Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Eek Opp Ork Ah Ha

Re: What show should replace Aladdin

Peter Pan

• film975

I agree that whatever replaces Aladdin shouldn't be a Disney property that's already on stage somewhere else. But it's gonna be tough to decide on what that production will be since Aladdin sets the bar pretty high. Maybe it's time to shut down the Hyperion Theater and replace it with a new E-Ticket ride. I think Hollywood Land could really use another one.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SemiCircle View Post
    Peter Pan
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    I'm a sucker for a good pirate show.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MickeySmurfette24 View Post
    How about a clone of Animal Kingdom show, Finding Nemo: The Musical. The Show will replace Aladdin at Disney California Adventure. I think, the facade will retheme into a 1920's theatre, to fit in a 1920's Hollywood area.
    I saw Nemo when i went to Disney world over the summer honestly i dident really like it I think we should bring something unique to the park! possibly a musical for Toy Story!!!!

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    I saw Nemo when i went to Disney world over the summer honestly i dident really like it I think we should bring something unique to the park! possibly a musical for Toy Story!!!!
    Sorry but that will never happen. Disney announced back in 2010 or 2011 I think that the Toy Story Musical from the Disney Cruise Ships was going to replace Aladdin at the Hyperion Theater. There was such a public outcry against it that Disney cancelled those plans. In fact, the Genie made a joke about it during his "Friend Like Me" number. I got a video of it below. Which begins at 3:12

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

As long as its as good as Aladdin then I dont what it is

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Nothing, its fine.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Sorry but that will never happen. Disney announced back in 2010 or 2011 I think that the Toy Story Musical from the Disney Cruise Ships was going to replace Aladdin at the Hyperion Theater. There was such a public outcry against it that Disney cancelled those plans. In fact, the Genie made a joke about it during his "Friend Like Me" number. I got a video of it below. Which begins at 3:12

Beautiful!

I personally don't make it down to the parks very often nor do I see Aladdin every time I visit DCA, so the show doesn't seem stale to me yet--it still leaves me a wonderfully sweet taste each time that I see it. The quality is superb--the acting is always energetic, the jokes are always hilarious, and the overall scale of the show is always awe-inspiring. However, I haven't and wouldn't want to see it without the flying carpet and considering that it still hasn't been fixed (to my knowledge), it might be a sign that the time has come for a new show--given that said show maintains the standards of quality set by Aladdin.

As for what should replace it, I'm thinking another classic fairy tale. I would ideally like to see something based in the Golden Age of Hollywood, but coming up with an original stage show seems risky. I don't know if Disney could pull that off as well as they could adapting one of their feature films. And that's really fine. I think that if they re-did the facade and added a lobby with lots of atmosphere that conveyed the sense of 1930's Hollywood, that would be enough. Something to make the Guests believe that they are back in time at a glamorous theater in Hollywood's Golden Age, about to see a stunning theatrical performance. As far as what features could be adapted, I would say something based in a time pre-1930's, so that it makes sense chronologically in the land. That really only excludes Pixar features and a select few from the Walt Disney Animation Studios. I think the rest are fair game, though I would personally love to see something Walt-era, as that would, once again, make the most sense chronologically in the land, but I don't think that's extremely important as choosing a work based in a time pre-1930's is.

One of my top choices, based on ideas that people have thrown around, would have be Fantasia. They could even imagine up new segments to new selections of classical music, designed specifically for the stage show. There's lots of room for imagination and innovation. I'd be curious to see what they could dream up and create. Other possibilities that I could see working well are Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Tangled.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Here is my ranking, top being the best bet!

- Mary Poppins
    - The Little Mermaid, I saw this in Denver and loved it. Wonder if they kept those fantastic sets.
    - Something better quality than, Steps in time

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    . . . the show doesn't seem stale to me yet--it still leaves me a wonderfully sweet taste each time that I see it. The quality is superb--the acting is always energetic, the jokes are always hilarious, and the overall scale of the show is always awe-inspiring. However, I haven't and wouldn't want to see it without the flying carpet and considering that it still hasn't been fixed (to my knowledge), it might be a sign that the time has come for a new show--given that said show maintains the standards of quality set by Aladdin.

As for what should replace it, I'm thinking another classic fairy tale. I would ideally like to see something based in the Golden Age of Hollywood, but coming up with an original stage show seems risky. I don't know if Disney could pull that off as well as they could adapting one of their feature films. And that's really fine. I think that if they re-did the facade and added a lobby with lots of atmosphere that conveyed the sense of 1930's Hollywood, that would be enough. Something to make the Guests believe that they are back in time at a glamorous theater in Hollywood's Golden Age. . .
    I'm sticking with a 40-minute version of "The Lion King" for ten years followed by Mary Poppins,

but

I saw an impressive "Singin' in the Rain" on stage in London that (if it were 40 minutes) would fit with some of your suggestions, Gatheringrosebuds. It's a musical about Hollywood, and I think a fast-paced version with "Moses Supposes," "Good Morning!," "Make 'Em Laugh" and "Singin' in the Rain" could work well.

Film 975's idea of replacing "Aladdin" with an E-ticket ride isn't bad, but the Broadway-scale "Aladdin" is even more special than another ride would be--it's an E-ticket show. For many guests it's their first big theater experience. I saw it yesterday at 2:20 and it was excellent. (Best Iago I've ever seen!) It's one of those features of DCA like RSR, Soarin', and World of Color that allows Disney to argue that the high admission prices are justified. (The Golden Horseshoe Revue used to make guests like me feel this way.) Since Broadway shows can be $150 for the seats like the ones I sometimes get at Hyperion, I feel like I'm getting about $40 (Xs 3 with my daughter & wife) worth of entertainment for the abridged "Aladdin."

Currently "A Whole New World" just needs Aladdin and Jasmine on stage on a carpet above the fog throughout the whole song. I've no problem with a Peter Pan or Mary Poppins flying above an audience, but that carpet flipped, and if it did it again and cast members died, Disney would not be forgiven by everyone. So I don't want that amazing flying carpet to return. But what they have now for the first half of "A Whole New World" is just strange and stupid. Still it's only about 2 minutes of an otherwise excellent show.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-24-2013 at 06:38 PM.

• New Member Goes Forth

Personally, at th moment, the Aladdin show is great, and the script is freshened every years with modern touches. This makes it a great, but if i had to change it, I would have be Tangled, or Beauty an the Beast
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

A brand new production of The Jungle Book directed by the visionary Mary Zimmerman is opening in Chicago later this season. Depending on how that turns out, it could be an interesting option.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I would like to see something new playing at the Hyperion. When they revamp the Hollywood backlot, that would be the perfect time to roll out a new show.

My two top picks would be Mary Poppins or Tangled. If they could figure out how to do the lantern scene in Tangled so that there would be lanterns floating around above the audience - that would be beautiful. I'm not sure that Tangled would be feasible with Rapunzel's long hair, though. Another one I would love to see is Cinderella. Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, and the Lion King would all be good possibilities as well.

• Evil is Sexy

I'd want to see something they don't already have in some kind of live theatre-form.

Sleeping Beauty
    Brave
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Pinocchio
    Treasure Island
    Alice in Wonderland (Though might be odd with Mad T)
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    Robin Hood

Any number of their intellectual property could make for a great show.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Banned User

The Little Mermaid does NOT have a strong fan base on broadway. it was a disaster. I personally think Hunchback would be a great test, since they're so worried about putting it on Broadway. Beauty and the Beast or Lion King will always guarantee a hit, but they make a ton of money of the broadway show and national tours of both, so I doubt they put them anywhere for free. Tangled, to me is too okay, but I wouldn't be thrilled. Just isn't a classic to me. Not a fan or CGI. Finding Nemo was horribly reviewed and I'm all for no more Pixar representation in DCA.

Whatever they get, I just hope it's not as sloppy technically as Aladdin:

His random ability to fly across the stage, "all I gotta do is jump".
    The poor switching from stunt doubles to leads.
    the ropes clearly visible going into the pit before the Genie comes out and before the snake.
    the trapdoors visible if you're not sitting in the orchestra.
    The toy that flies away with a miniature Aladdin and Jasmine on it, before A Whole New World, that always gets a laugh and yet they keep it in. Those things have the show hardly watchable for me, because they're all avoidable and do nothing to help the show. I know I'm in the minority, but still..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast