Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: why doesnt Disney own a wooden roller coaster ????

All I can think of is the space. They take up tons of space.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Sorry to be the one to say this, but this is Disneyland not Six Flags or Cedar Fair. No really, where would it be at theme wised? If it was in Frontierland it would need to be themed to a train going over wooden bridges and most would be through mountains and cliffs to keep it in the setting. I don't think they made trains travel only on wooden bridges. Also it might be to similar to BTM. Here is a pic of a very big wooden bridge but it would only be a small section of a coaster.

California Screamin' was the perfect place for a wooden coaster but they build it out of steel, that tries to mimic a wooden coaster.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

To all those saying that a wood coaster cant have a story:

the lost coasters ride system is amazing. such tight turns and dips makes that woody style a perfect match for a theming a story line to..

• Master of Suspense

In regards to California Screamin' being converted to a real woodie, keep in mind that woodies are much more expensive and take up more space in California when compared to the east coast. Which is why we don't have many here. Because of our frequent earthquakes, wooden coasters require much more wood for supports here. Look at woodies in California and you see much more buttressing, which is more expensive, and would take up a lot more space on Paradise Pier.

"To Serve Man... it's a cookbook!!!"

Ever heard of the dyslexic man who sold his soul to Santa?

I've personally gone on the wooden coaster Gwazi at Busch Gardens in Tampa. I love coasters but that one really gave your body a beating. Almost too much. The thing with Disneyland is that they don't exactly have the atmosphere for a rollercoaster. It doesn't fit well anywhere. California Screamin does alright because it is set in a land where it fits as sort of a carnival setting. It can get by. In Disneyland a wooden can't get by. It would remind me of what Universal did in Orlando when they added the Hollywood Rip Rocket coaster. That thing is an eyesore in a park that relies a lot on theming. It takes up a ton of space too. Sometimes you just have to seperate a theme park from an actual amusement style park.

The biggest issue with wooden coasters is the copious amounts of maintenance required.

• i believe in faeries.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey11 View Post
    Hell, lots of people still see a wooden coaster and think they are unsafe simply because its made of wood..
    i am totally one of those poeple.

• Artistic integrity

I'm surprised the very first response wasn't:

Disney does not do - Ordinary, Typical, what people would Normally expect in an amusement/theme park.

Instead of creating the "ordinary" ... Disney would disguise it ... to be in a dark building .. looking like a rocket journey in outerspace. Or mountainous terrain surrounding it .. as an out-of-control mine train. Or in a swiss mountain ... during the winter months.

Screamin' .. is the exception ... After all ... look at the genesis of "DCA 1.0". Build it as cheaply as possible, and throw the "Disney" nameplate at the front entrance.

If anyone wants to know just how tacky and awful a woody roller coaster would look like in a "magic kingdom" park ... just look at old photos of Japan's Nara Dreamland!

There ... they dared to give audiences ... what would normally be thrown in an amusement park. And look at where it's at now --- CLOSED FOREVER.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-03-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    But..... considering this thread is in the DISNEYLAND forums and Disneyland is in southern California, an area that doesn't see a lot of rain compared to central Florida...
    Psyclone at Six Flags would be a good example of a woody gone wrong in SoCal. The ride dynamics were never the same after Northridge (but I believe I heard that the earthquake was only part of the problem...).

• MaliBOOMer

Wooden Roller Coasters can be super fun! They don't have to go as fast to be thrilling. However I don't see how it would fit in super well. I guess for a wooden coaster you will have to make the 10 minute drive to Knotts.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

I think it would be nice to have a Wooden "Gig Dipper" Roller Coaster in California Adventure in the midway / boardwalk section... which plays tribute to the Giant Dipper on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk or it could play tribute to the older Coasters that use to dominate the midways back in the 1930s.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    I've personally gone on the wooden coaster Gwazi at Busch Gardens in Tampa. I love coasters but that one really gave your body a beating. Almost too much.
    That's my issue with them. I've been on a lot of wooden roller coasters, like the Cyclone in NYC and they really do beat you up a lot. California Screamin' looks enough like a wooden coaster to fit in on the Pier, and it won't leave you with back pain or a headache the way a real wooden one does. As others have mentioned, there's expensive upkeep on wooden coasters. Also, a lot of the appeal of the remaining wooden coasters is in their historical value - so nothing Disney built could have the same significance as the Cyclone, the Dragon Coaster or the Giant Dipper.

• Super Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfilmboy View Post
    It's very unlikely for Disney to ever build a wooden roller coaster. Firstly, wooden coasters are expensive to maintain. Workers must walk the entire track and check each bolt.

Also, wooden coasters can easily turn brutal after a few years in operation. Don't believe me? Just drive down 1-4 to Busch Gardens and hop on Gwazi. Doesn't bod well in the constant Florida rain.
    Don't forget Termites.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    To all those saying that a wood coaster cant have a story:

I WANT THIS at Disneyland...OMG that would be such a fun type of coaster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12