Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 3rd Gate

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Re: 3rd Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I have heard the same thing before from many people, that they should expand or the first two parks before they build a third gate but from some conversations that i have heard from people within the company that is not the ideal thing to do.

Their goal te last ten years have been to help and stabalize the resorts attendance by increasing DCA's attendance and help eleviate some of Disneylands gridlock.

They knwo that there are still areas of both parks that need help and do have some kind of plans for those areas but they do not see it necessary or wise to completely expand those parks.

Why you might ask, well both Disneyland and DCA are have limited space and are parks that will be around for many more years to come. If they concentrate on completely building out and expanding those two parks there will be a time that they can do no more unless they start removing attractions or rebuilding areas.

When it comes to Disneyland it becomes a bit more of an issue becuase of its tight layout and following.

So the idea would be to balance out DCA's new found fame by adding attraction in some of the Dead spaces, like the Hollywood Backlot, while increasing capacity.

Once they feel that DCA can maintain its attendance then a third gate would be built with the knowledge that a third gate would pull some attendance away from both first gates to help spread out crowds even more.

after a few years of the third gate opening then they could alternate new additions from gate to gate keeping all parks attendance leveled by using some of the valuable remaining land and or new entertainment which is what eventually will happen wit Disneyland as its land is used up
    This is such a terrific explanation, I couldn't agree more. There may come a time that something perfectly suited to the realms of Disneyland, or based on California lore is imagined - and with every available expansion pad used up, it's not possible to construct.

If they had it to do over again, Star Tours would go in the Third Park, Toon Town might go in Hollywood Land North, and so forth.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    This is always an interesting topic with plenty of great opinions shared....

Just a question, but where is the Pumba lot everyone refers to?
    Take the streetcar from the Convention Center stop, up to the next black dot. There, you'll see Pumbaa on your left and Garden Walk on your right.

PS (In your imagination. It hasn't been built yet!!!)

The Pumba lot is on the corner of Disney way and clementine, north of Garden walk.

When the 5 freeway was expanded they actually had an idea that the Pumba lot would be the location for a second parking structure. During the expansion of the freeway they integrated a long exit ramp (S Anaheim way) that crosses Katella and then turns and goes under the 5 freeway and turns into Disney way/S manchester ave.

The concern is how traffic flow out of the parking structure once everyone wants to leave at the same time.

If rumors are correct Disney has been in talks or already bought the land next to the Pumba lot. If that is true then they would remove the old factory and use as well for the parking structure.

The ideal thing would then be to make a deal to add a direct freeway entrance and force everyone to go south on the 5 as they exit the parking structure.

As for the third gate property, i really hope that Disney has looked in to buying some of the small pieces of land that sit along Katella and have the old sleezy motels. some of those are already boarded up and rotting away.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

The Pumba lot is on the corner of Disney way and clementine, north of Garden walk.

When the 5 freeway was expanded they actually had an idea that the Pumba lot would be the location for a second parking structure. During the expansion of the freeway they integrated a long exit ramp (S Anaheim way) that crosses Katella and then turns and goes under the 5 freeway and turns into Disney way/S manchester ave.

The concern is how traffic flow out of the parking structure once everyone wants to leave at the same time.

If rumors are correct Disney has been in talks or already bought the land next to the Pumba lot. If that is true then they would remove the old factory and use as well for the parking structure.

The ideal thing would then be to make a deal to add a direct freeway entrance and force everyone to go south on the 5 as they exit the parking structure.
    I'm certain that Al said that the property north of Pumbaa belongs to Disney now, for conversion into a future parking garage.

As for the third gate property, i really hope that Disney has looked in to buying some of the small pieces of land that sit along Katella and have the old sleezy motels. some of those are already boarded up and rotting away.
    Word. I hope these aren't the properties we heard about being redeveloped earlier this week. I think those were on the Convention Center side of the street?

i believe the piece of property that Anaheim has been looking into developing is actually the corner lot of Katella and Harbor. The building that used to be there was demolished and behind that is an old motel(zaby motor lodge) still in service if i remember correctly.
    Behind that is an IHOp and then to hotel towers.

It is a shame because it will create another corner of un-expansion plot similar to DCA's 7 eleven situation

just east of this land is a vacant dirt area of a demolished motel then the Islander inn, little boy blue motel, and Riviera and all those three are dumps that if Disney could buy would give them a much more even lot for expansion.

on the far east corner of Katella and Haster there is an avis rent a car and a motel then a dirt lot. Also lands that Disney should buy to give them a much more unified piece of land to work with instead of the odd shape that they have now

• Banned User

Blog Entries

You'd think you and I weren't the first to realize this, right...

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Didn't I read that land is being converted into two hotels this year?

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Didn't I read that land is being converted into two hotels this year?
    This is what we're talking about:

Why are they closing the motels at the Corner of Katella and Harbor Blvd?

http://www.ocregister.com/waptest/en...el-hotels.html

i believe the piece of property that Anaheim has been looking into developing is actually the corner lot of Katella and Harbor. The building that used to be there was demolished and behind that is an old motel(zaby motor lodge) still in service if i remember correctly.
    Behind that is an IHOp and then to hotel towers.

It is a shame because it will create another corner of un-expansion plot similar to DCA's 7 eleven situation

just east of this land is a vacant dirt area of a demolished motel then the Islander inn, little boy blue motel, and Riviera and all those three are dumps that if Disney could buy would give them a much more even lot for expansion.

on the far east corner of Katella and Haster there is an avis rent a car and a motel then a dirt lot. Also lands that Disney should buy to give them a much more unified piece of land to work with instead of the odd shape that they have now
    That and all the stuff north of the ball lot. Right now it's like two empty lots, a closed down restaurant and a handful of bite-size motels. Honestly, how are they still there?

• Senior Minion

My guess about the hotel at the corner is that Disney just wasn't that interested in the plot because they didn't think they'd be able to get all the other small properties around it in order to really be able to use it for the park. With the Red Lion and IHOP there that land couldn't really be used well for part of the park or a hotel with a nice park view. It's basically the same case as with the 7 Eleven. At this point it's hardly worth trying to buy any of those properties because it would be difficult to get all of them. Plus even if they did it would be expensive to move the electrical lines again to only gain a small amount of space. Anyway, I don't really think the loss of these small areas is a huge problem. But they probably already do own more land then we even know about and hopefully they'll get more of the other properties that become available.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    My guess about the hotel at the corner is that Disney just wasn't that interested in the plot because they didn't think they'd be able to get all the other small properties around it in order to really be able to use it for the park. With the Red Lion and IHOP there that land couldn't really be used well for part of the park or a hotel with a nice park view. It's basically the same case as with the 7 Eleven. At this point it's hardly worth trying to buy any of those properties because it would be difficult to get all of them. Plus even if they did it would be expensive to move the electrical lines again to only gain a small amount of space. Anyway, I don't really think the loss of these small areas is a huge problem. But they probably already do own more land then we even know about and hopefully they'll get more of the other properties that become available.

The old Disneyland Parking lot did not go from Harbor to West Street, and the ticket booths to Katella. Small hotesl ringed most of the parking lot.

I don't know if Disney had to buy those little hotels one by one, or if some of them had a single owner. But the current state is that Disney bought and tore down a lot of little motels, once big hotelsf for the area, to build a parking lot.

When designing Westcot, public uproar about Disney planning to develop on properties it didn't own has turned into a strange situation. Some of those same people sold out to Disney. The Pan Pacific Hotel was planned to be an inholding in the Disney Resort. Disney was going to develop hotels around it, they were going to work around that property. And now Disney owns that too, it's rethemed as the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Everyone's got their price.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345