Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's up with the (former) Starcade area?

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOTresident View Post
    It should be re-themed Flynns Arcade complete with games and a retro feel (I know it's Tomorrowland)...Tie that together with a Tron based attraction/dark ride and that would be both fun and money making (recovering)...a ride que could run thru it as guests game to coin op classics....they were popular @ ElecTRONica...I like those older games regardless of how "old" the gaming is in comparison as long as it could "tie in" the theme of the ride associated with it it would be a hit...we don't want ANOTHER store to shop in...we want fun and Flynns was that..fun..so combine it with a ride and maybe it would be a hit!!...call it Encom,Flynns,Tron,Starcade...but bring it back in some fashon
    That's a cool idea.

Hopefully something will be done when/if TL gets its rumored makeover. If they can spend a billion dollars revamping DCA and adding a whole new land, they can do something great with this area.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    That's a cool idea.

Hopefully something will be done when/if TL gets its rumored makeover. If they can spend a billion dollars revamping DCA and adding a whole new land, they can do something great with this area.
    Carsland taught them a valuable lesson which was if you are going to revitalize a section of a park, you go all out, instead of piecemeal-wise, and you go for place-making on the scale of land, versus retro-fitting attractions into an already unpopular land (such as Monsters Inc. in Hollywood land).

I've heard a number of ideas for Tomorrowland from folks close to the process, kinda sad that Tony Baxter won't be in on it. Some blue sky concepts include:

1. Putting a Coruscant space port restaurant on top of the old Rocket Jets tower. Kinda unused real estate, but they'd need to fix up the sightlines on nearby roofs, but it would be a reservation sort of deal where you take the elevator up to a Star Wars/Coruscant themed eatery. If they ain't gonna move the rocket jets back, them I'm ok with this I guess. In keeping with this space port theme, the old People Mover deck would have droids and show elements for a ride utilizing the People Mover track which would load/unload where Innoventions is.

2. Coruscant speeders, basically a 6 guests car with built up plastic walls and lap bars so you can't reach out and touch anything no matter how hard to you try. The People Mover track would not need "stairs every 25 ft" because there wouldn't be dozens of guests on a section of track (like how the old People Mover could really load up guests), but in and emergency there wouldn't be that many people stuck at one time in hard to reach places. There would be a dark-ride ending segment to the ride based on the Star Wars universe.

3. Starcade and the Star port have the people mover track behind plywood, if they do the Coruscant speeders, you'd get to see the ride vehicle move by, and possibly a large Star Wars themed gift shop.

4. Tomorrowland Terrace. A bridge would be built for CM access to the restaurant on the old Rocket Jets tower, and the building would be gutted and rebuilt in a sort of Jedi Academy theme with counter service. I guess to expand upon the Jedi Training Academy show/theme.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Carsland taught them a valuable lesson which was if you are going to revitalize a section of a park, you go all out, instead of piecemeal-wise, and you go for place-making on the scale of land, versus retro-fitting attractions into an already unpopular land (such as Monsters Inc. in Hollywood land).

I've heard a number of ideas for Tomorrowland from folks close to the process, kinda sad that Tony Baxter won't be in on it. Some blue sky concepts include:

1. Putting a Coruscant space port restaurant on top of the old Rocket Jets tower. Kinda unused real estate, but they'd need to fix up the sightlines on nearby roofs, but it would be a reservation sort of deal where you take the elevator up to a Star Wars/Coruscant themed eatery. If they ain't gonna move the rocket jets back, them I'm ok with this I guess. In keeping with this space port theme, the old People Mover deck would have droids and show elements for a ride utilizing the People Mover track which would load/unload where Innoventions is.

2. Coruscant speeders, basically a 6 guests car with built up plastic walls and lap bars so you can't reach out and touch anything no matter how hard to you try. The People Mover track would not need "stairs every 25 ft" because there wouldn't be dozens of guests on a section of track (like how the old People Mover could really load up guests), but in and emergency there wouldn't be that many people stuck at one time in hard to reach places. There would be a dark-ride ending segment to the ride based on the Star Wars universe.

3. Starcade and the Star port have the people mover track behind plywood, if they do the Coruscant speeders, you'd get to see the ride vehicle move by, and possibly a large Star Wars themed gift shop.
    I am OK with this. I hope they rebuild the entire PM track from scratch... put in some nice tubular steel tracks and control the speed for some gentle banking and a nice smooth ride. Use the same ride footprint, just all-new tech for it.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    No, thank you. Ralph doesn't fit in Tomorrowland. I would much rather have a new attraction that is in-theme.
    This is what I don't get....people want to see the character because they like him....yet he can never be in Disneyland or DCA because...he doesn't fit theme...so unless they make Video Game land he can never be in the parks again?

So much for the happiest place on earth...let's just call it Theme Land where Pirates and Ghost fit New Orleans...but Video Games are not part of Tomorrow

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    So much for the happiest place on earth...let's just call it Theme Land where Pirates and Ghost fit New Orleans...but Video Games are not part of Tomorrow
    I understand your argument, but it might have been a poor choice to use Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion not fitting into New Orleans Square as your example. New Orleans has a long history of ghost folklore, not to mention the architectural stylings of the Mansion itself fit the southern plantation-style homes of the period it's portraying. As for PotC, one could argue that although the "Caribbean" might not be located in Louisiana, Jean Lafitte (who's name should ring a bell if you're familiar with the ride) was a pretty famous French pirate in the 19th century. He smuggled goods out of a port in New Orleans, and eventually was a spy in the Mexican War of Independence. So really, PotC fits the theme there just fine as well! Also fun fact, he was accused of forging letters from Davy Crockett, which sort of ties into the whole Rivers of America theme as well but that's really stretching it.

Anyway, last time I rode Space Mountain which was about a week or so ago, I noticed a row of old arcade games (presumably from the old Wreck It Ralph meet and greet) along the top floor of the Starcade, and they were all on. Downstairs you can see the progress, or lack thereof of them removing the stuff from the meet and greet. I wonder why all the games are sitting on top though? And running at that..

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

-
    I do not understand why Disney does not just open a Tron-themed arcade after the huge success of Flynn*s during ElecTRONica.

It seems a win/win situation for both theme, money intake, interactive elements, and fan appeal. Not to mention how happy Tron fans would be...and classic gamers in general.

Flynn*s was great....it would be nice to see that return in a more permanent form.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Figments Friend View Post
    -
    I do not understand why Disney does not just open a Tron-themed arcade after the huge success of Flynn*s during ElecTRONica.
    Probably so they are not blending DCA and DL. I think the complaints on here about Disney cheaply moving arcade games back and forth would be huge.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 02-18-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Hooter!

I would imagine that they aren't going to touch anything in TL until they have a concrete plan for Innovations. Based off of what I read (I have no hard evidence other than the Internet and my own take on the situation), Disneyland has seen the success that Cars Land has had (with a complete construction and design all at once) and the quasi failure of New Fantasyland at WDW (and their step-by-step approach) that I would believe that they would do a complete overhaul of TL instead of fixing anything by piece. Again, just my take.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsjed View Post
    I would imagine that they aren't going to touch anything in TL until they have a concrete plan for Innovations. Based off of what I read (I have no hard evidence other than the Internet and my own take on the situation), Disneyland has seen the success that Cars Land has had (with a complete construction and design all at once) and the quasi failure of New Fantasyland at WDW (and their step-by-step approach) that I would believe that they would do a complete overhaul of TL instead of fixing anything by piece. Again, just my take.
    Yet the major transformation of DL is happening in two phases. Fantasy Faire spring and Magic Map summer.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I understand your argument, but it might have been a poor choice to use Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion not fitting into New Orleans Square as your example. New Orleans has a long history of ghost folklore, not to mention the architectural stylings of the Mansion itself fit the southern plantation-style homes of the period it's portraying. As for PotC, one could argue that although the "Caribbean" might not be located in Louisiana, Jean Lafitte (who's name should ring a bell if you're familiar with the ride) was a pretty famous French pirate in the 19th century. He smuggled goods out of a port in New Orleans, and eventually was a spy in the Mexican War of Independence. So really, PotC fits the theme there just fine as well! Also fun fact, he was accused of forging letters from Davy Crockett, which sort of ties into the whole Rivers of America theme as well but that's really stretching it.

Anyway, last time I rode Space Mountain which was about a week or so ago, I noticed a row of old arcade games (presumably from the old Wreck It Ralph meet and greet) along the top floor of the Starcade, and they were all on. Downstairs you can see the progress, or lack thereof of them removing the stuff from the meet and greet. I wonder why all the games are sitting on top though? And running at that..
    I just think their are double standards with Disney Fans...while Pirates and HM are great attractions they are just as much fiction as Wreck it Ralph and in Tomorrowland a ride/show could fit since one day we will be able to "enter" video games so I don't see how that can not fit theme...but Ghosts and Pirates can represent New Orleans

• Hooter!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Yet the major transformation of DL is happening in two phases. Fantasy Faire spring and Magic Map summer.
    Noted, of course, but as you wrote... The major [with major being only in relativity] transformation of DL. Fantasy Faire and Magic Map are not, in my option, a major rehab of the park. I would, potentially, compare it more to opening The Little Mermaid at DCA but what will (hopefully) be done in TL would be compared to Cars Land opening.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I just think their are double standards with Disney Fans...while Pirates and HM are great attractions they are just as much fiction as Wreck it Ralph and in Tomorrowland a ride/show could fit since one day we will be able to "enter" video games so I don't see how that can not fit theme...but Ghosts and Pirates can represent New Orleans
    I see where you are coming from. The only other argument I'd raise with you is the fact that both Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion are two original attractions - as in not based off of a franchise of any sort and they fit theme perfectly. Why can't we have something original show up in Tomorrowland? I'd rather not see a Wreck It Ralph attraction (who am I kidding thinking something not movie based will take up real estate in Tomorrowland).

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Once Autotopia is gone hopefully we can get a new ride based off more "science fact" and a fun movie based ride like Tron...Ralph or Ironman

As much as I get how an attraction being build from ground up can be some of our best rides...I have to say rides like Splash, Racers and Tot...disagree that movies based rides if done right can be amazing and classic's too

• Parking Lot > DCA

As much as I get how an attraction being build from ground up can be some of our best rides...I have to say rides like Splash, Racers and Tot...disagree that movies based rides if done right can be amazing and classic's too
    I agree.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I wouldn't call the new Mickey show a "major transformation".
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast