Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• ~

Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's completely fine to like a ride, but for me, the Disney experience is much more than just a ride and that includes the design of the exterior, queue, and beyond. I happen to love Mr. Toad's because it's simply just a fun little adventure. Having the exterior adds to the magic of it. Same applies to most all the Fantasyland dark rides AND Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

Mike & Sulley to the Rescue is an adequate "ride" but because of how it was put together with a "hot set" exterior and a very plain queue, it fails to measure up to the status of Disney Attraction 100%.

That, ultimately, is the problem with the "studios" theme. It allows imagineers to be lazy in designing an environment that seamlessly blends from one side to the other. In a studio theme park, things clash and collide for no other reason than that they are based on the movies. And that, my friends, isn't a real theme.
    Ah, I see what you were getting at there! I agree with all of the above. I'm not one to typically defend mediocrity in Disneyland, but I would have to disagree that the attraction itself--not the queue/facade-- doesn't take you into the world of Monstropolis. Because, as I mentioned above, it does for me, and since it's the only recent dark ride that I can say that for (I can't really say so for Pooh and I really can't say so for TLM), I do like to give it that little bit of praise and appreciation. But if we are talking about the experience as a whole (which, admittedly, is what should be looked at anyways) and especially if we're talking about the facade and what the attraction does for its surroundings, then, well, I would agree in a heartbeat that it demonstrates all the problems of Hollywood Land.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Even earlier, since 1912.

I'm talking about the theme park aspect of Universal. I believe the theme park opened in 1964, or something like that.
    Tours of the studio started in the 20's, which is what I was talking about.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Tours of the studio started in the 20's, which is what I was talking about.
    The tours started earlier than that.

We're talking about two different things, so...
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well unless Disney is planning to shoot silent movies and charge 25 cents per person (brown bag lunch included) to be in the audience, it's not going to compete with THAT Universal Tour -- circa 1920's.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How much is Universal spending on their "Evolution"? And how much of that is going to Harry Potter and the rest of the theme park? It's going to enjoy a newfound popularity that will make DCA 2.0 and Carsland look like nothing, because in addition to all the new visitors for Harry Potter, being refreshed, Universal Studios Hollywood is one park that many locals may not have felt a need to visit for years, decades even. Even if they're not massive Harry Potter fans, the "new" Universal will be a draw in and of itself to relive moments on the Tram Tour PLUS "see this new Harry Potter thing".

Disney should focus on it's Hollywood Land as the next part of it's own evolution.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How much is Universal spending on their "Evolution"? And how much of that is going to Harry Potter and the rest of the theme park? It's going to enjoy a newfound popularity that will make DCA 2.0 and Carsland look like nothing, because in addition to all the new visitors for Harry Potter, being refreshed, Universal Studios Hollywood is one park that many locals may not have felt a need to visit for years, decades even. Even if they're not massive Harry Potter fans, the "new" Universal will be a draw in and of itself to relive moments on the Tram Tour PLUS "see this new Harry Potter thing".

Disney should focus on it's Hollywood Land as the next part of it's own evolution.

The problem with USH is that it's landlocked and there's barely any room for expansion without taking out considerable chunks of existing attractions. It will never be the resort destination that DL is, and can only be a day park at best because it doesn't have the room to entertain people for any more than that. WWOHP will be a great addition and will spark people's interest but only for a day I think. DL is still an actual vacation destination (well, to more of an extent than USH).

While USF is taking Disney visitors that's because they have so many things to do and more room to expand (they are currently building a new hotel with cheaper rates than their pre-exisitng deluxe hotels). I doubt that will ever be the case with USH though. I think DL can rest easy. Even if they did have to compete with something, Hollywoodland doesn't need to be the way to go--people will get bored with two Universal-type theme park experiences.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

NBC Universal Evolution

By "EVOLUTION" I mean this expansion plan, recently approved by LA City and County.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Disney should place much more emphasis on expanding the attraction appeal at Hollywood Land for many reasons. The Hyperion Theater, Twilight Zone ToT, Red Car Trolley, cheaply put togeher Monsters ride and aging Muppet Theater are pretty much all that it has to offer. It needs an indoor coaster, Mickey's PhilHarmagic: 3D Theater, a big water ride, a multi-tech experience ride like Potter, a trackless dark ride, an interactive ride like Spiderman or Transformers, and an outdoor coaster that has a backwards traveling element.

Anyone that sais the land isn't large enough to include a substantial number of attractions might as well be saying that Disney should give it up and close down the embarasing (in comparison with USH) little diversion of a land. Whatever it takes<Hollywood Land needs to be expanded and diversified.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You know we focus only the remaining parking lot/7-Eleven/hotels in the corner behind Tower of Terror for expansion, as well as the "BACKLOT" section of Hollywood Land. But I don't know what Disney plans to do with the setback between Harbor Blvd and DCA. It's extensive enough for the tram driveway, a backstage road, guest drop/off parking etc. Couldn't some show buildings build out closer to the street?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Sock Puppet

What if WDI put a Howard Johnson's Restaurant in Hollywood land, particularly in one of those fake buildings to the left (at end of 'block')? Not only would that fit the 1930's theme, but who doesn't love Howard Johnson! Doesn't Disney own a motel of their's anyway???

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wait... Whaaaaaaaaa?

• Sock Puppet

HoJo restaurants, the orange roof? They started in 1925, but 3/4 of the 1,000 restaurants closed in 1985? There are now only 2 left in the world?

Hopefully there is at least ONE person who knows what I am talking about.

• Sock Puppet

You at least know about the motel that is right across the DL resort, which once housed its own HoJo's restaurant. I think they even sponsor these DL threads.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

After 7 years, it looks like the Universal expansion is a go:

Universal Evolution Plan

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast