Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: White Rabbit in 'trouble' again

Stupid people.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

All this will end up doing is reducing the amount of characters in the park, and maybe even to a point where their are none that can be interacted with. If it becomes more costly for Disney to keep settling these cases..

Sad really...

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

First of all, bad parenting. This didn't happen overnight. The father is to blame the most on this. The kids are brats but the father over the course of 14 years allowed them to be. You know, the hardest thing in the world for kids to do is learn manners when they never get taught them.

This wasn't a playful tap either, the second girl was really yanking on the tail. Now imagine being that cast member. It's hot, you are trapped inside a costume and some teens that should know better are bugging the hell out of you. You retaliate and discipline the kids more than they've had it in 14 years. Yeah, you got out of character, but you were provoked and let's face it we only saw 30 seconds of that video. Nothing says they weren't doing more than that.

I can tell already that these girls probably never got spanked in their lives. The sense of entitlement is dripping from them and they would have gotten this from their father. It is a world we are living in nowadays, the idea of "I can do anything I want to you, but if you retaliate.............." it is turning into the norm. I'm 32 and I can already see the shift of attitudes in our children. This is just a classic case of getting something for nothing when in turn it is your own fault for causing it.

Yes, the character should keep his/her job. He probably has a mortgage to pay and a family to feed and you think a bunch of arrogant guests should take that away from him?

• Blew By You

It's sounds similar to the accident fraud scenario: people working together to cause accidents on the roads and freeways.

• Hooterville, USA

Both parties are wrong here.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I agree that the White Rabbit shouldn't have broke character, but I don't blame him. The girls and their father were awful.

I watched the video, and I would not call that assault. He put his arm around her in a stern manner, but there was no pushing, choking, etc. And the voice swearing was definitely not the rabbit. Haven't you ever heard the characters make kissing sounds? They are very muffled, but this voice was clear. I'm actually interested to see if the White Rabbit's friend was a woman, because that would totally disprove their evidence.

I am not a lawyer, but after looking online at a lawyers website, I would venture that grabbing someone by the arm, is considered an assault.

The California crime of "assault" takes place when you perform an act that is likely to result in the application of force to another person. There is no requirement that an assault must actually result in a violent or forceful act upon another3, only that you

1. attempted to commit such an act, and

2. had the ability to do so.4

I got to agree with BigPhil here. We have no idea how long these girls were doing this. For all we know that video is 30 minutes long. Of course the performer shouldn't be fired. The performer should have had a handler. Not having one (when he or she should have had one) on top of the actions of these foolish girls would drive most any of us to do this. Disney failed to protect the cast member and that led the performer to fail to hold him self up to Disney's standards. If anything Disney owes this CM something. I very much doubt that Disney even knows who was in this suit at the time of this video.

I also have to agree with Disney's statement here. These two families that are accusing Disney of being racist, have no way to prove their case. What evidence do they have at all? A few pictures of a rabbit standing next to their kids? All of a sudden they have real video of a character doing something wrong. And it just happens to be the white rabbit? I think any reasonable person would see this is all a little to convenient for this lawyer. They say the video is from June. Doesn't that seem odd? That they were "victimized" by a Disney character some 8 months ago. Only now it is a real problem for them. I wonder if it really is from June. As in, a few months before the White Rabbit committed the crime of failing to hug a few children. From the video I can't even tell where they are let alone what time of year it might be.

Also, is it just me, but is the quality of the video really bad? And isn't it from an iphone? It is in vertical format similar to a lot of iphone users but the video quality is worse then any iphone video I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Esteban; 02-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    "Nice work, pal"

I'm amazed at how unscrupulous or entitled people become when they pay for entry. Yes, you just paid $100 to go to Disneyland, but that doesn't entitle you to haze the cast members and ruin the experience for the hundreds of people around you.

When I first heard about this new White Rabbit "assault", I expected to see a Youtube video of the White Rabbit smacking around some innocent 4-year old kid. Instead I see a video of a pair of fully-grown teenagers repeatedly spanking an unwitting cast member, while their immature father films it.

Now should the cast member have taken the teen aside, whilst in full-costume, and lectured her about the dangers of being an idiot? No. Will that guy ever wear a suit in the parks again? No. Do I think he was to blame for this situation? No.

Now as for the black family who is suing Disney because one of their costumed characters was racist. The last time I was at Disneyland, I was with a couple of white kids who, upon multiple occasions, approached a cast member in a suit for a picture or autograph, and they didn't get it. Either because they were surrounded by dozens of other kids, vying for their attention, and couldn't give everybody individualized attention, or because they have a schedule to keep or a handler guiding them through the park.

Does racism exist in 2013? Of course. But is it fair to immediately chalk-up everything that doesn't go your way to racism? No. Unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, whenever I hear of someone immediately using the race-card, without considering other options or factors, I assume that they're just looking for a payday.

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    ...Of course the performer shouldn't be fired. The performer should have had a handler. Not having one (when he or she should have had one) on top of the actions of these foolish girls would drive most any of us to do this. Disney failed to protect the cast member and that led the performer to fail to hold him self up to Disney's standards. If anything Disney owes this CM something....
    Obviously I'm not going to change anyone's mind here, so this will be my last post on this, no need to beat a dead horse. I understand and agree with the anger at the family, just don't get how you would want to keep that CM employed at the park, let alone say Disney owes him something.

Let's say you are driving your car perfectly safely down the street and a 16 year old girl pulls right in front of you and smacks into your fender, damaging your car and causing you pain because of whiplash or something like that. Then she flips you off and screams obscenities at you. If you then decided to get out of the car and grab her by the arm and neck, or give her a big shove with both hands, or actually put your hands on her in any way, you almost certainly would spend some time in police custody and face some charges, which are made more serious by the fact that she is a minor. But, you can just explain to the officer that it's all her fault, right? The bratty little girl had it coming. No one could blame you for it, right? Maybe you had a really bad day, and people were cutting you off all day, and because of all of that you should take no blame for your actions what so ever, right?

Obviously, wrong. I guess I can understand if you don't believe he was holding the one girl by the arm and neck in an unwanted way, or see the two handed shove of the other girl. And some people really think they dubbed in the cursing? That can easily be discerned by experts if this case ever gets that far. Anyway, even if the guy had a lot of reasons to snap, being a responsible adult means you don't do it. And if you do, you have to take the consequences.

Will it be a shame if that family gets rewarded for their actions? Yes. But should that guy continue to work at the park? No.
    Last edited by Steveman; 02-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.

But we also have no idea if the Rabbit or anyone else had already told these girls to stop doing what they were doing. If this CMs snapping point was only two tail grabs away, I totally agree with you. But I doubt it. I'm sure anyone with this job would have had that happen a few hundred times before without issue. If these girls were already told to stop and this was tail pull 18 and 19, then I have to agree with what the CM did. He can't go about doing his job like that and it is ruining the experience for other guests. He sure didn't hurt anyone. I think I have pointed out all the unknowns here. Until we know at least a few of those unknowns, I wouldn't even begin to say what should or shouldn't happen to the CM let alone to ask for their job. Regardless of all of that, they should have had a handler near by. This would have never happened if they did have one.And again, I doubt if Disney even knows who was in that suit at the time.
    Last edited by Esteban; 02-24-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    "Nice work, pal"

• Minion

If you can find me one character cast member at any Disney park worldwide who has played characters with tails, who has never had their tail pulled I will be amazed. Every character cast member has to put up with things like this and worse. There is no excuse what so ever for the cast member. Yes the guests were in the wrong, but this sort of stuff happens regularly and every other cast member deals with it. The cast member cannot be defended here.

To be honest, that cast member should be fired twice. Once for reacting and grabbing the girl and again for speaking in costume.

EDIT: I don't even know why I'm saying should be fired after that. He will have been fired after that.
    Last edited by ssaamm; 02-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but after looking online at a lawyers website, I would venture that grabbing someone by the arm, is considered an assault.

The California crime of "assault" takes place when you perform an act that is likely to result in the application of force to another person. There is no requirement that an assault must actually result in a violent or forceful act upon another3, only that you

1. attempted to commit such an act, and

2. had the ability to do so.4

If I ever get my picture taken with Oprah or Bill Gates and they put their arm around me....

SUE!!

There is no case here.

In order to win a monetary award in a civil lawsuit there has to be an element that is clearly missing here. Damages. Even if the Rabbits actions may have technically been assault (& I personally don't think they were), the actions were not malicious and no measurable harm to the kids resulted. No damages, no award.

The attorney knows his case is very weak which is why he gave the video to the news media in hopes for a quick extortion type settlement from Disney. It's his hope that Disney will offer him something just to quiet it down.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    And not by the tail?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast