Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Has Universal Orlando passed DLR as the #2 theme park resort in the U.S.?

I am not even realy talking about quality, but more in terms of scope, future outlook and awareness by the general public.

In terms of size, I think it has passed DLR. Future outlook, it isnt even close. They have expanded just as much if not more so thatDLR in the last 5 years, and while DLR has absolutely no development plans for the resort in the near future, USO is alrealy undergoing another massive expansion with a huge e-ticket with Transformers, another new land with the expansion of Potter into the studios park and are currently building another huge hotel resort. With the addition of Potter and extent of national advertising they do, I think USO has absolutely passed DLR in terms of national awareness.
    I thought the one chance DLR had of realy making a huge impact in terms of its national awareness was the rumored Marvel 3rd gate or a 3rd gate with a large Marvel presence. It doesnt look like Disney has any intention of any kind of further major development to DLR in the next decade and I think DLR will be left in the dust by the constant growth and development at USO and WDW. WDW is finishing up Fantasyland with what looks like a realy great ride in Seven Dwarfs coaster, Carsland expansion into Hollywood studios, the massive expansion and reemagineering of DtD and then possible Avatarland at Animal kingdom.

DLR has the awesome Fantasy Faire to look forward to.

I keep hearing that they just finished a huge expansion so you cant expect anything new for a long time, but the other resorts have had huge expansions as well and arent stopping.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Has universal orlando passed dlr as the #2 theme park resort in the u.s.

Are you serious?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

This kind of made me chuckle. I think the total opposite. DLR is STILL the flagship of Disney parks. With just the Carsland expansion opened I believe that DLR has much more planned that we just don't know about.

hmmmm, just because disney hasn't announced anything doesn't mean that DLR doesn't have a bright future. sure universal caught up a lot, probably the closest they have ever been to disney, but still is a ways away from the overall experience that disney creates. but just talking in terms on DLR ,you know they do have a whole parking lot that they could easily buld a 3 park on. and you know in the future they will do something with TL and there is a lot of room to build around the small world area, and as well as over in frontierland. has disney announced anything yet ? noooo but will they? knowing disney yesss they will. the DLR is the best its ever been. and it looks like it has a bright future.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Are you serious?
    Swear, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Member of Baxter's Army

Don't know about DLR but if they are not careful it should surpass WDW soon.

No, the best resort as far as volume and notoriety is WDW. The second is DLR. Universal Orlando has done some nice things but to be honest I am not a huge fan of Transformers that I saw in Hollywood since it is not unlike an inferior version of Spiderman, which is a great ride.

Universal is sort of like Disneyland in a way. It doesn't appear like there is a lot of room to build another park. Or at least I don't think so. The thing about them is that they tend to rip out the core of their park a little too fast and not allow any nostalgia or old rides to kind of get passed down from generation to generation. Jaws is gone and while the Potter expansion is a plus the truth is they do things that Disney doesn't, which is tear away from their past.

No, DLR has not been surpassed by Universal Orlando. Never will be I don't think.

Developement rate does not mean USO is on pace to surpass DLR. They are just merely trying to make themselves relevant finally. Universal has a looooong way to go before they can even touch Disney in terms of brand recognition, loyalty, and quality.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think USO is as widely known as you might think. Pretty much everyone I know out here in CA has no burning desire to go there, not because they think CA is better but IMO because without it being a working studio it is just another amusement park, with nothing other than Harry Potter to make it special. And even then most people here really aren't that interested. Note that I am talking about ordinary people and not people who are obsessed with Disney or theme parks in general.

• Certified in everything

DLR saw 22.4 million folks in 2011, while USO saw 13.7 million. While I do think the resorts are apt for comparison due to a number of factors, the numbers don't lie. What I do think is interesting is that you've asked for the biggest "resort". That may be closer to true seeing as the DLR sees a larger local tourist population than USO. Also of note: IOA beat DCA attendance-wise in 2011 (these numbers will be interesting to see after Carsland).

Where I think you are right is with respect to future outlook. USO has several exciting projects coming up in the future while Disney really doesn't have much new announced for the DLR (though they just opened Carsland and to their credit may not have announced future projects yet). Still, we have to give USO credit for being ambitious with what they plan to do in the next 5 years... and so far DLR has no counter (and an extra 35 years under its belt).

The dismissive tone with respect to Universal is something to expect with these boards especially, but I don't think they get enough credit for their product. Many who are quick to dismiss Universal have never been to their Florida parks, and only compare the DLR to Uni's west-coast product. Moreover, Universal gets faulted all of the time by west-coasters for being themed like a studio, and thus not being immersive... Tough-luck guys, they were a movie studio first. Look to IOA and Singapore for what they can do when that studio restriction is removed.

In sum, no USO has not surpassed the DLR as a resort... but given their planned future hotel and theme park expansions, especially compared to the DLR, they are not to be ignored.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Dead men tell no tales.

While WDW is struggling to bring more guests in despite the new fantasyland. Whereas the expansion of DCA brought the daily attendance of DCA almost on par, some days even exceeding the daily attendance of DLR. DL is in no trouble at all, it's WDW we should be worried about.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

USO really shouldn't be compared with the DLR. It really doesn't make much sense to do so. USO's main competition is WDW, not the DLR.

The main competitor to the DLR would be USH. Being a locals park the DLR needs to worry much more about them and even Knotts and Magic Miountain for that matter. Worrying about USO does the DLR abdolutely no good. What is happening in DL's back hard has a much greater impact than anything USO is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    Developement rate does not mean USO is on pace to surpass DLR. They are just merely trying to make themselves relevant finally. Universal has a looooong way to go before they can even touch Disney in terms of brand recognition, loyalty, and quality.
    Brand recognition? Sure.

Loyalty? It appears so.

Quality? Ehh... not so much. Have you been to WDW lately?

• Banned User

Numbers and quality actually dont have anything to do with the question i was pondering.
    I do think that USO is becomming, if it hasnt already, more nationally relevant than DLR.
    Largely because of 2 factors. potter, and there massive national advertising campaign. DLR has virtually no advertising presence east of the rockies and there Is a good percentage of the population who dont even know DLR exists. many people just assume Disneyland is another term for Disneyworld.
    Im not bragging about this as some USO loyalist or anything. I love DLR.
    however, i think there complete non interest in doing anything with the gardenwalk sell and the 2 pieces of property where the new suite hotels are being built, that would have made great locations for a DVC or new resort hotel, says volumes about Disneys lack of future plans for DLR.

Also, anyone who can say" Are you serious", to this question, has definitely not been to Universal orland in the last year and sean what the resort has become and the amount of current expansion still taking place. I think sometimes that people who live on the west coast dont realize just how little people in the wrest of the country are aware of the DLR. At least where i live, dallas, universal, and potter, are WAAAAAYYYY more in the forefront of peoples minds than the DLR.
    I think its a shame because disney realy makes no attempt to market DLR to us here.
    I also dont understand, with Anaheims occupancy numbers, the failure to build but "1" hotel in the last 50 years.
    heck, Universal orlando has 3 huge hotel resorts and is currently building another massive one.
    Even USH has 2 or 3 hotels planned for its upcomming massive expansion.
    I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Brand recognition? Sure.

Loyalty? It appears so.

Quality? Ehh... not so much. Have you been to WDW lately?
    WDW does have some pretty shotty areas and attractions I agree. But there is still so much more at the WDW resort due to its massive size, that it still has many attractions that are on par or superior to anything at a Universal Park. Also, Universal parks bank on the "new" and "now" to attract guests, Disney understands nostalgia and uses it to garner loyalty and repeat business. I do not feel any magic at a Universal park, everything I used to love at their parks have been torn down and something new and not necessarily better has taken their place.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast