View Poll Results: Disposable cups & boxes should have the word/s...

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland

79 61.24%
  • Disney Parks

3 2.33%
  • a design themed to the land you are in

45 34.88%
  • Nothing. Details don't make Disneyland special.

2 1.55%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Do you prefer "Disneyland" or "Disney Parks" on disposable cups & boxes?

You can't break it down too much - Each park has their own warehouse for this stuff that stocks their own, so even splitting up between "Disneyland Resort" and "DCA" isn't going to save any warehouse space or inventory money - The supplier gets an order for a full truckload of paper products printed for that location, they run the machines and make it to order, fill up the truck and off it goes.

As far as the Cup Makers are concerned that truckload can be all 200,000 pieces printed "Disneyland Resort" - or it can easily be split up in sub-batches with 10,000 cups printed for Plaza Inn, 10,000 for Jolly Holiday, 10,000 for Carnation Cafe', 10,000 for Pizza Port, 20,000 for Tomorrowland Terrace...

The artwork is a one-time charge to make the printing plates if Disney supplies them with the camera-ready art, and there's a per-batch charge to print a run of that cup - So there are six $25 setup charges for that load of individual location cups - Big whoop. Small price to add that little detail that is noticed - even when the Guests don't realize why.

It's only when you try dividing it down to different goods for individual locations that you hit the higher costs of warehousing and distributing the several different varieties of paper goods at one park's local warehouse - and that's only if the Disney accountants choose to break it out as an individual line item and make it a higher cost. Many times it's accepted as the cost of doing something properly.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

As long as there aren't 500 different versions of cups, I think the stock room can handle it.

• Under that tree again!

When I first noticed this cheapness I was at WDW. Sure at DLR the cups/papergoods/disposables changed every now and then, so I was used to them changing. Then on a WDW, I got the "what the heck" moment when I realized this was the same cup as at DLR.

Likewise a similiar conversation is common on WDW boards. Resort mugs. If you've never been to WDW you can get a mug, coffee mug style, refillable over the duration of your visit at your resort hotel. While once these mugs were resort hotel specific, they have become WDW generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    When they make this stuff in orders of 100,000 to a million pieces at a time, the can easily afford to make up custom artwork and the extra slight production costs of splitting the order into land-specific and/or location-specific disposables - and have a stock of park-specific as a backup to use if they run out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    It would be awesome if each establishment could have its own cups but the simplified ordering, storage and cost savings that Disney likely gets from having one cup for the entire empire is much more staggering than you all might realize. Instead of every store/land/park needing to constantly monitor its stock of these items, they just call up more from central storage. That type of streamlining seems a bit ridiculous, but the time and labour it saves is often dramatic.
    Yes, but Bruce mentioned a fine point. Say for example there is a paper goods factory in Kansas. The factory get an order for a truck to Disneyland. The cups aren't sitting at the factory they have to make it. So it really doesn't matter what it makes, because the factory just adjust the pringing press to it's next order, be it that pizza chain to your north, or taco chain to the east of you, or even DL or SeaWorld. Lots of things all come out of the same factory and they fill every order they need to every day regardless of where it's from.

The key is usually a truck load at once, or multiple trucks to get a cheap production run. Not simple 100,000 or 1,000,000, because you have raw goods coming in one end of the factory and make whatever and shipments to customers out the other end. You ideally want full trucks going to customers, not partial trucks. Would it be better for the paper company to ship multiple trucks at once? sure but that causes another problem.

When the goods get to the customer, does the customer want to pay for bigger warehouse if it gets too much at once? Nope. Do they want to pull from bigger warehouses, not that either. It wants as simple as can be, because it's cheaper. Another lot with a big warehouse on it may not be expensive compared to somethings but isn't cheap either.

In any case when you get to the final distribution by Disney, it looks something like this.

You get a truck load of cups to DLR. It gets split up for Carts, East side of Main Street and Tomorrowland, West Side of Main Street, Fantaslyland and Frontierland, New Orleans Sq., then all the DCA areas.

When Disney splits it up like this, is it easier to take 5 boxes of cups from one pile to put into 5 loads, or 1 boxs each out of 5 piles for 5 loads. It's getting split up at one time or another by destination.

In the end it's a little more expensive, but haveing patterns semi distinct is not a huge cost.

Even my local McDonalds has distinct cups that your McDonalds doesn't have if we supersize our drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I do very little shopping in the stores since the generic movement began. I guess if you multiply me times how many other people feel the same way, it adds up to the # of dollars not collected by Disney.
    Collectors are common and there are plenty of people that are enticed to shop/eat again to get another unique item.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Prefer the specific park name, but not bothered by the "Disney Parks" dishes.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    You can't break it down too much - Each park has their own warehouse for this stuff that stocks their own, so even splitting up between "Disneyland Resort" and "DCA" isn't going to save any warehouse space or inventory money - The supplier gets an order for a full truckload of paper products printed for that location, they run the machines and make it to order, fill up the truck and off it goes.

As far as the Cup Makers are concerned that truckload can be all 200,000 pieces printed "Disneyland Resort" - or it can easily be split up in sub-batches with 10,000 cups printed for Plaza Inn, 10,000 for Jolly Holiday, 10,000 for Carnation Cafe', 10,000 for Pizza Port, 20,000 for Tomorrowland Terrace...

The artwork is a one-time charge to make the printing plates if Disney supplies them with the camera-ready art, and there's a per-batch charge to print a run of that cup - So there are six $25 setup charges for that load of individual location cups - Big whoop. Small price to add that little detail that is noticed - even when the Guests don't realize why.

It's only when you try dividing it down to different goods for individual locations that you hit the higher costs of warehousing and distributing the several different varieties of paper goods at one park's local warehouse - and that's only if the Disney accountants choose to break it out as an individual line item and make it a higher cost. Many times it's accepted as the cost of doing something properly.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Great post.

If I ruled the world and decided how Disney money were spent, I would rather spend it, however small the amount, on something else, like increased pay for workers. I agree that plastic NON-disposable cup souvenirs themed to anything appropriate would sell, but for the most part, as much as I adore anything from Disneyland, I'll let this one pass.

It's already bad enough that I have a carefully bagged and labeled collection of toilet paper scraps from each bathroom... and I am just kidding...
    Last edited by DobbysCloset; 02-27-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: put post in wrong place
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Nutty about Disney parks

I feel that cups themed to each land (especially if they're disposables) seems rather excessive. I'll be content with them just theming the plates and cups by resort and lose the logo on the napkins to save a few pennies. I'm with the party of nothing is better than the Disney Parks logo.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney Parks is too similar to Disney Parking Lot. "Disneyland" is nice, but it's already on everything from balloons to mosquto repelant. The cups would have more keepsake status in my eyes if they had the various lands that you purchase them at on them. I love your idea!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney Parks is too similar to Disney Parking Lot. "Disneyland" is nice, but it's already on everything from balloons to mosquto repelant. The cups would have more keepsake status in my eyes if they had the various lands that you purchase them at on them. I love your idea!
    I remember when the hotel's shampoo was hotel, then resort specific. Miss that too.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Prefer the specific park name, but not bothered by the "Disney Parks" dishes.
    Ditto this sentiment. I definitely prefer the specific park name, but the "Disney Parks" name won't affect my opinion of Disneyland or my enjoyment of the park.

• The doctor is in

I think having land specific cups, or whatever else, is a bit much. To me it would just appear to be another tactic to get people to spend money in each land.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I suppose there are many minor annoyances that disturb the guests that visit both Disneyland, Disney World, and even the over seas parks. However, until all of these minor annoyances give most guests a major reason to stop spending their money, things will stay as they are.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I remember when the hotel's shampoo was hotel, then resort specific. Miss that too.
    If the soap wrappers and shampoo bottles were themed to each resort it would encourage some freaks to stay at the different resorts to build up their collections. (Source: the WSJ)

George K. might be smart enough to talk Staggs into celebrating each park and resort with themed cups and wrappers. I guess I don't really NEED a Critter Country (or whatever it is called now) napkin, but remember Walt's annoyed response when a construction worker on his backyard train said it would be cheaper to not have the tunnel turn.
    "It'd be cheaper not to build it at all!"

• world class bilge rat

Disney Parks sounds too corporate.

DL already suffers enough at the hands of TDC, there's no need to make it any worse.

• Big Al

What she said!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast