Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The best and worst queues

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    i think there is a bigger picture that is not being seen with the matterhorn queue. I think it is one of the most creative that disney has come up with. The queue is the mountain itself. There is no other mountain at disneyland where you are able to circle the entire mountain from that close. It gives you an angle where you can really experience the forced perspective of the design. Standing there at that angle it really gives you a sense that the mountain is just enourmous. I think that it really builds the anticipation for the ride.
    this!
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    See, I disagree with this point. I think both attraction buildings fit perfectly with the theme of Paradise Pier; anything else would be gaudy and distracting. For evoking a specific time and place (namely a romantic, victorian style seaside amusement park) the do their jobs really well.

WDW has the more elaborate queues, definitely, but more elaborate does not always equal better. There's an elegant simplicity to the exterior of both attractions and the magic is in the little details. The ground up seashells in the pavement of The Little Mermaid; Mr. Potatohead functioning as a proper boardwalk barker, drawing people in from outside the attraction rather than hidden away inside; the repurposed King Triton statue from the old King Triton's Garden area; the tile mural under the rotunda; etc.

The exterior of The Little Mermaid is quite fantastic, in my opinion, and Toy Story Midway Mania is pretty great as well. My biggest issue with TSMM is that most of the queue is in the direct sun with very little shade, and there's no option for FastPass to help aleviate this problem.
    Though I think TSMM is ugly (just because the rollercoaster is surrounding it and it's not shaded) I do agree that the building for TLM is really nice and lends itself well to a nice queue, plus the view you get of Paradise Pier while waiting is beautiful. The WDW queue is super cool and elaborate, but I don't think there's anything wrong with DCA's either.

• The doctor is in

I like the Toy Story queue. I think it fits the theme of a boardwalk attraction rather well and once you get past the non-shaded chains there are the game posters and stuff. You also have the animatronic Mr. Potato Head which is awesome. It seems like people are just complaining that it isn't shaded which isn't a valid argument, imo. There are several non shaded queues such as Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mountain, a majority of Space Mountain, It's a Small World, etc.. On a sunny day being in line for any of those rides can be uncomfortable.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

To judge the queues, I have to somewhat judge the experience the ride holds AND how long I have to stay in it.
    For example, Screamin' isn't a beautiful queue by any means, but it's a boardwalk roller coaster. It does its purpose, it goes by super fast and it reminds me of being at Six Flags back when I actually liked being at Six Flags.
    Then there's Toy Story Midway Mania, which I absolutely loathe. It's such a small area that you stay in forever with nothing to look at and then you go in that hot little hallway. I think if I only had to stay in the line for 15 minutes, it would be suitable but for 45 minutes, there really needs to be a little extra to look at.
    Another odd example, the Fantasyland dark rides. Their queues don't have anything special about them but they're super quick. I also think there's a bit of charm to their simplicity and craft. Like the wood on Peter Pan, the stone for Snow White, etc..

So with that said, here's the best and worst according to me:

BEST -
    1) Indiana Jones Adventure (without a doubt, best queue in history)
    2) Star Tours (the theme is really sold in here, plus I just love Star Wars)
    3) Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin (another great queue, but it lasts a bit too long)

Honorable Mentions -
    Tower of Terror (great detail, it feels like a real hotel but there's just WAY too many stand stills, and I dislike the outside portion)
    Monsters Inc (outside portion seems very bus terminalish, which fits, and the inside portion has a lot to read and look out, although it could be a bit more Pixar-y)

WORST -
    1) Toy Story Midway Mania (small area, hot in hallway, forever long stand stills)
    2) Radiator Springs Racers (worst place to be when it's hotter than hell, always a long line not to mention it's various breakdowns, and plus I just hate Cars in general - this is coming from someone who's ONLY ridden in single rider, so I can't imagine the absolute dread it must be to be in the actual line)
    3) Soarin (Such a miserable line, and I hate it even though I only go on it with Fastpass. It takes FOREVER in the outside portion, FOREVER on the inside and then FOREVER watching the pre-show video. UGGGGGH)

Dishonorable Mentions -
    Haunted Mansion (I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but I wish there was a way to skip the pre-show elements after seeing it so many times. The only time I enjoy this line is for the holiday overlay)
    Finding Nemo (I hardly ever ride this, but the line goes fairly slow and there ain't much design. However, it is my favorite night sight in the park with the lagoon water, the Monorail lights, and all of those elements blending together to make beautiful scenery in the evening)

•   
    • Minion

My Top 5 in random order:

- Jungle Cruise
    - Buzz Lightyear (I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned - the animatronic Buzz is great, and even when you're outside you have a nice view of the fountains at Pixie Hollow)
    - Indy
    - Roger Rabbit
    - Luigi's (and most of it is inside and/or in the shade! YAY)

Least favorite:
    - Peter Pan
    - Autopia
    - Nemo
    - Splash Mountain
    - Toy Story MM

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I sort of mentioned Peter Pan in my list of worst queues. I just said every ride in Fantasyland.

The best queue in Fantasyland, and it isn't saying much, is Snow White but that isn't until you get into the tight brick corner where you see the dungeon. The rest of the line is similar to the other rides.
    Lol yes this is very very true, but the only reason Peter Pan gets my award for worst is that the line is never short whereas it is pretty easy to find a time of the day where the other fantasyland rides are walk on

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    ^ Well said x2! I haven't been on TSMM for a while, so I can't comment on its queue, but I completely agree with these points about TLM's queue (as well as Pirate's and Haunted Mansion's). It's beautifully constructed with elegant little details and fits the theme of the pier perfectly. Although MK's queue is much more elaborate and extensive (and quite frankly, from the pictures and videos I've seen, better designed and more immersive than the actual ride), it would not have complimented the pier's theme. I'm very happy with the facade and queue of DCA's version. The attraction itself is another story, but focusing solely on the queue, I quite like what we have.
    The thing that I dont get about the GIGANTIC queue that was built for TLM at MK is that it never has a line. I mean the the longest I've waited for TLM was the summer it opened and it went through the entire queue and it was only 10 mins. The line for that ride is gonna die down just like it has in DCA and then most people will never spend the time to appreciate the great detail in the queue.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    Lol yes this is very very true, but the only reason Peter Pan gets my award for worst is that the line is never short whereas it is pretty easy to find a time of the day where the other fantasyland rides are walk on
    That is true. You can walk on Pinocchio and Snow White and endure maybe a 20min wait for Mr. Toad but no matter what Peter Pan is 45-60min.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I have to miss most queues because of a mobility scooter in the family, but have always like Indy and the Tiki Room. The worst for me is Autopia - even though I do like the talking cars inside the building.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123