View Poll Results: 'a bug's land'

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's time to build something better

41 41.84%
  • Let's wait and get a few more years out of it

16 16.33%
  • No, keep it. It would be a waste of money to take it out now.

9 9.18%
  • No, I love it. I'd be disappointed to see it go.

26 26.53%
  • No, I think it needs to be expanded!

4 4.08%
  • Move it to one of the Disney hotels.

2 2.04%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

bug's land: Should I stay or should I go?

Now that the DCA expansion "Phase 1" has been completed, should Disney redevelop this area and the rest of the former parking lot behind Cars Land and Tower of Terror?

• Filmmaker

Re: bug's land: Should I stay or should I go?

At this point I think I would rather have them focus on plussing Hollywoodland instead of adding a whole new land. It feels distinctly like they ran out of time/budget before they could really do a lot with Hollywood Pictures Backlot and it's the most DCA 1.0 feeling section of the park.

In a few years, though, it would certainly be a possibility. Personally, I like the theming of a bug's land quite a bit, and it's one of my favorite places to take pictures, but it also features some of the weakest attractions in the park. It makes sense to cut it, but it'd still make me a bit sad to see it go.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

As you walk down Hollywood Blvd., everything on your left can go, too. Bulldoze it, remodel it, or something in between. But it's almost blocked off like an annex. But so is 'a bug's land' - I manage to visit DCA without ever stumbling through, it's a bit out of the way.

• i believe in faeries.

i appreciate it for what it is: a little area dedicated to kiddie rides, in a place where there are a lot height restrictions on a lot of rides. i don't feel the need to go on anything unless i am with small kids, however.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I realize some people like it for what it is, that's why I vote to move it to PP Hotel or DL Hotel.

• Minion

I vote to remove it entirely to be made into something better.

• a damsel not in distress

i vote to leave it, just because it's an area that my niece and nephew love and i appreciate the details and shade.

but, i'm curious: how do you propose they move a themed land to a hotel?

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's just a handful of carnival rides and some trees, it could be moved quite easily.

Over at Disneyland park, I believe they relocated and repositioned Dumbo, Alice and the Carousel for the new Fantasyland in the 80's.

Free entry to hotel guests and those with valid DL or DCA admission. A weenie to attract you to the restaurants and eventually to book a stay at the hotels.

Only because it's bought and paid for, otherwise they could ship it to DHS or Shanghai.

•   
    • Minion

I say keep it. I actually think it adds to the park. It's always full of families and is theme well too. I enjoy the area even though I don't go on the attractions. It's a good transition space and honestly I couldn't see a better use for that space it isn't that big. Trying to demolish that and incorporate the space behind ToT would make a odd shaped land IMO. You could reshape A bugs land to transition to the area behind ToT though.

One thing about the area behind ToT i have read/heard before Disney owns the whole bottom right corner of that square. meaning the two hotels and 7-11 area etc. If they did that could be a huge future expansion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't think they own that land, or else the power lines would have extended back further.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    At this point I think I would rather have them focus on plussing Hollywoodland instead of adding a whole new land. It feels distinctly like they ran out of time/budget before they could really do a lot with Hollywood Pictures Backlot and it's the most DCA 1.0 feeling section of the park.
    I agree with this. Hollywood Land is really a sore thumb and desperately needs some attention, and should probably relieve that attention before "a bug's land."

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    i appreciate it for what it is: a little area dedicated to kiddie rides, in a place where there are a lot height restrictions on a lot of rides. i don't feel the need to go on anything unless i am with small kids, however.
    I don't agree with the "it's good because it's for little kids" argument. Why can't the attractions by interesting, well-designed, and immersive while still being for "little kids"? The Fantasyland rides achieve this well, so why can't we strive for that in DCA?

• The doctor is in

I have never explored Bug's Land but I wouldn't be opposed to it being bulldozed or moved. I never thought Bug's Life was that great or popular of a movie to begin with. I would use the space for something better.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Every so often this thread comes up, and every so often people need to remember the entire demographic at the park.

Would I personally cry if the land was taken out or banished to some other part of the resort, no, although I would miss the fairly entertaining "tough to be a bug" show.

That being said on most summer days that area is PACKED with small children and their families, even during our trip in december it was tough to get through the area when the parks were in full swing. Yes the rides may not appeal so much to us grown up disney visitors, but the area is extremely popular with young families.

I saw this in 2009 and thought the theming was just gorgeous. It was a hot day and Dot's fountains felt fabulous; the four-year-old in me (not with me, but my inner four-year-old) was ecstatic over rides I was tall enough to ride, and my senior inner ears enjoyed it as well.

But the idea of moving it to the hotels appeals as well, especially if they could incorporate a miniature golf course like in the olden days...

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It's a great themed area, but it really is not the standard we've come to know and love with Disney. I'd rather they be able to build a great ride like Pirates, something timeless, then keep it. Obviously keep it if the replacement isn't worth it, but if something better comes along, TEAR IT DOWN!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast