Imagineering an improved Disneyland experience for you!

I love Disney parks, especially Disneyland, but I feel that there are things where they can be improved. That's where this thread comes in: it's devoted to anything I would do if I could improve the Disneyland experience. I'll put up my ideas later, so stay tuned.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Imagineering an improved Disneyland experience for you!

I think some people have said in a pervious post that they want a cloud effect on the roof of Small world
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

More fairies and put in some unicorns!

• Under that tree again!

Clean more, paint more.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• ~

In general, I think the park could benefit from more originality, more regard for theme, more care for the original vision of Disneyland, and more immersive experiences that open the gates for imagination, which means less franchises, less repetition of the Universal formula, and less "kiddification" and "mallifcation" of the park.

In particular, Disney really needs to turn their attention to Tomorrowland and right all the wrongs of Tomorrowland '98. In DCA, despite all the recent work, there is still a long list of things that need attention--primarily in Hollywood Land, which seems like a confused jumble of franchise, characters, and time periods. These are the two projects that I would like to see Disney tackle next, ideally, with the intent to actually create something unique, original, and innovative in each of the lands that will help enhance each of their respective parks as a whole.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Redo Tomorrowland for starters. Make Indiana Jones actually work. Take out any and all movie references from PoTC. Make the fountains in Fantasmic better. DONT make a Marvel attraction. Take out our Tower of Terror and replace it with a large, more Florida-like version while still maintaining some features from the current DCA version such as the mirror scene. Take out Toontown and expand Fantasyland. Remove Autopia, Inoventions and the Subs and build a new E-Ticket attraction in the space, perhaps a California version of Mission: Space. Make the AA figures on the jungle cruise better. Remove Aladdins Oasis and expand the Jungle Cruise with the space and most importantly, DO NOT let any NextGen crap enter the park.

Rather than an exhaustive list of everything under the sun, I'll list my top 5 "Easy" and top five 5 "Difficult" improvements....

"Easy" fixes:

1. Return to land-specific merchandise
    2. Remove the rocks from the entrance of Tomorrowland
    3. Use the Indy queue as it was intended
    4. Return the Treehouse to the Swiss Family Robinson
    5. Reopen Fort Wilderness

"Hard" fixes:

1. Close Tomorrowland for a year or two and overhaul the whole thing (like they did with Fantasyland back in the '80s)
    2. Add Geyser Mountain to Frontierland
    3. Overhaul the Grand Canyon/Primeval World dioramas
    4. Add a thrill ride to Critter Country that will drive more traffic back to that area of the park
    5. Remove Toontown and make that Marvelland

Now, onto my own ideas for Disneyland! Tomorrowland will be overhauled, but more on that later.

First, Main Street will receive the least amount of updates, but it will have some updates nevertheless. Everything will be generally cleaned up and freshened up, and the merchandise will now again reflect only the names of the store establishments rather than just have everything in the same shops. The one exception is the Emporium, obviously.

Meanwhile, the Main Street Cinema will now have a brand-new set of Disney cartoons. The only one left intact will be "Steamboat Willie". The rest of the cartoons, like "Steamboat Willie", will all have something in common: the debut cartoons of classic Disney characters or series in question. "Steamboat Willie" obviously is the premier debut of Mickey and Minnie Mouse. The other five cartoons therefore will be "Mickey's Revue" (first appearance of Goofy), "The Chain Gang" (first appearance of Pluto), "The Wise Little Hen" (first appearance of Donald Duck), "Don Donald" (first appearance of Daisy Duck) and "The Skeleton Dance" (the first Silly Symphony cartoon). As in the past, these cartoons will all be black and white and deprived of sound. The ragtime music will be the same as usual:

By retaining "Steamboat Willie", the main marquee seen from the street bearing the title will be the same. Also, "Steamboat Willie" itself will be changed. The version seen today continues to be an edited version which removes Mickey playing with a mother pig's nipples to make her squeal so he can make music. But now, that scene will be restored.

Other than that, though, Main Street will be pretty much as it is right now.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

As you enter Adventureland, even before passing below the entrance sign, if you look directly to your left, you will see the waiting area for the Enchanted Tiki Room. This will be among the first of the many attractions to receive some improvements. Much of it will be just for show than for anything technical.

The preshow area with the Enchanted Tiki Garden will receive some new lighting, which lights up on each of the Tiki gods as they each take their turns speaking. This will be mostly the case at night, so you can see the Tikis better. Also, all the drum beats heard between each of the Tiki gods' monologues will be taken out, save for the long drumming at the very end as you enter the show building. Before entering the show building, part, but not all, of the safety spiel, which had been recently removed, is restored (the part on not carrying food and drink into the show is dropped), so that now it will be like this:

"Wahine makune mana, ladies and gentlemen, a small reminder before entering the Tiki Room: we ask you to refrain from smoking inside, and no flashbulbs, please. Our performers are temperamental and easily upset. Thank you for your cooperation. And now, ladies and gentlemen, come with us, to a world of joyous song and wondrous miracles: Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room."

And then you go into the show itself. It will remain the same, but with improved effects and more up-to-date technology. This means a new 3D sound system and a new lighting arrangement will be implemented alongside tune-ups and complete remodels for every single animatronic to make them fluid, more realistic (while keeping their magical charm), and to rid of that clacking sound they make while singing. The windows are now redone to resemble the windows recently added to the Tiki Room in Florida with a brilliant thunderstorm effect to boot. But the Disneyland show goes the WDW version one better with a new effect: from outside the window, the storm that happens at the end of the Hawaiian War Chant can be seen from outside the windows, gathering and intensifying (lightning and all) as the War Chant intensifies. As the music reaches its crescendo, the clouds finally obscure the sky outside and then the crash from the storm is heard. Then, as Michael says, "But, me buckos, every cloud has a silver line," the sky clears up. This effect should add a new dimension to the classic show and should be a new surprise to those who grew up on the old show.

More to come! Thoughts, comments, concerns?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    As you enter Adventureland, even before passing below the entrance sign, if you look directly to your left, you will see the waiting area for the Enchanted Tiki Room. This will be among the first of the many attractions to receive some improvements. Much of it will be just for show than for anything technical.

The preshow area with the Enchanted Tiki Garden will receive some new lighting, which lights up on each of the Tiki gods as they each take their turns speaking. This will be mostly the case at night, so you can see the Tikis better. Also, all the drum beats heard between each of the Tiki gods' monologues will be taken out, save for the long drumming at the very end as you enter the show building. Before entering the show building, part, but not all, of the safety spiel, which had been recently removed, is restored (the part on not carrying food and drink into the show is dropped), so that now it will be like this:

"Wahine makune mana, ladies and gentlemen, a small reminder before entering the Tiki Room: we ask you to refrain from smoking inside, and no flashbulbs, please. Our performers are temperamental and easily upset. Thank you for your cooperation. And now, ladies and gentlemen, come with us, to a world of joyous song and wondrous miracles: Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room."

And then you go into the show itself. It will remain the same, but with improved effects and more up-to-date technology. This means a new 3D sound system and a new lighting arrangement will be implemented alongside tune-ups and complete remodels for every single animatronic to make them fluid, more realistic (while keeping their magical charm), and to rid of that clacking sound they make while singing. The windows are now redone to resemble the windows recently added to the Tiki Room in Florida with a brilliant thunderstorm effect to boot. But the Disneyland show goes the WDW version one better with a new effect: from outside the window, the storm that happens at the end of the Hawaiian War Chant can be seen from outside the windows, gathering and intensifying (lightning and all) as the War Chant intensifies. As the music reaches its crescendo, the clouds finally obscure the sky outside and then the crash from the storm is heard. Then, as Michael says, "But, me buckos, every cloud has a silver line," the sky clears up. This effect should add a new dimension to the classic show and should be a new surprise to those who grew up on the old show.

Loving it, loving it. Can't wait for more.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• Senior Minion

Well imagined and well written!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

I love Disney parks, especially Disneyland, but I feel that there are things where they can be improved. That's where this thread comes in: it's devoted to anything I would do if I could improve the Disneyland experience. I'll put up my ideas later, so stay tuned.
    Who gets the credit for the improvement if they actually do something that's posted in this thread? We should enact a policy.

My proposed policy: anything that anyone posts on MiceChat that could be used by Disney is considered public domain. that means Disney can use it, and no one here can claim credit (meaning sue for monetary compensation).

Everyone agree? If not, then we shouldn't post our ideas here. Because it means Disney will NEVER implement it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Well imagined and well written!
    Thanks.

I will now continue on, to New Orleans Square and to one of my most favorite of Disneyland attractions, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Several things are going to be tweaked, some of it to restore some old ride dialog. Also, the characters from the Pirates movies will be simplified. The characters themselves will remain, but they will just conveniently be seen in the ride. But more on that shortly.

The changes begin almost immediately after departing Laffite's Landing in your bateaux. First, there is the part with the geezer rocking on the porch of his houseboat while "Oh Susanna" is heard playing on an unseen banjo. According to Jason Surrell's very good book on the ride (and the movies), there were actually two banjo tunes recorded, the second being "Camptown Races", but for some reason, only "Oh Susanna" is actually heard. I will change all that, however, for this update.

So then, after going down the waterfalls into the skeleton-strewn grottos, where you hear the usual ghostly wail of "Dead men tell no tales!", and going through Hurricane Lagoon (the name of the scene with the pirate skeleton at the ship steering wheel in a storm), you then float through the usual scenes of the Crew's and Captain's Quarters and the treasure cave. Here, you hear the return of some old dialog, the "No fear have ye of evil curses" dialog by Paul Frees. It would actually be set up like how it was set up when the ride was previewed on the Wonderful World of Color TV show, like so (at around 1:27):

And in fact, it may be how it is in Tokyo Disneyland's version, too, although I'm not too sure, since it's in Japanese.

Leaving this set of scenes, you go through the dark tunnel and through the waterfall screen with Blackbeard in it. He is in the fourth movie, but is (or at least was) also referenced in the ride. Then you go out into the Bombarding the Fort scene. Here, you see Barbossa on the Wicked Wench. However, he is no longer after both Captain Jack Sparrow and the town's treasure. He is now only after the treasure. Thus his dialog will be edited accordingly. If done right, there won't be any need to have Geoffrey Rush come in and do a whole new dialog track.

From here, you then go into the scene of Mayor Carlos being dunked into the well. Again, the dialog is revised so that the pirates are only after the treasure as before. As such, the dialog will be reverted back to before 2006 ("Speak up, ya bilge rat! Where be the treasure?", etc.). Then you go past Captain Jack Sparrow nearby between here and the usual Auction scene.

Then the Chase scene is shown. Now, this is tweaked big time, and it may or may not cause a controversy. It is basically reverted to non-P.C. The changes begin as you enter. In a sort of throwback to the post-1997 version, you see Captain Jack Sparrow again as he tries to have a green apple, but trying to snatch it away from a hungry horse that keeps reaching out for a bite. Meanwhile, you see that the Chase scene has been revised back to its old pre-1997 self: the pirates once again chase the women and the Pooped Pirate talks about hoisting his colors on the likes of that shy little wench in the barrel. You then go through the Burning Town scene, where the pirates sing the ride's main theme song, "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me)". Here, something will be changed: the fire effect, which will be updated somehow, but will no longer be merely glowing flapping curtains.

From there, the ride pretty much follows the rest of its course as usual, through the Jail and Arsenal scenes. As you make your way up the waterfall, after passing by Capt. Jack Sparrow amid all the ill-gotten riches he found, the dialog by Davy Jones is gone. And then, at the top of the waterfall, you travel through the waterway that wraps around the beach with the parrot and the treasure chest on it and back to Laffite's Landing, where you disembark from the ride. So ends all the tweaks to one of Disneyland's icons, Pirates of the Caribbean.

More to come!

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight