Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Re: White Rabbit in 'trouble' again

If this case goes to court, and I doubt it will, the video will show that the girls and father were the instigators in provoking this reaction from the White Rabbit. Disney will be found not guilty as the CM was clearly showing restraint. I agree that the CM shouldn't have broken character but there should also have been handlers there to assist the CM. we also don't know how long the CM was out there to begin with in that suit which can get hot even after ten minutes. I do have a lot of respect for those costumed CM's as they really do have to put up with a lot of things like this from the GP.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Its seems a lot of you guys are missing the point of this news story and maybe I am going too far here in my accusations but I really don't believe this family at all. No one is taking action against Disney over what this White Rabbit did in the video. But we have a lawyer with these other two families and they want to sue Disney over racism. But this lawyer has no proof at all. So I am going so far to say that this didn't happen in June. The lawyer hired these people to get a bad reaction from a costumed Disney CM to make some sort of proof for the case of misconduct by these "racist" CMs. It is not believable to me. I just happens to be the white rabbit? It just happens to have taken place in June, a few months before the other allegations started? The video from a newish smart phone fails to tell us where in the park this was or give us any proof that this did happen in June. This is just a weak attempt at building up an already weak case for a settlement.
    Last edited by Esteban; 02-26-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    "Nice work, pal"

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Skipper View Post
    The whole thing is ridiculous. The fact is these teenagers knew they could do what ever they want with zero consequences. I see it all the team kids no longer have anything to fear as far as authority figures are concerned. They know they can do as they please and the worse thing that happens is they get yelled at. Many times I see parents come to the defense saying their kid would not do that or the person scolding them were in the wrong.

end rant
    I work at my kids school doing noon duty supervision and its terrible how many kids are this way. I have had a few make up lies because they were in trouble for doing the wrong things and went home to the parents telling them I was mean and horrible and they did nothing wrong. I was shocked at some of the lies I have had to deal with and attitudes of the kids or how they talk to any of us. Sadly they will grow up to be those kids/families that think they can do whatever they please and the kids can as well and it is all ok. It disgusts me to see this happen at schools and outside of them, like this in Disneyland.
    I am sorry but that family was so in the wrong and knew it when they wouldn't even show security the video. The would deserve to never be allowed in any theme park (non Disney included) after showing how they behaved there. As was said we have no idea how long this was really going on. I don't think it looked like the Rabbit grabbed her in some way that would be considered assult though. I do agree it could have been handled differently though.
    Last edited by Berry Princess; 02-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    So I am going so far to say that this didn't happen in June. The lawyer hired these people to get a bad reaction from a costumed Disney CM to make some sort of proof for the case of misconduct by these "racist" CMs. It is not believable to me. I just happens to be the white rabbit? It just happens to have taken place in June, a few months before the other allegations started? The video from a newish smart phone fails to tell us were in the park this was or give us any proof that this did happen in June. This is just a weak attempt at building up an already weak case for a settlement.
    I doubt it was June as well. To many people wearing pants and jackets for daytime in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I doubt it was June as well. To many people wearing pants and jackets for daytime in June.
    June isn't exactly a warm month only has an average high of 72.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Daytime high of 25 where I live. 72 is quite warm...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

I sure didn't bother with a jacket when I was there in June. The sun had me burning by 9:30. And i just looked up on my phone. Avg high was 79 for June. Avg low was 60.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0027
    "Nice work, pal"

•   
    • Minion

Two things about June: We have "June Gloom," with overcast, cool days, so that isn't a particularly hot month. Second, people in Southern California have been known to don winter parkas and gloves and turn on wood stoves when it dips to 55 degrees, so the fact that they're in long pant and jackets doesn't mean much here. However...I hadn't thought that the video could have been deliberately set up to support the other White Rabbit case, but it makes a heckuva lot of sense.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Tail pulling happens a lot. I'd be surprised if theres a character cast member who portrays a character with a tail, that hasn't had their tail pulled. Characters get punched and kicked sometimes too. Yes its wrong for it to happen, but its part of the cast members job to put up with it.
    Oh, I'm very sure this is all true. However - I don't think any costumed character should EVER have to put up with it. Everyone's entitled to a safe workplace, and getting kicked and punched isn't part of that. There should be zero tolerance for any sort of physical attack on a costumed actor, IMHO.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Oh, I'm very sure this is all true. However - I don't think any costumed character should EVER have to put up with it. Everyone's entitled to a safe workplace, and getting kicked and punched isn't part of that. There should be zero tolerance for any sort of physical attack on a costumed actor, IMHO.
    Unfortunately, stuff like that happens. While the cast member shouldn't have to put up with it, there is very little that they can do to stop it happening. I agree there should be a zero tolerance policy for this but unfortunately there is not. Disney's rules on what characters can and can't do, it pretty much stops characters from doing much to stop it. Many people have dreamed for years about being a character performer and would be too worried about doing anything which could cost them their job.

I've heard stories about guests putting Mickey in a headlock to make a 'funny' picture and cast members being spat at. I think guests sometimes forget that characters still have humans inside. It is mainly usually kids doing stuff, but quite often their parents either don't do anything to stop it or actively encourage it.

However, a character cast member should never ever ever confront a guest.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I'm confused. Does this mean you are in favor of frivolous lawsuits?
    Absolutely not. I'm in favor of counter suits disuading frivolous vultures from reaking havoc through redicul;ous lawsuits.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    It is also interesting to note that this story and video was first reported by KGTV channel 10 in San Diego, a ABC affiliate.

I'm sure the station's management and news director received several, well deserved phone calls from the mothership asking them to explain why they elected to run a Disney hit piece like this.
    KGTV was first to cover the other white rabbit racism story last month. The alleged victims were from San Diego so every subsequent claim that's followed that story (Donald Duck incident, etc.) has been covered very closely due to it's connection to the white rabbit case. In San Diego the news is very much based on local things. For instance, if Michael Phelps wins a bunch of medals the story in San Diego is all about how he trained in Chula Vista and less about the actual accomplishment. ABC will run these stories as long as there are new claims coming in simply because of the San Diego connection, albeit a loose one.

KGTV is owned by The E.W. Scripps Company and while I'm sure ABC has the direct phone number to the front office, they don't necessarily have a say in what ABC10 can and can't aire when it comes to locally covered news stories.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    Does racism exist in 2013? Of course. But is it fair to immediately chalk-up everything that doesn't go your way to racism? No. Unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, whenever I hear of someone immediately using the race-card, without considering other options or factors, I assume that they're just looking for a payday.
    While it may be unfair to “immediately chalk-up everything that doesn't go your way to racism”, it is equally unfair to just assume that everyone who is claiming racism is “just looking for a payday”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    There is no case here.

In order to win a monetary award in a civil lawsuit there has to be an element that is clearly missing here. Damages. Even if the Rabbits actions may have technically been assault (& I personally don't think they were), the actions were not malicious and no measurable harm to the kids resulted. No damages, no award.
    Just because the article doesn’t mention damages, does not mean that they are not claiming any. Damages can be much more than physical. For instance, if these girls had to go to counseling due to their encounter, any expense incurred because of that would be considered damages. If there is no evidence of any damages in the complaint, the case should be easily won on demur.

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    You could argue that saying a curse word to someone is considered verbal assault...
    That by itself is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The definitions of assault I've read all consider intent as part of the package; ie, it has to be physical contact with malicious or threatening intent.
    I’m not sure if you were looking at common tort law, or the laws of another state, but it is different in California criminal law. California Penal Code 240 defines assault as “An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.” Therefore, physical contact is not needed. The moment physical contact is made, it becomes a Battery, not an Assault.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

When I was in WDW three years ago my wife and I got a picture with Stitch. Yeah I know, everyone hates Stitch and I am not a huge fan myself. He had his arms around us and I put some "bunny ears" behind his head with my fingers as sort of a joke. The cast member who was taking the picture politely told me not to do that and I complied. I look back at that and think to myself just how much a cast member and costume character has to put up with from people with no respect for her to deny a funny picture like that which was harmless.

In other words, I was just kidding around, no disrespect intended, and I wasn't interested in being the entitled guest who thought I could do what I want. I was being lighthearted and I think the CM knew this, and knew it wasn't leading to anything else but it makes me think just how many times doing a little funny thing to a costumed cast member is a gateway to doing much more to them. Such as taking it a step further and yanking their tail or pulling on their ear or stepping on their feet. To be told not to do the bunny ears behind a character means that too many guests have felt entitled and taken things too far before.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I'm born and raised here. I grew up in the valley where that was warm and it was warmer then that usually by June. You wouldn't be wearing jackets and pants. I have lived by the beach in the OC now for many years and wouldn't be wearing that by the beach in June with a high of 72 either. I know last summer was warmer most days even where I live then usual. I looked back at the temps for June and most were in the 80s. Usualy there is the gloom looming around but when you go inland it doesn't usually last as long as it does by the beach either. I know we weren't in pants and jackets when we were at DL in June last year or even where we live.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast