Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69
  1. #16

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    The OP is not talking about numbers or things to do. Universal Orlando is about to take Disney's position as best quality theme park entertainment. They have some huge new expansions taking place, being planned, and most of which haven't even been formally announced yet. Meanwhile what has Disney (land or World) done...?

  2. #17

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The OP is not talking about numbers or things to do. Universal Orlando is about to take Disney's position as best quality theme park entertainment. They have some huge new expansions taking place, being planned, and most of which haven't even been formally announced yet. Meanwhile what has Disney (land or World) done...?
    You're kidding right? Carsland and Buena Vista was what? Nothing? Avatar coming to DAK (regardless if you agree with it or not). They are expanding and you're acting like nothing has (or will happen).
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    I love both Disney and Universal. As a huge film fan, I was amazed during my first Universal trip, and I'm still amazed. I love that place. Saying that, I'm all for Universal stepping their game up. I'm very excited for the new additions coming to USH and I couldn't be more excited. Disney should continue to duke it out, for the sake of their fans.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  4. #19

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Between USO which I went to last year verus DLR to me it's not even close. USO is a great resort but still has a while to go to catch DLR. I am sure there are plans for DLR that we do not yet know. With a D23 convention coming I would suspect a announcement then but who knows.

    Now if you want to talk WdW and USO I still give the nod to WdW but USO is on the rise there and I feel WdW does need to step their game up. WdW still gets my money over USO but I make sure to visit USO everytime I go at least for 2 days since Potter opened.

    I think someone mentioned there is no advertising precence for DLR nationally. that's a easy answer though they aren't trying to pull in people nationally because they don't need to. I believe disney is ok with people in the east going to WdW and the west going to DLR.

  5. #20

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,943
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Well here in CA anyway people dream of going to Potterland..but Disneyland is soo much cheaper then flying...hotel rooms...etc...that really they settle with Disneyland...the real test will be when Potter makes his way over to our Universal

  6. #21

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    You're kidding right? Carsland and Buena Vista was what? Nothing? Avatar coming to DAK (regardless if you agree with it or not). They are expanding and you're acting like nothing has (or will happen).
    Um...no I'm not kidding. Carsland and BVS were great...what's next though? While Carsland was about on par with the WWOHP, Disneyland has no counterpart to the HP expansion, the rumored JP expansion, the addition of a huge E-ticket like Transformers, or the re-theming of existing spaces such as the Springfield project. Not to mention a rumored KidZone refurb and IoA lagoon show. My post was completely logical, so don't go disagreeing about things you don't have all the information regarding.

  7. #22

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Um...no I'm not kidding. Carsland and BVS were great...what's next though? While Carsland was about on par with the WWOHP, Disneyland has no counterpart to the HP expansion, the rumored JP expansion, the addition of a huge E-ticket like Transformers, or the re-theming of existing spaces such as the Springfield project. Not to mention a rumored KidZone refurb and IoA lagoon show. My post was completely logical, so don't go disagreeing about things you don't have all the information regarding.
    The Disneyland Resort doesn't need to worry about USO. That's WDW's job. The DLR needs to worry about USH, and their plans are different from USO's plans.

    We don't what Disney has planned. We just have to wait and see, and not come to conclusions. Just because they haven't announced anything doesn't mean nothing's planned for the future.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  8. #23

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,461

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Um...no I'm not kidding. Carsland and BVS were great...what's next though? While Carsland was about on par with the WWOHP, Disneyland has no counterpart to the HP expansion, the rumored JP expansion, the addition of a huge E-ticket like Transformers, or the re-theming of existing spaces such as the Springfield project. Not to mention a rumored KidZone refurb and IoA lagoon show. My post was completely logical, so don't go disagreeing about things you don't have all the information regarding.
    In that respect DLR had pulled way, way ahead, extending its lead over USO. USO is still playing catchup and DLR is still moving ahead.

    DLR, added, a lagoon show called WoC, it rethemed most of a park, it opened two E tickets RSR and TSMM, it's retheaming a couple attractions that will host a few thousand guests a day.

    Then over at WDW they added a couple hotels and are adding another, DVC afterall are resort visitor beds. The best thing is Disney owns and operates all of these. It has had for ages a lagoon show. Then it added a huge attraction, restaurant and is adding another.

    The case is not that one place is stagnate and the other is not.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  9. #24

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    143

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    i agree with swampymarsh, what the DLR has done the last five years for dca has been remarkable. TSM carsland BVS.. and oh yeaa probably the most amazing night time show.. i think its called World of color. ya i dont see universal topping that anytime soon.

  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In that respect DLR had pulled way, way ahead, extending its lead over USO. USO is still playing catchup and DLR is still moving ahead.

    DLR, added, a lagoon show called WoC, it rethemed most of a park, it opened two E tickets RSR and TSMM, it's retheaming a couple attractions that will host a few thousand guests a day.

    Then over at WDW they added a couple hotels and are adding another, DVC afterall are resort visitor beds. The best thing is Disney owns and operates all of these. It has had for ages a lagoon show. Then it added a huge attraction, restaurant and is adding another.

    The case is not that one place is stagnate and the other is not.
    which is exactly why the OP suggested USO was taking over ​the DLR's spot as second-best resort (next to WDW). It's not about competition it's about ranking.

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    230

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure are awesome, but no.

  12. #27

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Um...no I'm not kidding. Carsland and BVS were great...what's next though? While Carsland was about on par with the WWOHP, Disneyland has no counterpart to the HP expansion, the rumored JP expansion, the addition of a huge E-ticket like Transformers, or the re-theming of existing spaces such as the Springfield project. Not to mention a rumored KidZone refurb and IoA lagoon show. My post was completely logical, so don't go disagreeing about things you don't have all the information regarding.
    This screams "What have you done for me lately?" In that regards, you're going to be severely disappointed no matter who does what. They just spent 2 billion dollars fixing DCA and your reaction is "Hey that's great, but what's next"?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  13. #28

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    437

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    USO built a massive land,potter, which is even more successful than Carsland, added a nighttime show to the lagoon at the studios park, replaced an old ride with Despicable me, and added Simpsons ride. That was a pretty massive investment as well.

    Now, what do both resorts have coming up in the next 2 years.
    Lets see.

    DLR=fantasy faire princess meet and greet.

    USO= A huge e-ticket in Transformers.
    A new potter themed train to pass from 1 park to the other.
    Another huge potter expansion with yet another HUGE e-ticket attraction
    in Gringotts bank.
    Another huge resort Hotel curently under construction.

    Those are definite additions, not to even mention the Jurassic Park expansion rumors.


    Look, we can play the " we dont know what Disney has planned for DLR", game but lets be honest here, when was the last time disney built ANYTHING that we werent getting clues and rumors abpout at least 2 years in advance.

    We are getting strong clues and rumors about Carsland for WDW and a huge expansion for DtD and they are still working on Fantasyland and just finished a brand new Hotel resort and shortly prior to that, new DVC towers.

    There are NO solid rumors about ANYTHING at DLR for the coming years.

    People keep talking about Carsland and buena Vista as if DCA and DLR was the only resort spending money and now its understandable for them to not have any further additions for the next few years.

    I bet both USO and WDW spent pretty close to the same amount of money that was spent on DLR within that same timeframe.

    dont forget that WDW got both Midway mania and little Mermaid as well.

    Yet, DLR is the only resort with basically nothing planned for the next few years, and now it looks like the big addition for DL's 65 will be a parade.

    The DCA makeover was about getting DCA up to where it should have been already. they did that and now they should be moving forward aggresively, the way USO and WDW seem to be setting themselves up for.

  14. #29

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    USO built a massive land,potter, which is even more successful than Carsland, added a nighttime show to the lagoon at the studios park, replaced an old ride with Despicable me, and added Simpsons ride. That was a pretty massive investment as well.

    Now, what do both resorts have coming up in the next 2 years.
    Lets see.

    DLR=fantasy faire princess meet and greet.

    USO= A huge e-ticket in Transformers.
    A new potter themed train to pass from 1 park to the other.
    Another huge potter expansion with yet another HUGE e-ticket attraction
    in Gringotts bank.
    Another huge resort Hotel curently under construction.

    Those are definite additions, not to even mention the Jurassic Park expansion rumors.


    Look, we can play the " we dont know what Disney has planned for DLR", game but lets be honest here, when was the last time disney built ANYTHING that we werent getting clues and rumors abpout at least 2 years in advance.

    We are getting strong clues and rumors about Carsland for WDW and a huge expansion for DtD and they are still working on Fantasyland and just finished a brand new Hotel resort and shortly prior to that, new DVC towers.

    There are NO solid rumors about ANYTHING at DLR for the coming years.

    People keep talking about Carsland and buena Vista as if DCA and DLR was the only resort spending money and now its understandable for them to not have any further additions for the next few years.

    I bet both USO and WDW spent pretty close to the same amount of money that was spent on DLR within that same timeframe.

    dont forget that WDW got both Midway mania and little Mermaid as well.

    Yet, DLR is the only resort with basically nothing planned for the next few years, and now it looks like the big addition for DL's 65 will be a parade.

    The DCA makeover was about getting DCA up to where it should have been already. they did that and now they should be moving forward aggresively, the way USO and WDW seem to be setting themselves up for.
    Once again, we're just going to have to wait and see. Who cares if there aren't any clues? That automatically means nothing's going on?

    I don't know why you keep mentioning WDW. New Fantasyland isn't anything special and more DVC and a new hotel is not exciting, IMO.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  15. #30

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    This screams "What have you done for me lately?" In that regards, you're going to be severely disappointed no matter who does what. They just spent 2 billion dollars fixing DCA and your reaction is "Hey that's great, but what's next"?
    There was also a resort-wide renovation at USO during that time; like planodisney said, a new nighttime show, parade, ride, and overall refurbishments to several areas with the addition of Potter which was a massive success, moreso than Carsland. While Disney is kicking back, USO keeps going, with no sign of slowing down. And solid rumors and announcements beat nothing, because even if Disney is up to something, their lack of progress means it'll be behind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Universal Orlando increases the parking fee
    By KingEric in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM
  2. The Aging Plague of Universal Orlando
    By EPCOT1982 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 12:23 PM
  3. The Aging Plague of Universal Orlando
    By EPCOT1982 in forum Universal Studios Florida
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 12:23 PM
  4. The Blues Brothers Perform at Universal Orlando
    By kcnole in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •