View Poll Results: 'a bug's land'

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's time to build something better

41 41.84%
  • Let's wait and get a few more years out of it

16 16.33%
  • No, keep it. It would be a waste of money to take it out now.

9 9.18%
  • No, I love it. I'd be disappointed to see it go.

26 26.53%
  • No, I think it needs to be expanded!

4 4.08%
  • Move it to one of the Disney hotels.

2 2.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: bug's land: Should I stay or should I go?

I personally think Bug's Land has its charm but I voted for it to be expanded. To me it feels like the land needs more breathing room to make it better.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

They should only remove Bug's Land if they replace it with something even better for that age demographic. It is necessary for there to be things for kids under 4 to do at DCA.

I remember when our daughter was 3 1/2 and we wanted so badly to take her on Soarin'. The first CM let us through, but down the ramp the second CM said she was just a little too short. We headed over to Bug's Land and let her ride everything and run through the water. If it weren't for Bug's Land there would have been almost nothing for her to do in DCA.

• Just this guy......

I will say that I'm a bit burnt out on large area being torn out at the moment after the past few years of construction around the DCA. I would not love see Bug's Land improved with better quality rides without changing it's size too much.

• Minion

DCA dosen't or shouldn't need a dedicated 'kiddie land'. Every attraction in Fantasyland (except the Matterhorn) is suitable for young children, but is not labeled a kiddie land. Disney can build things suitable for the whole family, something which A Bugs Land is not. Disney can do better than A Bugs Land with creating rides for small children.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So far a majority are for eventually replacing it.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Lightbulb Re: bug's land: Should I stay or should I go?

I have mixed feelings about "a bug's land." On one hand, I would like to see it saved, but changed up a bit. I would save "It's Tough To Be A Bug" and Hemlich's Chew Chew Train. I would also save Fancis' Ladybug Boogie, but relocate it to where Flik's Flyers are and remove that ride altogether. I would then remove Tuck & Roll's attraction and use that pad and Francis' former pad for an all-new attraction that is more in line with something all families can enjoy. Perhaps a dark ride like the classic Fantasyland dark rides. Something of C-ticket status. If possible, I would also try to add a small eatery in the land. Perhaps something of the size of Bengal BBQ in Adventureland. However, this eatery would rely primarily on vegetarian options.

On the other hand, the area of "a bug's land" is just big enough that it could house one really big new attraction for Hollywood Land or Cars Land, or a couple of smaller sized attractions for the aforementioned lands. If "a bug's land" were to be removed, I would save "It's Tough To Be A Bug!." I would then rezone it to Hollywood Land with the entrance leading from there to the theatre. Perhaps remove the Disney Junior building and create the entry for "It's Tough To Be A Bug!" in that pad? (I'd have to look at a map to see the real logistics of this. I'm just coming up with this off the top of my head.) The show could fit with the Hollywood theme. Although, maybe not the era the land is trying to convey.

It will be interesting to see what the fate of "a bug's land" ends up becoming.

- Joe "Quacky4Donald" Nielsen

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Although film based attractions (Star Tours and Soarin' excepted) tend to not draw repeat visitors - I don't watch "It's Tough to Be A Bug" unless somebody in my group has never done it - I agree, this attraction could stay even if the rest of the land were cleared.

• Queen Elsa

I say keep it. That place was made for the little kids not for us big kids. They need some rides that they can go on without beeing ask how tall they are or not old enough to go on. Besides that place is a good place to cool down in during the hot Summer times with the trees they have in that land.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

While it is a very nicely themed area and great for little ones, it is also one of the weakest of the Pixar films. I say, take it out, but you might hear a lot of "KEEP IT!" from those with small children.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Original Mice-Chatter

I love the fountains- my kids and I glued ourselves to the giant hose base and got drenched last October. It was SO hot and it felt SO good.

I don't care if a small part of DCA is dedicated to little people- I have the rest of it to play in- so no, I don't think it should be torn down.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

But it totally goes against the "whole family together" aspect that Walt built the parks for.

Sitting around, eating peanuts, while the little ones play... That just goes against what the place used to stand for.

But we're so used to the kiddie ride invasion that nobody gives it much thought anymore, which is just sad.

I just don't think this lives up to the "Disney" park name. As a carnival attached to the hotels, why not. But it's not very Disneyland to me.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    But it totally goes against the "whole family together" aspect that Walt built the parks for.
    I understand the argument here, and I don't necessarily disagree, but just to play Devil's advocate, couldn't you say the same things for attractions with a high height restriction and/or scary subject matter (i.e. California Screamin', Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Adventure, Space Mountain, etc.)? In that case you have the kids sitting on the sidelines (with one adult staying behind, I'd hope) while the adults ride the rides.

In a way, the Bug's Land attractions are more universal than the more popular thrill attractions because the adults can still ride them and even enjoy them (I kind of adore Heimlich's Chew-Chew train for whatever reason). They're just not made for adults as the primary audience.

All that being said, yes, I agree, there's a lot more they could have done that would have been more clever than yet another spinner ride, a tea cups knock off, and world's most tame bumper cars. It would have been nice to have a real "must-see" attraction for the land to balance out the kiddie fare.

In fact, I'm going to propose an idea that's absolutely in contrast to what most other people are suggesting: keep Flick's Fun Fair more or less as is and kill It's Tough to Be a Bug. That occupies a larger footprint and at this point 3D shows are kind of played out. Replace it with something more timeless and more appealing to a wide audience. That would be a nice counter balance to the kiddie stuff in the rest of the land.

After all, you don't hear too many people griping about the "kiddie" attractions in Cars Land because RSR and the general theme of the area are good enough to balance it out.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The "C" tickets at Carsland aren't THAT kiddie though, I went on it even though the tire ride was lame.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Just wanted to mention-the "kids" I went with who thought Bugs Land was a fun place were 12, 19 and 20 when we were there.

I believe that parents can ride pretty much all the Bugs Land rides with their little ones- if you are going to insist on ONLY family rides then you'll have to lose rides like ToT or Screamin'

want that trade off?? Not I....

• Sock Puppet

I love Bug's Land! I think it's charming and I go with or without my children to walk through the fountains or ride Heimlich's Chew-Chew train. It's wonderfully themed and I love being there from dusk till dark hearing the loud chirping of crickets. I vote to keep it around a couple more years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast