours & concierge - not something essential to core C33 membership. Club 33 is the place behind the door at 33 Royal Street, which is what all the Silvers and Golds joined and renewed over the years.

If I had my 'druthers, I would have retained Gold [and indeed Silver] as joining-options, and made up/down levels an annual option at dues-time. But, like ObamaCare, there may be reasons why this would not be budgetarily viable.

As for the C33 visiting experience itself, it remains as gracious and delightful today as when we first joined in 1996 - indeed, as above, perceptively better in terms of less crowding and more well-behaved diners. I do miss the full lunch buffet, the pasta station, etc. but that's a minor quibble. [I understand the pasta station was removed because of fire regulations concerning the open flame hotplate. Perhaps the members could chip in for a fire-extinguisher?]

On to fast-pass: Once again, I think that 6@ for member & spouse/day is plenty. Let's remember that this is a perk, not a license to run wild and preempt all of the regular Park guests who follow the regular FP rules or wait in line. Indeed my wife and I find that we rarely need or use all of our instantFPs on visits, and one of our habits is to keep an eye out for strangers who are disconsolate because of FPrejection, then surprise them with a couple of instant FPs "as pixie dust from Club 33". We consider this just another way to "share the magic", make people happy, and enhance the Club's image.

We all know the story about the optimist and pessimist boys. The pessimist, placed in a room full of toys, refuses to play with them "because they'll all break sooner or later". The optimist, placed in a room full of dung, seizes a shovel and starts to dig. "There's got to be a pony down there somewhere!" Nuff said.
    ______
    Rachane

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post

We all know the story about the optimist and pessimist boys. The pessimist, placed in a room full of toys, refuses to play with them "because they'll all break sooner or later". The optimist, placed in a room full of dung, seizes a shovel and starts to dig. "There's got to be a pony down there somewhere!" Nuff said.
    Love your attitude

Wow, some of you fellows are really entertaining and I mean that with all sincerity. Holy Toledo, if i ever wanted to go into the doormat business and needed someone to run the company, I'd certainly know where to look! It's quite obvious you really don't mind being stepped on.
    As I've stated earlier, the club has never been a more depressing and sad place as it is today, but you know, we're locals and used to visit very, very frequently. I base my observations not on four visits a year but on five to six times that amount.
    Knowing a very large number of cast members as friends outside the park also gives me a very good view of what is happening behind the scene.
    That being said, should my basement fill up with dung, I'll give you a call! I believe my landscaper has a few extra shovels he can let me borrow. Oh, what the hell, I'll buy you one and have a little 33's engraved on the handle.

Removing the comp/dining requirement also frees up C33 dining space for members, particularly at short notice. It's nice to be able to dine at one's club without having to make a reservation two months in advance!
    Prior to this change, how hard was it for members to get reservations inside the two month window?
    Some posts in prior threads indicate it could be quite difficult for members to make reservations for themselves. I have not had any difficulty making reservations (over the last 6 months), often less than a month in advance. I was even able to call at 10AM to make a lunch reservation the same day.

Opening more reservations for members was likely the primary objective for removing the comp/dining requirement, and seems to have been a success. This space in the restaurant allows Disney to sell more memberships.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    Opening more reservations for members was likely the primary objective for removing the comp/dining requirement, and seems to have been a success. This space in the restaurant allows Disney to sell more memberships.
    Making reservations prior to the comp restrictions post 2012, was never a problem for me, especially when making them 30 days out. If going out to the 60 day max, I can't recall ever having been refused.
    Sure, trying to make reservations perhaps a week before or several days before could be difficult, but to me, that was simply par for the course.
    A very close friend who works inside the park told me that many of the changes were brought on due to a Disney exec who tried to make somewhat hasty reservations for his friends and wasn't able to as the club was booked. He told me that this fellow became rather upset and demanded to know why the club was so busy. Then followed the investigations into how many guests were being signed in, and we all know the rest. I actually learned the above story about two weeks ago it does make sense.
    Personally, I never experienced any issues with the club prior to 2012, it was really a terrific time to be a member. Now however, the club has been turned into not just a profit center, but a major profit center and I really dislike what is going on. Well, I guess that's pretty obvious based on my posts.
    To myself, Club 33 was to be a monumentum aere prennius, but I truly miscalculated what the Disney Company was capable of and how little they care for members.

• Minion

Prior to this change, how hard was it for members to get reservations inside the two month window?
    Some posts in prior threads indicate it could be quite difficult for members to make reservations for themselves. I have not had any difficulty making reservations (over the last 6 months), often less than a month in advance. I was even able to call at 10AM to make a lunch reservation the same day.
    At the 2 month mark, there usually wasn't an issue. My contact always said to try and plan for 2 months. Under a month was pretty difficult, and under 2 weeks was pretty much a no way.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Having the club busy and quite successful was always part of the charm. Waiting 5 to 18 years for membership also added to the uniqueness and exclusivity. I simply despise the fact that merely writing a check will gain you access. Another sign of mismanagement when a list of approx. 1000 very patient people turn down the new membership level.
    Vanished is the right of passage re patience.
    It never bothered me if we couldn't make somewhat exigent reservations, it was merely part of the parameters of daily operation and once, as members, we learned these, you simply worked within them.
    If I wasn't able to obtain short notice reservations at the club, I would merely send my guests to Steakhouse 55, the Blue Bayou, or Napa.
    Like an aged fellow in a rocking chair I can honestly say, 'I sure miss those days.'

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Having the club busy and quite successful was always part of the charm. Waiting 5 to 18 years for membership also added to the uniqueness and exclusivity. I simply despise the fact that merely writing a check will gain you access. Another sign of mismanagement when a list of approx. 1000 very patient people turn down the new membership level.
    My name was toward the end of that long waiting list, patiently waiting since 2006 (Disney and news articles often inaccurately report the waiting list was closed for 10 years). The membership turnover was very low, with only a few new memberships offered each year. Most people on the waiting list, including myself, were not going to live long enough to be offered membership.

When demand far exceeds supply, there is money to be made...
    Disney sifted through the waiting list for those willing to pay for Platinum membership. If the post reporting 275 Platinum members is accurate, some Disney exec is likely getting a bonus or promotion.

If the post reporting 275 Platinum members is accurate, some Disney exec is likely getting a bonus or promotion.
    It's so terribly sad, I feel very bad for those poor would-be members who waited all those years, just to get offered Platinum.
    A lot of the new Platinum Members are new, never having waited on the list. My contacts within the park stated most of those on the waiting list refused to join Platinum.
    I'm really sorry Nonsuch, too bad you couldn't have joined prior to 2012, but to be honest, with the now recent issues, you're not missing anything whatsoever.

• Minion

If the post reporting 275 Platinum members is accurate, some Disney exec is likely getting a bonus or promotion.
    Actually, it was capped at 250. Interestingly, everyone I knew that was on the list joined. (That was only about 12 people though, but I don't personally know anyone who was offered a spot who didn't take it. They had been on the list since late 2004 and a few from 2005.) I have 2 close friends who have their checkbooks open, who keep getting told "You're on the waiting list, just wait..."
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Nonsuch - I want to clarify what I said. It is my understanding the new memberships were capped at 250. This doesn't count the Golds that upgraded to Platinum. My guess is about 30-50 upgraded. So, there would be about 280-300 platinum/exec members.

• Minion

There's still a long waiting list for new Club 33 members. The Club is currently maxed out, and needs to wait for current members to leave before they can open up new membership spots. Many on the waiting list from the past decade simply couldn't afford the new fee and dues structure when their time came, and they had to pass. But there are plenty who can afford it, and have their checkbooks waiting when Disney finally calls them. That tells me the new Club format is working just fine.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    There's still a long waiting list for new Club 33 members. The Club is currently maxed out, and needs to wait for current members to leave before they can open up new membership spots. Many on the waiting list from the past decade simply couldn't afford the new fee and dues structure when their time came, and they had to pass. But there are plenty who can afford it, and have their checkbooks waiting when Disney finally calls them. That tells me the new Club format is working just fine.
    This is what I had been told also, several times. Thank you for your info. I had a friend who had been on the list and was given an option to join in 2002, but had to turn it down. When his invitation came in May, he jumped at it this time. There were supposedly about 1000 people on the old list. Out of that, they were able to get 250 new members. 1 in 4 isn't bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast