Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: DCA's Hollywood Land vs. Universal Studios Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How much is Universal spending on their "Evolution"? And how much of that is going to Harry Potter and the rest of the theme park? It's going to enjoy a newfound popularity that will make DCA 2.0 and Carsland look like nothing, because in addition to all the new visitors for Harry Potter, being refreshed, Universal Studios Hollywood is one park that many locals may not have felt a need to visit for years, decades even. Even if they're not massive Harry Potter fans, the "new" Universal will be a draw in and of itself to relive moments on the Tram Tour PLUS "see this new Harry Potter thing".

Disney should focus on it's Hollywood Land as the next part of it's own evolution.
    I can't agree more on that. I visited Orlando around the time the WWoHP opened, and the land was simply amazing, to the point where my dad (who wasn't that into potter) couldn't stop singing praises. I noticed the same thing about Carsland and BVS in DCA 2.0. It's because of this that I can see a short term spout of minor competition between Disney and Universal. Especially since Potter Hollywood should open sometime in the next two years (they announced construction to start this summer). Universal is, to their credit, stepping things up.

Now, do I think that because of this, Disney will immediately heel turn and announce a West-Coast Potter-slayer? No. An update to Tomorrowland and Hollywoodland are sorely needed, and odds are one of the two will get an upgrade, or (hopefully) the whole resort gets some well-deserved love and "plussing" given that while Universal Hollywood will have Potter, it's not really encroaching on Disney's locals, or the business Disney has from vacationers. Say what you will, Disneyland Resort's probably a 2 Day deal, wheras Universal is still about one. Potter may change it, but probably not by much.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Imagine the traffic Universal gets now, multiply by 2, 3 or 4, and then you'll see the new attendance pattern. I think "Buy a day, get a year free" will be O - V - E - R since they're going to have a difficult time with ride capacity.

And I have heard rumors that HP West will be bigger and better, or at least 'different' and not a total clone of HP Orlando. This could be wrong, but considering the difference between the two sites (flat in Orlando, on the top of the hilltop in Hollywood) they may have completely redesigned Hogwarts so it's visible for miles, like Cinderella Castle is at Disney World.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Imagine the traffic Universal gets now, multiply by 2, 3 or 4, and then you'll see the new attendance pattern. I think "Buy a day, get a year free" will be O - V - E - R since they're going to have a difficult time with ride capacity.

And I have heard rumors that HP West will be bigger and better, or at least 'different' and not a total clone of HP Orlando. This could be wrong, but considering the difference between the two sites (flat in Orlando, on the top of the hilltop in Hollywood) they may have completely redesigned Hogwarts so it's visible for miles, like Cinderella Castle is at Disney World.

You can see the hilltop from all over in Studio City and North Hollywood. I wouldn't be surprised if they make Hogwarts an even more imposing structure to be seen from all sides.

And getting back to the subject of why "fake soundstages are a bad idea for theme parks", Hogwarts and Cars Land are precisely the examples in support of it. Yup, Transformers Ride is awesome but.... it doesn't get the same talk as something themed from inside out because it's just another "sound stage" ride.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• revolutionary waltz

Disney thought DCA 1.0 would beat Knott's, Six Flags and Universal.

Does DCA 2.0 beat any of these 3 at their own game? No.
    Wait what? Why would DCA 2.0 even try to beat them "at their own game"? They all have their own appeal. Knott's has the history and a mix of serious coasters and more "family friendly rides". Six Flags is all about its coasters. Universal is about actual movie production and "putting yourself into the action" of real Hollywood movies/properties. DCA isn't directly competing with any of these demographics, so of course it's not going to "beat them at their own game".

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    Wait what? Why would DCA 2.0 even try to beat them "at their own game"? They all have their own appeal. Knott's has the history and a mix of serious coasters and more "family friendly rides". Six Flags is all about its coasters. Universal is about actual movie production and "putting yourself into the action" of real Hollywood movies/properties. DCA isn't directly competing with any of these demographics, so of course it's not going to "beat them at their own game".
    You just described DCA: Universal (Hollywood Land) + Six Flags (Paradise Pier) + Knott's (Grizzly River Run).

• Minion

You just described DCA: Universal (Hollywood Land) + Six Flags (Paradise Pier) + Knott's (Grizzly River Run).
    The difference being the Disney name. Disney knows this, and they know that all they need is their brand to draw people in. No matter what investments Six Flags or Knott's make, they will never garner the prestige that almost 60 years in the theme park industry has given the Disney name.

However...

Universal is catching up. They may not have started in the theme park game quite as early, but their name is out there, especially with the acquisition of the Harry Potter property. Universal is getting to not only be a household name, but the reason why people visit Orlando. And it's not just Harry Potter--everywhere in the Universal Orlando parks are improving. Springfield is replacing the boring old area next to the Simpsons, Transformers was built in about a year, and they are adding to the Harry Potter experience with several other rumored projects to come in the next few years, including the new Cabana Bay hotel. Furthermore, they're improving the quality in the small details of the guest experience, from the introduction of Coke Freestyle machines and higher quality food to LED informational signs and the addition of wifi and smart phone apps. People are coming to Universal for Potter, coming back for the new additions, and before long, they'll start coming to Universal as an alternative to Disney, because of how great the guest experience has become all around.

What does that have to do with USH and DLR over on the West Coast?

Branding. The same principle will apply. Except when Universal on the East Coast becomes the place to be in Orlando, the whole Universal brand will benefit from this reputation. Disney Studios all the way over in Paris is a terrible theme park, but it brings in more people than a generic park with the same theme would, even a different continent over from its superior cousins. It's ALL about the brand. Once Universal in Florida becomes the theme park destination, Universal everywhere becomes the destination.

So yeah, DLR better be worried, because the whole Disney name will take a hit if Universal keeps it up.

• Senior Minion

^ Nail on the head!! The only thought I'd add is that time is on Universal's side. Every year that Disney refuses to innovate and invigorate its creatively lazy corporate vision is another year of opportunity for Universal to try harder and work smarter.

I think that over the long haul this isn't a contest of attractions, but of corporate visions: whoever taps first and most consistently into the mindset of innovation, creativity and showmanship that originally made Disneyland a worldwide hit, has a chance to win the hearts, minds and wallets of the other's customers.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The difference being the Disney name. Disney knows this, and they know that all they need is their brand to draw people in. No matter what investments Six Flags or Knott's make, they will never garner the prestige that almost 60 years in the theme park industry has given the Disney name.

However...

Universal is catching up. They may not have started in the theme park game quite as early, but their name is out there, especially with the acquisition of the Harry Potter property. Universal is getting to not only be a household name, but the reason why people visit Orlando. And it's not just Harry Potter--everywhere in the Universal Orlando parks are improving. Springfield is replacing the boring old area next to the Simpsons, Transformers was built in about a year, and they are adding to the Harry Potter experience with several other rumored projects to come in the next few years, including the new Cabana Bay hotel. Furthermore, they're improving the quality in the small details of the guest experience, from the introduction of Coke Freestyle machines and higher quality food to LED informational signs and the addition of wifi and smart phone apps. People are coming to Universal for Potter, coming back for the new additions, and before long, they'll start coming to Universal as an alternative to Disney, because of how great the guest experience has become all around.

What does that have to do with USH and DLR over on the West Coast?

Branding. The same principle will apply. Except when Universal on the East Coast becomes the place to be in Orlando, the whole Universal brand will benefit from this reputation. Disney Studios all the way over in Paris is a terrible theme park, but it brings in more people than a generic park with the same theme would, even a different continent over from its superior cousins. It's ALL about the brand. Once Universal in Florida becomes the theme park destination, Universal everywhere becomes the destination.

So yeah, DLR better be worried, because the whole Disney name will take a hit if Universal keeps it up.
    This.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• revolutionary waltz

Even if you were to equate the different parts of DCA to the different parks, I still find the attempt at comparison weird. That's like asking if Frontierland or Knott's is better just because they're similar thematically. It's picking one aspect of one park to pit against the multiple aspects of another park. A ride to ride comparison (Knott's Log Ride vs Splash Mountain) would make sense, a land to land comparison (Frontierland vs Ghost Town), but a land to park comparison? It's a complete difference in scale and focus.

And before anyone accuses me of anything, I think Universal Studios Orlando is vastly, vastly superior to Disney World. However, Universal Studios Hollywood has some major problems that I think people are overlooking when they praise Orlando and automatically direct that same praise to Hollywood. USH is incredibly constricted in regards to land with little to no room to expand. Although it has many of the same rides as its Orlando sister park, it feels more like "Universal's Greatest Hits!" thematically than the "lands" of Islands of Adventure or even Universal Studios Orlando. The Harry Potter expansion is a massive step in the right direction for Universal, but I'm seriously hesitant to say that just because Universal Orlando is greater than Disney World means Disneyland isn't still going to be held as superior to USH.
    Last edited by TwilitWings; 04-24-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added further thoughts on Universal.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well, the point is, if people are going to visit both the fake Hollywood with Monsters Inc and Muppets and compare it to the real Hollywood with a fantastic Harry Potter world there's going to be a takeaway.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You can see the hilltop from all over in Studio City and North Hollywood. I wouldn't be surprised if they make Hogwarts an even more imposing structure to be seen from all sides.
    So does Disney need something equally ICONIC to catch visitors' / the media's attention?

• MiceChat Moderator

So does Disney need something equally ICONIC to catch visitors' / the media's attention?

Unfortunately that's what they'll THINK will need to be done. The truth is, just build something of quality and people will go, people will talk about it, people will come back. That was the problem with Universal Studios to begin with. There was little to bring people back. It was a "hey, this is fun every 10 years" kind of place for me growing up whereas Disneyland I needed at least once a year.

With Cars Land, Disney built themselves something iconic. Even if it wasn't considered iconic prior, just the fact that they built it, it became as such. Instagram, Facebook, social media... it's all about photos and the more you get people taking pictures of things and places... that's FREE publicity essentially. Cars Land is great for that alone.

Even Mickey's Fun Wheel has become iconic for DCA in that same regard. Universal Studios Hollywood doesn't have anything brilliantly iconic right now. Just their sign in the front and you don't need to pay money to see that.

Disney just needs to stay the course. Whatever they add now doesn't need to be as strong as Cars Land, but it needs to be as good as Radiator Springs Racers. And preferably just as photogenic.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Great post! Actually in the end you almost make the case for something ICONIC, photogenic, jaw dropping, like Cars Land.

• MiceChat Moderator

Great post! Actually in the end you almost make the case for something ICONIC, photogenic, jaw dropping, like Cars Land.

Haha, true. I guess my main point is: NOT A SOUND STAGE and it WOULD be photogenic.

There is another side of it... that being photogenic isn't enough, and that's Fantasy Faire. Done quite nicely, but nobody cares. There's nothing to do there after dark and it's no ride. It's just quaint and cute.

So, Disney, make it good, make it a ride, make it photogenic and people WILL be excited. That goes to all theme parks really.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Do you think Disney would be smart to 'pump up' the HOLLYWOOD offerings? Something that gives you an inside look at the studio, or a GREAT MOVIE RIDE of some sort? What could they do to be more of an alternative to the Universal experience?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast