Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Have you ever moved someone's blanket?

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    It is just a blanket, it can be moved in less than a minute, just picked up, folded and put somewhere else, or given to a CM.

I think it would be very rare for it to escalate into a physical, or even heated verbal confrontation. What does the blanket squatter say? "I was reserving this spot with my blanket?" "How dare you move my blanket?" I would just tell them that the spot was unoccupied and ask them to leave my family alone, obviously they are out of luck if their blanket isn't there anymore. I can't see somebody getting upset as they tried to cordone off a piece of the park for their future private use, which they can't legally do as they don't own Disneyland.
    I'm not the only one who suggested this in this thread so it's interesting that you chose to argue with my post and not the others. Anyway, if you've spent any time around people, you'll understand that something like that certainly could escalate. If someone's been "saving" their spot for five hours and you come along to take their blanket away do you really think that they won't be angry? Or that when you say "tough" they will back down? Ten to one they will either start screaming at you, they will push you and your family out of the way, or they will pursue it some other way. Someone who has staked out their spot clearly feels they are entitled to it.

I've seen fights start, inside and outside of Disneyland, for things as trivial as telling a child to quiet down, accidentally bumping into someone, etc. I once saw someone get into an argument and take the time to walk away, buy a drink and return so they could throw it in the other person's face. Taking someone's spot would make for an argument or altercation.
    Last edited by Malina; 02-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

• Wished I lived closer!

So as a "tourist" should I be packing a few extra blankets on the plane with me just so I can stake out a site hours before the show starts? What I am confused about is why AP's want to see the show over and over again? Isn't once or twice a year enough? Does this only sound odd to me? The last time I saw F! was in 2005, which if I'm not mistaken was before there were so many AP's as there are now. However, it was still quiet crowded and it was just me and my girlfriend and our 4 small children (the husbands ditched us for a Dodgers game). We went to the 2nd showing and ended up sitting in the smoking section down by the water (not sure if that is still there). Luckily, there were only a few folks smoking and it wasn't crowded at all. We did not get to see the show last time we were there because the site of all the saved spaces hours before the show started was really intimidating. CM's move strollers all the time so why would they not pick up blankets? Ya'll better watch out this June! I feel like I might be moving some blankets...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by joannaorange View Post
    So as a "tourist" should I be packing a few extra blankets on the plane with me just so I can stake out a site hours before the show starts? What I am confused about is why AP's want to see the show over and over again? Isn't once or twice a year enough? Does this only sound odd to me?
    LOL, no, it's not just you! I think that I've sat through Fantasmic...once? And then it was because a friend wanted to stop and watch it? It's a great show but once was enough for me.

• -

What I am confused about is why AP's want to see the show over and over again?
    So non-passholders aren't interested in seeing the show more than once?
    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I'm thinking that the casual, once in a lifetime, visitors to Disneyland don't know to bring a blanket with them to Fantasmic, but that the blanket squatters are almost entirely So-Cal APers.
    So now we move from generalizing all pass holders to just singling out the So-Cal ones? I'm sure tyre are single day ticket holders getting a spot hours before the show as well. Some of those people may even be leaving their blankets.
    Last edited by calsig31; 02-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Wished I lived closer!

[QUOTE=calsig31;1056919571]So non-passholders aren't interested in seeing the show more than once? Eh...Like I said, I saw it once in 2005 with only two of my kids. My husband and third child have yet to see it. But after this trip I probably won't need to see it again for awhile. As a side note...we watched a few parades last time we went and when you see people (kids, parents, etc) singing along, you know they have seen the darn thing more than once! My assumption is that this goes for F! but I may be wrong. It just sure looks like everyone knows what they are doing and have done it before Which, in all honesty, if I was an APer I might just do the same...I mean, if everyone else does it, right? I suppose there is no difference than putting your towel down on a lounge chair by the pool. If I set up shop at the pool and then went swimming I'd be pretty upset if somebody moved my stuff...hmmm...now I need to rethink this.

So now we move from generalizing all pass holders to just singling out the So-Cal ones? I'm sure tyre are single day ticket holders getting a spot hours before the show as well. Some of those people may even be leaving their blankets.[/QUOTE I would have NEVER thought to bring a blanket to save a spot! I assume if "you are in the know" then you bring one. And who are most of the folks that are "in the know?" Most likely it is not out of towners and tourists.

• Filmmaker

I suppose there is no difference than putting your towel down on a lounge chair by the pool. If I set up shop at the pool and then went swimming I'd be pretty upset if somebody moved my stuff...hmmm...now I need to rethink this.
    There is a difference, I think, because when someone sets a towel down on a lounge chair near a pool they're setting a place for their stuff so they don't have to carry it into the water, and a place where they can have a dry towel once they get out of the pool.

With people tossing down blankets for Fantasmic!, it's more akin to someone putting a towel down on a pool chair and then going to walk around downtown Disney for a few hours, maybe go back to the hotel room to watch a TV show, and finally coming back, hours later, expecting a spot to be saved for them. In both cases, someone is taking a spot away from someone else when they aren't going to be using it for another several hours.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I'm not shure how things are done at DL but the CM's litterally tape off areas for the MSEP and Wishes at MK that mark the walkways and they do aggressively enforce that rule. They also tape off a large area at DHS for the line waiting to get into the amphitheater where Fantasmic is shown.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• Under that tree again!

I think the possibility of using FP to view Fantasmic! is more likely than not. However the WoC FP operation is far from perfect and it may get better too.

With MyMagic+ they had parade viewing by FP in the MK. Haven't heard from anyone that tried it, if it was worth it. At the MK when you get 4 FPs where there are lots of often crowded FP attractions you may not want to allocate one FP to a shows.

Still plenty of time to work things out before this comes to DLR.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't understand how some people can watch Fantasmic! continuously either. IMO I find the show to be very boring except for maybe the Peter Pan scene and the dragon scene. During the rest of the show I find myself wishing there was a fast-forward button that I can skip all the rest of the stuff.

I agree with another poster who said someone is going to have to break their neck on one of those things for Disney to do anything about it.

I have been in that area where blankets have been left all around -- making NOS look more like a run-down occupy camp than a magical land in a great theme park. And sometimes it has been so bad that there is no room to walk! But what I do is just step on the blankets. Never mind that puddle of pee I accidentally stepped in when I went to use the restroom. Or that pile of dog poop I didn't see when I was playing catch in the park. If people want to sit their fannies on all of that then all the power to them. They should move them but until someone seriously hurts themselves, Disney is going to do absolutely nothing about it.

Easily 15 years ago, my wife and I (when we were still young and in love and in college), would go up every Friday afternoon, after classes, stake out a spot with a blanket, and squat there. Sometimes for four or five hours. We loved Fantasmic! We usually brought cards (Uno and a standard deck), and entertained ourselves for hours that way.

Never in a million years would we have dreamed of leaving our spot unoccupied.

We haven't watched F! in over 5 years (we've been busy making kids, and our first child is just now getting to be old enough to enjoy F!). I asked my wife her thought about this, and she was floored. She said she'd just move the blanket. If anyone asked, the answer would be "it was like this when we got her."

I might be willing to push blankets out of the way a bit to ensure a spot, but even today, I wouldn't dare leave my spot once it's staked out.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'm not the only one who suggested this in this thread so it's interesting that you chose to argue with my post and not the others. Anyway, if you've spent any time around people, you'll understand that something like that certainly could escalate. If someone's been "saving" their spot for five hours and you come along to take their blanket away do you really think that they won't be angry? Or that when you say "tough" they will back down? Ten to one they will either start screaming at you, they will push you and your family out of the way, or they will pursue it some other way. Someone who has staked out their spot clearly feels they are entitled to it.

I've seen fights start, inside and outside of Disneyland, for things as trivial as telling a child to quiet down, accidentally bumping into someone, etc. I once saw someone get into an argument and take the time to walk away, buy a drink and return so they could throw it in the other person's face. Taking someone's spot would make for an argument or altercation.

I was not specifically taking umbrage with your post, just checking the thread and firing off a response, so please do not take specific offense as I bear you no ill will, seriously.

Secondly, if I wasn't caught redhanded removing some blankets, I would most certainly not mention this to any angry person returning. I would simply tell them "I don't understand" (which is true as I don't understand the blanket thing), play dumb, and say if they don't stop harassing me and my family I will have a castmember call the police (if they don't leave).

I doubt the blanket squatters want to explain to the police, or castmembers, how they left their property to mark their territory like a dog pissing on a fire hydrant as it isn't on the up to do so, the squatters are hoping folks think they'll be right back when they're really gone for hours.

I would also suggest that "maybe the wind" moved the blanket.

I say wait and see if somebody comes back to the blankets, if no then remove them and if said person returns then say, "what blankets? I don't understand, but my family got here first you'll have to stop harassing us."

It is not my responsibility to get into a debae with a blanket squatter, blankets don't reserve spots anymore than bringing your own private chairs and setting them up along the river.

I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do this in real life, but there is just something plain rude about putting blankets to reserve spots for Fantasmic as not everybody, me included, feel that guests have a right to do this. Even if I'm not waiting for Fantasmic, I might be tempted to pick up a whole lot of blankets off the rails and hand them to a castmember as "lost property"!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 02-16-2013 at 07:47 PM.

I consider it to be bad form for people to leave articles in a specific spot for hours just to get a good spot for the show. If those people really want to see that show then there should be atleast one person staking it out. Like another poster said how many people have walked all over those blankets after walking all over the park all day. Who knows what they may have left on that blanket and then to have that family come back to what they think is a still clean blanket and have their infant/kid(s) crawl all over it.

So as a "tourist" should I be packing a few extra blankets on the plane with me just so I can stake out a site hours before the show starts? What I am confused about is why AP's want to see the show over and over again? Isn't once or twice a year enough? Does this only sound odd to me? The last time I saw F! was in 2005, which if I'm not mistaken was before there were so many AP's as there are now. However, it was still quiet crowded and it was just me and my girlfriend and our 4 small children (the husbands ditched us for a Dodgers game). We went to the 2nd showing and ended up sitting in the smoking section down by the water (not sure if that is still there). Luckily, there were only a few folks smoking and it wasn't crowded at all. We did not get to see the show last time we were there because the site of all the saved spaces hours before the show started was really intimidating. CM's move strollers all the time so why would they not pick up blankets? Ya'll better watch out this June! I feel like I might be moving some blankets...

Agreed!! Tourists ( and in my case from Canada) spend thousands of dollars to be there and dont have the opportunity to see fantasmic as much as the AP's ( or even see it again) Why are they allowed to simply drop a blanket and stake a spot? If you want a view stand or sit there for the 3 hours!!!! The last time I went someone put their 7 yr old child on their shoulders infront of me ( after I stood in that spot for 1.5 hrs to save it) No view for me, the nerve!!!grrrr

^The kids on the shoulders thing bugs me too. My suggestion to those people is if you really want your kid to see the show, then hold the kid in your arms so the kids eyes are at the adults eye level. I had that happen to me when I went to see the last Space Shuttle launch from the Astronaut Hall of Fame. We'd been there for hours with our special tickets, we set up our chairs and I immediately set up my tripod and moments before launch, the parents in front of us put their two year olds on their shoulders. Seeing those people do that reminds me of those people bringing their toddlers to the fair well concerts of popular bands so they could say "you were there" and then the kid has absolutely no memory of it.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So non-passholders aren't interested in seeing the show more than once?

So now we move from generalizing all pass holders to just singling out the So-Cal ones? I'm sure tyre are single day ticket holders getting a spot hours before the show as well. Some of those people may even be leaving their blankets.
    I'm sure nobody is trying to demonize AP holders. Joanna was specifically wondering about guests who see Fantasmic many times in a year, which logically would be AP holders since those are the people who visit DL many times in a year.

I also think it is fair to assume that most single-day ticket holders are not knowledgable enough to have brought a blanket, although I'm sure SOME of them are.

I think it is certainly rude for people (whoever they may be) to leave blankets, but the blame really lies with Disney for not creating a better system, especially since they have solved similar problems in their other parks (as many have mentioned with the WoC Fastpasses). You can't blame people for trying to save a spot for a show that is considered a "must-see," and it is understandable that they don't want to spend hours just sitting around when they have paid so much to get into the park.

I would never leave a blanket, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I'm just not that into Fantasmic than with my manners :P

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast