Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gate

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: 3rd Gate

Quote Originally Posted by SirGalvan View Post
    The only two things I can think that is against having a third park, would be the parking issue which many of you guys already pointed out. Along with that another issue I potentially can see is how to connect it to the other two parks. It takes a mere minute to walk between California Adventures and Disneyland I wonder how they would work getting between parks easily, especially since its something most passholders and guest have become acustomed to. The only thing I can think of is maybe connect a bride between the potential third park and the back end of California Adventure and create a new entrance/exit for California Adventure( kind of like how Knotts Berry Farm has mulitple exits).
    This is why a lot of people expected Disney to buy GardenWalk. It sits between the proposed deck on the Pumbaa Parking Lot and the third gate site. Disney has also used their parking before and also had an agreement to operate some hotels on the property.

• Under that tree again!

Parking:

As it is is barely a problem. It only overflows Disney's lots under 10% of the time. It's barely has required the CM lots to be used by guests. When it overflows there is only a small problem, guest being directed to unusual places Garden Walk and the Convention Center paking garages. I've never heard of all the parking getting maxed out, I doubt it's ever happened. Conventions don't take place over Christmas Break when the parks are crazy.

In the mean time Disney may build more hotels. While this may be on current parking spaces, they will build parking for the hotel guests. Basically what could be a 1 space to 1 space trade, likely used by more guests per space. Families on visits versus people coming alone after work. Also quite likely is the hotels will have more than a 1:1 ratio, as they may have more rooms than the parking space they are built on.

When the 3rd gate is built, which is not happening now or soon what will happen?
    Toy Story Lot will be gone, which will lower the parking spaces by a little, the Katella Cast Member parking will be gone, lowering cast parking spaces by a good amount.

Possibly by that time people will be taking trains to the park and far less cars so it won't matter. The garage will be built on Pumba and Disney's land nother of Pumba which may double Disney's current number of parking spaces alone. There may be a trolley from the Anaheim Angels Parking lot to the Resort Area. It's possible Disney could partner with Anaheim and the Angels to put a garage there.

Why a garage at the Angels staduim when they have a giant lot? The Angels don't fill that lot often, but when they do and it conicides with a busy DLR, is summer. So that may be the only time they need that remote parking area. With the future trolley it may be an ideal location for CMs.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Parking is pretty tight, and on special occasions and holidays it can become critically tight with Mickey and Friends completely closed and the surface streets around the resort in gridlock. Add a third gate, and not only it's visitors but also it's staff, and the place would come apart at the seams. Additional parking capacity (or getting large numbers of guests to come by train and bus) is essential to any plans for a third gate.

I only expect a third gate if and when Disney strategically re-positions the resort back toward vacationers and away from AP'ers. What they would be trying to do is create the need to extend what is now a 2-3 night stay into a 3-4 night one. I think how this strategy works is MOST clearly apparent at WDW.

This year's AP price increase(s) will be telling. If we see another major jump you can see the company is making a concerted effort to find an equilibrium point of lower absolute numbers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Parking:

As it is is barely a problem. It only overflows Disney's lots under 10% of the time. It's barely has required the CM lots to be used by guests. When it overflows there is only a small problem, guest being directed to unusual places Garden Walk and the Convention Center paking garages. I've never heard of all the parking getting maxed out, I doubt it's ever happened. Conventions don't take place over Christmas Break when the parks are crazy.
    If it happens any more than 0% of the time, it's a problem. Other theme parks have their parking situations figured out so as not to inconvenience guests on their busiest days. Disney should be able to do the same. Now, since I've moved away I've only stayed at the GCH, but I know I'd be extremely annoyed to have to park in a random, unofficial lot with little direction to the parks. That's just unorganized.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 02-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Parking is pretty tight, and on special occasions and holidays it can become critically tight with Mickey and Friends completely closed and the surface streets around the resort in gridlock. Add a third gate, and not only it's visitors but also it's staff, and the place would come apart at the seams. Additional parking capacity (or getting large numbers of guests to come by train and bus) is essential to any plans for a third gate.
    See, I am of the opinion that its only when traffic becomes unbearable that people will really seek out other transit options. Holding back the parking supply can drive up costs to parkers and frustration. If its easy to park then its harder for people to justify a train or bus trip.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I really have no clue at this point where Disney will put the third park and new hotel (s) and parking lot....but I predict in less then ten years we'll know there exact plans

Wow....

I'm a total WDW junkie and a wannabe DLR insider, but I have never heard the rumors about a 3rd gate!
    Totally fascinating!
    As many regulars have pointed out in the past, DLR has done an excellent job of space management and efficiency.
    People speculate a ton about WDW adding a 5th gate, but for crying out loud, they have so much room there, there's no magic or challenge to it. At DLR, on the other hand...it is amazing at what they fit into the space that they do!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^what...there have been rumors for years

It's going to happen the parks are too busy to not make a third gate....especially since they own Star Wars and Marvel now

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

It's going to happen the parks are too busy to not make a third gate....especially since they own Star Wars and Marvel now
    Well, I've been visiting WDW since around 1983.

Until about 2006, Disneyland was the "quaint little old-fashioned park 'over there' on the West Coast" In my mind, I just figured they "kept it around" since it was the cute little park that Walt saw to fruition.
    I know, I know...my view of DLR changed immensely since my first visit and I have been time and time again, watching DCA rebirth (construction, at least), etc.
    Nevertheless, I haven't been "in the loop" enough to hear anything about a 3rd gate. I'm tuned in now, for sure!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wild01ride View Post
    Wow....

I'm a total WDW junkie and a wannabe DLR insider, but I have never heard the rumors about a 3rd gate!
    Totally fascinating!
    As many regulars have pointed out in the past, DLR has done an excellent job of space management and efficiency.
    People speculate a ton about WDW adding a 5th gate, but for crying out loud, they have so much room there, there's no magic or challenge to it. At DLR, on the other hand...it is amazing at what they fit into the space that they do!
    You should check out some of the RCID maps on land use and suitability. The land at Walt Disney World has been consumed by poor land management and sales. There is not as much room as one would expect.

How is it rumor when the third gate has publicly been acknowledged by The Walt Disney Company as being part of the Disneyland Resort's master plan?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I really have no clue at this point where Disney will put the third park and new hotel (s) and parking lot....but I predict in less then ten years we'll know there exact plans
    Just ... scroll up.

After cars land I think they should just expand the 2 parks first. The two parks are so convenient. With all the attractions its like having 3-4 WDW parks crammed together. If they fix TL, expand the area behind frontierland(next to toontown), and add more to DCA's Hollywood Studios, Cars Land unused back left corner, paradise pier, and wilderness trail.... that to me is a 3rd park without all the walking (or horrid shuttles). They just need to add more hotels and parking.

• Knight of Naughtyness

-Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Disney may already have a third park planned out (I'm betting on a Marvel theme), but you can be sure they won't move forward on anything until the Artic station is complete and the city decides on the ARC transportation method; streetcars or monorail. Then Disney and Anaheim can work together on the new pumba parking structure and ARC station.

So I'm going to assume that we won't hear anything for at least 2-4 years.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast