Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 105
  1. #31

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    ^that would definitely be ideal (and ditches the working studio angle)

  2. #32

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,387

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    As said, Universal Studios Hollywood is a legit working movie studio, but that's the only thing that's truly authentic. The Studio Backlot Tour is actually several attractions rolled into one (Jaws, King Kong 360, etc). It's a combination tour mixed with a sampling of the latest movie making magic (king kong 360 is the largest 3D experience in the world for instance).

    The rest of the park is a complete mess. You have a great looking Flintstone's diner in stone's throw of a Shrek experience and a Simpsons ride disguised as Krusty Land. And there's also Doc Brown's Fried Chicken in the midst of it all with Curious George's water play area next to that.



    DCA made the horrible mistake of attempting a backlot theme when it should stop and think that the magic of movies is NEVER the process of making it. Sure, it seems like magic in these behind-the-scenes specials but there's nothing magical about sound stages.

    Disneyland is a true celebration of the magic of the movies. Walt knew this. He had real set decorators and designers and animators create these lands and build them for real.

    For the Disney Company to back track of Walt's genius and theme things the way Universal did was a mistake and it shows at Disney's Hollywood Studios park.


    With the now Hollywood Land, we have a very confused land in that it wants to be the golden age time-period wise... but it also wants to celebrate the current marketing arm of the Disney studios.



    HERE'S WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE REMOVED or REDESIGNED
    -MUPPET VISION 3D
    -MONSTERS, INC: MIKE & SULLEY TO THE RESCUE!
    -HOLLYWOOD & DINE building
    -HYPERION THEATER
    -FAIRFAX MARKET & STAGE
    -Soundstage next to Muppets
    -Outdoor Merch location


    That's the majority of the land really. We need a weenie at the end of the street so they really need to redesign the Hyperion theater so that it's a special place for their stage productions. There needs to be a better transition toward the Hollywood Tower Hotel as well because the side of the Animation building is a depressing facade.

    Everything else is pretty much open for a complete redesign.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  3. #33

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Sound stages ARE magical, for a lot of people, including me.

    I can't stand the word "magical", by the way.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  4. #34

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,387

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Sound stages ARE magical, for a lot of people, including me.

    I can't stand the word "magical", by the way.

    Yah, I'm gonna disagree with you. Sound Stages are where people WORK. It's just as exciting as a Mission Tortilla Factory. The movie-making happen INSIDE the sound stages not outside... and there's nothing visually exciting about seeing a row of sound stages neither.

    Walking down the Warner Bros lot or the Disney lot, there's something special about really being there. For a park to recreate a fake environment that creates fake environments is not what Disneyland is or should be about.

    Sound Stages don't belong in a Disney Park because Disney is great at transporting guests to another realm. A realm that is timeless. A realm that cannot be achieved by driving up the freeway. A realm that is IN the movies; not the process of making them.

    Tokyo's Monsters Inc ride, though in the wrong land, actually takes you to the Monsters Inc factory. The one in CA? It's a hot set. To add insult to injury, the ride in tokyo is full of actual animatronics with moving lips and everything.

    Star Tours in CA makes you play along that you're really in a space port flying into space on a luxury transport. The one in FL is another hot set... it may as well be called Star Wars the Ride.

    Sound stages aren't magical.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  5. #35

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yah, I'm gonna disagree with you. Sound Stages are where people WORK. It's just as exciting as a Mission Tortilla Factory. The movie-making happen INSIDE the sound stages not outside... and there's nothing visually exciting about seeing a row of sound stages neither.

    Walking down the Warner Bros lot or the Disney lot, there's something special about really being there. For a park to recreate a fake environment that creates fake environments is not what Disneyland is or should be about.

    Sound Stages don't belong in a Disney Park because Disney is great at transporting guests to another realm. A realm that is timeless. A realm that cannot be achieved by driving up the freeway. A realm that is IN the movies; not the process of making them.

    Tokyo's Monsters Inc ride, though in the wrong land, actually takes you to the Monsters Inc factory. The one in CA? It's a hot set. To add insult to injury, the ride in tokyo is full of actual animatronics with moving lips and everything.

    Star Tours in CA makes you play along that you're really in a space port flying into space on a luxury transport. The one in FL is another hot set... it may as well be called Star Wars the Ride.

    Sound stages aren't magical.
    I will disagree with you again, I believe sound stages are magical. I like them. It doesn't mean you have to, of course.

    Just because I like sound stages, it doesn't mean I want them in parks. I'm against a studios park for Disney, since they just can't seem to get the concept right.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  6. #36

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Tokyo's Monsters Inc ride, though in the wrong land, actually takes you to the Monsters Inc factory. The one in CA? It's a hot set. To add insult to injury, the ride in tokyo is full of actual animatronics with moving lips and everything.
    Although I agree that the technology (e.g. non-advanced animatronics) behind Monsters Inc. is lacking compared to Tokyo's, I would argue that Monsters Inc. does take you into the world of Monstropolis. Forget the lack of advance AA's or elaborate sets, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has cardboard cutouts and still manages to be a good ride, that's not what defines the success of an attraction's ability to draw Guests into its story and be immersive. I feel like I am in Monstropolis when I ride that attraction, the world surrounds me and I am experiencing it in real time. You do go through the restaurant, through the streets of Monstropolis, through the factory, through its room filled with the doors. There's dialogue directed directly at you and sets that surround you, enforcing the world of Monstroplois everywhere that you look. I feel like it's much more immersive and effective at drawing the Guest into its world than, say, TLM, and that its ability to do so is pretty much at the level of some of the Fantasyland attractions. Is it technologically advanced or anything particularly new? No. Does it fit the land? No. Is it the best it could be? No. Do I think my liking it excuses those flaws? Nope, and I do think it should eventually be replaced with something that better compliments the theme of Hollywood Land. But I do think that it is pretty immersive and for that reason, I enjoy every ride that I experience it.

  7. #37

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,387

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I will disagree with you again, I believe sound stages are magical. I like them. It doesn't mean you have to, of course.

    Just because I like sound stages, it doesn't mean I want them in parks. I'm against a studios park for Disney, since they just can't seem to get the concept right.
    Fair enough. But having been in a sound stage for hours, I expect to get paid to be in one, not pay to see a fake one in a theme park. I go to Disneyland to get away from all that.



    Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Although I agree that the technology (e.g. non-advanced animatronics) behind Monsters Inc. is lacking compared to Tokyo's, I would argue that Monsters Inc. does take you into the world of Monstropolis. Forget the lack of advance AA's or elaborate sets, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride has cardboard cutouts and still manages to be a good ride, that's not what defines the success of an attraction's ability to draw Guests into its story and be immersive. I feel like I am in Monstropolis when I ride that attraction, the world surrounds me and I am experiencing it in real time. You do go through the restaurant, through the streets of Monstropolis, through the factory, through its room filled with the doors. There's dialogue directed directly at you and sets that surround you, enforcing the world of Monstroplois everywhere that you look. I feel like it's much more immersive and effective at drawing the Guest into its world than, say, TLM, and that its ability to do so is pretty much at the level of some of the Fantasyland attractions. Is it technologically advanced or anything particularly new? No. Does it fit the land? No. Is it the best it could be? No. Do I think my liking it excuses those flaws? Nope, and I do think it should eventually be replaced with something that better compliments the theme of Hollywood Land. But I do think that it is pretty immersive and for that reason, I enjoy every ride that I experience it.
    It's completely fine to like a ride, but for me, the Disney experience is much more than just a ride and that includes the design of the exterior, queue, and beyond. I happen to love Mr. Toad's because it's simply just a fun little adventure. Having the exterior adds to the magic of it. Same applies to most all the Fantasyland dark rides AND Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

    Mike & Sulley to the Rescue is an adequate "ride" but because of how it was put together with a "hot set" exterior and a very plain queue, it fails to measure up to the status of Disney Attraction 100%.


    That, ultimately, is the problem with the "studios" theme. It allows imagineers to be lazy in designing an environment that seamlessly blends from one side to the other. In a studio theme park, things clash and collide for no other reason than that they are based on the movies. And that, my friends, isn't a real theme.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #38

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    So now that you're on board, do you have any ideas for how Disney could beat Uni at this game? Because with Harry Potter coming, they're probably going to revamp the whole USH theme park, no?

  9. #39

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So now that you're on board, do you have any ideas for how Disney could beat Uni at this game? Because with Harry Potter coming, they're probably going to revamp the whole USH theme park, no?
    I honestly don't think Disney can beat USH at something like that, something they've been doing since the sixties. Whatever Disney comes up with, it just needs to be really interesting. If it's very interesting and super cool, Disney will be fine. I think Disney should create a quality Hollywoodland, not to compete with USH, but to do it because it's necessary.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  10. #40

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    There's just so much space that's underutilized on the north part of the land.

    Muppets was old before it was cloned; it's one of Eisner's babies and while it was well done in that it combines live actors and film, the story is super weak and annoying.

    Moving along - empty soundstage from Millionaire - nuff said.

    Monster's: the ride is OK but it hardly fits the 1930's Golden Age steps away. Especially the façade which repurposed an earlier façade.

    Shuttered Food Court in another soundstage - reopen it or convert it!

    Then a lame stage and empty space and the false front backside of the supposedly real Hollywood Blvd. What is the story?

    Bulldoze all of it please, don't feel constrained to use these buildings as is.

    Disney you created the box, time to think outside of it!

  11. #41

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I honestly don't think Disney can beat USH at something like that, something they've been doing since the sixties. Whatever Disney comes up with, it just needs to be really interesting. If it's very interesting and super cool, Disney will be fine. I think Disney should create a quality Hollywoodland, not to compete with USH, but to do it because it's necessary.
    The sixties?? Universal Studios has been around since the 20's! And even so, Disneyland was never meant to be a studio. Maybe they could pull off a successful USH competitor if they opened it up at the Burbank studio but in Anaheim, no, the backlot theme should go.

  12. #42

    • Filmmaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Jordan, UT
    Posts
    285

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Muppets was old before it was cloned; it's one of Eisner's babies and while it was well done in that it combines live actors and film, the story is super weak and annoying.
    I'm sorry, but I have to firmly align myself with the crowd that says Muppet*Vision is sacred. It's the final Muppets project that Jim Henson directed before his death, so that in and of itself carries a huge amount of weight, but aside from that, it's a really clever, funny, and well made film that still holds up today. By all means, enhance some effects, and spruce the place up a bit, but I'll lay down in front of a bulldozer for that attraction.

    I'll be the first to say that 3D attractions are old hat at this point, but Muppet*Vision is a classic, and I'll be devastated if it goes.

  13. #43

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The sixties?? Universal Studios has been around since the 20's! And even so, Disneyland was never meant to be a studio. Maybe they could pull off a successful USH competitor if they opened it up at the Burbank studio but in Anaheim, no, the backlot theme should go.
    Even earlier, since 1912.

    I'm talking about the theme park aspect of Universal. I believe the theme park opened in 1964, or something like that.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  14. #44

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    I say they tear all of Hollywoodland down and start over. It's really my least favorite land in all of DCA. Heck, in the entire resort. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that land.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  15. #45

    • Goofy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    in wonderland.
    Posts
    20,653

    Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

    no threat to universal studios at all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] Which Is the Superior Park, DCA or Universal Studios, Hollywood?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
  2. Universal Studios Hollywood history?
    By Hobo_n in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM
  3. Want to be in Fear Factor Live at Universal Studios Hollywood?
    By Darkbeer in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
  4. Universal Studios Hollywood - The Mummy's Revenge
    By MegarooFifi in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •