• Musical Fireman

First California trip soon, potential trip to DISNEYLAND!!! Need Help!!

Okay the chance might be slim but it'd be worth it even beyond the price complaints...Potential FIRST FLIPPING TRIP TO DISNEYLAND!!! I've been to WDW but I need any tips my more experienced guests have to offer. Best ride times, good restaurants, Disneyland cult areas, unique shopping, must rides, anything!! Of and if you see a 17 year old crying because he's t Disneyland for the first time say..."Welcome home SparkChaser "

See ya walking right down the middle of ole Main Street USA!

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• formerly very helpful

Re: First California trip soon, potential trip to DISNEYLAND!!! Need Help!!

Congrats! Hope you make it to Walt's original park! My advice is to open the park. You can sleep when you get home.

I'd also focus on the rides that you don't have in WDW, or are significantly different than Disneyland's version.

Indiana Jones
    Matterhorn
    Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Subs
    Alice in Wonderland
    Mr. Toad
    Storybook Land
    Pinochio
    Castle walk thru

are all attractions that don't have counterparts in Florida. Except Pirates, but in that case, Disneyland's verison is far superior IMHO.

Of course, there is nearly all of DCA which doesn't compare to anything in WDW (except for a few attractions).

Dining isn't as big an event in Disneyland. However, some of my favorite eateries - largely based on ambiance - are Hungry Bear, Big Thunder Barbeque, Blue Bayou, French Market Cafe. I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now.

Also, don't forget there is typically a Mice Chat meet up on Sunday afternoons.
    Hope the trip happens, and please, take lots of pictures and share!

•   

Hope you get to come and visit my Home theme park!!!! Yes sbk1234 Has a great point do the rides you dont have over in disney world. You definetly have to ride the
    Matterhorn
    Indiana Jones
    Rodger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
    Space Mountain

• The doctor is in

sbk1234 has an excellent point about focusing on the rides that are different at Disneyworld.

Also allow enough time to fully explore DCA.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Don't forget about the Enchanted Tiki Room still working quite well under old management and better Fantasmic experience even if you don't get a an actual seat.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Minion

Skip anything other than counter service eating. It'll waste valuable ride time. The soup in a bread bowl at the little place by Haunted Mansion is delicious and quick. Shopping, ditto (there's endless threads about the merchandise being rather generic these days anyway). For a single day trip, and if price is a concern, I'd also say skip DCA. Disneyland is a full day park. Sure, you're missing out on Cars Land, but I'd rather miss that than one of the original Disney lands.

Other Disneyland originals not mentioned:
    Sailing ship Columbia
    DLRR Grand Canyon and Primeval World (from the 1964 World's Fair!)
    Original Monorail as sort-of-ride (Tomorrowland laps), sort-of-transportation (to Downtown Disney)
    Small World facade

• I'm wishing

Be there at park opening, the first couple hours of the day are the best you'll have all day (the last couple hours are a close second)!

Make use of FastPasses. Get your Radiator Springs Racers fastpass first, line up at least 30 minutes before the park opens, they will let you in to get in line. If you are a Single Rider, make use of the SR entrances when available (RSR, CA Screamin, Goofy's Sky School, Soarin', Indy, Matterhorn).

Look at the restaurant menus before you get there. I believe there are lots of good choices, but it all depends on your taste and budget. Personally, I love the Paradise Grill and Flo's in DCA, and Carnation Cafe, Plaza Inn, and Jolly Holiday in DL!

• Koubu Pilot

If your tickets are multi day tickets 3 days or more (regardless if park hoppers or base tickets) you get one Magic Morning where you get in to the park 1 hour before the other guests. Available attractions include the castle area of Fantasyland (Peter Pan is the priority), Matterhorn, Subs, Buzz, and Star Tours.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Yeah definitely do Indiana Jones, it's mind blowing. Also Space Mountain, significantly better than the Florida version and Tower of Terror. Not as long as the WDW version and has no fifth dimension but has some other cool effects not in Florida.

Make sure to post a trip report if you do go!

Always love helping out a fellow WDW veteran. Sparkchaser, let me tell you about Disneyland and how I first felt about it. My first trip was back in 2012 and I wasn't sure how I would react since WDW is my home. However, the night before we went to Disneyland the first day we were in Downtown Disney. I wandered over to the front gates of Disneyland at around 8-9pm as many were leaving and all the sudden everything came back to me. I wanted so badly to walk into those gates and I tried ever so hard to get a peek down main street but couldn't. I was so excited to be there in a few hours I could barely sit still. I'm a 32 year old man.

We did two days at Disneyland and one at DCA. Do both parks. Don't skip out on DCA. Carsland is amazing and worth the trip. In Disneyland I think Pirates has the better version easily, don't miss it. Small World is sort of the same but I loved the added characters in there, it was different. Fantasyland and Toontown are both noticeably better in Disneyland even compared to the former toontown in WDW. I always thought Space and Thunder Mountain were similar in either park while WDW has the better Splash Mountain. Walk through Sleeping Beauty Castle. I always thought that was a neat walk through attraction.

I wasn't sure how I would react to Disneyland to be honest. It is in the middle of Southern California while we are used to being transported in the middle of nowhere in WDW. But I can assure you, once you are on the Disney property it doesn't matter. You are home. Chances are you will love Disneyland better than the Magic Kingdom. It is a charming park with more attractions and while everything seems a bit smaller there it doesn't mean its better.

Someone mentioned the Hungry Bear as a place to eat. I agree. However, if you spend anytime on your off day in Downtown Disney I loved ESPN Sports Zone and Rainforest Cafe the best. The best store Disney related that I have ever shopped is "World of Disney" in Downtown Disney. You name it, they've got it. I actually went a little crazy in there.

Anyway, enjoy Walt's original park. There is a mystique and nostalgic atmosphere in that park which is better than anywhere I've been, even Magic Kingdom in WDW. I don't know what it is. Maybe being the place it all started? Who knows. But you'll feel it.

• New Member Goes Forth

There are some great resturants in DCA, such as Flo's, Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and the Paradise Garden Grill. I recommed that you ewat at any of these. They have the best food of any theme park at the moment in my opinion.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• The doctor is in

Don't skip out on the Pacific Wharf Cafe with the Boudin Bakery bread bowls in DCA. They are so freaking delicious and worth the line.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.